Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,095 members, 7,825,456 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 03:11 PM

My Employer Is Threatening To Sack Me Because I Am Pregnant - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / My Employer Is Threatening To Sack Me Because I Am Pregnant (22954 Views)

My Former Employer Is About To Cheat Me, Please Help / My Employer Is Taking Advantage Of Me / My Lebanese Boss Promises To Sack Me When Next I Bend Or Try To Collect His Bag (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Employer Is Threatening To Sack Me Because I Am Pregnant by enigma2007(m): 3:49pm On Jul 26, 2016
Originalsly:
Very enlightening post. But seems like this means nothing to most.... they prefer to remain ignorant of the laws that protect them and be still wondering why companies continue to sack them. Like Coco law commented... the ignorance on this thread is staggering.

I won't blame them o! The relevant institutions that are supposed to enforce some of our laws had been bastardized and render inept for a long time hence most Nigerians are not aware of the laws that are designed to help and protect their rights.

As for me, i intentionally looked and read the Nigerian constitution and some of the other laws in order to know my rights. In fact, the day i saw the kind of powers that was vested in the Nigerian police...fear catch me o!

I believed that the OP should contact a labor lawyer as suggested by CoCoLav.
Re: My Employer Is Threatening To Sack Me Because I Am Pregnant by Nobody: 3:53pm On Jul 26, 2016
Pregnant women are not fully productive especially if you work as a PA. PAs are supposed to run errands and pregnant women can't do well in that aspect. You may get lucky and not be sacked but you may as well consider resigning.

Personally, I would not employ a pregnant girl unless her pregnancy is an asset.

People that tell you to get a labor lawyer fail to understand one thing. You failed to disclose your pregnancy status prior to employment. Don't say that you did not know cos you are an adult. You already erred by not disclosing to your employers that you were pregnant. In a civil suit, it will be used against you. Again, PA work is not for pregnant women cos they can't handle the work load.

You better chin up, pray and hope for the best if you can't resign.

2 Likes

Re: My Employer Is Threatening To Sack Me Because I Am Pregnant by Olabestonic001(m): 4:00pm On Jul 26, 2016
suasmablow:
Abort the baby
The times are hard
Getting a job now isn't any easy
But u can get babies anytime u desire again
#Bittertruth

Foolish Truth! When we are campaigning to end abortion, one evil man is campaigning of killing a foetus.
I pity folks like you. Would it have been great if you were aborted?
So, for one foolish job like that (even if its Shell Corporations) a foetus should be murdered, right?
HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM.
Re: My Employer Is Threatening To Sack Me Because I Am Pregnant by onyeawka80(m): 4:03pm On Jul 26, 2016
OEmiohe:
No, not at all I was not told anything about that and
they didn't tell me if there was a rule like that or not. she only mentioned that if only I had been working with them long be4 I got pregnant she would have not said anything.
my dear u ve said it all. Pls put ur self togeda and put ur child condition first. Wish u d best
Re: My Employer Is Threatening To Sack Me Because I Am Pregnant by Nobody: 4:04pm On Jul 26, 2016
Olabestonic001:

Lets just say the Organization is not baby friendly.
Why discriminate against babies for GOD sake. That's one disadvantage of running a full capitalist economy.
Very very few organisations in Nigeria are 'baby friendly'.
I don't know if she was given an employment letter/staff handbook, she may need to go over it again.

2 Likes

Re: My Employer Is Threatening To Sack Me Because I Am Pregnant by klassic(m): 4:11pm On Jul 26, 2016
OEmiohe:
I got a job as a school administrator within my area two months ago without knowing I was already pregnant. I enjoy my job and every day I am researching on how I can improve the school but suddenly I observed I was about 2 months pregnant and I told the director due to the fact that I work directly with her as her PA and School administrator .

one major reason I told her was because I felt she was a pastor and she might not be angry but to my surprise after I told her attitude changed towards me she instructed the principal to issue a probation letter of 3 months to me, and also she told me DAT I would go and rest and DAT I would not be benefitical to
them. the worst part is DAT she had be acting cold towards me and has taken off most of my duties from me. I feel bad and I don't know what to do now.
pls do you advice I do especially now secure it a job is only by God's grace.

Truth, if I were u, I will be praying he sacks me on that ground. All you need do is be on alert. When next he makes that treats, record it on phone. That's prema facie evidence. Sue the bastard for discremination and for breach of your Fundamental Human Right. He will close his case to pay damages especially if you sue him at the National Industrial Court (NIC).
The last time I appeared before the NIC the court gave judgement in favour of a man whose appointment was terminated because the company did a mandatory medical test , discovered he was HIV positive and consequently terminated his appointment.
Re: My Employer Is Threatening To Sack Me Because I Am Pregnant by JustHere2Observ(f): 4:22pm On Jul 26, 2016
Its sad and totally unfair, pregnancy is not a disease that will render one useless but for the selfish reasons of employers and the need to use their employees like slave make them do the most unimaginable things.
If your boss insists you leave, then go, you dont need all that bad energy for you or your baby.
Its difficult in a country where unemployment is the new black to get a new job and keep one. Your health matters and your baby does too, find something else to do. So sorry.
Re: My Employer Is Threatening To Sack Me Because I Am Pregnant by JustHere2Observ(f): 4:26pm On Jul 26, 2016
skitcentral:
Pregnant women are not fully productive especially if you work as a PA. PAs are supposed to run errands and pregnant women can't do well in that aspect. You may get lucky and not be sacked but you may as well consider resigning.

Personally, I would not employ a pregnant girl unless her pregnancy is an asset.

People that tell you to get a labor lawyer fail to understand one thing. You failed to disclose your pregnancy status prior to employment. Don't say that you did not know cos you are an adult. You already erred by not disclosing to your employers that you were pregnant. In a civil suit, it will be used against you. Again, PA work is not for pregnant women cos they can't handle the work load.

You better chin up, pray and hope for the best if you can't resign.

Why is PA work not for pregnant women? Surely it can't be as difficult as pregnant nurses or doctors that work all round the clock, expose themselves to harzards and stand for hours.
Or can it be as difficult as pregnant women hawking in the sun to make a living? And besides its possible not to know one is pregnant, she is just 2 months pregnant not 6 months.
Re: My Employer Is Threatening To Sack Me Because I Am Pregnant by JustHere2Observ(f): 4:29pm On Jul 26, 2016
slap1:

Same question on my mind. Are you married or you're pregnant for your boyfriend? Two different things that should get two different actions from your employer who you say is a pastor.

She is an adult not a child, the so called pastor has no right to judge her based on her marital status. It just shows the "pastor" is an hypocrite.
Re: My Employer Is Threatening To Sack Me Because I Am Pregnant by Nobody: 4:35pm On Jul 26, 2016
JustHere2Observ:

Why is PA work not for pregnant women? Surely it can't be as difficult as pregnant nurses or doctors that work all round the clock, expose themselves to harzards and stand for hours.
Or can it be as difficult as pregnant women hawking in the sun to make a living? And besides its possible not to know one is pregnant, she is just 2 months pregnant not 6 months.

Because a PA is an errand boy or girl. The general thinking is think a pregnant woman should not be put under undue stress for health reasons. Pregnant women are just not reliable. They can fall sick at anytime or have antenatal engagements. Also, certain stressful tasks You can't give her.

Yes they hawk in the sun, for survival. But that's a different case than a white collar job. Nurses and doctors are another thing. They don't face that kind of stress that you stated. They get lots of reprieve when they become pregnant, even enjoy huge 2 months leave before and 4 months leave after delivery.

As for knowing and not knowing, I believe you are an adult. I've known many women and I know how panicky they get when they miss their periods for just a few days.

Now tell me, what do you do when you miss your period for a whole month?!!! You'd be something else if you don't know that you're a month pregnant.
Re: My Employer Is Threatening To Sack Me Because I Am Pregnant by JustHere2Observ(f): 4:40pm On Jul 26, 2016
Kobicove:

There are Always two sides to a story so your wife may not have told you the whole truth here.

The fact that your wife was pregnant does not mean she should not do her job diligently.

Some pregnant ladies tend to go about with a feeling of entitlement, take things for granted and generally think they can stroll in and stroll out of the office anytime they like under the pretex of Morning Sickness.

Pregnancy is not a disease!

Not every employer can tolorate that sort of insolence...

It is very unreasonable for you to assume a new role and expect to just 'run off' after less than 6 months on the job under the pretext of being pregnant.

Would you be happy to pay a new employee for 3 months not to mention the additional burden of having to find a replacement during the period of incapacity?

As far as I'm concerned the information regarding the pregnancy should have been made available to the employer at the interview state so he\she can make an informed choice on who to hire.

I have worked with some very harworking ladies who did their job efficiently till they put to bed...once you can demonstrate that you are adding value then I see no reason why you should have any problems smiley

The only other issue here is the woman's role as a pastor and role model...having an unmarried pregnant personal assistant will make her look like a hypocrite

In as much as I want to agree with you, I can't because it doesn't make sense. Yes pregnancy is no disease, but it doesn't mean one should be treated as if nothing strange or tiring is happening to the pregnant woman. There are days you just feel so tired for no reasons, its not because she wants to feel that way. This country just does not protect or care for the lives of its citizens. In America, once you notify your boss you are pregnant, he is mandated not to give you extra work, not to prevent you from any doctor's appointment and not discriminate.
If they didn't want a pregnant lady, they should have stated they wanted a male employee, simple. Na desperation dey make person call cow brother.
Re: My Employer Is Threatening To Sack Me Because I Am Pregnant by JustHere2Observ(f): 4:46pm On Jul 26, 2016
skitcentral:

Because a PA is an errand boy or girl. The general thinking is think a pregnant woman should not be put under undue stress for health reasons. Pregnant women are just not reliable. They can fall sick at anytime or have antenatal engagements. Also, certain stressful tasks You can't give her.

Yes they hawk in the sun, for survival. But that's a different case than a white collar job. Nurses and doctors are another thing. They don't face that kind of stress that you stated. They get lots of reprieve when they become pregnant, even enjoy huge 2 months leave before and 4 months leave after delivery.

As for knowing and not knowing, I believe you are an adult. I've known many women and I know how panicky they get when they miss their periods for just a few days.

Now tell me, what do you do when you miss your period for a whole month?!!! You'd be something else if you don't know that you're a month pregnant.

Please that of the nurses and doctors you cant tell me because I'm in the profession and I know what it like. My point is if a woman has been certified by her doctor to be a no risk pregnant woman it doesn't stop her from doing any PA work. As for the period thing, you dont know if she has a regular period or not, for some one with irregular period, not expecting to be pregnant will not be bothered if she misses a period or two.
I know a colleague who was 3 months and she didn't know, until she started having abdominal pains and scans were requested by the doctor. So yea its possible.
If they dont want the risk of employing someone that might be pregnant, they should employ just males.
Re: My Employer Is Threatening To Sack Me Because I Am Pregnant by trendyprettygir: 4:54pm On Jul 26, 2016
freemanbubble:
ok. that is why federal job is beautiful. no one threatens you with sack. the money keeps on coming even when the nation economy is bad because the president have no choice! even buhari that is sturborn still pays us on 25th of every month. the females in my working place gets up to four months of maternity leave when they put to bed. this does not include the normal annual leave and the seven days casual leave every staff is entittled to. adding all together they might spend up to six months at home and keep on receiving salary alert.
anyway, don't be afraid of sacking my dear. when one door of happiness closes another one is opened but most often we look too much at the closed door that we don realize the one that has been opened for us. i wish you and your baby happiness. when i have the opportunity i will communicate with you if am giving a slot in my place of work.

Nigerians are funny.

How about personal development and growth? When last did you do any training or add a new certification?

That's why some federal and even state ministries are nothing to write home about in terms of quality of employees
Re: My Employer Is Threatening To Sack Me Because I Am Pregnant by slap1(m): 4:55pm On Jul 26, 2016
JustHere2Observ:

She is an adult not a child, the so called pastor has no right to judge her based on her marital status. It just shows the "pastor" is an hypocrite.

I don't quite agree. It's not about having the RIGHT to judge, it's about morality. If she is not married and is pregnant, the pastor may see it as endorsing sex before marriage which may not sit well with the pastor.

And mind you, I don't support the pastor. I'm just giving you possibilities.

1 Like

Re: My Employer Is Threatening To Sack Me Because I Am Pregnant by Nobody: 5:01pm On Jul 26, 2016
JustHere2Observ:

Please that of the nurses and doctors you cant tell me because I'm in the profession and I know what it like. My point is if a woman has been certified by her doctor to be a no risk pregnant woman it doesn't stop her from doing any PA work. As for the period thing, you dont know if she has a regular period or not, for some one with irregular period, not expecting to be pregnant will not be bothered if she misses a period or two.
I know a colleague who was 3 months and she didn't know, until she started having abdominal pains and scans were requested by the doctor. So yea its possible.
If they dont want the risk of employing someone that might be pregnant, they should employ just males.

Your colleague missed her period for three months and she didn't bother to find out why Does that sound normal to you? Or had she entered menopause?

While you may know much about the medical field, I also know much because I argue from experience. Though I would agree that some pregnant women are strong. But other than the government service, I don't think there's a private company or firm that would employ a pregnant woman unless she is an asset. So I still won't blame her employer. And really, like really, if I ever meet an educated woman who doesn't know that she's two months pregnant, I'll look at her with one eye. What were you doing when you were missing your so called irregular period two months in a row? Praising and thanking Jesus for curing your flow of blood?

1 Like

Re: My Employer Is Threatening To Sack Me Because I Am Pregnant by Nobody: 5:11pm On Jul 26, 2016
JustHere2Observ:
Its sad and totally unfair, pregnancy is not a disease that will render one useless but for the selfish reasons of employers and the need to use their employees like slave make them do the most unimaginable things.
If your boss insists you leave, then go, you dont need all that bad energy for you or your baby.
Its difficult in a country where unemployment is the new black to get a new job and keep one. Your health matters and your baby does too, find something else to do. So sorry.

You fail to realize that an organization doesn't make decisions based on emotions and sentiments like humans, even if i did the best job for my org and brought them profit, if they decide to sack me, it won't take sentiments into consideration.
Re: My Employer Is Threatening To Sack Me Because I Am Pregnant by JustHere2Observ(f): 5:12pm On Jul 26, 2016
skitcentral:

Your colleague missed her period for three months and she didn't bother to find out why Does that sound normal to you? Or had she entered menopause?

While you may know much about the medical field, I also know much because I argue from experience. Though I would agree that some pregnant women are strong. But other than the government service, I don't think there's a private company or firm that would employ a pregnant woman unless she is an asset. So I still won't blame her employer. And really, like really, if I ever meet an educated woman who doesn't know that she's two months pregnant, I'll look at her with one eye. What were you doing when you were missing your so called irregular period two months in a row? Praising and thanking Jesus for curing your flow of blood?

Yes it was normal to her because she had PCOS that causes irregular periods. Some may not see it for as long as 6 months sef, so dont just write off every woman that is pregnant and doesn't know.
There are better ways to have handled the matter, let her keep her employment and go on maternity leave without pay.
Re: My Employer Is Threatening To Sack Me Because I Am Pregnant by JustHere2Observ(f): 5:13pm On Jul 26, 2016
pcguru1:

You fail to realize that an organization doesn't make decisions based on emotions and sentiments like humans, even if i did the best job for my org and brought them profit, if they decide to sack me, it won't take sentiments into consideration.

I know and I dont argue that, its just sad that we see our fellow humans as a means to something. That is slavery.
Re: My Employer Is Threatening To Sack Me Because I Am Pregnant by Nobody: 5:14pm On Jul 26, 2016
JustHere2Observ:

or females that are not pregnant, companies don't discriminate against pregnant women, but imagine just employing someone and she's already pregnant, she's not going to be at full capacity, unless you're saying regardless of her pregnancy they should still force work on her, if she's someone that's been working and got pregnant there would be no problem.
Re: My Employer Is Threatening To Sack Me Because I Am Pregnant by Nobody: 5:16pm On Jul 26, 2016
JustHere2Observ:

I know and I dont argue that, its just sad that we see our fellow humans as a means to something. That is slavery.

My dear , there's nothing that beats self employment.
Re: My Employer Is Threatening To Sack Me Because I Am Pregnant by JustHere2Observ(f): 5:17pm On Jul 26, 2016
pcguru1:

My dear , there's nothing that beats self employment.

Yes oo. May God help this generation and the one to come
Re: My Employer Is Threatening To Sack Me Because I Am Pregnant by Nobody: 5:17pm On Jul 26, 2016
JustHere2Observ:

Yes it was normal to her because she had PCOS that causes irregular periods. Some may not see it for as long as 6 months sef, so dont just write off every woman that is pregnant and doesn't know.
There are better ways to have handled the matter, let her keep her employment and go on maternity leave without pay.

Oh now I see. Rare cases. You're right. Only that I see you work in America and this is Nigeria. This is the jungle. Different rules. Except she works in the civil service, hardly any private firm wants to employ a pregnant woman.
Re: My Employer Is Threatening To Sack Me Because I Am Pregnant by Originalsly: 5:25pm On Jul 26, 2016
enigma2007:

I won't blame them o! The relevant institutions that are supposed to enforce some of our laws had been bastardized and render inept for a long time hence most Nigerians are not aware of the laws that are designed to help and protect their rights.

As for me, i intentionally looked and read the Nigerian constitution and some of the other laws in order to know my rights. In fact, the day i saw the kind of powers that was vested in the Nigerian police...fear catch me o!

I believed that the OP should contact a labor lawyer as suggested by CoCoLav.
True.... but Eph has taken time out to enlighten us but yet too many prefer to remain in darkness. And yes ...many institutions have been bastardise but it doesn't mean we must use that as an excuse not to fight for our rights. When we don't this is exactly what happens... we are treated as slaves.. as if we have no rights. Does he know how many judges be itching for someone to file a lawsuit against these slave drivers?... itching to make them pay dearly?.... but that's our problem... complain to each other but do nothing.... then condemn Nigeria and run to the US that has pretty much the same laws. And we wonder why the Arabs and the Indians and the Chinese can come and enslave and maltreatment us in our own land. I won't blame them o!

1 Like

Re: My Employer Is Threatening To Sack Me Because I Am Pregnant by sunnyside16(m): 5:44pm On Jul 26, 2016
NwaNimo1:
That's life I'm afraid.....there is no law in Nigeria that protects pregnant women from discrimination

This is one of the conditions employers do have but won't make it known.
Re: My Employer Is Threatening To Sack Me Because I Am Pregnant by Princepoint(m): 5:55pm On Jul 26, 2016
if there there is an agreement that you would not get pregnant within a specific period of
Time during ur service he has the right to terminate your appointment if not he has no right to do that
Re: My Employer Is Threatening To Sack Me Because I Am Pregnant by flokii: 8:01pm On Jul 26, 2016
haconjy:
then abort it....funny
is because u r faithful to him so he believe your pregnant may have negative effect on him..

grin

Smh.. Did you read the write up atal??

Funny man
Re: My Employer Is Threatening To Sack Me Because I Am Pregnant by lollmaolol(m): 8:02pm On Jul 26, 2016
Why should you be afraid, we have preggies even at the almighty PwC, standard chartered bank name giant organisations. Your boss is simply preggy-phobic.
Re: My Employer Is Threatening To Sack Me Because I Am Pregnant by Ekeseges(f): 8:52pm On Jul 26, 2016
MY SISTER CHOOSE THE PREGNANCY AND FORGET THAT JOB OOOOO.JOB WOULD SURELY COME.YOUR MARRIAGE COMES FIRST.
Re: My Employer Is Threatening To Sack Me Because I Am Pregnant by ubiR(f): 10:09pm On Jul 26, 2016
OEmiohe:
I got a job as a school administrator within my area two months ago without knowing I was already pregnant. I enjoy my job and every day I am researching on how I can improve the school but suddenly I observed I was about 2 months pregnant and I told the director due to the fact that I work directly with her as her PA and School administrator .

one major reason I told her was because I felt she was a pastor and she might not be angry but to my surprise after I told her attitude changed towards me she instructed the principal to issue a probation letter of 3 months to me, and also she told me DAT I would go and rest and DAT I would not be benefitical to
them. the worst part is DAT she had be acting cold towards me and has taken off most of my duties from me. I feel bad and I don't know what to do now.
pls do you advice I do especially now secure it a job is only by God's grace.
almost in same boat with u, I got a job with a sch as a front desk officer, am married. The interview was conducted early this month and I was asked to come collect appointment letter next week to resume when sch resumes. Just few days back, I found out am few weeks pregnant and am sure it will show by Sept. Don't know how the sch will take it. But my family comes first.
Re: My Employer Is Threatening To Sack Me Because I Am Pregnant by ugonna1054(m): 10:10pm On Jul 26, 2016
haconjy:
then abort it....funny
is because u r faithful to him so he believe your pregnant may have negative effect on him..
wat are u sayingg
Re: My Employer Is Threatening To Sack Me Because I Am Pregnant by Nobody: 3:50am On Jul 27, 2016
I agree with the employer.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Possible Career Path For A Physics Graduate / Newly Promoted 78 Senior Officer Of The Nigerian Navy (see Names) / Nigerian Man Turns Down A 200k Job, Because He Loves His Job Of 50k

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.