Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,345 members, 7,819,231 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 01:05 PM

Monetary Policy Committee Raises MPR To 14% - Business (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Monetary Policy Committee Raises MPR To 14% (10919 Views)

UBA Security Guard Returns $10,000 To Its Owner, Gets Lots Of Monetary Gift / CBN Raises MPR To 14%. / New Monetary Policy Pulls Out N744bn From Circulation (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Monetary Policy Committee Raises MPR To 14% by legendsilver(m): 7:30am On Jul 27, 2016
fr3do:
Somebody sai baba
somebody sai baba

cheesy

some people should have put their eggs in one basket o.

Buhari is incapable of running this country, he should resign!
see as you carry buhari matter for head, chai na wao

Re: Monetary Policy Committee Raises MPR To 14% by teemy(m): 7:38am On Jul 27, 2016
kinmarax:
I am intested in sound and profitable business ideas from smart Nigerians within a decent investment threshold. Please, I will really appreciate if you can send me a detailed plan of the business, the cost implication (office rent inclusive), the profit margin, the partnership terms and expected time to break even to enable me make an informed decision about investing. Am looking at an initial investment of a little over a million Naira and subsequent investment depending on the profitability. Contact me on: sundayjiana@yahoo.com please ensure you drop your phone number should I require further clarification. Thank you
my email: sundayjiana@yahoo.com

Try posting in the investment/business section https://www.nairaland.com/investment https://www.nairaland.com/business
Re: Monetary Policy Committee Raises MPR To 14% by waice6571: 7:38am On Jul 27, 2016
What happened to open window policy for trading # as against $?

What is the matter with #50 constitutional backed postage stamp duty policy?

Increament on import duty and export duty.

Increament on Electricity tariff.

Fuel subsidy removal.

More companies and individual inside tax web.

All of these and other unannounced policies in just 1year Yet, life is becoming unbearable for the masses daily.

I see all these mesures as a delibrate attempt to keep people impoverished so as to compound their already worse inferiority complex.

A delibrate policy of curtailment.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Monetary Policy Committee Raises MPR To 14% by kokosheen(m): 7:39am On Jul 27, 2016
The CBN govr should be sacked asap. How PMB continues to retain this man to continue to destroy the economy is so baffling. Imagine being left with a choice of either voting to restart growth of the economy and theoretically fighting inflation, this man decided to go against the established norm in the Nigerian economy!!!
Once the MPR is raised, inflation rises in nigeria. So this man is destroying the little hope of kickstarting the economy by increasing lending rate to the common man.
I don dey tire for this govt.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Monetary Policy Committee Raises MPR To 14% by danigbo(m): 7:42am On Jul 27, 2016
Many mad. ..Few roaming !
Re: Monetary Policy Committee Raises MPR To 14% by danigbo(m): 7:44am On Jul 27, 2016
Many mad. ..Few roaming !..
Re: Monetary Policy Committee Raises MPR To 14% by berrystunn(m): 7:45am On Jul 27, 2016
So Buhari study this and approved

Am sure 120*% he did not understand.

Joking with 180m people.

3 Likes

Re: Monetary Policy Committee Raises MPR To 14% by IBBG(m): 7:49am On Jul 27, 2016
na wa o . i thought we were going thru stagflation. i thought emefiele will stimulate d economy by relaxing the monetary policy rate to increase money in circulation thereby stimulating demand leading to increase in production theoretically. increasing the MPR will lead to cost push inflation instead of demand pull inflaton. to me as a layman, i rather have a demand pull inflation than a cost push inflation.

4 Likes

Re: Monetary Policy Committee Raises MPR To 14% by onatisi(m): 7:54am On Jul 27, 2016
berrystunn:
So Buhari study this and approved

Am sure 120*% he did not understand.

Joking with 180m people.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Monetary Policy Committee Raises MPR To 14% by iambrafia231: 8:10am On Jul 27, 2016
the CBN governor is really making things more difficult for Nigerians. An increase in interest rate will send the economy into more problems and a possible cash crunch is eminent.

you are talking about diversifying the economy but you are making access to capital more expensive. what an irony!

3 Likes

Re: Monetary Policy Committee Raises MPR To 14% by ATTAHDYE(m): 8:12am On Jul 27, 2016
with inflation already at 16% , this hike in interest rate is insensitive and will push cost of doing business up and inflation to over 20%

1 Like

Re: Monetary Policy Committee Raises MPR To 14% by Ahmed3rdjuly: 8:19am On Jul 27, 2016
who on earth will increase MPR in a time of weak production and weak demand (Stagflation)?
Only CBN in this whole world can shamelessly do this.
t times like this you only use quantitative easing to increase investments in productions which will in turn force down prices
They should learn from Obamas economic policy

2 Likes

Re: Monetary Policy Committee Raises MPR To 14% by Disraelee: 8:26am On Jul 27, 2016
[quote author=tradeplusib post=47911819]These guys dont know how to gamble at all...... grin

Trading the naira has become the only profitable business with a lot of large players favouring the odds against the naira. Obviously they have their facts, but at some point it has become a open party where the lines have been blurred.

Unfortunately i think inflation at 16% is still not real, on the street it feels more like 20% plus. nothing has changed this market.[/quote Even at 16% it is an economic disaster having a two digits inflation rate
Re: Monetary Policy Committee Raises MPR To 14% by Nobody: 8:40am On Jul 27, 2016
This simply means CBN will take deposits from banks at 12% then give loan to banks at 16% making CBN to make a spread of +4....on the other side banks will review their lending rates higher to make up for the hight cost of funds from CBN...
This monetary tool sbud bring down the inflation rate as there will be a downtrend in liquidity.But because naija economy is witnessing stagnation and inflation at the same time,this consumer price index may not go down

2 Likes

Re: Monetary Policy Committee Raises MPR To 14% by cecegorz(m): 8:44am On Jul 27, 2016
Firefire:

This is no longer an inflation but hyperinflation. => 87.3% increase within 1 Yr ?. embarassed

Nice one bro.
The YoY analysis puts the super increasing inflation into proper tangent.
Looking at just the June headline of 16.% looks mild, in as much as i know it's a conservative figure.

I can imagine with 14% MPR, by the time banks adjust lending rates upwards, many more borrowing businesses will just DIE for failure to meet up with their debt obligations.
This is really the time for people to tighten their belt, it's gonna be a long long rough ride ahead...

4 Likes

Re: Monetary Policy Committee Raises MPR To 14% by Firefire(m): 8:52am On Jul 27, 2016
cecegorz:

Nice one bro.
The YoY analysis puts the super increasing inflation into proper tangent.
Looking at just the June headline of 16.% looks mild, in as much as i know it's a conservative figure.

I can imagine with 14% MPR, by the time banks adjust lending rates upwards, many more borrowing businesses will just DIE for failure to meet up with their debt obligations.

This is really the time for people to tighten their belt, it's gonna be a long long rough ride ahead...

Thank you sir.

Unfortunately, we Nigerians are not addressing the issue, we are busy raising accusation and counter accusation for and against.

The real suffering and impact of this hyperinflation is real within the economy, Nigerians are suffering with no hope in sight, while the elites are busy padding budget and stacking their loots in foreign accounts.

Tougher days ahead...

May God deliver Nigeria.

Shalom!

3 Likes

Re: Monetary Policy Committee Raises MPR To 14% by Willie2015: 8:57am On Jul 27, 2016
danjumakolo:
This simply means CBN will take deposits from banks at 12% then give loan to banks at 16% making CBN to make a spread of +4....on the other side banks will review their lending rates higher to make up for the hight cost of funds from CBN...
This monetary tool sbud bring down the inflation rate as there will be a downtrend in liquidity.But because naija economy is witnessing stagnation and inflation at the same time,this consumer price index may not go down

We are in for a long ride in Nigeria, Banks will not give loans, civil servants are being owed salaries, manufacturing sector are facing tough days, oil and gas sector facing their own problems.
Banks will resort to their lazy ways of making money, place your excess fund into Treasury Bills, it is better for their fund to be safe rather than loosing it in the name of Non performing loans.

2 Likes

Re: Monetary Policy Committee Raises MPR To 14% by myopinion2011: 9:15am On Jul 27, 2016
eddyjibs:
Them go avoid this thread like plague. Olodos. No wonder buhari see dem scam
on point boss.
Re: Monetary Policy Committee Raises MPR To 14% by henrijin: 10:42am On Jul 27, 2016
kinmarax:
I am intested in sound and profitable business ideas from smart Nigerians within a decent investment threshold. Please, I will really appreciate if you can send me a detailed plan of the business, the cost implication (office rent inclusive), the profit margin, the partnership terms and expected time to break even to enable me make an informed decision about investing. Am looking at an initial investment of a little over a million Naira and subsequent investment depending on the profitability. Contact me on: sundayjiana@yahoo.com please ensure you drop your phone number should I require further clarification. Thank you
my email: sundayjiana@yahoo.com

Nice one. More power to your elbow.
Re: Monetary Policy Committee Raises MPR To 14% by Seun(m): 11:34am On Jul 27, 2016
Adesiji77:

http://businessdayonline.com/monetary-policy-committee-raises-mpr-to-14-2/ lalasticlala, dominique, Mynd44, davide470, Truth234
Ok, there is no longer any doubt about the fact that these guys are bleeps. What the Bleep is wrong with them? How can you drastically raise the MPR after acknowledging that the country is in a recession? These ppl will wreck the economy completely if something drastic is not done.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Monetary Policy Committee Raises MPR To 14% by Bakason247(m): 12:08pm On Jul 27, 2016
MPR Means Monetary policy Rate (MPR), it is the minimum interest rate commercial banks are permitted to charge while granting credit facilities to customers.

IMPLICATIONS OF INCREASE OF MPR FROM 12% TO 14%.

1. Banks will automatically increase their lending rate to customers.
2. Interest payable by commercial banks on savings account will increase from 3.6% per annum to 4.2% per annum.
3. Bank will automatically review their Fixed Deposit Rate upwards.

Hope this answers the question of non economist in the house.

1 Like

Re: Monetary Policy Committee Raises MPR To 14% by Truth234(m): 1:54pm On Jul 27, 2016
Seun:
Ok, there is no longer any doubt about the fact that these guys are bleeps. What the Bleep is wrong with them? How can you drastically raise the MPR after acknowledging that the country is in a recession? These ppl will wreck the economy completely if something drastic is not done.

God will bless you, imagine receiving a letter from your bank that your supposed interest rate has been increased by 200 basis points. All because CBN wants foreign investors to bring in dollar. So the masses should suffer.

This third quarter unemployment rate will skyrocket most companies we have to cut costs to meet financial obligations.

1 Like

Re: Monetary Policy Committee Raises MPR To 14% by cckris: 3:04pm On Jul 27, 2016
waice6571:

What happened to open window policy for trading # as against $?

What is the matter with #50 constitutional backed postage stamp duty policy?

Increment on import duty and export duty.

Increment on Electricity tariff.

Fuel subsidy removal.

More companies and individual inside tax web.

All of these and other unannounced policies in just 1year Yet, life is becoming unbearable for the masses daily.

I see all these measures as a deliberate attempt to KEEP PEOPLE IMPOVERISHED so as to compound their already worse inferiority complex.

More of a Political Decision than an Economic Policy

2 Likes

Re: Monetary Policy Committee Raises MPR To 14% by kafeii123: 3:14pm On Jul 27, 2016
Emefiele and Buhari thought macroeconomics cares any hoot about "Body Language" or blind patriotism (Buy naija to grow naira abi how dey been advertise am sef).

http://nairametrics.com/emefiele-needs-to-do-this-one-last-thing-to-attract-foreign-investors/

and rather than to stimulate growth, our CBN governors (Buhari+emefiele+shadow bizmen) decided to go chasing inflation as if the price of anything in Nigeria has ever gone down in recent history.

NDA and their sister avengers on the other hand are just bleeping stupid except if they're stealing oil to go sell abroad in which case one may hope some "unbooked" dollars is entering this country without reaching Abuja for sharing and this, if not for the accompanying environmental damage I wont mind.
Re: Monetary Policy Committee Raises MPR To 14% by cckris: 3:16pm On Jul 27, 2016
Seun:

PDP Leaders are just laughing. One more false POLICY, & 2019 Elections are done. No need to say more.

1 Like

Re: Monetary Policy Committee Raises MPR To 14% by JAkpayen(m): 4:22pm On Jul 27, 2016
@Seun & Truth234,
As CBN governor which will you combat first between Higher Inflation and Higher Unemployment? I bet you unemployment will not skyrocket but rather workers pay may be reduced so that unemployment is avoided.

kafeii123:
Emefiele and Buhari thought macroeconomics cares any hoot about "Body Language" or blind patriotism (Buy naija to grow naira abi how dey been advertise am sef).
http://nairametrics.com/emefiele-needs-to-do-this-one-last-thing-to-attract-foreign-investors/
and rather than to stimulate growth, our CBN governors (Buhari+emefiele+shadow bizmen) decided to go chasing inflation as if the price of anything in Nigeria has ever gone down in recent history.
NDA and their sister avengers on the other hand are just bleeping stupid except if they're stealing oil to go sell abroad in which case one may hope some "unbooked" dollars is entering this country without reaching Abuja for sharing and this, if not for the accompanying environmental damage I wont mind.
Bolded: the CBN policy to increase MPR to 14% is aimed at stabilizing the economy amidst skyrocketing prices.
Re: Monetary Policy Committee Raises MPR To 14% by Adesiji77: 5:51pm On Jul 27, 2016
@Seun: It is apparent that MPC/CBN took a gamble with this rate hike.

Since the country is experiencing stagflation at the moment, most analysts expected the MPC to leave the benchmark rate at 12% but those guys shocked almost everyone with their decision.

In other news, naira weakened to N330/dollar at the interbank market today.

@Truth234: Borrowing customers are already getting those letters i.e. increase of interest rate on their loans.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Monetary Policy Committee Raises MPR To 14% by kafeii123: 11:39pm On Jul 27, 2016
JAkpayen:
@Seun & Truth234,
As CBN governor which will you combat first between Higher Inflation and Higher Unemployment? I bet you unemployment will not skyrocket but rather workers pay may be reduced so that unemployment is avoided.

Bolded: the CBN policy to increase MPR to 14% is aimed at stabilizing the economy amidst skyrocketing prices.

an MPR increase speaks only in favour of attracting FDI as I see it, yet that alone is just one out of many things that gurantees FDI. Even if I'd gain 100% in six months, I'd think more than twice before sinking my money in a place where I wont find it easy to get my money out whenever I want to, so other fiscal polices must accompany this policy else it may perform far below hopes.

Reducing workers' pay is a rare occurrence in this country if it at all ever happens.
And despite the banning and un-bannings, demand for most of the banned items has hardly abated, the bans have only succeeded in profiting smugglers, corrupt customs officials and others close to power.

I'd support the cbn removing all controls to eliminate arbitrage but the opportunists are hip-joined to those in charge so "over their dead body" and the rich don't die easily
Re: Monetary Policy Committee Raises MPR To 14% by Seun(m): 1:49am On Jul 28, 2016
JAkpayen:
@Seun & Truth234,
Unfortunately, this almost never happens and there's no logical reason to believe that it will happen this time. Wages are known to be sticky.
Re: Monetary Policy Committee Raises MPR To 14% by JAkpayen(m): 9:51am On Jul 28, 2016
kafeii123:

an MPR increase speaks only in favour of attracting FDI as I see it, yet that alone is just one out of many things that gurantees FDI. Even if I'd gain 100% in six months, I'd think more than twice before sinking my money in a place where I wont find it easy to get my money out whenever I want to, so other fiscal polices must accompany this policy else it may perform far below hopes.

Reducing workers' pay is a rare occurrence in this country if it at all ever happens.
And despite the banning and un-bannings, demand for most of the banned items has hardly abated, the bans have only succeeded in profiting smugglers, corrupt customs officials and others close to power.

I'd support the cbn removing all controls to eliminate arbitrage but the opportunists are hip-joined to those in charge so "over their dead body" and the rich don't die easily
Do you know that the US FOMC had planned to increase its rate? Reason was to return core inflation to 2% and they watch improvement in labor market as a criteria. Does this mean they want to attract FDI? NO.

It is the FG that can attract FDI into the economy and create the conducive environment to improve employment but because we have non-existent or weak macroeconomic policy in place, hence the situation of the economy. In its decision, the MPC stated that they want to stabilise price and the financial system thus inflation needs to be controlled. Let's wait until the end of this quarter to see if things improve. I'm sure if the economy improves by their next meeting in September, the tone might change.
Re: Monetary Policy Committee Raises MPR To 14% by Truth234(m): 4:11pm On Jul 28, 2016
JAkpayen:

Do you know that the US FOMC had planned to increase its rate? Reason was to return core inflation to 2% and they watch improvement in labor market as a criteria. Does this mean they want to attract FDI? NO.

It is the FG that can attract FDI into the economy and create the conducive environment to improve employment but because we have non-existent or weak macroeconomic policy in place, hence the situation of the economy. In its decision, the MPC stated that they want to stabilise price and the financial system thus inflation needs to be controlled. Let's wait until the end of this quarter to see if things improve. I'm sure if the economy improves by their next meeting in September, the tone might change.

Federal Open Market Committee (FOMC) led by Janet Yellen actually aborted plans to hike rate yesterday, even with over 8-year low unemployment rate. The reason wasn't to return inflation to 2 percent target, but to allow the FED time to monitor improvement in the labor market and consumer spending that has been sustain the economy since the oil downturn started.

The Fed chair said Brexit will impact whatever decision they will take henceforth. She understood global risks, this is where Nigeria MPC differ. They thinks they can lure foreign investors with high interest rates at the expense of the masses and control inflation by raising both CRR and IR. Sorry, I don't see that happening anytime soon because global risks and uncertainty is what is holding them back. To sustain the economy will need to stimulate it from within like every other sane economy, if not I inflation hitting 20 percent by December.

1 Like

Re: Monetary Policy Committee Raises MPR To 14% by JAkpayen(m): 5:44pm On Jul 28, 2016
^^^
The MPC decision was not to attract investors but to stabilise price. See why they did so:

The Committee’s Decisions

The MPC, recognizing that the Bank lacked the instruments required to directly jumpstart growth, and being mindful not to calibrate its instruments in such a manner as to undermine its primary mandate and financial system stability, in assessment of the relevant issues, was of the view that the balance of risks remains tilted against price stability.

Consequently, five (5) members voted to raise the Monetary Policy Rate while three (3) voted to hold.

In summary, the MPC voted to:

(i) Increase the MPR by 200 basis points from 12.00 to 14 per cent;
(ii) Retain the CRR at 22.50 per cent;
(iii) Retain the Liquidity Ratio at 30.00 per cent; and
(iv) Retain the Asymmetric Window at +200 and -500 basis points around the MPR

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

CBN Postpones MPC Meeting Indefinitely / Complaint About Akin Alabi / What Are The Things I Need To Start A Clothing Boutique Shop?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.