Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,843 members, 7,810,248 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 02:24 AM

Prado 2012 Power Problem. Urgent Help - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Prado 2012 Power Problem. Urgent Help (2638 Views)

New Prado Jeep Burnt In Abuja This Morning (Photos) / What I Saw In This Toyota Prado Fuel Tank (Photos) / Conversion RHD To LHD 2012 Range Rover Autobiography Sport (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Prado 2012 Power Problem. Urgent Help by frannyema(f): 8:41pm On Jul 27, 2016
My friend bought the land cruiser prado, 2012 sometime last year. She went out of town, about 300 km away, and the car lost the power without any warning on the freeway. The lights appeared on dashboard (likes Christmas tree) and sign for service. The car has been practically dead since then. It's 48 hours now. The mechanics has tried everything to power it but nothing works. Please house any possible suggestion on what to do. The mechanics had ran scan yet nothing was discovered, please gurus in the house,I need your help.
Re: Prado 2012 Power Problem. Urgent Help by Lexusgs430: 8:57pm On Jul 27, 2016
frannyema:
My friend bought the land cruiser prado, 2012 sometime last year. She went out of town, about 300 km away, and the car lost the power without any warning on the freeway. The lights appeared on dashboard (likes Christmas tree) and sign for service. The car has been practically dead since then. It's 48 hours now. The mechanics has tried everything to power it but nothing works. Please house any possible suggestion on what to do. The mechanics had ran scan yet nothing was discovered, please gurus in the house,I need your help.

Speak to Oga Gassus, sorry meant Gayzuz. What wrong with me sef. It's GAZZUZZ!!!
NB : It needs the attention of a capable workshop and capable hands
Re: Prado 2012 Power Problem. Urgent Help by GAZZUZZ(m): 8:58pm On Jul 27, 2016
frannyema:

Tow it back into town, take to a proper workshop and hope the "mechanics" on the road have not caused more harm than good.

1 Like

Re: Prado 2012 Power Problem. Urgent Help by kingreign(m): 10:44pm On Jul 27, 2016
frannyema:

Is she close to Lagos, Abuja or where?
Re: Prado 2012 Power Problem. Urgent Help by Lexusgs430: 11:06pm On Jul 27, 2016
kingreign:

A real damsel in distress. I am sure we have knights in shinning armour to your rescue !!!!
Re: Prado 2012 Power Problem. Urgent Help by frannyema(f): 11:31pm On Jul 27, 2016
She is in kaduna. She successfully towed it to a mechanic workshop in Kaduna.
kingreign:

Re: Prado 2012 Power Problem. Urgent Help by frannyema(f): 11:36pm On Jul 27, 2016
She towed it to a mechanic workshop and since then nothing has been detected. They have scanned it as well and nothing is found. Roadside mechanics didn't touch the car. I wish she can get Toyota company in Kaduna.
GAZZUZZ:

Tow it back into town, take to a proper workshop and hope the "mechanics" on the road have not caused more harm than good.
Re: Prado 2012 Power Problem. Urgent Help by kingreign(m): 11:45pm On Jul 27, 2016
frannyema:
She towed it to a mechanic workshop and since then nothing has been detected. They have scanned it as well and nothing is found. Roadside mechanics didn't touch the car. I wish she can get Toyota company in Kaduna.

Was the truck worked upon before it embarked on the journey?
If yes, what work was done?
If no, was the battery removed, yes or no?
Is it a brand new truck she bought or a tokunbo, if it was a tokunbo, hope it wasn't a lemon?
Re: Prado 2012 Power Problem. Urgent Help by sultaan(m): 1:07am On Jul 28, 2016
Your friend might have just found out why the previous owner got rid of it.

Your description of problem is vague.
Does your friend has a
No crank no start ( check battery& starter)
Crank no start (ignition, fuel pump compression test and how much oil is inside engine)

Ask here which one of the lights was on before the trip
Re: Prado 2012 Power Problem. Urgent Help by frannyema(f): 6:57am On Jul 28, 2016
The car drove from Lagos to Abuja two days before she embarked on her journey to Kaduna. We cannot ascertain which work has been done by the mechanic but I feel they removed the battery. She bought it brand new last year. Please what is lemon? I appreciate ur assistance.
kingreign:

Was the truck worked upon before it embarked on the journey?
If yes, what work was done?
If no, was the battery removed, yes or no?
Is it a brand new truck she bought or a tokunbo, if it was a tokunbo, hope it wasn't a lemon?
Re: Prado 2012 Power Problem. Urgent Help by frannyema(f): 7:00am On Jul 28, 2016
Please manage my vague description am sorry bout that. I dunno much about cars. She bought the car brand new. Will forward ur answer to her. I appreciate ur response.
sultaan:
Your friend might have just found out why the previous owner got rid of it.

Your description of problem is vague.
Does your friend has a
No crank no start ( check battery& starter)
Crank no start (ignition, fuel pump compression test and how much oil is inside engine)

Ask here which one of the lights was on before the trip
Re: Prado 2012 Power Problem. Urgent Help by kingreign(m): 7:04am On Jul 28, 2016
frannyema:
The car drove from Lagos to Abuja two days before she embarked on her journey to Kaduna. We cannot ascertain which work has been done by the mechanic but I feel they removed the battery. She bought it brand new last year. Please what is lemon? I appreciate ur assistance.

Since you assertrd they bought it brand new, no problem. Lemon car are cars with serious defects electrical, mechanical and otherwise. I was thinking it was a lemon or a flood/fire salvaged vehicle.

Did she install any tracking system or aftermarket security in the truck?

Trackers could be activated in such a way they disable a vehicle when they pass a speed or go out of a geo-fence.

Removal of battery is frowned upon. Most modern cars have a bevy of electronic components programed in them and removal of battery will reset them. Things like auto window activation, satnav, moonroof, driver memory system, even the ECU and throttle body of a vehicle. And every codes which was suppose to be retrieved in a faulty car may have been wiped out without retrieval.

I wish she was the one i was speaking to so as to ask her some questions on the reaction of the vehicle prior to and also within the gremlin attack.
Re: Prado 2012 Power Problem. Urgent Help by frannyema(f): 7:29am On Jul 28, 2016
She is not a nairalander. But I will refer her to the link. The battery was not removed before the power problem started.
kingreign:

Since you assertrd they bought it brand new, no problem. Lemon car are cars with serious defects electrical, mechanical and otherwise. I was thinking it was a lemon or a flood/fire salvaged vehicle.

Trackers could be activated in such a way they disable a vehicle when they pass a speed or go out of a geo-fence.

Removal of battery is frowned upon. Most modern cars have a bevy of electronic components programed in them and removal of battery will reset them. Things like auto window activation, satnav, moonroof, driver memory system, even the ECU and throttle body of a vehicle. And every codes which was suppose to be retrieved in a faulty car may have been wiped out without retrieval.

I wish she was the one i was speaking to so as to ask her some questions on the reaction of the vehicle prior to and also within the gremlin attack.
Re: Prado 2012 Power Problem. Urgent Help by kingreign(m): 8:08am On Jul 28, 2016
frannyema:
She is not a nairalander. But I will refer her to the link. The battery was not removed before the power problem started.
When the problem started, was it disconnected?
Re: Prado 2012 Power Problem. Urgent Help by frannyema(f): 10:09am On Jul 28, 2016
The car has tracker.
kingreign:

Re: Prado 2012 Power Problem. Urgent Help by kingreign(m): 11:41am On Jul 28, 2016
frannyema:
The car has tracker.
Tell her not to allow anyone start removing parts in that csr. She should send the command to disable tracking system, them get back to me.
Re: Prado 2012 Power Problem. Urgent Help by frannyema(f): 1:27pm On Jul 28, 2016
She called to disable the tracker, the coy said the problem is not tracker because when u start the car, the light shows. The mechanic however have detected that it is the brain box and we have to change it. I just hope this works. What do u think.
kingreign:

Tell her not to allow anyone start removing parts in that csr. She should send the command to disable tracking system, them get back to me.
Re: Prado 2012 Power Problem. Urgent Help by kingreign(m): 2:38pm On Jul 28, 2016
frannyema:
She called to disable the tracker, the coy said the problem is not tracker because when u start the car, the light shows. The mechanic however have detected that it is the brain box and we have to change it. I just hope this works. What do u think.
I dont know what to think because i havent seen the vehicle and inspected/diagnosed it. I however feel the tacking device if wrongly manipulated can result in such, besides, ECU cant just get bad for no reason. There must be an underlying issue somewhere for an ECU to get bad.
Re: Prado 2012 Power Problem. Urgent Help by Nobody: 2:42pm On Jul 28, 2016
frannyema:
hope the mechanic is a very competent one, cox a Brainbox swap which is improperly done, is like a surgery on a wrong place that resulted to more complications

2 Likes

Re: Prado 2012 Power Problem. Urgent Help by Nobody: 2:54pm On Jul 28, 2016
Check all fuses especially brainbox(ECU) fuse.
Re: Prado 2012 Power Problem. Urgent Help by sultaan(m): 5:21pm On Jul 28, 2016
All the advise about brain box is the very wrong way of fixing, never touch the ECU.

Start with fuel pump, she might have ran out of fuel because fuel guage is not working.

Basic diagnosis fuel, spark, air check for those first which is why you start with
no crank no start or crank no start always start with simple things you might overlook
Re: Prado 2012 Power Problem. Urgent Help by airlord2020: 7:38pm On Jul 28, 2016
Brainbox of a 2012 prado dying just like that. undecided
Re: Prado 2012 Power Problem. Urgent Help by GAZZUZZ(m): 8:49pm On Jul 28, 2016
becoming very clumsy. From a little experience I have seen tracking device relays fail.

You are presently throwing parts at a problem(it works sometimes, but it is an expensive way of fixing a problem) Nothing will kill the engine ecu of a Prado 2012 unless there was a short circuit, water incursion, or high voltage. Let's assume the mechanic is right that it is the engine ecu, what guarantees do you have that the next one will not be fried on your way back to abuja? [s]it's also possible he has found the fault and wants to chop ya moni wink[/s]
Re: Prado 2012 Power Problem. Urgent Help by kingreign(m): 8:52pm On Jul 28, 2016
GAZZUZZ:
becoming very clumsy. From a little experience I have seen tracking device relays fail.

You are presently throwing parts at a problem(it works sometimes, but it is an expensive way of fixing a problem) Nothing will kill the engine ecu of a Prado 2012 unless there was a short circuit, water incursion, or high voltage. Let's assume the mechanic is right that it is the engine ecu, what guarantees do you have that the next one will not be fried on your way back to abuja? [s]it's also possible he has found the fault and wants to chop ya moni wink[/s]

Gbam! Na the subtle message I been wan pass sha wink
Re: Prado 2012 Power Problem. Urgent Help by disloman(m): 8:12am On Jul 29, 2016
frannyema:
Don't believe what they tell you.They. Will keep giving you excuses.This is why tracker is not advisable to be installed.The car has its own security.Just tell them to remove the tracker.Nothing will be done.

1 Like

Re: Prado 2012 Power Problem. Urgent Help by disloman(m): 8:13am On Jul 29, 2016
kingreign:

I dont know what to think because i havent seen the vehicle and inspected/diagnosed it. I however feel the tacking device if wrongly manipulated can result in such, besides, ECU cant just get bad for no reason. There must be an underlying issue somewhere for an ECU to get bad.
GBAM
Re: Prado 2012 Power Problem. Urgent Help by disloman(m): 8:14am On Jul 29, 2016
sultaan:
All the advise about brain box is the very wrong way of fixing, never touch the ECU.

Start with fuel pump, she might have ran out of fuel because fuel guage is not working.

Basic diagnosis fuel, spark, air check for those first which is why you start with
no crank no start or crank no start always start with simple things you might overlook
Do you read and comprehend what the op wrote?Pls do read. It again.
Re: Prado 2012 Power Problem. Urgent Help by GAZZUZZ(m): 8:29am On Jul 29, 2016
disloman:
Don't believe what they tell you.They. Will keep giving you excuses.This is why tracker is not advisable to be installed.The car has its own security .Just tell them to remove the tracker.Nothing will be done.

You have come. Please explain how you will find it, if it is snatched at knife point?

I believe in installing a tracker personally and monitoring it via family and friends.
Re: Prado 2012 Power Problem. Urgent Help by Lexusgs430: 9:04am On Jul 29, 2016
GAZZUZZ:

You have come. Please explain how you will find it, if it is snatched at knife point?

I believe in installing a tracker personally and monitoring it via family and friends.

The benefits of a tracking device, outweighs the negatives.
If the tracking device is installed by a trained professional, the vehicle recovery(if stolen) is almost a guarantee!!!
Re: Prado 2012 Power Problem. Urgent Help by Lexusgs430: 9:05am On Jul 29, 2016
disloman:
Don't believe what they tell you.They. Will keep giving you excuses.This is why tracker is not advisable to be installed.The car has its own security.Just tell them to remove the tracker.Nothing will be done.

Advising against installation of a tracking device, is simply what a Kazeem would say!!!
Re: Prado 2012 Power Problem. Urgent Help by disloman(m): 9:20am On Jul 29, 2016
GAZZUZZ:

What you believe is different from what is ideal.If. You needed a car with a tracker,you can order it from the manufacturer.As a colleague in this trade,you should understand the point I'm making.While installing the tracker,they gat to bridge/open a harness which can leads to the issue that the. op is complaining of.Thank God you said what you believe.
Re: Prado 2012 Power Problem. Urgent Help by disloman(m): 9:44am On Jul 29, 2016
Lexusgs430:

Advising against installation of a tracking device, is simply what a Kazeem would say!!!
I don't word with a novice.This is a warning from Honda japan which I also know that Toyota might also have warned their customers.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Innoson Releases The Innoson 4x4 Carrier 2017 Model (photos) / Is It Cursed People That Drives Manual Vehicles? / Advice Is Needed Please

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.