Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,224 members, 7,822,137 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 07:13 AM

How We Build Duplexes In Nigeria - Properties (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / How We Build Duplexes In Nigeria (47996 Views)

5 Duplexes In Gowon Estate On Fire In Lagos (Photo) / MODERN SEMI-DETACHED DUPLEXES In OSAPA (pictures) / Building Detached Duplexes In Lekki (new Dimension To Nigerian Architecture) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How We Build Duplexes In Nigeria by emmaliver(m): 8:26am On Aug 02, 2016
I want to learn.

1 Like

Re: How We Build Duplexes In Nigeria by aftatechbiz(m): 8:34am On Aug 02, 2016
Good job bros. Check out another completed 5 bedroom Duplex in Ibadan in this thread https://www.nairaland.com/3075906/construction-5-bedroom-duplex-ibadan

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How We Build Duplexes In Nigeria by mekuxiani(m): 8:44am On Aug 02, 2016
You know people won't understand dpm except every body here are engineers or builders
abdulwastecx:
Formwork to the dpc, placement of DPM and casting of dpc
Re: How We Build Duplexes In Nigeria by Mailthaddeus(m): 9:50am On Aug 02, 2016
abdulwastecx:
Foundation footings concreting work:
The foundation foot was casted with the following aggregates :
19.5mm coarse aggregates (ganite/gravel)
River sharp sand and ordinary Portland cement.

Mix ratio was 1:2:4 by weight

bro! I can't see 1:2:4 by weight here, rather am seeing by volume. Where is ur weighing balance u use to confirm it's by weight? U did by volume not weight. jst to correct this mistake. Thank u

2 Likes

Re: How We Build Duplexes In Nigeria by ICAMETOWIN(m): 10:04am On Aug 02, 2016
Nice job there Oga Abdul, I'd like to handle your precast parapets when you get to that stage.peace.
Re: How We Build Duplexes In Nigeria by GoldEnyong(m): 10:07am On Aug 02, 2016
send me your number
Re: How We Build Duplexes In Nigeria by podosci(m): 10:37am On Aug 02, 2016
Mailthaddeus:

bro! I can't see 1:2:4 by weight here, rather am seeing by volume. Where is ur weighing balance u use to confirm it's by weight? U did by volume not weight. jst to correct this mistake. Thank u
Thanks spotting the mistake...

1 Like

Re: How We Build Duplexes In Nigeria by podosci(m): 10:39am On Aug 02, 2016
ICAMETOWIN:
Nice job there Oga Abdul, I'd like to handle your precast parapets when you get to that stage.peace.
The client as three options on his table... Polysterene, Precast and insitu ofwhich hee as not decided yet.
Re: How We Build Duplexes In Nigeria by podosci(m): 10:40am On Aug 02, 2016
GoldEnyong:
send me your number
Re: How We Build Duplexes In Nigeria by IOAGEM: 10:57am On Aug 02, 2016
Excellent and Educative post.
I like the concept of the plinth beam and the way you spelt it out earlier is actually my first encounter.
My question is this WHAT IS THE PROBABILITY THAT A FAULT DEVELOPS IN THE UNDERGROUND PIPES AND HOW EASY CAN IT BE REPAIRED WITH MINIMUM DAMEGE TO THE SURROUNDING CONCRETE ?
Thanks
Re: How We Build Duplexes In Nigeria by podosci(m): 11:02am On Aug 02, 2016
emmaliver:
I want to learn.
You are welcome sir

1 Like

Re: How We Build Duplexes In Nigeria by sonety2k(m): 11:12am On Aug 02, 2016
cool

1 Like

Re: How We Build Duplexes In Nigeria by Mailthaddeus(m): 11:20am On Aug 02, 2016
Another thing again is that u claim to use an isolated and pad footing foundation yet, I can't clearly see ur 1.2x1.2m pad form. All am seeing is basket placed directly on blinding. This is wrong construction. The need to use expert and certified civil and building engineers in any project cannot be over emphasized.
Now, of what use is the plinth beams to this structure at dat level of d dpm? It wuld bear more loaad of that beam ws at d base of d foundation tieing the bases of the pads together. And in this case, shuld be Tie/link beams. And the blocks can now sit on d beam.

We take so many things for granted because Nigeria is blessed wit good and stable soil, else so many collapses will be happening daily.

1 Like

Re: How We Build Duplexes In Nigeria by Juliaann(f): 11:28am On Aug 02, 2016
skup008:
Following.....
dear I need your help
Re: How We Build Duplexes In Nigeria by elvis07: 11:45am On Aug 02, 2016
Been constructive is nt a rocket science, pls lets try to be more constructive in any form of observation we make be u COREN certified or nt. Ka chineke mezie okwu

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How We Build Duplexes In Nigeria by ozimec(m): 11:54am On Aug 02, 2016
abdulwastecx:
More updates

Following Sir
Re: How We Build Duplexes In Nigeria by skup008(m): 11:54am On Aug 02, 2016
Juliaann:
dear I need your help

Shoot pls.
Re: How We Build Duplexes In Nigeria by abdulwastecx(m): 11:56am On Aug 02, 2016
Mailthaddeus:

That is not my mistake.... When batching concrete by weight all you need is the relative density of aggregate, water to cement ratio..... And you are good to go

1 Like

Re: How We Build Duplexes In Nigeria by skup008(m): 12:00pm On Aug 02, 2016
Juliaann:
dear I need your help
oh....shoot pls
Re: How We Build Duplexes In Nigeria by erico2k2(m): 12:06pm On Aug 02, 2016
Lolostical12:
There is noting like casted.Cast is cast
Very silly .see how you just embarass yourself all in the name of ITK .
I hate it when people think they know 2 much
FYI.casted is the past paticiple of Cast go and read your dictionary
Re: How We Build Duplexes In Nigeria by abdulwastecx(m): 12:07pm On Aug 02, 2016
Mailthaddeus:
Another thing again is that u claim to use an isolated and pad footing foundation yet, I can't clearly see ur 1.2x1.2m pad form. All am seeing is basket placed directly on blinding. This is wrong construction. The need to use expert and certified civil and building engineers in any project cannot be over emphasized.
Now, of what use is the plinth beams to this structure at dat level of d dpm? It wuld bear more loaad of that beam ws at d base of d foundation tieing the bases of the pads together. And in this case, shuld be Tie/link beams. And the blocks can now sit on d beam.

We take so many things for granted because Nigeria is blessed wit good and stable soil, else so many collapses will be happening daily.

Your constructive criticism is welcomed .
When you have isolated pad footings of 1.2m x 1.2m, you don't need to place a form inside the foundation to demarcate the casting all you need to do is pecked the casting up to the required depth and in this case 350mm.

How do I know that the footing is 1.2m x 1.2m?
The basket is 110mm allowing for cover of 50mm both side.

What is plinth beam to begin with?
Plinth beam is an horizontal reinforced concrete member that is constructed on GROUND OR ABOVE GROUND LEVEL.

Go Google plinth beam and come back with more positive criticism.

By the way, I am a first class civil engineering graduate from a reputable University of technology. I know both structural analysis and design very well.

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How We Build Duplexes In Nigeria by abdulwastecx(m): 12:08pm On Aug 02, 2016
podosci:

Thanks spotting the mistake...

No mistake my friend
Re: How We Build Duplexes In Nigeria by podosci(m): 12:10pm On Aug 02, 2016
[quote author=Mailthaddeus post=48113183]Another thing again is that u claim to use an isolated and pad footing foundation yet, I can't clearly see ur 1.2x1.2m pad form. All am seeing is basket placed directly on blinding. This is wrong construction.
please, Take a breathe and check the threand from the begining and this time read it slowwwwwly, You would clearly notice the locations where the clounm pad base are is bigger in size than the strip footings. The first excavation is the strip footing measuring 675mm( 3xblockwidth as prescribed by relevants building codes which state a minimum width of 3W as a specification to counter the effect of the load which acts at 45° to the stip base, the stip base csn be wider depending on the load from the building but for a duplex with pad footings 3W was achieved in our calculations), Next excavation is the pad base, which is 1.2m x 1.2m where the labourers excavate only the regions with a pad base wider from the initial 675mm to the 1.2m width and deeper to achieve the depth of the pad base, this 1.2m x 1.2m width is achieved from the structural design and follows desame prosedures as the stip footing with much more mathematics and reinforcement specifications due to weakness of concrete in tension.
I know your confusion comes from the fact that after the casting, a uniform level of pad base and stip footing was achieved hopr by above explanation rectifies your confusion.
After we are done with excavation, we blind the pad bas alone to a thickness of 75-50mm, thats the blind thickness recommend for Reinfroced concrete members in direct contact with soil. The blind of the pad base serves as a cover for reinforcement agaisnt moisture rise and chemical attack from chemical agents that may exist in the soil, which are detrimental to the structural intergrity of the reinforcement.
Finnaly we place our pad base reinforcement on the 75mm pad blinding, the reinforcement have been bent to specifications of the structural drawings. We place our colunm reinfrocement and centralize them to avoid unintended moments generated from uncentralised colunms.
Our foundation is ready for casting. At this stage we cast both the pad base and strip footing to the same level
[quote author=Mailthaddeus post=48113183] need to use expert and certified civil and building engineers in any project cannot be over emphasized.
Myself and Abdulwastecx both have a B. EnG in civil engineering from the presitigious federal university of technology, minna. I and Abdulwastecx both graduated top10 our ingraduating class.
[quote author=Mailthaddeus post=48113183] ,Now of what use is the plinth beams to this structure at dat level of d dpm? It wuld bear more loaad of that beam ws at d base of d foundation tieing the bases of the pads together. And in this case, shuld be Tie/link beams. And the blocks can now sit on d beam.

You mistake a Plinth beam from a Grade beam. The beam we used is a plinth beam, The one you are refering to his a grade beam of which both serve different puposes. Of which for this project and based on the structural members already used, A Plinth beam was most appropriate.
Thank you.
References.
BS 8110 part 1,2 and 3
Construction of building by Barry Vol 1,2,3,4,5
Reinforced concrete by T J MacGinley
Standard Method of detailing structural concrete by the the Institute of structural engineers.
You can consult the above named books to expantiate on what i have siad if you have any confussions or questions.

3 Likes

Re: How We Build Duplexes In Nigeria by abdulwastecx(m): 12:14pm On Aug 02, 2016
Oguieke:
your works here are generally poor starting from foundation excavation, blinding, bar placement, the oversight concrete, to the d.p.c block work,also your mix ratio is something else even when you claim its 1:2:4,the work here are generally poor.next time try to consult an experienced and COREN certified structural Engr to guide you properly to avoid hard I known. thanks.

You ware welcome, COREN certified engineer.
I don't need to argue with you on all your assumptions. When topic hit front page, we here lot of this type of comment. Let me break it down for you.

1. I supervised the project while the client provide all the logistics, materials and personnel.

2. The work men were sourced locally by the client

3. Detailed attention was paid to the structural and architectural designs done by a different consultant.

4. All cement, sand, reinforcement, wood etc were purchased directly by the client.

Come back again with more detailed information and appropriate way to criticize a job you have little to no idea about

10 Likes 4 Shares

Re: How We Build Duplexes In Nigeria by Juliaann(f): 12:17pm On Aug 02, 2016
skup008:

Shoot pls.
Not here pls will send you a mail
Re: How We Build Duplexes In Nigeria by erico2k2(m): 12:22pm On Aug 02, 2016
Empero1:
Many at times we waste so much materials on building in Nigeria, yet without realising structures that can stand the test of time - citing the number of caved building stories that abounds.

In the cause of my globetrotting, I have realized that in many countries they do not waste money on german floors for residential duplexes and even in some industrial buildings as we do in this country, yet you will never see or hear about buildings collapsed stories like we have in this country.

We sure have shortage of qualified indigenous professionals and quality raw materials.
I disagree with you in most sense . I use to be in that same school of thought until I started my own build in 9ja.
Specification of site determines what method one need to apply . Do research on the first storey building in Nigeria .
My Grandparents house was built by UAC back in the 40s . It had German flooring . Residential duplexes with concrete flooring needs no maintainability whilst wooden ones do cos timber might rotten .
Where I live we have wooden flooring but I wish it was concrete .

4 Likes

Re: How We Build Duplexes In Nigeria by abdulwastecx(m): 12:36pm On Aug 02, 2016
Empero1:
Many at times we waste so much materials on building in Nigeria, yet without realising structures that can stand the test of time - citing the number of caved building stories that abounds.

In the cause of my globetrotting, I have realized that in many countries they do not waste money on german floors for residential duplexes and even in some industrial buildings as we do in this country, yet you will never see or hear about buildings collapsed stories like we have in this country.

We sure have shortage of qualified indigenous professionals and quality raw materials.

I we say we sure have shortage of MONEY in this part of the world. In the developed world they have concrete batching plant that supply ready mixed concrete at point of concreting.

In United Kingdom, a good three bedroom flat bungalow goes for over £100,000 (almost 45 million) Niger naira. How many of you guys can pay such for a three bedroom flat in Nigeria?

You actually need a DPC or German floor for any kind of house and the cost is not that high when you compare it to the total project cost.

We build cave in Nigeria because we are still a developing nation, we are learning and our built environment is comparable to that of India, Pakistan, egypt and Brazil. These are all developing nation like us. We still have a long way to go and that is why supposed exposed people like you can come in and help us developed

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: How We Build Duplexes In Nigeria by abdulwastecx(m): 12:42pm On Aug 02, 2016
Empero1:

Re: How We Build Duplexes In Nigeria by Mailthaddeus(m): 1:13pm On Aug 02, 2016
abdulwastecx:

That is not my mistake.... When batching concrete by weight all you need is the relative density of aggregate, water to cement ratio..... And you are good to go

Bro! sorry to distract u from ur nice work, buh I still insist u get this one wrong. The relative densities of these materials are already constant. Batching by weight involves weighing these constituents of concrete in that ratio, that is, 50kg of cement, plus 100kg of sand(0.1tons), with 200kg(0.2tons) of aggregate.

While by volume is using a head pan of cement to 2head pans of sand and 4of granite/gravel. And only few people batch by weight except big batching plants.

Also, isolated bases, remain isolated bases, standard works requires form works and prepared specially.

Thumbs up for ur first-class, e no easy!

2 Likes

Re: How We Build Duplexes In Nigeria by abdulwastecx(m): 1:26pm On Aug 02, 2016
Mailthaddeus:

Bro! sorry to distract u from ur nice work, buh I still insist u get this one wrong. The relative densities of these materials are already constant. Batching by weight involves weighing these constituents of concrete in that ratio, that is, 50kg of cement, plus 100kg of sand(0.1tons), with 200kg(0.2tons) of aggregate.

While by volume is using a head pan of cement to 2head pans of sand and 4of granite/gravel. And only few people batch by weight except big batching plants.

Also, isolated bases, remain isolated bases, standard works requires form works and prepared specially.

Thank you my brother for the positive criticism.

I know whar you talking about sir.
For example, if I want batch 1cubic meters of concrete using 1:2:4 by standard I know I will use 6 1/2 bags of cement and more (may be due to shrinkage and wastage).

I will ask make sure that water to cement ratio is kept @ not more than 0.65.

After I get my quantities of cement for one cubic meters, I will multiply that by 2, and then convert the result into tonnage. With this expression = N x 2 x 50/1000

Since I don't have weighing balance on site, all I need to know is the relative density of the particular sand I am using. Assuming I am using a sand of relative density of 1.7

From the relationship between, relative density = weight /volume, I can get the volume of sand required.

I then measured my container or bucket, diameter and height to calculate the volume of bucket to know the volume of sand that the bucket can lift at a point.

Estimating gravel required also follow similar approach.

After all these operation I can now established a means based on volume and my 1: 2 : 4 by weight with water cement ratio 0.65 may be 1: 1.5:3 by volume.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: How We Build Duplexes In Nigeria by podosci(m): 1:41pm On Aug 02, 2016
Mailthaddeus:

A formwork is a medium used to hold the concrete in place till the concrete as developed enough strenght to hold the its own weight and the weight of the imposed load.
The firmly excavated trench serves as a formwork, there are only two situations that would require a wooden or metal formwork inside an excavated trench.
1- The soil is too loose to hold its self to keep its excavted form, resulting in collapse of the trench sides
2- Extra working space required in the excavated trench, meaning the trench is excavated wider than the required width of the structural member , this occures in the case where a strip footing is not used and only the pad base is excavated down to the required depth
The British standard codes and several literatures like the ones a refered you to ealier explain all this in details. I think you should take time to read them for better understanding of standard building practices.
Thank you.

5 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Landlord, Pastor Daniel Obasi Killed As 2-Storey Building Collapses (Graphic) / My Landlord Sneaks Into My Apartment / Architecture: Construction Of Duplex In Lekki & Akwa-Ibom State.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.