Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,738 members, 7,817,034 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:05 AM

How We Build Duplexes In Nigeria - Properties (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / How We Build Duplexes In Nigeria (47921 Views)

5 Duplexes In Gowon Estate On Fire In Lagos (Photo) / MODERN SEMI-DETACHED DUPLEXES In OSAPA (pictures) / Building Detached Duplexes In Lekki (new Dimension To Nigerian Architecture) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How We Build Duplexes In Nigeria by podosci(m): 2:57pm On Aug 02, 2016
Oguieke:
your works here are generally poor starting from foundation excavation, blinding, bar placement, the oversight concrete, to the d.p.c block work,also your mix ratio is something else even when you claim its 1:2:4,the work here are generally poor.next time try to consult an experienced and COREN certified structural Engr to guide you properly to avoid hard I known. thanks.
I am highly disappointed in your comment, partly because you claim to be a professional and such comments are unethical in a public forum and mostly because you speak out of ignorance in your drive to attract publicity for your own selfish reasons.
I am a civil engineer who majored in sturcutral Engineering with vast experience in strucutral design and building construction, all my works are backed up by relevant building standards and i can confidently stand up to defend them with extracts from building codes and literatures by known authors.
I wanted to reply you on the points raised but checked your profile and dicovered you are fond of going about discrediting works of other professionals in a bid to attract publicity to yourself.
I would imploy others reading this thrend to ignore your posts as they are irrelevant to the topic.
Thank you.

14 Likes 3 Shares

Re: How We Build Duplexes In Nigeria by Olajide2504(m): 3:15pm On Aug 02, 2016
you thinking of flooring your compound, I recommend Stamped Concrete floor. Yes we are used to paving stones but did you know that Stamped Concrete Floors offers the following :
1. Unlimited design possibilities in Patterns and Colors.
2. Far better Aesthetics
3. Excellent Longevity and Performance.
4. Ability to Customize. You can stamp your Company logo, favorite pets and flower, on the floor.
5. Interestingly you can upgrade an existing ordinary concrete floor or one with Paving stones to a Stamped Concrete floor.
www.Facebook.com/spebscontractors
Call us : 08066387838, 08051829083

Re: How We Build Duplexes In Nigeria by engrfemi(m): 3:50pm On Aug 02, 2016
podosci:

I am highly disappointed in your comment, partly because you claim to be a professional and such comments are unethical in a public forum and mostly because you speak out of ignorance in your drive to attract publicity for your own selfish reasons.
I am a civil engineer who majored in sturcutral Engineering with vast experience in strucutral design and building construction, all my works are backed up by relevant building standards and i can confidently stand up to defend them with extracts from building codes and literatures by known authors.
I wanted to reply you on the points raised but checked your profile and dicovered you are fond of going about discrediting works of other professionals in a bid to attract publicity to yourself.
I would imploy others reading this thrend to ignore your posts as they are irrelevant to the topic.
Thank you.
Thanks boss, I was just about rebuking him too. I doubt he is an Engineer though.
Re: How We Build Duplexes In Nigeria by back2sender: 5:29pm On Aug 02, 2016
abdulwastecx:

I am on the same page with you on how to reduce weight of suspended slab but the misconception here is that the majority weight of slab is that of the conconcrete. In most cases, reinforcement bar contribute less than 10% to the weight of any structural members be it slab, column, beams or footing.

Another major contributor of load to suspended floor is partition walls. 225mm partition walls contribute as much as 3.6kN/m 2 when built on slab without bottom beam.

Best way to reduce load on suspended floor is reduce quantity of concrete and portion loads by using thinner section for upper wall, light weight materials for upper walls etc
AbdulWastecx can this be consider as part of the ways one can reduce the dead weight on a suspended slab... Using 6 inches block rather than 9 inches block on a suspended slab for a duplex? Reducing the number of pillars on the suspended slab to the roofing stage ? Using 12mm in place of 16mm for the pillars on the suspended slab to the roofing stage?. Thanks in advance
Re: How We Build Duplexes In Nigeria by Mailthaddeus(m): 5:53pm On Aug 02, 2016
[quote author=abdulwastecx post=48117184][/quote]

@Abdul, I must commend u. U know what u are doing, jst dat our views on certain things are different buh all follow same fundamental principle. I'm a graduate of civil engineering too, I graduated best in my department as well, though not wit first-class, all thanks to some wicked lecturers out there. I left wit 4.44/5.

And I ve been practicing for the last 5yrs on office and residential buildings, warehouses and factories.

My area of interest is on structural concrete. I ve done several researches on this area and I have an article I intend to publish soon.

Now, after u design ur mix based on the grade of concrete u want. 1:2:4 when wrongly prepared can still produce a concrete of poor grade of 15 or even lower. And a 1:3:5 mix when rightly prepared can still produce a concrete of higher grade say 20/25. At the end, it bothers down to ur w/c ratio, method of production, method of placing, time of placing and vibration method used.

I wish I culd type more, buh typing on fone is quite challenging for me. Buh I like ur handwork sha. Well-done bro. If u hv many structural design works, pls pass some on to me, I'll do at a give away price. Thnx. send me a PM

4 Likes

Re: How We Build Duplexes In Nigeria by podosci(m): 5:54pm On Aug 02, 2016
back2sender:

AbdulWastecx can this be consider as part of the ways one can reduce the dead weight on a suspended slab... Using 6 inches block rather than 9 inches block on a suspended slab for a duplex? Reducing the number of pillars on the suspended slab to the roofing stage ? Using 12mm in place of 16mm for the pillars on the suspended slab to the roofing stage?. Thanks in advance
The blockwork is not loaded on the slab, Its loaded on the beam. Its only in cases where there is no underlying beam or load bearing walls that the load is directly on the slab(Thats another discussion entirely)
One of the pillers of Structural Engineering is Economy, Thats whats guides during our structural dedign in placement of pillers and selection of sizes of structural members.
The best Economic way of reducing load and cost is to carry out a proper structural design by a competent Structural Engineer.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: How We Build Duplexes In Nigeria by gbadexy(m): 7:55pm On Aug 02, 2016
johnson232:

thanks
cc: Gbadesy any recommendations about water proof cement for sceptic tank sir...
Sorry for the late response. Was a bit busy and didn't get the mention also because it wasn't spelt correctly.
I can't help you with cement brand that is waterproof. However, I could explain a bit on how to achieve a waterproof concrete.
You could add waterproofing additive into the plaster or use dispersant that helps you to get a denser and less porous concrete.
You may add 0.5kg of ground alum to a 50 kg bag of cement and add a big bar of soap dissolved in a 20 litres bucket of water to be used in the concrete mix.
So you use a bar of soap per each 20 litres water. You would have to soak it in water overnight to dissolve or add water to soap in a big drum at same rate.
The idea is to form aluminum stearate or palmitate with the concrete. They are as hydrophobic as wax and doesn't dissolve in water. So we depend 8 reaction to produce them in the concrete mix.
You could use a water glass solution in 2% ratio to the concrete mix to reduce the water used in the concrete mix to give a dense and impervious concrete.
That's the much I could help you with.
I'm in production and can only help with local sourcing and production.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: How We Build Duplexes In Nigeria by johnson232: 7:58pm On Aug 02, 2016
gbadexy:

Sorry for the late response. Was a bit busy and didn't get the mention also because it wasn't spelt correctly.
I can't help you with cement brand that is waterproof. However, I could explain a bit on how to achieve a waterproof concrete.
You could add waterproofing additive into the plaster or use dispersant that helps you to get a denser and less porous concrete.
You may add 0.5kg of ground alum to a 50 kg bag of cement and add a big bar of soap dissolved in a 20 litres bucket of water to be used in the concrete mix.
So you use a bar of soap per each 20 litres water. You would have to soak it in water overnight to dissolve or add water to soap in a big drum at same rate.
The idea is to form aluminum stearate or palmitate with the concrete. They are as hydrophobic as wax and doesn't dissolve in water. So we depend 8 reaction to produce them in the concrete mix.
You could use a water glass solution in 2% ratio to the concrete mix to reduce the water used in the concrete mix to give a dense and impervious concrete.
That's the much I could help you with.
I'm in production and can only help with local sourcing and production.
thanks alot, i really appreciate this.

1 Like

Re: How We Build Duplexes In Nigeria by Horlawoomey(m): 8:07pm On Aug 02, 2016
abdulwastecx:

Your constructive criticism is welcomed .
When you have isolated pad footings of 1.2m x 1.2m, you don't need to place a form inside the foundation to demarcate the casting all you need to do is pecked the casting up to the required depth and in this case 350mm.

How do I know that the footing is 1.2m x 1.2m?
The basket is 110mm allowing for cover of 50mm both side.

What is plinth beam to begin with?
Plinth beam is an horizontal reinforced concrete member that is constructed on GROUND OR ABOVE GROUND LEVEL.

Go Google plinth beam and come back with more positive criticism.

By the way, I am a first class civil engineering graduate from a reputable University of technology. I know both structural analysis and design very well.

Engineer you are very right, when a topic hit front page it attracts a lot of views and needless criticism without facts. I have worked with a supposed COREN certified Engineer who is also a nairalander and regret ever doing so. He changes structural specification at will just to cut cost.

What they don't know is that, being a certified Engineer does not make you do a good job if you don't will to do it, most of the time it is an avenue for them to hide their mistake.

The only place I see them very active is when handling government jobs. Engineering is not magic, anybody that can learn vigorously can handle projects effectively.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How We Build Duplexes In Nigeria by adanny01(m): 10:50pm On Aug 02, 2016
Mailthaddeus:

Bro! sorry to distract u from ur nice work, buh I still insist u get this one wrong. The relative densities of these materials are already constant. Batching by weight involves weighing these constituents of concrete in that ratio, that is, 50kg of cement, plus 100kg of sand(0.1tons), with 200kg(0.2tons) of aggregate.

While by volume is using a head pan of cement to 2head pans of sand and 4of granite/gravel. And only few people batch by weight except big batching plants.

Also, isolated bases, remain isolated bases, standard works requires form works and prepared specially.

Thumbs up for ur first-class, e no easy!

Footings that are below ground level must not always have formworks. The use of earth cuts as form is always acceptable.

I have had extensive experience with pad footings of up to 10x10m at depths of up to 4m below ground level for transmission line towers. Its even more complicated to excavate working area for formwork for such pad footing. The undisturbed earth cut serving as formwork has the added advantage of resisting passive lateral resistance. If working area has to be excavated for form work, back filling has to be properly carried out with laterite and compacted to its Max dry density. The only additional requirement is adding 25mm to standard concrete cover where the concrete shall be placed directly against the soil.

2 Likes

Re: How We Build Duplexes In Nigeria by spatiakrux(m): 7:15am On Aug 03, 2016
abdulwastecx:

Ok boss.
Minimum depth of strip = 900mm below ground level
Depth of isolated pad footings = 900 +225 = 1125mm

Are THESE info based on the recommendations of the structural analysis and design?
Re: How We Build Duplexes In Nigeria by podosci(m): 9:02am On Aug 03, 2016
spatiakrux:

Are THESE info based on the recommendations of the structural analysis and design?
Yes sir

1 Like

Re: How We Build Duplexes In Nigeria by erico2k2(m): 6:22pm On Aug 03, 2016
abdulwastecx:

I we say we sure have shortage of MONEY in this part of the world. In the developed world they have concrete batching plant that supply ready mixed concrete at point of concreting.

In United Kingdom, a good three bedroom flat bungalow goes for over £100,000 (almost 45 million) Niger naira. How many of you guys can pay such for a three bedroom flat in Nigeria?

You actually need a DPC or German floor for any kind of house and the cost is not that high when you compare it to the total project cost.

We build cave in Nigeria because we are still a developing nation, we are learning and our built environment is comparable to that of India, Pakistan, egypt and Brazil. These are all developing nation like us. We still have a long way to go and that is why supposed exposed people like you can come in and help us developed
Boss you won see a studio flat for £100k that's what we call self contain .

1 Like

Re: How We Build Duplexes In Nigeria by spatiakrux(m): 1:50pm On Aug 04, 2016
podosci:

Yes sir

If, the information provided are based on the recommendation of the structural analysis and they are have been scrutinized and found Fidel then I say carry on as long as it is executed on site.

1 Like

Re: How We Build Duplexes In Nigeria by abdulwastecx(m): 2:00pm On Aug 04, 2016
Next stop is anambra state....
Here we will be supervising a small extention and renovation of a four deform family house.

1 Like

Re: How We Build Duplexes In Nigeria by abdulwastecx(m): 2:40pm On Aug 04, 2016
Starting with the three dimensional drawings

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How We Build Duplexes In Nigeria by nursevee99: 2:59pm On Aug 04, 2016
boss you are doing a great job here i have been following your thread now i need your help please can you tell how many trips of sand that can fill a 4bedroom bungalow i have paid for 10trips it could not even filled the sitting room and the guest room please i need your help thank you.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How We Build Duplexes In Nigeria by abdulwastecx(m): 3:20pm On Aug 04, 2016
nursevee99:
boss you are doing a great job here i have been following your thread now i need your help please can you tell how many trips of sand that can fill a 4bedroom bungalow i have paid for 10trips it could not even filled the sitting room and the guest room please i need your help thank you.

I will need to see some pictures of the foundation. Thanks for the complement

1 Like

Re: How We Build Duplexes In Nigeria by nursevee99: 3:29pm On Aug 04, 2016
abdulwastecx:

I will need to see some pictures of the foundation. Thanks for the complement
Re: How We Build Duplexes In Nigeria by nursevee99: 3:32pm On Aug 04, 2016
i don't no how to upload pictures here the choose file is not working on my phone i don't no why
Re: How We Build Duplexes In Nigeria by nursevee99: 4:04pm On Aug 04, 2016
i don't no if you can direct me on how to upload pictures because am new here.
Re: How We Build Duplexes In Nigeria by gbadexy(m): 5:25pm On Aug 04, 2016
nursevee99:
i don't no if you can direct me on how to upload pictures because am new here.
You probably are using a windows phone.
Use another make or use computer to login on nairaland.
If you have the app too, it would work.
Re: How We Build Duplexes In Nigeria by nursevee99: 11:56pm On Aug 04, 2016
thanks @gbadexy i will do that in the morning
Re: How We Build Duplexes In Nigeria by taiwo92(m): 7:17am On Aug 05, 2016
good morning Mr Abdul, please I need to know how to draw this 3d drawing. where do u reside
Re: How We Build Duplexes In Nigeria by nursevee99: 1:47pm On Aug 05, 2016
good afternoon big brother please this is the pictures you ask for.

Re: How We Build Duplexes In Nigeria by nursevee99: 1:59pm On Aug 05, 2016
more of the site work

Re: How We Build Duplexes In Nigeria by abdulwastecx(m): 5:50pm On Aug 05, 2016
I will take a better look at it and get back with useful solutions
Re: How We Build Duplexes In Nigeria by erico2k2(m): 6:48pm On Aug 05, 2016
nursevee99:
more of the site work
It would be a good Idea to clear inside the build of any growth and rubbish that might rotten and form void underneath the German floor.

1 Like

Re: How We Build Duplexes In Nigeria by nursevee99: 9:44pm On Aug 05, 2016
ok sir thank you very much
Re: How We Build Duplexes In Nigeria by Drbarmes(m): 12:03pm On Aug 06, 2016
abdulwastecx:

Your constructive criticism is welcomed .
When you have isolated pad footings of 1.2m x 1.2m, you don't need to place a form inside the foundation to demarcate the casting all you need to do is pecked the casting up to the required depth and in this case 350mm.

How do I know that the footing is 1.2m x 1.2m?
The basket is 110mm allowing for cover of 50mm both side.

What is plinth beam to begin with?
Plinth beam is an horizontal reinforced concrete member that is constructed on GROUND OR ABOVE GROUND LEVEL.

Go Google plinth beam and come back with more positive criticism.

By the way, I am a first class civil engineering graduate from a reputable University of technology. I know both structural analysis and design very well.
Bros as a civil engineer u are supposed to be supervising building construction. Leave that to a builder cos he has a better knowledge of cost management than u. The introduction of plinth beam for a uniform soil like urs is a waste of resources. Plinth beams are mostly used where u have a soil with even bearing capacity to tie the foundation columns and distribute the loads round the foundation.
Re: How We Build Duplexes In Nigeria by Drbarmes(m): 12:07pm On Aug 06, 2016
podosci:

The blockwork is not loaded on the slab, Its loaded on the beam. Its only in cases where there is no underlying beam or load bearing walls that the load is directly on the slab(Thats another discussion entirely)
One of the pillers of Structural Engineering is Economy, Thats whats guides during our structural dedign in placement of pillers and selection of sizes of structural members.
The best Economic way of reducing load and cost is to carry out a proper structural design by a competent Structural Engineer.
Can u imagine! And u call yourself an engineer. How do u compute dead loads on a slab without partitions?. The only load on a beam is that of a slab. Pls go n learn more.
Re: How We Build Duplexes In Nigeria by podosci(m): 12:28pm On Aug 06, 2016
Drbarmes:

Bros as a civil engineer u are supposed to be supervising building construction. Leave that to a builder cos he has a better knowledge of cost management than u. The introduction of plinth beam for a uniform soil like urs is a waste of resources. Plinth beams are mostly used where u have a soil with even bearing capacity to tie the foundation columns and distribute the loads round the foundation.
How do you know the soil will undergo unifrom settlement? No where did we post the bearing capacity or settlement rate of the soil, so i am confused as to how you are able to make deductions from mere looking at the soil from a picture?
Back to your comment.
You are used to the wrong methods of building construction due to a lack of understand of building elements and the structural implications of building elements. You are confussing a splinth beam from a grade beam and interchanging there functions.
I have posted some literatures above, refere to them and get back to me.
Thank you

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Landlord, Pastor Daniel Obasi Killed As 2-Storey Building Collapses (Graphic) / My Landlord Sneaks Into My Apartment / Architecture: Construction Of Duplex In Lekki & Akwa-Ibom State.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.