Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,306 members, 7,811,909 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 11:10 PM

Toxic Waste From The West (uk) Dumped In Africa - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Toxic Waste From The West (uk) Dumped In Africa (931 Views)

Nigerians In Benin Republic Raided And Dumped In A Camp (photos) / 20 Corpses found Dumped in Borno / Kidnappers Executed And Dumped In Ezu River (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Toxic Waste From The West (uk) Dumped In Africa by redsky1: 1:14pm On Sep 18, 2009
I came across this yesterday and have looked further into this story. What has shocked me and made me even start a topic was reading the e-mail evidence produced by the guardian (UK) paper and discovering that the company planned to dispose this waste in Nigeria (they subsequently dumped it in Ivory Coast). So African life is worth nothing to the west, hmmmmmmm. I am shocked and disgusted but not actually surprised.

http://image.guardian.co.uk/sys-files/Guardian/documents/2009/09/16/Final_emails.pdf

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009/sep/16/trafigura-email-files-read

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/trafigura-probo-koala

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/africa/article6839258.ece
Re: Toxic Waste From The West (uk) Dumped In Africa by Kobojunkie: 1:35pm On Sep 18, 2009
And you are here blaming the west for African governments CHOOSING TO SIGN DEALS to make Africa a dumping Ground? Does honesty mean anything to you? If your own GOVERNMENTS do not care much for your life; your life means NOTHING to them, why blame the west?
Re: Toxic Waste From The West (uk) Dumped In Africa by rookie(m): 1:45pm On Sep 18, 2009
Kobojunkie:

African governments CHOOSING TO SIGN DEALS to make Africa a dumping Ground?

And if i may ask, how did you arrive at the above premise?
Re: Toxic Waste From The West (uk) Dumped In Africa by redsky1: 1:50pm On Sep 18, 2009
what exactly is your point?

that african governments are to blame for dumping toxic waste from abroad on their soil? or its not at all possible that these companies lie to governments as to what is actually on the ships, no that can't possibly the case.

just like these so called companies here in the uk claiming to recycle old computers but actually selling it in the developing world - yes life is that simple. if these compaines cared they would dump the waste in their own back yard.
Re: Toxic Waste From The West (uk) Dumped In Africa by Kobojunkie: 1:53pm On Sep 18, 2009
rookie:

And if i may ask, how did you arrive at the above premise?

What sort of question is that? Where they FORCED to sign, at gun point or something, deals to have refuse dumped in Africa? If you want to believe that, that is fine with me.
Re: Toxic Waste From The West (uk) Dumped In Africa by strangleyo: 1:54pm On Sep 18, 2009
We'll just keep immigrating there won't we.
Re: Toxic Waste From The West (uk) Dumped In Africa by Kobojunkie: 2:00pm On Sep 18, 2009
redsky1:

what exactly is your point?

that african governments are to blame for dumping toxic waste from abroad on their soil? or its not at all possible that these companies lie to governments as to what is actually on the ships, no that can't possibly the case.

just like these so called companies here in the uk claiming to recycle old computers but actually selling it in the developing world - yes life is that simple. if these compaines cared they would dump the waste in their own back yard.

I think the point is clear UNLESS You are unwilling to honestly review the articles and reality of things. Do you realize that “THE WEST” and even “ ASIA” cannot come to your doorstep in your own country, UNLESS your own government allows it? The only way “ THE  WEST ”, or any foreign body can dump toxic waste in your community is if YOUR GOVERNMENT chooses to allow it?

Selling of used computers to Africa is not new. Africans rush to purchase and ship used clothing, wigs, shoes, etc already. African companies all over the world work to ship used computers back to Africa on a daily basis. In Kenya, many of the schools are equipped with many of these used computers and are soon to go online with those used computers and parts.

Now this is not to say that even within the same countries used computers are not being sold at the local stores or the salvation army to those who are too poor to purchase a brand new one.

Shipping of any type of good to any country is at the consent of the government. You hear of the many complaints by business men of how their goods are seized or turned back at our wharfs. Now think . If your government really did not want those “toxic wastes” in your country, would they get through? Would the shippers not be fined or even arrested for such?
Re: Toxic Waste From The West (uk) Dumped In Africa by rookie(m): 2:27pm On Sep 18, 2009
Kobojunkie:

What sort of question is that? Where they FORCED to sign, at gun point or something, deals to have refuse dumped in Africa? If you want to believe that, that is fine with me.

Dude relax. My question was simple enough, and doesn't prompt for argument!
Re: Toxic Waste From The West (uk) Dumped In Africa by Kobojunkie: 2:34pm On Sep 18, 2009
Hey!! People are free to believe what they want of the African situation. We have been living in bondage for generations now. Only problem is the bonds and shackles have been put on us by our own Government, with lies that they are foreign imposed and we have continued to swallow all that nonsense for all that time. Look where it has brought us and where it will take us from here, is up to each and everyone of us.
Re: Toxic Waste From The West (uk) Dumped In Africa by rookie(m): 3:00pm On Sep 18, 2009
Kobojunkie:

African governments CHOOSING TO SIGN DEALS to make Africa a dumping Ground,

Since you wont substantiate the above claim or retract it, it is fair to conclude by labeling it to be false and misleading.

(1) (Reply)

Who Really Is To Be Blame?leaders Or Followers For The Present State Of Nigeria / How Federal Government Burnt N2tr In Four Years On Fuel Subsidy / Two Nigerian Nationals Held For Drug Trafficking In Bangalore July 7, 2010, By S

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.