Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,272 members, 7,829,594 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 09:16 AM

A Letter To The Igbos - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / A Letter To The Igbos (1597 Views)

Enough Is Enough: A Letter From Mohammed Zakzaky, Son Of Shiite Leader, Zakzaky / The North Is Playing Into Igbo Trap, They Will Lose More If The Igbos Leave. / Lere Olayinka Writes Buhari A Letter Over Bola Ige's Reopened Murder Case (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

A Letter To The Igbos by Speak2klein: 5:54pm On Jul 28, 2016
Letter to igbos
By Eizu Uwaoma
Hexavia

Dear Igbos,

The past may either make you bitter or better. I spoke at my home town in Aba over the weekend at an event in front of my father for the first time and my message was simple, “We need to create a better homeland here and you don’t need Buhari or anyone to do that. It starts from us. The solution can come from here and not Abuja. Yes, the present government is replacing old type of corruption with a new type called nepotism but my Dear Igbo Brothers, haven’t you noticed you’re a genius. It doesn’t make you superior than others but you are special at least.”So what?” is my attitude to life. So what if you are not given a chance. Look at your classmates or your family and you’d notice that equal opportunity does not guarantee equal outcome.

You need no validation, not even by politics. You survive anywhere that is why you are everywhere. Pick that up and be creative. Face Your Work. Stop Selling To Our kids the same old National Bitterness. Black Americans did that from slavery and that’s why they are the most backward in America. Blacks in South Africa have the same challenge after apartheid. If you don’t forgive, forget and overwrite with a better strategy, you can’t move on. Look at things with an unbiased and clear mind and you’ll participate better. Your own leaders haven’t represented you well. Ask them questions back home before you look up Abuja. It took an Obama to be in the White House because he had parent who didn’t sell that same old black power bitterness of being black (maybe because he was raised majorly by white people). He was also excellent that he flawed any discrimination to emerge. Excellence is the best weapon for discrimination, shout out to Kachikwu of NNPC, Dora of NAFDAC, Peter Obi of Anambra, Soludo of CBN (the difference is clear isn’t it). A time will come where this country will look up to excellence and not association.

You may be politically irrelevant, but if we took out any atom of bitterness and faced what we have, our economic brilliance, creativity, wisdom and entrepreneurial spirit, we can collaborate more, we can buy back everything we lost and more, including power and that freedom if we still need it. This for me is how tribalism and race can be fought. Let’s build something tangible like the Jews have done, other things like power will align. It is just the principles of life. So face your work, at least you have one.
Things can either drain or inspire you.
I wrote 5 steps to fight discrimination.

Step 1 of 5,
1.NO ONE REALLY RESPECTS YOU IF THEY DON’T THINK YOU HAVE A BACK UP.
The Chinese, Indian and Italian gangs are more bloody than black gangsters (which is even exaggerated in movies and Hip Hop), however no one touches them because they know if they do, there are people who will fight for them. It may even become an international issue as they come from a community that is powerful. This is one of the most powerful concept. But let’s be real, there’s no real power without unity and progress. this means finance also.
For number 2 to 5, visit Nigeria’s most powerful business community:
http://www.hbc.org.ng/2016/07/20/what-blacks-dont-know/

1 Like 1 Share

Re: A Letter To The Igbos by Arthurwinner(m): 6:14pm On Jul 28, 2016
if only all Igbo's will reflect on this and feel the passion I just felt, i love our father land let all that go and get the money always rem to develop papa land

1 Like

Re: A Letter To The Igbos by babyfaceafrica: 7:08pm On Jul 28, 2016
Okay
Re: A Letter To The Igbos by Speak2klein: 7:32pm On Jul 28, 2016
Cc lalasticala
Re: A Letter To The Igbos by medpren: 7:50pm On Jul 28, 2016
Have the Jews you talked about forgiven and forgotten about Hitler after losing 6 million people in concentration camps?

Every year there is a remembrance of the holocaust against the Jews.
Why is there no commemoration of millions of Biafran kids who were mowed down by Fulani and their hausa and yoruba puppies and stooges? Nigeria won't organize a commemoration, when the East organizes a remembrance day, children of the fulani and hausa vandal keep killing them on remembrance day.
Did the Jews ban the holocaust from being taught in schools?

Nigeria's ultimate future is disintegration even Buhari knows this in his inner mind. You can bet on that. The rest of you can keep deluding yourselves that the occupants of the contraption will remain entrapped forever.

17 Likes 3 Shares

Re: A Letter To The Igbos by Speak2klein: 8:34pm On Jul 28, 2016
The best step to independence is actually financial independence. That is what the article clamours for. Let's first develop our region as we do that we are less dependent on the FG. Rather than focus on the problem, create solutions. Remember the biafran war, what killed most if the easterners wasn't guns or bullets but hunger. If the easterners were self sufficient in food then the massacre wouldn't have been that terrible. Once beaten twice shy. I hope we learn.

1 Like

Re: A Letter To The Igbos by Speak2klein: 9:04pm On Aug 01, 2016
Truth
Re: A Letter To The Igbos by Ejanla07: 9:48pm On Aug 01, 2016
trash trasher trashest ...

i miss dat my trash can picture
Re: A Letter To The Igbos by plaetton: 10:01pm On Aug 01, 2016
While I agree with some points here, I do disagree with the general thrust of this article.

What I keep hearing , thread after thread, is that Igbos should pretend that all is well with the Nigerian federation, continue to play ostrich , and continue to take it in the arxx like all other pretenders and hypocrites in the land.

No.
Everyone is different. We are different. We agitate because we are pushed to agitate.
We would not be Igbos if we endure and pretend like everyone else.

When the southwest was under the jackboots of Abacha, no one said the southwest should not agitate.
Everyone, every group that that has the courage should agitate, show their frustrations when necessary.

Igbos should continue to speak up in the face of tyranny, nepotism and when the parochial interests of feudal lords sideline and marginalize our collective well-being.

8 Likes

Re: A Letter To The Igbos by oyinkinola: 10:31pm On Aug 01, 2016
....op i don't know your age but your wisdom is commendable, am a yoruba but i always worried about igbo and i ask sometime where is sage in igbo land? as you said if japan let hold down with astrocity commited by american against them they wont be where they are today! igbo free yourself with your concernt not other!
if you like we can interact:oyinkinolaoladoja8@gmail .com
Re: A Letter To The Igbos by Speak2klein: 10:34pm On Aug 01, 2016
oyinkinola:
....op i don't know your age but your wisdom is commendable, am a yoruba but i always worried about igbo and i ask sometime where is sage in igbo land? as you said if japan let hold down with astrocity commited by american against them they wont be where they are today! igbo free yourself with your concernt not other!
if you like we can interact:oyinkinolaoladoja8@gmail .com

Thank you @oyinkinola
Re: A Letter To The Igbos by Speak2klein: 10:38pm On Aug 01, 2016
plaetton:
While I agree with some points here, I do disagree with the general thrust of this article.

What I keep hear , thread after thread, is that Igbos should pretend that all is well with the Nigerian federation, continue to play ostrich , and continue to take it in the arxx like all other pretenders and hypocrites in the land.

No.
Everyone is different. We are different. We agitate because we are pushed to agitate.
We would not be Igbos if we endure and pretend like everyone else.

When the southwest was under the jackboots of Abacha, no one said the southwest should not agitate.
Everyone, every group that that has the courage should agitate, show their frustrations when necessary.

Igbos should continue to speak up in the face of tyranny, nepotism and when the parochial interests of feudal lords sideline and marginalize our collective well-being.

For as long as I can remember, the igbos have been agitating and so far it has gotten us nowhere. When the FG notices independence they will sit up. Lagos is a good example, for no reason would the FG fail to give attention to Lagos when needed because of its economic importance. If we can achieve that in the east then we become indispensable and value increases.

1 Like

Re: A Letter To The Igbos by gartamanta: 11:52pm On Aug 01, 2016
Speak2klein:
The best step to independence is actually financial independence. That is what the article clamours for. Let's first develop our region as we do that we are less dependent on the FG. Rather than focus on the problem, create solutions. Remember the biafran war, what killed most if the easterners wasn't guns or bullets but hunger. If the easterners were self sufficient in food then the massacre wouldn't have been that terrible. Once beaten twice shy. I hope we learn.

Stop talking like an ignoramus. How can you be talking about Igbos developing their land and being financially independent when the Igbos don't have their sovereignty? How can the Igbo man control his destiny when that destiny is controlled in Abuja? How can the Igbo man reach his full potential when when the Igbo man is under the laws of Nigeria? Is the Igbo man controlling his large deposit of Coal in Enugu? Is the Igbo man controlling his Oil in Anioma,Anambra, Imo and Abia? Is the Igbo controlling his large deposit of limestone in Ebonyi? All of these natural resources are under the Government of Nigeria. So how do you think that a people who don't have their sovereignty can grow? Start talking about the real issues instead of this "let's keep managing in Nigeria" mentality you have.

One more thing. During the Biafran war, people didn't starve in Igboland because of lack of a strong Agricultural base. It is on record that the largest food producing area in the Eastern region that later became Biafra was Abakiliki. Ojukwu foresaw that there would be a food crises and began a program of intensive cultivation of the land. The reason why people starved was because the war turned many into refugees and they had to leave their lands and farms to flee for dear life.

8 Likes

Re: A Letter To The Igbos by plaetton: 12:14am On Aug 02, 2016
Speak2klein:

For as long as I can remember, the igbos have been agitating and so far it has gotten us nowhere. When the FG notices independence they will sit up. Lagos is a good example, for no reason would the FG fail to give attention to Lagos when needed because of its economic importance. If we can achieve that in the east then we become indispensable and value increases.

Correction. We already are indispensable. We don't need to bow down to cows to validate our indispensability.

Lagos state has been agitating , for a long time now, for greater and special revenue allocation due to it's population, it's vast infrastructural needs, and it's status as the economic hub and melting pot for all Nigerians ethnic nationalities.
In fact, former Lagos state governor, Bola Tinubu, had a prolonged rift with OBJ on account of this legitimate agitation.

And BTW, who is the Master or who are the Masters to whom Igbos must ingratiate themselves in order to receive our statutory benefits of being part of the Nigerian federation ?

3 Likes

Re: A Letter To The Igbos by dreamwords: 3:43am On Aug 02, 2016
Ok
Re: A Letter To The Igbos by Speak2klein: 5:32am On Aug 02, 2016
gartamanta:

Stop talking like an ignoramus. How can you be talking about Igbos developing their land and being financially independent when the Igbos don't have their sovereignty? How can the Igbo man control his destiny when that destiny is controlled in Abuja? How can the Igbo man reach his full potential when when the Igbo man is under the laws of Nigeria? Is the Igbo man controlling his large deposit of Coal in Enugu? Is the Igbo man controlling his Oil in Anioma,Anambra, Imo and Abia? Is the Igbo controlling his large deposit of limestone in Ebonyi? All of these natural resources are under the Government of Nigeria. So how do you think that a people who don't have their sovereignty can grow? Start talking about the real issues instead of this "let's keep managing in Nigeria" mentality you have.

One more thing. During the Biafran war, people didn't starve in Igboland because of lack of a strong Agricultural base. It is on record that the largest food producing area in the Eastern region that later became Biafra was Abakiliki. Ojukwu foresaw that there would be a food crises and began a program of intensive cultivation of the land. The reason why people starved was because the war turned many into refugees and they had to leave their lands and farms to flee for dear life.

OK sir! They should continue to waste time and clamour for sovereignty. What plans are on ground after sovereignty? Unfortunately, we Nigerians are always sentimental about things. The igbos have left their lands to develop other places eg Lagos. I have not seen any indication or alliance between the igbo governors. In the end we gain sovereignty and can't even survive after. I'm not against sovereignty, I'm against sovereignty without a plan. Let's get things right in our cupboard first before we start clamouring for sovereignty.

2 Likes

Re: A Letter To The Igbos by Speak2klein: 5:42am On Aug 02, 2016
plaetton:

Correction. We already are indispensable. We don't need to bow down to cows to validate our indispensability.

Lagos state has been agitating , for a long time now, for greater and special revenue allocation due to it's population, it's vast infrastructural needs, and it's status as the economic hub and melting pot for all Nigerians ethnic nationalities.
In fact, former Lagos state governor, Bola Tinubu, had a prolonged rift with OBJ on account of this legitimate agitation.

And BTW, who is the Master or who are the Masters to whom Igbos must ingratiate themselves in order to receive our statutory benefits of being part of the Nigerian federation ?

Let's get things straight sir, Lagos was never indispensable. As a matter of fact Lagos as a state is the 5th largest economy in Africa. If Lagos were in the east and threatened to break away, it would survive and it would be devastating to Nigeria. What I'm saying is, let's be smart and stop being emotional about this thing. I would rather be the most relevant person in a company before threatening to leave, that way the management would beg and make things suit me if I wanted. Let's focus on developing the east just as we did Lagos so that even if we were to leave, we leave knowing that we will survive and most importantly thrive.

2 Likes

Re: A Letter To The Igbos by Pavore9: 6:47am On Aug 02, 2016
@gartamanta, we may not agree with the OP in its entirety but your alluding that because we are not controlling the deposits of limestone. coal and oil that is why we have not reached our full potential is very debatable.

Let us take Singapore that is now a first world economy as a case study, their currency is almost at par with the US dollar. As of 1965, it was looking so tiny and underdeveloped that prospects did not look good but It has established the economic status without having ANY natural resources that they even import almost half of the water they need from Malaysia and that has been the case since 1962 but look at South Sudan with the size that is 128 times the size of Anambra state and has huge deposits of gold, uranium, iron, copper, diamonds etc in addition to large oil reserves BUT life there is HELL.

What counts is what is in the head and not what is buried underground.

Who do the Igbos need permission from before establishing dairy farms in the South-east so we can produce at least a million litre of milk daily?

Who do the Igbos need permission from before establishing vegetable and spice farms in the South-east so we no longer need to go up North to bring in lettuce, Cabbage, cucumber, garlic etc?

Who can stop the Igbos from setting up biogas systems for cooking in their homes using waste from farms and the markets?

Who can stop me from setting up an aquaponic farm in my village in Imo State and be harvesting a tonne of Strawberries monthly, this which can easily be set up with the amount someone splashes on an SUV?

Once again the human resource is the game changer!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: A Letter To The Igbos by bakynes(m): 7:45am On Aug 02, 2016
Speak2klein:

What i dont like hearing is Igbos developed Lagos. Are you guys the ones controlling the Lagos State Civil service and Adminstration of lagos? You come to Lagos in droves to do business to better your lives and inturn we collect taxes from you and other Nigerians to develop the state. So tell me how you guys developed lagos. The taxes from Multi-national companies is 50X more than how much igbos pay as taxes. The investment Dangote makes in Lagos is 20X the taxes igbos pay in Lagos so how did you develop lagos? If truly you guys developed lagos why cant you replicate such in the SE. Fine Lagos has always had advantages due to its proximity to the Sea, Former British Colony and Former Federal Capital and Home to many Multi- national companies that is what has made lagos what it is.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Letter To The Igbos by gartamanta: 8:37am On Aug 02, 2016
Speak2klein:

OK sir! They should continue to waste time and clamour for sovereignty. What plans are on ground after sovereignty? Unfortunately, we Nigerians are always sentimental about things. The igbos have left their lands to develop other places eg Lagos. I have not seen any indication or alliance between the igbo governors. In the end we gain sovereignty and can't even survive after. I'm not against sovereignty, I'm against sovereignty without a plan. Let's get things right in our cupboard first before we start clamouring for sovereignty.

Clamouring for sovereignty isn't a waste of time. A person without sovereignty is actually a nobody. It is having control of your land, your resources, your laws and your political will that makes you sovereing and gives you the best chance to develop your land as you see fit. Ideally, Nigeria should have been run in a "European union style" confederation where all Igbos, Igboids,Igbo speaking people and some of the minorities who confortable with Igbos will be in one region with no states, just provinces (or Local Govts). The Regions will be more powerful than the center, control 100% of their resources, pay an agree percentage to the center, have their own parliament, enact their own laws, have their own regional police etc. it is then that Igbos can finally administer themselves and develop their land. But we all know that the North does want this because they know that 'Igbo region' is liable to secede any time.

Igbos leaving their land to develop other places was as a direct consequence of the war because they had to move out of their war ravaged lands to find green pasture elsewhere. But I'm happy this trend is declining. Current happenings in Nigeria has made Igbos realise that 'one Nigeria' is redundant. Many Igbos are now choosing to site their immovable assets back home due to the volatility of Nigeria.

When you talk about 'plan'. You can't put the cart before the Horse. Britain just recently left the EU single market. Not even the British Government has a plan about what they will do outside the EU. What they do know is that the sovereign will of the British people must be followed and they believe that they will survive outside the EU.

3 Likes

Re: A Letter To The Igbos by Speak2klein: 10:15am On Aug 03, 2016
gartamanta:

Clamouring for sovereignty isn't a waste of time. A person without sovereignty is actually a nobody. It is having control of your land, your resources, your laws and your political will that makes you sovereing and gives you the best chance to develop your land as you see fit. Ideally, Nigeria should have been run in a "European union style" confederation where all Igbos, Igboids,Igbo speaking people and some of the minorities who confortable with Igbos will be in one region with no states, just provinces (or Local Govts). The Regions will be more powerful than the center, control 100% of their resources, pay an agree percentage to the center, have their own parliament, enact their own laws, have their own regional police etc. it is then that Igbos can finally administer themselves and develop their land. But we all know that the North does want this because they know that 'Igbo region' is liable to secede any time.

Igbos leaving their land to develop other places was as a direct consequence of the war because they had to move out of their war ravaged lands to find green pasture elsewhere. But I'm happy this trend is declining. Current happenings in Nigeria has made Igbos realise that 'one Nigeria' is redundant. Many Igbos are now choosing to site their immovable assets back home due to the volatility of Nigeria.

When you talk about 'plan'. You can't put the cart before the Horse. Britain just recently left the EU single market. Not even the British Government has a plan about what they will do outside the EU. What they do know is that the sovereign will of the British people must be followed and they believe that they will survive outside the EU.

You mentioned something, you said the igbos are now moving their immovable assets back to their land. You see! That's what I'm saying.. That is actually the positive move. Meanwhile, concerning business, what saddens me most about the igbos is the fact that they're not too keen on Branding. We have lots of igbo business and very few igbo brands. That is what the your a have over the igbos, they understand branding and with a brand, you build influence. For example yesterday, I was with a wealthy igbo man who had done well for himself and was planning to build a Plaza. We actually were there to help him make the best choice of business that would thrive in that vicinity, at the end if the day we agreed but what caught my attention was his excitement when he said "and somebody can even come and buy it oh". For him that was the peak, he didn't even care about the brand. I wish the igbos could look into this more. Build not just wealth but a brand, it gives you influence and power.
Re: A Letter To The Igbos by Speak2klein: 10:16am On Aug 03, 2016
gartamanta:

You mentioned something, you said the igbos are now moving their immovable assets back to their land. You see! That's what I'm saying.. That is actually the positive move. Meanwhile, concerning business, what saddens me most about the igbos is the fact that they're not too keen on Branding. We have lots of igbo business and very few igbo brands. That is what the your a have over the igbos, they understand branding and with a brand, you build influence. For example yesterday, I was with a wealthy igbo man who had done well for himself and was planning to build a Plaza. We actually were there to help him make the best choice of business that would thrive in that vicinity, at the end if the day we agreed but what caught my attention was his excitement when he said "and somebody can even come and buy it oh". For him that was the peak, he didn't even care about the brand. I wish the igbos could look into this more. Build not just wealth but a brand, it gives you influence and power
Re: A Letter To The Igbos by Speak2klein: 11:36pm On Aug 04, 2016
I think this deserves front page. Supermods Lalasticala please, I think every igbo should see this
Re: A Letter To The Igbos by Speak2klein: 3:27pm On Sep 27, 2016
*Improvement Tuesday*
_Lessons I took away and my views on the American Debate last night_. *smiling*

Trump got trumped by Clinton through calmness. Clinton understands diplomacy and at that level of the campaign, it is definitely needed. The truth is, the best price of a successful attack is a constructive alternative. She kept at that, and kept referring to the questions asked.

A few weeks ago, I wrote about leadership, also about quiet and about conflict management. I wish he read it. Trump is real. I really like him, especially his guts, but no, not as a president. He is pretty real. But truth be told, at that level, you don’t need to be real, you need to be diplomatic and political. Running a business and sitting in board meetings over the years with people twice my age (some of which were among those that wrecked this country) I stumbled upon a fact through experience, as you become more successful or climb higher, learn to talk less, especially if those around you are less truthful. As you climb higher, for others, they change, I mean their masks start to fall off, people become more diplomatic, and everything becomes more political. Trump needs a class on politics.

Donald Trump might have had a cold, or on something. He kept sniffing. Trump drinking a lot of water and sniffing his nose hundreds of times over might also be a show of discomfort by body language. Intellectualism isn’t his turf. I actually don’t think any of them are, but Clinton is better with her mind. Trump wasn’t in his element. All she needed to do is keep him that way all through the debate and she did. If you let Donald Trump play on his turf, which is media and mass appeal, you’ll be in trouble because he understands word play, bravado and ridicule more than facts, diplomacy and intelligence. Ridicule is a weak man's most potent weapon. It is almost impossible to counteract ridicule. Also it infuriates the opposition, which then reacts to your advantage. Trump didn’t get a chance to show his ridicule a lot.

Lately, I’ve been reading one of the most powerful books ever written, it’s called Rules for Radicals by the controversial Satanist Sail Alinsky and as weird as the book is, he broke this down by saying "A good tactic is one your people enjoy." Clinton just had to make sure Trump didn’t play well on getting the people to enjoy his bravado through overwriting it with intelligence and put togetherness. Mindfulness is a powerful part of emotional intelligence. And she has it. She also played to the gallery on non Americans like us who feel threatened by Trumps careless statements on foreign policies. She kept reminding us of strong ties America has with foreigners (NATO, Arab nations etc) as against what Donald Trump has been saying. In Saul Alinsky’s book, he broke down a key concept that says “One of the factors that changes what you can and can't communicate is relationships. There are sensitive areas that one does not touch until there is a strong personal relationship based on common involvements.” She kept involving others and don’t forget that the world is now more global village than ever, so our views and emotions as non Americans count more in this election than ever and she has us. Don’t forget that the poll results come from the opinion of others, including us.

One more thing, he needs to manage his inner camp well. He needs to talk less. I don’t think he listens well to his inner circle, if he has. The world has too many details of him. He needs to tighten his lose ends. He needs to form better allies. He is losing too many friends. And they are becoming enemies. That in itself is a distraction. Look through history, whether boardroom politics or straight fights, and you’d realise that the deadliest wars are fought by former insiders. The worst kind of enemies comes from people who were once friends.

For more details on managing conflicts, diplomacy and team, please visit http://www.hbc.org.ng/2016/07/19/introverts-and-their-power-of-quietness/
Re: A Letter To The Igbos by Vicadonis(m): 3:29pm On Sep 27, 2016
hmmmmmn

(1) (Reply)

See Kogi State Governor, Yahaya Bello, Campaigning For Rotimi Akeredolu (photos) / Photos: Zahra Buhari At Her Tea Party Themed Bridal Shower / Donald Trump Shuns Buhari For Inauguration, Invites Goodluck Jonathan

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 102
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.