Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,445 members, 7,823,038 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 10:11 PM

My Building Process: 3 Bedroom Bungalow - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / My Building Process: 3 Bedroom Bungalow (10757 Views)

The Walls Of My Building Soaks And Painting Peels! What Do I Do? / How Do I Get Bricks For My Building? / How Can I Get My Building Plans Approved In Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Building Process: 3 Bedroom Bungalow by comprende: 2:31pm On Jul 29, 2016
Hello Construction Gurus and enthusiasts

I have been a quiet observer of the property segment for a long time.. reading, learning and observing. Like every other person here, I also have longed to be a proud landlord. So, I eventually was able to purchase a piece of land in 2015.

My intention was to update the process of my building progressively so that I can get advise from professionals here. But some factors have made that impossible for me. One is funds, I started working on the building this year but I have had to pause construction at stages so as not to stress myself financially. Also, I am combining various activities, work is very demanding, Im also writing a series of exams....I am at lintel level now. I hope that going forward, I will be able to get valuable advice and guidance from the professional here.

So, please bear with me. Uploading pictures and progress might be slow, but we will get there grin

1 Like

Re: My Building Process: 3 Bedroom Bungalow by comprende: 2:45pm On Jul 29, 2016
Land when it was purchased.

Surveryor mapped it and we did a demarcation to mark the land
Re: My Building Process: 3 Bedroom Bungalow by comprende: 2:58pm On Jul 29, 2016
Got building plan
Re: My Building Process: 3 Bedroom Bungalow by comprende: 3:00pm On Jul 29, 2016
Detailed plan
Re: My Building Process: 3 Bedroom Bungalow by msogunro: 3:49pm On Jul 29, 2016
Congratulations! Where is your land located?
Re: My Building Process: 3 Bedroom Bungalow by comprende: 4:48pm On Jul 29, 2016
It's located in Nasarawa state. When the big bucks roll in, we can move back into d FCT cheesy
Re: My Building Process: 3 Bedroom Bungalow by comprende: 5:28pm On Jul 29, 2016
March 2016, decided to go ahead with the foundation

Re: My Building Process: 3 Bedroom Bungalow by comprende: 12:33pm On Jul 30, 2016
We went on to blinding and block work for the foundation. After laying like three coaches for the foundation. I came one afternoon to check on progress. As I walked around looking at the job, I noticed that there was a problem...the back of the house was distended and was wider than the front part.

The guy supervising and Mason said that was not the case and insisted that it was cause I was trying the gauge the size by eyesight and cause the land itself wasn't of equal length on all sides. I insisted and requested that they bring their tapes...when I measured the sides my fears were confirmed....I immediately lost it....

I started screaming at the guys...I had never built a house, yet I am able to identify an error as serious as this. Then the blame game started..Mason said it was the guy supervising who caused it, the supervisor said the Mason didn't take to his instructions...

It took the help of my neighbour who is experienced in building to correct the mistakes, we had to break down the blocks that had been laid for the back, and front. It cost me more of course and pushed my expenses higher but it had to be done and done correctly.

I was infuriated during that period and totally forgot to document the whole episode in pictures...but I learnt a lesson. Even if you have people supervising your job for you, ensure you cross check to ensure they are doing the right thing.

I wanted to fire them instantly but my neighbour told me to keep them so as not to lose more money and rather keep on closer eye on the job they are doing.
Re: My Building Process: 3 Bedroom Bungalow by comprende: 6:43pm On Jul 30, 2016
Filling with laterite

Re: My Building Process: 3 Bedroom Bungalow by comprende: 6:51pm On Jul 30, 2016
Hardcore.

Re: My Building Process: 3 Bedroom Bungalow by Nobody: 6:55pm On Jul 30, 2016
I salute you OP, keep the info coming as I'm following keenly.

Here's my ongoing build https://www.nairaland.com/2847494/build-courtyard-bungalow-garage-apartment

A question, please advise the house why you used pillars on a bungalow. The reason I asked is that there are certain sectors who thinks that it is a waste on a bungalow to have pillars. I of course disagree and have pillars on both of my bungalows.

Good luck.
Re: My Building Process: 3 Bedroom Bungalow by comprende: 6:58pm On Jul 30, 2016
EgunMogaji:
I salute you OP, keep the info coming as I'm following keenly.

Here's my ongoing build https://www.nairaland.com/2847494/build-courtyard-bungalow-garage-apartment

A question, please advise the house why you used pillars on a bungalow. The reason I asked is that there are certain sectors who thinks that it is a waste on a bungalow to have pillars. I of course disagree and have pillars on both of my bungalows.

Good luck.

Thank you sir!

As for the pillars, I am not a building professional so it wasn't my idea, but was advised to include pillars cos of the weight of the roof. Also, you will notice that the house is narrow and long. So that also contributed to pillars being included.

1 Like

Re: My Building Process: 3 Bedroom Bungalow by joyli: 11:06pm On Jul 30, 2016
Can you please give the estimate to this level.
Re: My Building Process: 3 Bedroom Bungalow by comprende: 1:52pm On Jul 31, 2016
joyli:
Can you please give the estimate to this level.

@joyli, I might not be able to give that at this instant as it would require that I get out my working papers and do some calculations. But I will let you know later a rough estimate of what it cost me to complete the foundation.

1 Like

Re: My Building Process: 3 Bedroom Bungalow by comprende: 12:16pm On Aug 01, 2016
DPC casting

Re: My Building Process: 3 Bedroom Bungalow by comprende: 12:18pm On Aug 01, 2016
This stage was interesting for me cos I was given an estimate of just over 30 bags of cement...for my korokoro eyes, over 40 bags went into the ground

Re: My Building Process: 3 Bedroom Bungalow by comprende: 12:19pm On Aug 01, 2016
More pics

Re: My Building Process: 3 Bedroom Bungalow by comprende: 12:25pm On Aug 01, 2016
We were almost through when rain started falling heavily. But we were still able to continue after it stopped. We also ran out of sharp sand (20 tonne load o) we were able to buy a few wheel barrows from a kind neighbour..though it wasn't enough we were had to use more of plaster sand in the mix...at the end of the day, job was successfully completed!

Re: My Building Process: 3 Bedroom Bungalow by comprende: 11:32am On Aug 05, 2016
In July, we proceeded.

Got somebody else to handle the construction

Also made a slight change...moved the childrens sitting room to the kitchen and moved the dining forward...so we now have a fourth room that can be made either a bedroom or play room for the children

1 Like

Re: My Building Process: 3 Bedroom Bungalow by comprende: 11:42am On Aug 05, 2016
More Pics

Re: My Building Process: 3 Bedroom Bungalow by comprende: 11:58am On Aug 05, 2016
Jacking up!

Re: My Building Process: 3 Bedroom Bungalow by comprende: 12:13pm On Aug 05, 2016
more

Re: My Building Process: 3 Bedroom Bungalow by comprende: 12:19pm On Aug 05, 2016
Lintel!

Re: My Building Process: 3 Bedroom Bungalow by comprende: 12:22pm On Aug 05, 2016
More

Re: My Building Process: 3 Bedroom Bungalow by comprende: 7:25pm On Aug 05, 2016
I would appreciate some professional guidance from the house please.

How many coaches should be laid after lintel. My engineer said three coaches inside and two on the outside walls.

I am worried cos I don't want the ceiling to become too low after POP might have been done. If a ceiling fan is installed, an adult raising up his/her hand should not be hit by the rotating blades.

Experienced builders, Kindly help. How many coaches should be laid to provide sufficient clearance?
Re: My Building Process: 3 Bedroom Bungalow by Nobody: 7:48pm On Aug 05, 2016
comprende:

How many coaches should be laid after lintel. My engineer said three coaches inside and two on the outside walls.

I am worried cos I don't want the ceiling to become too low after POP might have been done. If a ceiling fan is installed, an adult raising up his/her hand should not be hit by the rotating blades.

Experienced builders, Kindly help. How many coaches should be laid to provide sufficient clearance?

I'm doing 2 all round. 3 is an overkill.

First not sure that you can pop and fan at the same time.

Second, it's 2016, ceiling fan??

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: My Building Process: 3 Bedroom Bungalow by abouzaid: 9:07pm On Aug 05, 2016
comprende:

Thank you sir!

As for the pillars, I am not a building professional so it wasn't my idea, but was advised to include pillars cos of the weight of the roof. Also, you will notice that the house is narrow and long. So that also contributed to pillars being included.
first i would advice you to go with three courses of block, because of pop, secondly, a house with high ceilings would definitely be cooler than one with a low ceiling according to simple physics, third, you used pillars on your house because you would be installing parapet/concrete fascia which is very heavy because it's made from reinforced concrete, that's probably why your builder asked you to use two blocks on the outside walls since the concrete fascia would act as the third wall, you can crosscheck this with your builder since only him knows his reason.
Re: My Building Process: 3 Bedroom Bungalow by abouzaid: 9:10pm On Aug 05, 2016
comprende:

and lest i forget, you can use pop ceiling and ceiling fan together if your ceiling is high enough, some even use four block courses, please Google for oluwa champion/ iamalone hto see where four courses was used after lintel here in nairaland.
Re: My Building Process: 3 Bedroom Bungalow by mufutau55(m): 1:07am On Aug 06, 2016
comprende:

If you are doing a drop POP then put three courses, if not, two courses is the norm.
If you intend to use ceiling fan, then use the flush mount ceiling fan or floor standing fan, not those long one...
Personal opinions... others may see it differently.

Hajji M.

1 Like

Re: My Building Process: 3 Bedroom Bungalow by comprende: 10:26am On Aug 06, 2016
Thank you all very much for your advice and suggestions. I think I will be sticking with what my engineer said based on what I have read from everybody.

@EgunMogaji The plan is not to install ceiling fans but to rather use that as a basis to get the appropriate height

1 Like

Re: My Building Process: 3 Bedroom Bungalow by Nobody: 3:27pm On Aug 06, 2016
comprende:
Thank you all very much for your advice and suggestions. I think I will be sticking with what my engineer said based on what I have read from everybody.

@EgunMogaji The plan is not to install ceiling fans but to rather use that as a basis to get the appropriate height

Understood.

Re: My Building Process: 3 Bedroom Bungalow by comprende: 4:38pm On Aug 14, 2016
So, completed the lintel stage.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Amen Estate Development / Enter Here For Current Price Of Any Kind Of Building Materials / Flood Submerges Over 150 Houses In Markurdi- Vanguard

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.