Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,565 members, 7,955,096 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 04:46 PM

High Interest Rate’ll Worsen Nigerian Banks’ Woes –Fitch Ratings - Business (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / High Interest Rate’ll Worsen Nigerian Banks’ Woes –Fitch Ratings (9950 Views)

Dollar Scarcity To Worsen As Security Operatives Clamps Down On BDCs / Despite The Economic Woes You Still Have No Time To Start A Home Based Business? / Fitch Downgrades Credit Ratings Of First Bank, UBA- The Vanguard (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: High Interest Rate’ll Worsen Nigerian Banks’ Woes –Fitch Ratings by kaen1317: 7:44am On Jul 30, 2016
I still believe that nothing happens by chance. It's providence that brought different people together as Nigeria. And its possible for us to live together in peace and harmony. When the most little part of the human body is in pain there's no way the body will feel comfortable. Every part of Nigeria is important and there is no section more important than the other. There is massive land, food, meat etc in the north. The south has oil, access to the the sea etc. The south should stop seeing the north as parasites and the north should stop seeing the south as servants or slaves and stop shedding blood at the slightest provocation. One 9ja!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: High Interest Rate’ll Worsen Nigerian Banks’ Woes –Fitch Ratings by wwhale(m): 7:45am On Jul 30, 2016
make it big.Nafdac approved product.
Re: High Interest Rate’ll Worsen Nigerian Banks’ Woes –Fitch Ratings by baloo(m): 7:51am On Jul 30, 2016
Truth234:

http://investorsking.com/high-interest-ratell-worsen-nigerian-banks-woes-fitch/
Hmnnn how sad.we should go for the non-intrest financing.
Re: High Interest Rate’ll Worsen Nigerian Banks’ Woes –Fitch Ratings by Adesiji77: 7:53am On Jul 30, 2016
wwhale:
make it big.Nafdac approved product.

What?

Was wondering what the picture was about cheesy
Re: High Interest Rate’ll Worsen Nigerian Banks’ Woes –Fitch Ratings by Truth234(m): 7:55am On Jul 30, 2016
27naira:

I was impressed when I read your analysis.. just yesterday, Bank of Japan unfolded certain economic stimulus package which includes ETF buyback programmes and increased USD swaps but guess what, analysts say that wasn't enough! They expected more rate cuts into the negative territory and an increase in the Monetary Base. BOJ wanted to curtail the rising value of the Yen which is hurting export. They wanted their money to depreciate! We need to drive foreign capital and ordinarily increasing Base rate should have worked but not any more. Investors want to see stability, they want to know their money is safe! That's why after Brexit, German bonds yield moved into negative territory because people were looking for security and not yield. We want Governments to come up with a policy frame work that works and peddling rates. As a matter of fact, government need to cut rates! And probably increase provision for USD swaps and borrow from IMF

You are conversant, BOJ decision to keep policy rate unchanged was strategic move. Investors across the globe were waiting to sell the yen massively and damage whatever confidence is left in the Japanese market. Haruhiko Kuroda is very smart, he knows there is no point creating negative perception of the economy while trying to curb the yen gains in order to steam exports. So they held back, he will expand stimulus but when investors least expect.

Yen rose against all its counterpart yesterday because investors considered it a viable safe haven asset. With this move now, no foreign investor will abandon Japan, New Zealand and Aussie assets for Nigeria. These are the three most sort after safe haven assets. Nigeria MPC team needs to take into consideration global economics when making decision as big as this.

1 Like

Re: High Interest Rate’ll Worsen Nigerian Banks’ Woes –Fitch Ratings by Nobody: 7:57am On Jul 30, 2016
In a statement on Friday, Fitch said, “Rising rates are likely to put additional pressure on banks’ asset quality. Almost all lending is extended at floating rates and banks should be able to reprice their loans quite quickly but borrowers will face more difficulties in servicing their debts.

“Impaired loans are already high in the Nigerian banking sector, where average non-performing loan ratios reached 6.2 per cent at end-March 2016, partly reflecting the impact of currency depreciation on businesses as well as higher oil-related problem loans at some banks.”

Fitch expects loan growth (excluding foreign-exchange translation effects) to slow during the second half of 2016 and into 2017.

Well, the banks have no choice.

Thanks to falling oil prices, the money is not there anymore. Lowering interest rates will make loan taking easy, but would also make it difficult eventually for banks to make the money to give more loans...because people will just treat the banks as free dispensers of money.

Add the fact that Nigerians do not pay loans back easily (recall SLS having to publish the names of loan defaulters back in 2009....)...and you would understand why.

The real problem is lack of diversification in Nigeria's economy. And the truth is diversifying now is going to be a long hard road. But...we have to. We must end our reliance on resource-selling....and go industrial.
Re: High Interest Rate’ll Worsen Nigerian Banks’ Woes –Fitch Ratings by Truth234(m): 8:03am On Jul 30, 2016
Adesiji77:
@Truth234

It always does...

I am not an economist but it is apparent that the rate hike by MPC was just a gamble in the face of stagflation.

The inflationary trend can only go one way, which is north.

You are right @Adesiji77, the problem is the effect on the masses, businesses and even commercial banks if it fails.
Re: High Interest Rate’ll Worsen Nigerian Banks’ Woes –Fitch Ratings by Nobody: 8:06am On Jul 30, 2016
grandstar:
The country has no choice but to turn to the IMF.

That will help restore global confidence in the economy which has taken a blow due to some unsound economic policies of this administration. The government also needs short term funds to stabilise itself and the economy.

A bailout can not be ruled out

Welcome to the reality of the Nigerian economy....prime example of a Dutch diseased economy.

When the price of what you are selling goes down, you have to take loans.

But eventually, we are going to have to face the truth that our reliance on oil is what forces us to take loans....and get off oil totally.

1 Like

Re: High Interest Rate’ll Worsen Nigerian Banks’ Woes –Fitch Ratings by Nobody: 8:08am On Jul 30, 2016
peter1994:
Even though I respect Naija's decision to refuse IMF's help, I must admit that it is a dumb move. Because it's obvious that things are going bad and what we need are local n foreign investors but if we continue to act like this, we won't get any cos nobody wants to go down with the sinking ship

Thats why I respect people like ATIKU, cos he tries to invest some of his loot in Nigeria (his University, Intel that manage Onne sea Port in PH etc)

Taking loans does not always make things better....because eventually we would have to service the loans...and that only makes things worse in the long term.

Add the fact that such loans tend to be misused well well....

Nigeria's way out is simple. Face the fact that we are poor, that we were using oil money to live like spoiled children, get off the idea that oil money can guarantee us an eternal free lunch....and start working towards an industrial society.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: High Interest Rate’ll Worsen Nigerian Banks’ Woes –Fitch Ratings by Nobody: 8:11am On Jul 30, 2016
Truth234:

You are conversant, BOJ decision to keep policy rate unchanged was strategic move. Investors across the globe were waiting to sell the yen massively and damage whatever confidence is left in the Japanese market. Haruhiko Kuroda is very smart, he knows there is no point creating negative perception of the economy while trying to curb the yen gains in order to steam exports. So they held back, he will expand stimulus but when investors least expect.

Yen rose against all its counterpart yesterday because investors considered it a viable safe haven asset. With this move now, no foreign investor will abandon Japan, New Zealand and Aussie assets for Nigeria. These are the three most sort after safe haven assets. Nigeria MPC team needs to take into consideration global economics when making decision as big as this.

My problem with your analysis is that you are comparing Japan (developed country, already investor friendly)...with Nigeria (developing country, not investor friendly).

Investment is not too good in Nigeria not because of what we do with our interest rates, but because of corruption, tribalism, poor education systems, and poor power supply (that is going to take ages and millions to fix).

1 Like 1 Share

Re: High Interest Rate’ll Worsen Nigerian Banks’ Woes –Fitch Ratings by Truth234(m): 8:19am On Jul 30, 2016
Quakertellicus1:

My problem with your analysis is that you are comparing Japan (developed country, already investor friendly)...with Nigeria (developing country, not investor friendly).

Investment is not too good in Nigeria not because of what we do with our interest rates, but because of corruption, tribalism, poor education systems, and poor power supply (that is going to take ages and millions to fix).

This is the problem we are facing in Nigeria, if you are attracting foreign investors, you should know you are dragging them with other nations offering similar ROI or even better. They are foreign investors and only invest an economically viable nation -- taking into consideration risk exposure. So it makes no sense to inconvenient the masses because of unrealistic ambition of the CBN. How can CBN lure investors when they are not offering anything better or risks associate with investment outweigh returns. In this context you must juxtapose.
Re: High Interest Rate’ll Worsen Nigerian Banks’ Woes –Fitch Ratings by InvertedHammer: 8:29am On Jul 30, 2016
Only one thing is keeping Nigeria stagnant: Electricity.

With no constant power supply, every effort to revive the economy is a colossal waste of time and money.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: High Interest Rate’ll Worsen Nigerian Banks’ Woes –Fitch Ratings by ideology(m): 8:42am On Jul 30, 2016
Yian1:
You said you raised the interest rate to curb the inflation when much hasn't been done to improve the economy. Every business man is complaining that he doesn't get what he used to get in his business. Raising the interest rate will mostly discourage people getting loans as not much will be gained after deducting your high interest rate from sales.
cbn is practising trial and error, they just want to see how the market will react.

But I think it's foolishness.

We are losing FX, and they are shouting let increase our exports.
The best way to increase Fx is to export processed products, but Nigeria has been exporting raw materials.

Now how will a manufacturer assess loan and set up a factory to process raw materials to finished products with this exchange rate, don't forget that if the commercial banks are get it at 14%, they will give it out at 20 upwards %

Who suffers this? the poor masses,

Recession is looming, tighten your belt...

State government can't even pay salaries again, fg is looking for another tax to introduce …

Cluelessness that we have been prophesing is here

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: High Interest Rate’ll Worsen Nigerian Banks’ Woes –Fitch Ratings by Nobody: 8:47am On Jul 30, 2016
I am worried o..

onatisi:

And you honestly think buhari will understand even 10% of what you just wrote
You still don't get the problem Nigeria is having and facing.
You have a president that knows nothing at all about economics, to even make the matter worse he is a stubborn arrogant old man that will never take any sensible advice except those given to him by his fellow fulanis
Re: High Interest Rate’ll Worsen Nigerian Banks’ Woes –Fitch Ratings by waice6571: 8:49am On Jul 30, 2016
Hummmmmm

Re: High Interest Rate’ll Worsen Nigerian Banks’ Woes –Fitch Ratings by tempest02: 8:50am On Jul 30, 2016
ideology:
cbn is practising trial and error, they just want to see how the market will react.

But I think it's foolishness.

We are losing FX, and they are shouting let increase our exports.
The best way to increase Fx is to export processed products, but Nigeria has been exporting raw materials.

Now how will a manufacturer assess loan and set up a factory to process raw materials to finished products with this exchange rate, don't forget that if the commercial banks are get it at 14%, they will give it out at 20 upwards %

Who suffers this? the poor masses,

Recession is looming, tighten your belt...

State government can't even pay salaries again, fg is looking for another tax to introduce …

Cluelessness that we have been prophesing is here

When they employ due political relationships and not do a rigorous recruitment to get the best hands in the country, how do you expect them to progress?

Those "targeted head hunting" done through the years, is coming back to hunt us. The constitution has already reduced our ability to recruit the best hands into sensitive positions by the federal character, tribalism, favouritism and nepotism has made it worse.

Expect more problems Nigerians, oil will stay at the 50 dollars range for the next one year.

And expect the avengers to keep blowing up things.

If PMB cannot do the little as condemn herdsmen to send a message, you expect the niger deltans to condemn the avengers?

We are going to put our generation in serious trouble with the rate we are going
Re: High Interest Rate’ll Worsen Nigerian Banks’ Woes –Fitch Ratings by Nobody: 8:52am On Jul 30, 2016
Truth234:

This is the problem we are facing in Nigeria, if you are attracting foreign investors, you should know you are dragging them with other nations offering similar ROI or even better. They are foreign investors and only invest an economically viable nation -- taking into consideration risk exposure. So it makes no sense to inconvenient the masses because of unrealistic ambition of the CBN. How can CBN lure investors when they are not offering anything better or risks associate with investment outweigh returns. In this context you must juxtapose.

Well, one cannot invest in a country where the lights do not work, and you have to spend millions providing your power, water and security needs, and well as security for your international staff.....and where you have to pay bribes to everyone in sight.

Which is why it would be a good idea for the APC government to start fixing those problems...especially the power and security issues.

As for the rate rise...most banks are doing business in an environment that is already risky. The interest rates are there to protect the banks money stores. Lower them, and people would just take loans aimlessly....and the banks would get broke quickly. Better to keep them high so that only serious people would borrow from the banks...and work hard to pay their loans...and provide jobs for the jobless in the process.
Re: High Interest Rate’ll Worsen Nigerian Banks’ Woes –Fitch Ratings by onatisi(m): 8:56am On Jul 30, 2016
1acre:
I am worried o..

There is serious serious cause for concern.

Re: High Interest Rate’ll Worsen Nigerian Banks’ Woes –Fitch Ratings by IBBG(m): 8:57am On Jul 30, 2016
Truth234:
My post before interest rates was increased

After interest rates was increased

My new post, 20 percent inflation rate in this third quarter.
you are really on point. that was the same thought that was running through my mind. as it stands the country is suffering from stagflation. and yet they feel the only way to curb inflation is by raising interest rates and u begin to wonder which kind of inflation are they trying to battle, cos that move would have made sense if we were having a demand pull inflation. But as it stands its a cost push inflation fueled by liquidity freeze. so i still don't understand how raising interest rates bouys a shrinking economy. Maybe CBN knows better, i'm still a layman when it comes to economics.
Re: High Interest Rate’ll Worsen Nigerian Banks’ Woes –Fitch Ratings by Nobody: 9:00am On Jul 30, 2016
Had a salary increase in April, but its been wiped out by the 67% increase on PMS , I heard kerosene is now 135...this is so embarrassing ...Tinubu and co..
They caused all this mess !!!

When last did you hear from Bakare ?
onatisi:

There is serious serious cause for concern.
Re: High Interest Rate’ll Worsen Nigerian Banks’ Woes –Fitch Ratings by Nicur: 9:05am On Jul 30, 2016
virginboy1:

Buhari : my government will pay unemployed Nigerians
5k every month. 
People be like: sai Baba... change is
here..Nigeria will rise again! .

Buhari: I never promised to pay unemployed Nigerians
5k each month. .
People be like: No mind those Jonathanians. With their
fake news. Show us links where he promised that. We
are solidly behind you. Nothing for yam eaters .

Buhari : We have started collection of data to enable us
pay the unemployed graduates 5k. .
People be like : Where are those TANoids that said
Baba is not a promise keeper...shame on all PDP.
Baba till 2023 ! .

Buhari: I wont pay 5k to unemployed youths. Its not a
priority ! .
People be like: Baba is right! Whats the use of 5k?
What can 5k do to anyone. Mr president we love u.
Best president ever! .

I wont be surprised if I wake up tomorrow and hear : .

Buhari: Unemployed Nigerians should pay 5k every
month to the government: .

And still people be like: Think of what u can do for your
country and not what your country can do for you.
Baba is right. But I know those unpatriotic wailers
wont pay

. I don't think this is ordinary
hahaha. it is not oooh there is no smoke without fire!!

1 Like

Re: High Interest Rate’ll Worsen Nigerian Banks’ Woes –Fitch Ratings by onatisi(m): 9:07am On Jul 30, 2016
1acre:
Had a salary increase in April, but its been wiped out by the 67% increase on PMS , I heard kerosene is now 135...this is so embarrassing ...Tinubu and co..
They caused all this mess !!!

When last did you hear from Bakare ?
they will still increase pump price of pms before the year runs out to 200N. The issue is that this government has refused to carry the people along. Buhari is behaving as if he doesn't care what happens ,this was exactly the same thing that happened in 1985 when he was toppled. I dont know who lied to Nigerians that buhari has any economic sense,this man has always been a failure when it comes to management and governance
Re: High Interest Rate’ll Worsen Nigerian Banks’ Woes –Fitch Ratings by ideology(m): 9:09am On Jul 30, 2016
tempest02:

When they employ due political relationships and not do a rigorous recruitment to get the best hands in the country, how do you expect them to progress?

Those "targeted head hunting" done through the years, is coming back to hunt us. The constitution has already reduced our ability to recruit the best hands into sensitive positions by the federal character, tribalism, favouritism and nepotism has made it worse.

Expect more problems Nigerians, oil will stay at the 50 dollars range for the next one year.

If PMB cannot do the little as condemn herdsmen to send a message, you expect the niger deltans to condemn the avengers?

We are going to put our generation in serious trouble with the rate we are going
tell them all those shouting sai baba,

Na the loans dem de pile up for future, i de watch as dem go clear am.

The people that ruined this country are still in power, only myopic folks keep shouting PDP
Re: High Interest Rate’ll Worsen Nigerian Banks’ Woes –Fitch Ratings by Nobody: 9:21am On Jul 30, 2016
lETS HOPE AND PRAY.
onatisi:
they will still increase pump price of pms before the year runs out to 200N. The issue is that this government has refused to carry the people along. Buhari is behaving as if he doesn't care what happens ,this was exactly the same thing that happened in 1985 when he was toppled. I dont know who lied to Nigerians that buhari has any economic sense,this man has always been a failure when it comes to management and governance
Re: High Interest Rate’ll Worsen Nigerian Banks’ Woes –Fitch Ratings by onatisi(m): 9:22am On Jul 30, 2016
tempest02:

1 Like

Re: High Interest Rate’ll Worsen Nigerian Banks’ Woes –Fitch Ratings by Nobody: 9:30am On Jul 30, 2016
Hmmm
Re: High Interest Rate’ll Worsen Nigerian Banks’ Woes –Fitch Ratings by orisa37: 9:32am On Jul 30, 2016
We don't have Banks as they used to in the sixties and seventies. We have now "Rats infested Piggy Boxes".
Re: High Interest Rate’ll Worsen Nigerian Banks’ Woes –Fitch Ratings by onatisi(m): 9:33am On Jul 30, 2016
1acre:
lETS HOPE AND PRAY.

1 Like

Re: High Interest Rate’ll Worsen Nigerian Banks’ Woes –Fitch Ratings by Pavarottii(m): 9:37am On Jul 30, 2016
virginboy1:

Buhari : my government will pay unemployed Nigerians
5k every month. 
People be like: sai Baba... change is
here..Nigeria will rise again! .

Buhari: I never promised to pay unemployed Nigerians
5k each month. .
People be like: No mind those Jonathanians. With their
fake news. Show us links where he promised that. We
are solidly behind you. Nothing for yam eaters .

Buhari : We have started collection of data to enable us
pay the unemployed graduates 5k. .
People be like : Where are those TANoids that said
Baba is not a promise keeper...shame on all PDP.
Baba till 2023 ! .

Buhari: I wont pay 5k to unemployed youths. Its not a
priority ! .
People be like: Baba is right! Whats the use of 5k?
What can 5k do to anyone. Mr president we love u.
Best president ever! .

I wont be surprised if I wake up tomorrow and hear : .

Buhari: Unemployed Nigerians should pay 5k every
month to the government: .

And still people be like: Think of what u can do for your
country and not what your country can do for you.
Baba is right. But I know those unpatriotic wailers
wont pay

. I don't think this is ordinary
Well composed; Applaudise; 3 bottles of stout, 2 plates of Nkwobi and a babe from Brazil for the night for u....

1 Like

Re: High Interest Rate’ll Worsen Nigerian Banks’ Woes –Fitch Ratings by adconline(m): 9:38am On Jul 30, 2016
27naira:

I was impressed when I read your analysis.. just yesterday, Bank of Japan unfolded certain economic stimulus package which includes ETF buyback programmes and increased USD swaps but guess what, analysts say that wasn't enough! They expected more rate cuts into the negative territory and an increase in the Monetary Base. BOJ wanted to curtail the rising value of the Yen which is hurting export. They wanted their money to depreciate! We need to drive foreign capital and ordinarily increasing Base rate should have worked but not any more. Investors want to see stability, they want to know their money is safe! That's why after Brexit, German bonds yield moved into negative territory because people were looking for security and not yield. We want our Government to come up with a policy frame work that works and stop peddling rates. As a matter of fact, government need to cut rates! And probably increase provision for USD swaps and borrow from IMF
Good job stating some facts, but in this era of Trumpism and Buharism, folks don't care about facts!!
Re: High Interest Rate’ll Worsen Nigerian Banks’ Woes –Fitch Ratings by Pavarottii(m): 9:40am On Jul 30, 2016
[quote author=onatisi post=48019539][/quote]
Onatisi my guy, spot on "Economically this budget is full of future problem"

Well indeed we are facing d problems now. cool

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

FREE LOAN: An Opportunity To Access Up To N1,000,000 Interest Free Loan facility / External Reserve: Across The US$40bn Threshold, And Counting / I Need Advice On How To Start Selling Clothes And Shoes Like Boutiques

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 92
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.