Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,487 members, 7,954,879 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 11:35 AM

High Interest Rate’ll Worsen Nigerian Banks’ Woes –Fitch Ratings - Business (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / High Interest Rate’ll Worsen Nigerian Banks’ Woes –Fitch Ratings (9949 Views)

Dollar Scarcity To Worsen As Security Operatives Clamps Down On BDCs / Despite The Economic Woes You Still Have No Time To Start A Home Based Business? / Fitch Downgrades Credit Ratings Of First Bank, UBA- The Vanguard (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: High Interest Rate’ll Worsen Nigerian Banks’ Woes –Fitch Ratings by onatisi(m): 9:41am On Jul 30, 2016
virginboy1:

Buhari : my government will pay unemployed Nigerians
5k every month. 
People be like: sai Baba... change is
here..Nigeria will rise again! .

Buhari: I never promised to pay unemployed Nigerians
5k each month. .
People be like: No mind those Jonathanians. With their
fake news. Show us links where he promised that. We
are solidly behind you. Nothing for yam eaters .

Buhari : We have started collection of data to enable us
pay the unemployed graduates 5k. .
People be like : Where are those TANoids that said
Baba is not a promise keeper...shame on all PDP.
Baba till 2023 ! .

Buhari: I wont pay 5k to unemployed youths. Its not a
priority ! .
People be like: Baba is right! Whats the use of 5k?
What can 5k do to anyone. Mr president we love u.
Best president ever! .

I wont be surprised if I wake up tomorrow and hear : .

Buhari: Unemployed Nigerians should pay 5k every
month to the government: .

And still people be like: Think of what u can do for your
country and not what your country can do for you.
Baba is right. But I know those unpatriotic wailers
wont pay

. I don't think this is ordinary
The juju broom magic no be small. Almost everyone that took the rice and fufu distributed by apc during the elections had their brains eroded

2 Likes

Re: High Interest Rate’ll Worsen Nigerian Banks’ Woes –Fitch Ratings by onatisi(m): 9:52am On Jul 30, 2016
Pavarottii:

Onatisi my guy, spot on "Economically this budget is full of future problem"

Well indeed we are facing d problems now. cool
The budget was all wrong from the planning stage,it must have been drafted in daura,but instead of Nigerians to critically analyze it then ,they kept shouting budget of change . Now there is no way this insane government wont borrow and keep on borrowing. Fayose raised this same issue then but many didn't take him serious

http://m.guardian.ng/news/fayose-faults-fgs-plan-to-fund-2016-budget-with-n1-84tr-loan/

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: High Interest Rate’ll Worsen Nigerian Banks’ Woes –Fitch Ratings by Etogist: 9:57am On Jul 30, 2016
Instead of palliative measure to reduce the effect of this killing economy, Buhari is adding fuel to the already raging fire. I wonder oh!
Re: High Interest Rate’ll Worsen Nigerian Banks’ Woes –Fitch Ratings by Nobody: 10:00am On Jul 30, 2016
Etogist:
Instead of palliative measure to reduce the effect of this killing economy, Buhari is adding fuel to the already raging fire. I wonder oh!

Problem is, there is no money for ''palliative measures''.

Thing is....nations that rely on selling oil, agric products, etc...are never ever rich nations. They only appear to be rich.Especially because they cannot control the price of the commodities they sell.

Nigeria better face reality. We are not a rich nation. We never were.

1 Like

Re: High Interest Rate’ll Worsen Nigerian Banks’ Woes –Fitch Ratings by 27naira(m): 10:03am On Jul 30, 2016
Truth234:

You are conversant, BOJ decision to keep policy rate unchanged was strategic move. Investors across the globe were waiting to sell the yen massively and damage whatever confidence is left in the Japanese market. Haruhiko Kuroda is very smart, he knows there is no point creating negative perception of the economy while trying to curb the yen gains in order to steam exports. So they held back, he will expand stimulus but when investors least expect.

Yen rose against all its counterpart yesterday because investors considered it a viable safe haven asset. With this move now, no foreign investor will abandon Japan, New Zealand and Aussie assets for Nigeria. These are the three most sort after safe haven assets. Nigeria MPC team needs to take into consideration global economics when making decision as big as this.

Last quarter, the US economy showed impressive growth especially in the Labour sector, which spurred investors to speculate at least 25 Bps increase in Base rate. This speculation drove up the demand for dollar denominated assets. However, Yellen took a dovish stance, given that brexit has deepened the uncertainty in the global economy, it appears less likely that any tightening will be happening anytime soon. Since a lot of investors have priced in 25Bps in US assets, analysts assumed that dollar assets appears to be overpriced and as usual investors moved liquidity to Yen, Aussie and NZ assets. Fluctuating commodity prices have had their fair share of impact on the Aussie but as it stands and given that US GDP as at yesterday performed below expectation, possibility of the fed to increase rate this year is unlikely. Yen is a safe heaven but increasing Yen value does no good to the Japanese economy. Only if our Government takes into consideration global economic outlook before making decisions, things won't get better

1 Like

Re: High Interest Rate’ll Worsen Nigerian Banks’ Woes –Fitch Ratings by Nobody: 10:03am On Jul 30, 2016
onatisi:

The budget was all wrong from the planning stage,it must have been drafted in daura,but instead of Nigerians to critically analyze it then ,they kept shouting budget of change . Now there is no way this insane government wont borrow and keep on borrowing. Fayose raised this same issue then but many didn't take him serious

http://m.guardian.ng/news/fayose-faults-fgs-plan-to-fund-2016-budget-with-n1-84tr-loan/

Well, the reason why government is funding the budget with loans is because the price of what we are selling has fallen....so we no longer had the money to fund budgets.

The era when we could afford to fund budgets with benchmarks of oil prices lower than the actual oil price has gone.

Only one thing to do....APC has to run an austerity government, with increased spending on transport, power and education....to get us being an industrial nation.It means some hard years ahead....but at the end of the day the rewards are worth it.

Or we take IMF loans that our grandkids will still be paying back.(Unless the loans are for power or transport infrastructure development).

1 Like

Re: High Interest Rate’ll Worsen Nigerian Banks’ Woes –Fitch Ratings by onatisi(m): 10:18am On Jul 30, 2016
Quakertellicus1:

Well, the reason why government is funding the budget with loans is because the price of what we are selling has fallen....so we no longer had the money to fund budgets.

The era when we could afford to fund budgets with benchmarks of oil prices lower than the actual oil price has gone.

Only one thing to do....APC has to run an austerity government, with increased spending on transport, power and education....to get us being an industrial nation.It means some hard years ahead....but at the end of the day the rewards are worth it.

Or we take IMF loans that our grandkids will still be paying back.(Unless the loans are for power or transport infrastructure development).

1 Share

Re: High Interest Rate’ll Worsen Nigerian Banks’ Woes –Fitch Ratings by dotun365: 10:19am On Jul 30, 2016
Truth234:
My post before interest rates was increased

After interest rates was increased

My new post, 20 percent inflation rate in this third quarter.
well I disagree with you. Inflation is caused by too much money chasing too few goods in the economy . How do you tackle inflation?? A) Increase the number of goods(that takes time) b) reduce the amount of money by hiking the rates (takes a shorter time lag). FDI's flow to countries with low inflation that's why inflation needs to be taken care of as soon as possible. As inflation begins to drop as a result of less money, FDI's will flow in and the exchange rate gets better for the Naira. Putting it another way, we are spending at a rate far greater than the growth rate of the economy so the CBN is trying to reduce/slow down the spending till when the economy is growing at a faster rate

1 Like

Re: High Interest Rate’ll Worsen Nigerian Banks’ Woes –Fitch Ratings by Nobody: 10:25am On Jul 30, 2016
onatisi:

Of course...the frivolous things are bad....but removing them won't make things better.

Because that does not solve the real problem....Nigeria's reliance on a commodity whose price it does not control....and as a result....we are not in control of our revenue.

(Note that I am of the opinion we should not be buying new BMW and I opposed the N5000 grants....because as I said in the post you responded to...we need to run an austerity government...with cuts everywhere...except transport...ie roads and rail....and power supply).

And in my opinion N8 trillion is not enough for Nigeria. We produce the same amount of oil, on a good day...as the United Arab Emirates. The reason why the Emirati enjoy the good life is because their population is less than 10 million. Nigeria needs a budget of N20 TRILLION and above for us to enjoy the good life.

And we won;t get there by being oil reliant.
Re: High Interest Rate’ll Worsen Nigerian Banks’ Woes –Fitch Ratings by Truth234(m): 10:34am On Jul 30, 2016
dotun365:
well I disagree with you. Inflation is caused by too much money chasing too few goods in the economy . How do you tackle inflation?? A) Increase the number of goods(that takes time) b) reduce the amount of money by hiking the rates (takes a shorter time lag). FDI's flow to countries with low inflation that's why inflation needs to be taken care of as soon as possible. As inflation begins to drop as a result of less money, FDI's will flow in and the exchange rate gets better for the Naira. Putting it another way, we are spending at a rate far greater than the growth rate of the economy so the CBN is trying to reduce/slow down the spending till when the economy is growing at a faster rate

Can't respond with that your definition. It will lead no where. This is not secondary school economics.
Re: High Interest Rate’ll Worsen Nigerian Banks’ Woes –Fitch Ratings by Truth234(m): 10:36am On Jul 30, 2016
27naira:

Last quarter, the US economy showed impressive growth especially in the Labour sector, which spurred investors to speculate at least 25 Bps increase in Base rate. This speculation drove up the demand for dollar denominated assets. However, Yellen took a dovish stance, given that brexit has deepened the uncertainty in the global economy, it appears less likely that any tightening will be happening anytime soon. Since a lot of investors have priced in 25Bps in US assets, analysts assumed that dollar assets appears to be overpriced and as usual investors moved liquidity to Yen, Aussie and NZ assets. Fluctuating commodity prices have had their fair share of impact on the Aussie but as it stands and given that US GDP as at yesterday performed below expectation, possibility of the fed to increase rate this year is unlikely. Yen is a safe heaven but increasing Yen value does no good to the Japanese economy. Only if our Government takes into consideration global economic outlook before making decisions, things won't get better

What financial markets do you trade?
Re: High Interest Rate’ll Worsen Nigerian Banks’ Woes –Fitch Ratings by grandstar(m): 12:45pm On Jul 30, 2016
Quakertellicus1:

Welcome to the reality of the Nigerian economy....prime example of a Dutch diseased economy.

When the price of what you are selling goes down, you have to take loans.

But eventually, we are going to have to face the truth that our reliance on oil is what forces us to take loans....and get off oil totally.

I disagree with your statement that Nigeria suffered from the Dutch disease. The high oil price did not dislodge other parts of the economy. The economy effortlessly absorbed the oil price increase. The country simply failed to develop other parts of the economy like Malaysia and Indonesia

1 Like

Re: High Interest Rate’ll Worsen Nigerian Banks’ Woes –Fitch Ratings by 27naira(m): 1:14pm On Jul 30, 2016
Truth234:

What financial markets do you trade?
I trade currencies and commodities ☺
Re: High Interest Rate’ll Worsen Nigerian Banks’ Woes –Fitch Ratings by dotun365: 1:26pm On Jul 30, 2016
Truth234:

Can't respond with that your definition. It will lead no where. This is not secondary school economics.
that's not a definition. Inflation is a persistent rise in the price level of goods and services. It may be caused by. Too much money chasing few goods - demand pull inflation
Re: High Interest Rate’ll Worsen Nigerian Banks’ Woes –Fitch Ratings by Truth234(m): 11:09pm On Jul 30, 2016
27naira:

I trade currencies and commodities ☺

I thought as much smiley

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

FREE LOAN: An Opportunity To Access Up To N1,000,000 Interest Free Loan facility / I Need Advice On How To Start Selling Clothes And Shoes Like Boutiques / External Reserve: Across The US$40bn Threshold, And Counting

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.