Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,146 members, 7,818,438 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 03:52 PM

Churches In Nigeria And Their Founders - Newsmath - Religion (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Churches In Nigeria And Their Founders - Newsmath (75931 Views)

Daddy Freeze Reacts To Signboard Of 4 Different Churches In The Same Building / Jude Okoye's Comment About 3 Churches In One Building (Photos) / The Role Of Churches In Solving Nigeria's Economic Challenges (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Churches In Nigeria And Their Founders - Newsmath by Nobody: 7:15pm On Jul 31, 2016
Elzends:
Catholic Church..
Founder... Jesus Christ.. 2000yrs ago
1st leader.... Saint Peter the apostle
Current leader pope Francis the 1st
Has millions of lay faithfuls all over the world
#proudlycatholic#

Muslims n Anglicans oya add ur own

It's ok to say that you are a proud Catholic but very wrong, self deceiving and ignorant to claim that Christ is the founder of Roman Catholic and going further to mention Peter as a pope. Where did you get that from?
The bible in clear terms spelt it in black and white that Peter never preached in Rome (Gentiles ) rather he was charged with the Jews and then Paul with d gentiles. Gal. 2:7-8. The last I checked your popes do not marry but healing the
mother of Peter's wife is one of the miracles of Jesus in the Gospels, namely in Matthew 8:14–15, Mark 1:29–31, and Luke 4:38–41.
Did your popes stopped marrying after Peter died cos he died a married man?.
Which Jesus if I may ask founded RC? The same the Roman empires killed? May be you should update urself with the history of ur church here is a few: The Roman Emperor Constantine established himself as the head of the church (Roman Catholic )around 313 A.D., which made this new "Christianity" the official religion of the Roman Empire. The first actual Pope in Rome was probably Leo I (440-461 A.D.), although some claim that Gregory I was the first (590-604 A.D.). This ungodly system eventually ushered in the darkest period of history known to man, properly known as the "Dark Ages" (500-1500 A.D.). Through popes, bishops, and priests, Satan ruled Europe, and Biblical Christianity became illegal.
Re: Churches In Nigeria And Their Founders - Newsmath by leofab(f): 7:19pm On Jul 31, 2016
Brymo:
Elisha prayed in ii Kings 2:14 And he took the mantle of Elijah that fell from him, and smote the waters, and said, Where is the LORD God of Elijah? and when he also had smitten the waters, they parted hither and thither: and Elisha went over. God names are specific, each with a specific function (the same God, mind you), God of Elijah for example is a God that answers by fire, i can go on and on, but these are not milk, they are solid foods not for spiritual babes and sucklings. I AM THE GOD OF ABRAHAM, ISAAC AND JACOB.
You are still in the dark... Open up your eyes and be salvated...
Re: Churches In Nigeria And Their Founders - Newsmath by Nobody: 7:31pm On Jul 31, 2016
Ondo state produced this men of God gan ni o
Re: Churches In Nigeria And Their Founders - Newsmath by Nobody: 7:36pm On Jul 31, 2016
It doesn't matter the church you attend, be it Catholic, Anglican, pentecostal, jw, c&s e.t.c, the only thing that matters is that we believe in the same God. Is not about the church you attend but are you doing the seven corporal works of mercy.
Feed the hungry.
Give drink to the thirsty.
Harbor the harborless
Clothe the naked.
Visit the sick.
Visit the prisoner and
Bury the dead.

If you're not doing any of the above, you're just a Christian but not a follower of Christ.

NL which one is unclad again ni, stop changing my words. Kikikiki
Re: Churches In Nigeria And Their Founders - Newsmath by JAWBONE(m): 7:37pm On Jul 31, 2016
caracas:

Yes u are right to say that there was no name attached to the church ,cos there was no need for that.
We had just one church scattered all over the world but they were all under the apostles with the leader been st Peter .the need to name the church arose when Martin Luther king n king Henry the viii created the Lutheran n Anglican churches respectively.Thus the name Catholic (universal)was coined out as the name of that original church.
Where was Peter made the head of the church? The original church you are talking of is definitely not the Catholic church because it's not in the Bible
Re: Churches In Nigeria And Their Founders - Newsmath by Brymo: 7:43pm On Jul 31, 2016
leofab:
You are still in the dark... Open up your eyes and be salvated...
ok ma.
Re: Churches In Nigeria And Their Founders - Newsmath by ChrisGnarly: 7:53pm On Jul 31, 2016
Joblessness started long ago in nigeri, especialy in SW nigeria (from d list) when one is Jobless or need more capital he claim that God spoke them!! How will one God speaks to all of them in, telling all of them to do a df thing?? God can only speak to us today 2ru the scripture ( the bible)
Re: Churches In Nigeria And Their Founders - Newsmath by Acepen(m): 8:34pm On Jul 31, 2016
Elzends:
Catholic Church..
#proudlycatholic#

the catholic was not founded by jesus but rather by contestine and his bishops. I know u are just an ignorant follower, but u should try and read up on the origin of the catholic church and the basis of it doctrines.
Re: Churches In Nigeria And Their Founders - Newsmath by Spongia1(m): 8:35pm On Jul 31, 2016
The judgement will start from the church.......
Re: Churches In Nigeria And Their Founders - Newsmath by Nobody: 9:38pm On Jul 31, 2016
Elzends:
Catholic Church..
#proudlycatholic#

For all the myopic ones quoting me https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_Catholic_Church

read about the eastern orthodox, coptic christians and others from multiple sources it will help you
Re: Churches In Nigeria And Their Founders - Newsmath by onedayatime(m): 9:41pm On Jul 31, 2016
walebabs3:
Religion is said to be beliefs people have in God or deities. In the world, Nigerian churches are force to reckon on religious matters.

Churches in Nigeria and their founders have, through deliverance services, evangelism, sermons, out reaches and crusades, brought liberations and solutions to many across the world. This some have adjudged to have aided the Nigerian economy.

Newsmath examines some churches in Nigeria and their founders.

These are list of some churches and their Founders. It also contains the year of establishment, founder and the current general Overseer.

1. Christ Apostolic Church

Christ Apostolic Church (CAC) is the first Aladura Pentecostal church present in Nigeria and other countries. It has come into existence in the first half of the 20th century, in the then-British empire. It was formally established in 1941 after a split from the Apostolic Church which the original Aladura organization (Faith Tabernacle) had invited to Nigeria. Its growth was led by Joseph Ayo Babalola, a road construction driver who became its founder.

♦ Born : April 25, 1904
Odo-Owa, Oke-Afa LGA Kwara State, Nigeria

♦ Died :July 26, 1959 (aged 55)
Ede, Osun State, southwestern, Nigeria

do your research very well, OP, Babalola isn't the founder of CAC. He also joined them. Do a thorough research
Re: Churches In Nigeria And Their Founders - Newsmath by onedayatime(m): 9:44pm On Jul 31, 2016
ChrisGnarly:
Joblessness started long ago in nigeri, especialy in SW nigeria (from d list) when one is Jobless or need more capital he claim that God spoke them!! How will one God speaks to all of them in, telling all of them to do a df thing?? God can only speak to us today 2ru the scripture ( the bible)
you talk like a JW
Re: Churches In Nigeria And Their Founders - Newsmath by donnie(m): 10:44pm On Jul 31, 2016
caracas:

See how u have bi n brain washed
Simple meaning u can't understand "Peter u are the rock n upon this rock I will build my church".
This was not a parable nor any figurative word it was literally spoken,cos the bible tells us that from that day Peter became the head of the apostles.
For ur info the apostles were the first members of the church.To show further that he made Peter the head Christ when he was about to suffer n die asked Peter do u love me Peter said yes then Christ said" if u love me feed my sheep n take care of my flock"

Lie No.1! Jesus Never said, "Peter you are the rock" as you deceitfully misquote scripture. He said, " You are Peter..." meaning: piece of a rock. The New Testament was originally written in Greek, not English. So go and do your Study. Peter was definitely a very senior apostle, evangelist and a great inspiration to the early church; but not the Pastor of the early church. Don't fool yourself.
Re: Churches In Nigeria And Their Founders - Newsmath by highyo: 10:50pm On Jul 31, 2016
Handsomecole:
Proudly Roman Catholic, church found by no human other than our Lord Jesus Christ himself with Apostle Peter the Ist Pope. Over 2500 years of existence with unbroken tradition with over 4 billion worshippers around every corner of the Earth.

We are Catholics we are Proud... grin
point of correction, Jesus never started any church name Catholic , it was founded by queen of heaven, the mother of the great harlot
Queen of heaven is a demon, your ignorance is killing you
Re: Churches In Nigeria And Their Founders - Newsmath by donnie(m): 10:52pm On Jul 31, 2016
caracas:

For ur info the apostles were the first members of the church.To show further that he made Peter the head Christ when he was about to suffer n die asked Peter do u love me Peter said yes then Christ said" if u love me feed my sheep n take care of my flock"

Lie No 2! The New testament church did not begin until Pentecost when all 120 disciples ( not just the apostles) were born again, filled with the Spirit and therefore became the first members.
You are the one who has been brainwashed.
Re: Churches In Nigeria And Their Founders - Newsmath by kenoz(m): 11:16pm On Jul 31, 2016
Okay
Re: Churches In Nigeria And Their Founders - Newsmath by megafox: 12:45am On Aug 01, 2016
The List is incomplete without MESSIAH'S CHURCH (Revelation Ministry).

Founded by Prophet Dr. Felix Ogbo Nkama in the Year: 1971.
this is one of the oldest indigenous churches founded in Nigeria.
This brief history of the church as captured in several National Dailies back held: Prophet Dr. Felix Ogbo who hail from Kpoghirikpo, Afikpo currently in Ebony state Whom God manifested Great miracle by raising the dead Rosalyn Eze at Uduma Ohafia in Aninnri, Enugu state.

Late Prophet Dr. Felix O. Nkama, died in 2013 at Age 82. He was never a noise maker but was sought-after by many beyond Nigeria. He was a rare philanthropist and a seasoned Human Right activist.

Messiah's Church is one of the oldest Churches founded in Nigeria, Churched Presided by Bishop Rayvic Ifeanyi (The World youngest Bishop).
Re: Churches In Nigeria And Their Founders - Newsmath by Stallione(m): 12:45am On Aug 01, 2016
Roman catholic church,was founded by jesus christ of nazareth himself in the year 2000AD.Headed firstly by st peter,(peter on this ur rock i shall build my church).Current leader pope francis.##Always proud to be born n bread in catholic church.
Re: Churches In Nigeria And Their Founders - Newsmath by Stallione(m): 12:47am On Aug 01, 2016
Roman catholic church,was founded by jesus christ of nazareth himself in the year 2000AD.Headed firstly by st peter,(peter on this ur rock i shall build my church).Current leader pope francis.With pride am hapi to be a roman catholic.
Re: Churches In Nigeria And Their Founders - Newsmath by ewosk: 6:34am On Aug 01, 2016
Handsomecole:
Proudly Roman Catholic, church found by no human other than our Lord Jesus Christ himself with Apostle Peter the Ist Pope. Over 2500 years of existence with unbroken tradition with over 4 billion worshippers around every corner of the Earth.

We are Catholics we are Proud... grin

Was Peter really a Pope

Didn't see that in my Bible

I know Apostle Peter was married according to the Bible so how come the (successor's) do not marry
Re: Churches In Nigeria And Their Founders - Newsmath by sanyajava: 8:18am On Aug 01, 2016
what about Jehovah witness, who founded it.
Re: Churches In Nigeria And Their Founders - Newsmath by jozz(m): 8:54am On Aug 01, 2016
Ekejoestar:
u av spoken according to your ignorance

what ignorance are you referring to? The fella has spoken d truth. of course church goers who are admirers and worshippers of men will feel uncomfortable with d stated fact
Re: Churches In Nigeria And Their Founders - Newsmath by Ubenedictus(m): 9:37am On Aug 01, 2016
JAWBONE:

Where was Peter made the head of the church? The original church you are talking of is definitely not the Catholic church because it's not in the Bible
matt 16:16-19 Jesus gave peter the keys of the kingdom, if u read Is 22:22 u'll see that d keys are distinguishing marks of the prime minister, whoever is given keys in d davidic kingdom is also given an office. by that single act Jesus made peter leader of the church. in jn 21:15-17 we see that Jesus gave him particularly d ministry of taking care of d church before he went to heaven. there is no church dat predate the catholic church.

1 Like

Re: Churches In Nigeria And Their Founders - Newsmath by icedstone: 9:44am On Aug 01, 2016
Elzends:
Catholic Church..
#proudlycatholic#

For all the myopic ones quoting me https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_Catholic_Church

you have spoken well.
Re: Churches In Nigeria And Their Founders - Newsmath by Ubenedictus(m): 9:45am On Aug 01, 2016
Acepen:
the catholic was not founded by jesus but rather by contestine and his bishops. I know u are just an ignorant follower, but u should try and read up on the origin of the catholic church and the basis of it doctrines.
Sorry dear, constantine didnt found any church, the catholic church was in existence long before constantine was born.
Re: Churches In Nigeria And Their Founders - Newsmath by Ubenedictus(m): 9:47am On Aug 01, 2016
TopeEmma15:

read about the eastern orthodox, coptic christians and others from multiple sources it will help you
And they all afirm that the roman church was founded by peter who was head of d apostles.
Re: Churches In Nigeria And Their Founders - Newsmath by Ubenedictus(m): 9:51am On Aug 01, 2016
donnie:

Lie No.1! Jesus Never said, "Peter you are the rock" as you deceitfully misquote scripture. He said, " You are Peter..." meaning: piece of a rock. The New Testament was originally written in Greek, not English. So go and do your Study. Peter was definitely a very senior apostle, evangelist and a great inspiration to the early church; but not the Pastor of the early church. Don't fool yourself.
And both Jesus and peter spoke aramaic, in aramaic it is 'u are cepha and upon this cepha i will build my church. so stop lying, d aramaic name paul called peter is cepha and it means rock not smal stone.
Re: Churches In Nigeria And Their Founders - Newsmath by Ubenedictus(m): 9:55am On Aug 01, 2016
ewosk:

Was Peter really a Pope

I know Apostle Peter was married according to the Bible so how come the (successor's) do not marry

His successor don't marry because after many yrs of having married clergy the church finaly agreed with paul who taught that it was better to b unmarried to be devoted to Jesus, and with Christ who taught dat many wil b celibate for d sake of d kingdom.
Re: Churches In Nigeria And Their Founders - Newsmath by cktheluckyman: 11:08am On Aug 01, 2016
TopeEmma15:

The eastern orthox and the coptic church all broke away from the catholic church in the 11th and 5th centuries respectively
Re: Churches In Nigeria And Their Founders - Newsmath by uzolexis(f): 12:55pm On Aug 01, 2016
Iyoma2:
But Catholics are now deviating from d teachings of Christ n practising pagans style of worship, idolizing every part of their worship do u think Jesus is happy with that? God said whatever we should ask in Jesus name, but Catholics ask through Mary, saint this n dat, they even made images of adorations. They always say pray for us, does it mean they can't pray themselves except they ask saint this and that to pray for them.God forgive me I am not judging them its just an observation.Isiah 42:8.

Do you ask pple to pray for you? Why do you ask them to pray for you when you can pray for yourself
Catholics don't practice pagan style of worship, yes we have relics and photos of Jesus, Mary. Saints like Saint Peter and all but these are just to keep them in our hearts, to remind us of them, do you keep photos of family friends and loved ones, why do you keep their photos How do you feel when you see these photos esp. if you have been away from them for a long time. Myself for instance have been away from my family for 3 years, anytime I miss them dearly I look at their photos, sometimes it makes me smile sometimes it makes me cry, I even kiss their photos. Does that mean I worship them?
That's the feeling we get when we look at these photos of Jesus, Mary and the saints,a feeling of love and affection. Also, remember Jesus 1st miracle in the wedding, he was not supposed to do that miracle cos he even said yo his mother Mary " my time has not yet come" but cos of the respect he has for her he did it. So when we ask Mary to pray for us,it's cos we know that Jesus listens to his mother, even we as humans, we know there are times we don't want to do something but we still go ahead and do it just cos of our mothers. Again, how would you feel if someone claims to love and respect you but does not respect your mother Remember, as Christians we are in a relationship with Christ, married to him as we like to say, how would you be married to someone and not get to know the person's mother and also give her the due respect, even Angel Gabriel honoured and respected her, when he came to give her news about the birth of Jesus, he said "hail, Mary, full of grace. The lord us with you" , no other person in the bible was greeted this way by an Angel and Elizabeth filled and prompted by the Holy Spirit said to her " you are blessed amongst all women". If God can prompt pple to honour her. Then why shouldn't we
I hope I made sense smiley smiley
Re: Churches In Nigeria And Their Founders - Newsmath by uzolexis(f): 1:03pm On Aug 01, 2016
sekundosekundo:

Jesus Christ is not the founder of Catholic and Saint Peter wasn't the first Pope, don't forget that Popes don't marry but Saint Peter was a married man. Mathew 8:14-15.

Popes used to marry until the 12th century.
Re: Churches In Nigeria And Their Founders - Newsmath by uzolexis(f): 1:08pm On Aug 01, 2016
ewosk:

Was Peter really a Pope

Popes used to marry until the 12th century.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

When You Try To Leave Church Before Offering Time (Funny Pic) / CAN Accuses Peak Milk Company Of Offensive Advert, Demands Apology / Man Sent Out Of Lagos Church For Wearing This (Photo)

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.