Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,128 members, 7,818,381 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 01:59 PM

Churches In Nigeria And Their Founders - Newsmath - Religion (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Churches In Nigeria And Their Founders - Newsmath (75921 Views)

Daddy Freeze Reacts To Signboard Of 4 Different Churches In The Same Building / Jude Okoye's Comment About 3 Churches In One Building (Photos) / The Role Of Churches In Solving Nigeria's Economic Challenges (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Churches In Nigeria And Their Founders - Newsmath by Ubenedictus(m): 8:36am On Aug 21, 2016
JMAN05:

Do u think that if there were one man rule over the whole church, that the scriptures would not say it? Rather Paul went to a meeting where James, John and Peter were to receive right hand of fellowship. Gal 2:9

This one man ruling over the universal church is never scripture. As such, any so called history that contradicts scripture is false.

If there were appointment by Peter and Paul, it would never be for any of the appointee to succeed them in a claimed rukership that does not exist.

If there is any such appointment, it would be for such an appointee to represent the apostle in handling matters in such country/congregation. Like Paul telling Titus as regards Crete (Titus 1:5) or Paul giving Timothy an assignment in some congregations. 1tim 3:1-10, 14, 15. Thats a possibility that is scriptural. There were no one man rule nor successor for any previous ruler.
Matt 16:19 tell us that there was one man put in charge of d church.
Re: Churches In Nigeria And Their Founders - Newsmath by Nobody: 12:36pm On Aug 22, 2016
Ubenedictus:
Matt 16:19 tell us that there was one man put in charge of d church.

Am yet to see ur point from that verse.
Re: Churches In Nigeria And Their Founders - Newsmath by Nobody: 1:22pm On Aug 22, 2016
Ubenedictus:
I guess u cant understand simple english. leadership in the church isnt for the most holy or even d oldest, it is for whom is chosen and given. peter was chosen not john and linus after him. he didnt need to b d most educated he was chosen. the keys were given in matt 16:19 and early xtian writings tel us who succeded peter.

And your so called leadership is ur opinion, not scripture. There is nothing in the scripture that indicates that Peter was a leader of the first century xtens. In the council that was held about circumcision, James chaired the meeting not peter. That is one.

Secondly, nothing in the scripture shows Peter was replaced by Linus. Again, it is the opinion of the so called 'early xtens', not scripture. This one man rule never existed. Your Linus was not ruling. Again, even if Peter told him to preside over anything in Rome, it will be in the sense that Paul gave Titus and Timothy assignment. Those assignments were not to rule over the whole 'church'.

Thirdly, Matt 16:19 is not talking about a key of leadership. Peter unlocked the way to heaven when he came in for the reception of holy spirit for 1) Cornelius and family 2) the Samaritans and 3) during pentacost. In these areas, he was the first to introduce the way for this persons/group. That's all. Nothing in the scriptures show that Peter will hand over the so called key to another person nor that Jesus will do so. Only the word of men is what you have.

The question is not about old age, its about giving ur so called leadership to someone who is not an apostle, when someone like John, who is among the pillars of the congregation, is still alive. And to crown it all, no person in the scripture spoke of this so called successor.

Nothing in the scripture supports this one man rule. When a case came to Jerusalem for discussion, Peter was just another contributor to the discussion, and he was not even the CHAIRMAN of the meeting., but James. When a concensus was reached and message sent to the UNIVERSAL CHURCH, see who made the decision:

Acts 16:4

4 As they traveled on through the cities, they would deliver to them for observance the decrees that had been decided on by the apostles and the elders who were in Jerusalem.

Did you get the point, how can the leader of the universal church, not be the authority to be followed here? Imagine if Jesus was there, do you think, he will only sit down, contribute his quota and then allow James to summarise or even allow the authority to be "apostles and the older men"? What then makes him a leader of the " church"?

True xtens do not have anyone except Christ, as leader. Matt 23:10 Neither be called leaders, for your Leader is one, the Christ
Re: Churches In Nigeria And Their Founders - Newsmath by Nobody: 1:27pm On Aug 22, 2016
Ubenedictus:
I guess u have an early xtian writter that say otherwise?

All I see is catholic source. Now you know. That's all.
Re: Churches In Nigeria And Their Founders - Newsmath by Ubenedictus(m): 9:25pm On Sep 07, 2016
JMAN05:

Am yet to see ur point from that verse.
HAHAHA
why am i not surprised that you see no significance in the fact that Jesus gave the keys to his kingdom to one man? it is probably because u dont care what d bible says but what u teachers told u. u cant see d point in d word of God, u somehow forgot that keys are symbols of authority and that by giving d keys of his kingdom to peter he gave him authority in his church. no wonder u dont see d point in d word of God, u have been filled with d opinions of ur teachers.
Re: Churches In Nigeria And Their Founders - Newsmath by Ubenedictus(m): 9:25pm On Sep 07, 2016
JMAN05:

All I see is catholic source. Now you know. That's all.
That is because the early xtians were catholics, even d early xtian sources are catholic.
Re: Churches In Nigeria And Their Founders - Newsmath by Nobody: 11:24am On Sep 08, 2016
Ubenedictus:
HAHAHA
why am i not surprised that you see no significance in the fact that Jesus gave the keys to his kingdom to one man? it is probably because u dont care what d bible says but what u teachers told u. u cant see d point in d word of God, u somehow forgot that keys are symbols of authority and that by giving d keys of his kingdom to peter he gave him authority in his church. no wonder u dont see d point in d word of God, u have been filled with d opinions of ur teachers.

My response above shows that the key giving to him isn't church leadership. Keys of the kingdom of the heaven, not of the church.
Re: Churches In Nigeria And Their Founders - Newsmath by Nobody: 11:27am On Sep 08, 2016
Ubenedictus:
That is because the early xtians were catholics, even d early xtian sources are catholic.

Am still wondering where u are getting that from. If what you read about sounds you RCC, think twice.
Re: Churches In Nigeria And Their Founders - Newsmath by Ubenedictus(m): 6:20pm On Sep 08, 2016
JMAN05:

My response above shows that the key giving to him isn't church leadership. Keys of the kingdom of the heaven, not of the church.
HAHAHA.
what do u understand by 'the kingdom'?
Re: Churches In Nigeria And Their Founders - Newsmath by Ubenedictus(m): 6:39pm On Sep 08, 2016
JMAN05:

Am still wondering where u are getting that from. If what you read about sounds you RCC, think twice.
I am getting it from the early xtian, they are catholic
Re: Churches In Nigeria And Their Founders - Newsmath by Ubenedictus(m): 7:03pm On Sep 08, 2016
JMAN05:

I guess u cant see it because u were taught d kingdom is still in d sky, read in context.

19 And I will give unto thee the keys of the kingdom of heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt loose on earth shall be
loosed in heaven.
the authority isnt only in heaven they keys of d kingdom of heaven covers both heaven and earth. that was d authority Jesus gave peter.

If u read Mt. 13.47-50 (Parable of the net) you will see that the kingdom of heaven isnt just in heaven it also means the present
Church- and adds that at the end, the wicked will be thrown out of the Church or kingdom, then, the
eschatological kingdom will be manifest.

so my dear the kingdom of heaven includes d church on earth and Jesus gave the keys to peter.
Re: Churches In Nigeria And Their Founders - Newsmath by EETT(m): 11:17am On Mar 19, 2022
THE FIRST AFRICAN CHURCH MISSION INC. is one of the oldest Churches in Nigeria and the FIRST INDIGENOUS CHURCH IN AFRICA. The Church was established in August 14 1891.

Kindly take note and update

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

When You Try To Leave Church Before Offering Time (Funny Pic) / CAN Accuses Peak Milk Company Of Offensive Advert, Demands Apology / Man Sent Out Of Lagos Church For Wearing This (Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.