Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,422 members, 7,815,957 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 10:09 PM

Banks Jostle For Dollar To Scale Up Foreign Loan Provisions - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Banks Jostle For Dollar To Scale Up Foreign Loan Provisions (7061 Views)

Foreign Loan: Why Can't CBN Print The $5.5bn Instead Of Borrowing? / Naira Appreciates As Demand For Dollar Gets Low / Ifeanyi Ubah: 'I Can Bring The US-Dollar To N200 In One Month' (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Banks Jostle For Dollar To Scale Up Foreign Loan Provisions by Adesiji77: 7:41am On Aug 01, 2016
Pressure as defaults, poor earnings persist

Nigerians will, from today, struggle harder for foreign exchange as banks are also looking for it, especially the United States dollar, to scale up their loan provisions.

The Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) gave August 5, 2016, as the deadline for all Deposit Money Banks (DMBs) to increase their provisioning for foreign currency-denominated loans and related exposures.

An increased loan provisioning for banks became necessary following a new foreign exchange policy that brought imbalance in earlier provisioning made on the basis of N197/$ official exchange rate.

The apex bank yesterday said the development was one of the effects of the new foreign exchange guidelines, which liberalised the market. Naira currently exchanges for more than $305 at the interbank in response to forex trade liberalisation.
Analysts say it will now be more difficult for Nigerians to secure foreign exchange as banks struggle to keep as much dollars as they can in their coffers. The possible use of naira to back up dollar demand could further weaken the local currency and escalate prices of goods and services.

Apart from being owed, two big banks have topped the list of dollar-denominated borrowers to the tune of $1.6 billion and $915 million to cover their shortfalls, according to Thomson Reuters.

The exchange, which is now above N300 per US$ increased balances on foreign currency-denominated loans and advances in the books of banks, especially facilities that had been fully provided for under the previous exchange rate regime, but were yet to be written off.

The Director of Banking Supervision, Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN), Mrs. Tokunbo Martins, who signed the circular, said: “To ensure adequate and proper provisioning, banks are by this circular, required to ensure that the non provisioned portion on all such facilities are fully provided for immediately in the income statements and evidence of the additional provisions forwarded” to her office latest Friday this week.

She added that henceforth, all foreign currency-denominated loans should be reviewed and adequate provisioning made on all delinquent ones in line with the Prudential Guidelines for Deposit Money Banks in Nigeria of July 1, 2010.

Meanwhile, pressure seems to be persisting as industry’s loan book has shown that almost half of the total is dollar-denominated debts, with uncertainty still shrouding the recovery.

The uncertainty rose further as the naira ended the week at N321.16 to the dollar at the interbank market, coupled with foreign exchange shortages.

According to Agusto & Co, Nigeria rating agency, non-performing loan will rise to 12.5 per cent of total loans by the end of the year, far from apex bank’s five per cent threshold.

Already, there are heightened expectations that more banks’ workers would be laid off, while some branches will be closed and at extreme projections, some banks are unlikely to survive the challenging times.

There are also speculations that the regulator is monitoring one or two lenders for their liquidity levels, while four medium-sized banks might need to raise capital and soon.

CBN, on the sidelines of the last Monetary Policy Committee meeting in Abuja, reiterated that the strategic health of the Nigerian banking industry remains strong notwithstanding any economic challenges.

It noted that there is no need for anybody to embark on panic withdrawals or raise concerns that any bank is in distress.
http://guardian.ng/news/banks-jostle-for-dollar-to-scale-up-foreign-loan-provisions/

1 Like

Re: Banks Jostle For Dollar To Scale Up Foreign Loan Provisions by kennyman2000(m): 8:02am On Aug 01, 2016
It's well my people

1 Like

Re: Banks Jostle For Dollar To Scale Up Foreign Loan Provisions by AleAirHub(m): 12:09pm On Aug 01, 2016
Since PMB came into power ,his policies has always been a shocking type.... Let us see the outcome within the end of his tenure.

APC CHAIN NO CHANGE INDEED
Am Not Surprise.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Banks Jostle For Dollar To Scale Up Foreign Loan Provisions by Liamm(m): 12:09pm On Aug 01, 2016
BUHARI OOOOOOOOO

4 Likes

Re: Banks Jostle For Dollar To Scale Up Foreign Loan Provisions by oshibote1: 12:09pm On Aug 01, 2016
Hmmmmmmm
Re: Banks Jostle For Dollar To Scale Up Foreign Loan Provisions by hungryboy(m): 12:10pm On Aug 01, 2016
kennyman2000:
It's well my people
oga it is not well oh,
Kerosene now don cost pass fuel oh.

2 Likes

Re: Banks Jostle For Dollar To Scale Up Foreign Loan Provisions by Kobicove(m): 12:10pm On Aug 01, 2016
Here we go again... sad

1 Like

Re: Banks Jostle For Dollar To Scale Up Foreign Loan Provisions by Pavore9: 12:11pm On Aug 01, 2016
Everyone dey look for dollar! cheesy cheesy
Re: Banks Jostle For Dollar To Scale Up Foreign Loan Provisions by holysainbj(m): 12:12pm On Aug 01, 2016
we need more news like that of tomato for #800 not this on a Monday morning

1 Like

Re: Banks Jostle For Dollar To Scale Up Foreign Loan Provisions by ayibatari99(m): 12:13pm On Aug 01, 2016
Man most chop whether they like it or not. I need to stock more Gari, coz can't survive without Eba

1 Like

Re: Banks Jostle For Dollar To Scale Up Foreign Loan Provisions by Integrityfarms(m): 12:15pm On Aug 01, 2016
I refuse to earn a zombie attack this new month!
Is there any economic direction so far?

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Banks Jostle For Dollar To Scale Up Foreign Loan Provisions by Nobody: 12:18pm On Aug 01, 2016
So far so good the policy of this Govt has not been so favourable, but I do hope in the long run the masses will enjoy the milk and honey if Nigerians.

Anyway, in another news check below for the latest on nairaland.

exercise your right as a nairalander, it's legal to do so on this forum .
Please, follow this link below and vote for FYNESTBOI
https://www.nairaland.com/3261218/mr-nairaland-contest-2016-elimination

1 Like

Re: Banks Jostle For Dollar To Scale Up Foreign Loan Provisions by Smartlife(m): 12:27pm On Aug 01, 2016
Since I was born I have been hearing Nigeria will better till now... Sometimes I play nigga raw obodo and I see that song is still reflecting what is still happening today. The question is when will Nigeria be better?. I don't think it's going to happen.

From 1960-2016 no better achievement. It's been killing, looting, stealing, hatred and greed.

Though I want online $$$ but in all its still affecting me and my family too. Buhari have finished this economy. Now I know why it's good to employ efficient hands.. Imagine a man without certificate ruling the most number of black people on earth. Tufiakwa.

7 Likes

Re: Banks Jostle For Dollar To Scale Up Foreign Loan Provisions by naijafresh: 2:36pm On Aug 01, 2016
Can someone please list the achievements of all our leaders in the past who had certificates then, especially when crude oil price was above $100.

We all complain about Buhari but we have forgotten that we have had very little credible leadership in this country since inception.
Our country is characterised by rampant corruption and insatiable individual greed. When we give the mantle to those who agitate for inclusion, they actually perform worse.

Nowhere in this country has levels of development worthy of a so called oil producing country. Even the so called south south with the extra derivation fund they fought for, what did their leaders do with it apart from share amongst themselves and their cronies.
Small oil producing states with less than 5 million people and yearly income of over $1 billion still have little to show for it but suspiciously their leaders are the wealthiest in Africa and have property literally in every continent.

As long as crude oil is below $50 a barrel and falling we are going to suffer some austere times so get used to it and stop blaming Buhari we are all to blame. Simply put, the standard of leadership you endure is the standard you accept.

1 Like

Re: Banks Jostle For Dollar To Scale Up Foreign Loan Provisions by HeavenlyBang(m): 2:41pm On Aug 01, 2016
Someone please explain what this means in terms of atm rates. Most banks are charging #350 per USD, does this mean it'll drop?
Re: Banks Jostle For Dollar To Scale Up Foreign Loan Provisions by Saintp(m): 3:12pm On Aug 01, 2016
This thread has been hours on front page yet it's having just few coments.
Ebi like sey Naija matter don dey tire people.

4 Likes

Re: Banks Jostle For Dollar To Scale Up Foreign Loan Provisions by alabashop(m): 5:41pm On Aug 01, 2016
N383/1usd today, heading to N400 by next week, but we don't back down, it's survival of the fittest and we're made of sterner stuff.

Re: Banks Jostle For Dollar To Scale Up Foreign Loan Provisions by POTUT(m): 8:25pm On Aug 01, 2016
naijafresh:
Can someone please list the achievements of all our leaders in the past who had certificates then, especially when crude oil price was above $100.

We all complain about Buhari but we have forgotten that we have not had credible leadership in this country since inception.
Our country is characterised by rampant corruption and insatiable individual greed.

Nowhere in this country has levels of development worthy of a so called oil producing country. Even the so called south south with the extra derivation fund they fought for, what did their leaders do with it apart from share amongst themselves and their cronies.

As long as crude oil is below $50 a barrel and falling we are going to suffer some austere times so get used to it and stop blaming Buhari we are all to blame. Simply put the standard of leadership you endure is the standard you accept.

Excellent opinion! However, I insist that Buhari accept his full share of the blame, for the least fact that he has been Head of State before, and for the greater part because he is the incumbent now.

There is simply no ownership in our government. Nigeria is akin to a large-bodied cow tied to a tree in the market square at the mercy of hoodlums (leaders and their clannish followers) who creep in at night, each group armed with their slaughter knives, slashing away pounds of flesh and running back home with their meat. Regardless of how much pasture surrounds that cow, it will surely buckle someday, thanks to excessive bleeding...and an absent owner to protect it from the clannish thieves and their praise singers.
Re: Banks Jostle For Dollar To Scale Up Foreign Loan Provisions by naijafresh: 8:58pm On Aug 01, 2016
POTUT:

Excellent opinion! However, I insist that Buhari accept his full share of the blame, for the least fact that he has been Head of State before, and for the greater part because he is the incumbent now.

There is simply no ownership in our government. Nigeria is akin to a large-bodied cow tied to a tree in the market square at the mercy of hoodlums (leaders and their clannish followers) who creep in at night, each group armed with their slaughter knives, slashing away pounds of flesh and running back home with their meat. Regardless of how much pasture surrounds that cow, it will surely buckle someday, thanks to excessive bleeding...and an absent owner to protect it from the clannish thieves and their praise singers.

Excellent use of prose, the beauty and blessing of Nigeria as a nation and also sadly, its downfall is in its diversity, diversity means no ownership and importantly no national pride which leads to the 'let's steal our own and leave' mentality

(1) (Reply)

How Can I Remove Heavy Starch From Clothes / Will 500K Be Enough To Start A Bet9ja Shop or do you have a better business / How Do I Register As An R&S Lotto Agent ??? Pls Help Me With The Information !!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.