Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,079 members, 7,818,233 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 10:50 AM

Photos: Ogoni Youths Protest Over Dredging Of Their River By The State Governmen - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Photos: Ogoni Youths Protest Over Dredging Of Their River By The State Governmen (1327 Views)

Amaechi, Yahaya Bello Flag Off Dredging Of River Niger Ajaokuta-Onitsha Waterway / FG To Launch Dredging Of 162km Ajaokuta-Onitsha Waterways On Friday / Aregbesola Begins Dredging Of Rasco River In Osogbo (pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Photos: Ogoni Youths Protest Over Dredging Of Their River By The State Governmen by oluwasegun400: 11:25am On Aug 02, 2016
[img]http://4.bp..com/-iL-aHX9BUTE/V6BvTXcX4SI/AAAAAAAKEcQ/LkkDzJhdXHs5_5JjmpyIl1QsZe9d-Ff7ACLcB/s1600/00.png[/img]

Some youths in Ogoni land in Khana local government area in Rivers state are currently staging a protest against plans by the state government to dredge the river in their community. According to the youths, the river is their only source of water. They allege that the state government has not done Environmental Impact Assessment.

More photos after the cut

Source:http://www.flexygist.com/2016/08/02/photos-ogoni-youths-protest-over-dredging-of-their-river-by-the-state-government/

[img]http://2.bp..com/-COkzVAMtw_A/V6BuoNTH9eI/AAAAAAAKEcI/a16NYawDILYAf9IVlDybfL7C3PTVc36xQCLcB/s1600/4.png[/img]

[img]http://2.bp..com/-qxrawxVRF6c/V6BueiWyf9I/AAAAAAAKEbk/XF0ZX7w4dasM_-39H26k0rWyCnOz0e8CQCLcB/s1600/3.png[/img]

Photo credit: Kennedy Friday

cc: lalasticlala, Mynd44

Re: Photos: Ogoni Youths Protest Over Dredging Of Their River By The State Governmen by HtwoOw: 11:28am On Aug 02, 2016
My people die because they lack wisdom

Dredging makes the river wider and prevents erosion at all cost

This is progress , but as usual my people will protest

As if there are no wells or bore holes
Re: Photos: Ogoni Youths Protest Over Dredging Of Their River By The State Governmen by mrvitalis(m): 11:37am On Aug 02, 2016
Looool this people are funny

Soon they will protest against government doing their Road for them
Re: Photos: Ogoni Youths Protest Over Dredging Of Their River By The State Governmen by Mynd44: 11:42am On Aug 02, 2016
HtwoOw:
My people die because they lack wisdom

Dredging makes the river wider and prevents erosion at all cost

This is progress , but as usual my people will protest

As if there are no wells or bore holes
But they are right you know. If that assessment is not done, the dredging might have for reaching negative impacts on them.

The government should do the assessment. It is statutory

3 Likes

Re: Photos: Ogoni Youths Protest Over Dredging Of Their River By The State Governmen by Justiyke4u: 11:43am On Aug 02, 2016
Just imagine
Re: Photos: Ogoni Youths Protest Over Dredging Of Their River By The State Governmen by Nobody: 11:45am On Aug 02, 2016
No wonder these people never see beyond their own nose. Imagine!! A project that will not only make their rivers deeper and wider, it will increase the bio diversity of the ecology as well as sustain the food chain line of the aquatic life, meaning bigger fishes and larger water creatures can find their ways into the rivers, not to mention the traffic that will come from water transport vehicles.. These people are DOD... No wonder the saying that "Knowledge is Power" easily comes to mind....
Re: Photos: Ogoni Youths Protest Over Dredging Of Their River By The State Governmen by HtwoOw: 11:50am On Aug 02, 2016
Mynd44:

But they are right you know. If that assessment is not done, the dredging might have for reaching negative impacts on them.

In your mind , you think Government would just bring dredgers to river beds and start cutting / excavating ? Standard practice is for the contractor to carry out series of surveys before even bringing any plant to site

So i disagree with you , Government is not stupid , Contractors are not stupid either because if anything happens the people have the right to sue the contractor and when it's about money , i am sure several thousands of residents would happily sign petition as such i think it's the people who need to be educated

I won't be surprised if they claim they have a river goddess in that river

Or that the river would be contaminated with crudeoil ( that can't happen unless a pipe is cracked which is why they'd survey before dredging)

Or maybe there's something hidden in that river bed

3 Likes

Re: Photos: Ogoni Youths Protest Over Dredging Of Their River By The State Governmen by Nobody: 11:54am On Aug 02, 2016
Mynd44:

I quite disagree with you sir. Remember the super highway from Cross River?Do you know the reason why such a laudable project is hanging? This same EIA. EIA is an index that tries to quantify the benefit-cost analysis of each component that make up the ecosystem. Hence, in this case the aquatic life.
The aquatic life will be the best for it I tell you sir.Come to Lagos and see what I mean. Epe, Aja, etc are just some of the places with rivers of considerable depths. EIA or no EIA sir the people will be the better for it... Except however, there is a sinister move to pollute that water way with toxic substances... That should be a very good reason for concern but no sane government or person would want to do that.
Re: Photos: Ogoni Youths Protest Over Dredging Of Their River By The State Governmen by jahsharon: 11:59am On Aug 02, 2016
Rivers State governor can you please come and help us dredge Ogun River? We shall very much appreciate it. Since your illiterate youths do not want you to dredge their river, please help us.
Re: Photos: Ogoni Youths Protest Over Dredging Of Their River By The State Governmen by josephine123: 11:59am On Aug 02, 2016
na wa ooo
Re: Photos: Ogoni Youths Protest Over Dredging Of Their River By The State Governmen by slimfit1(m): 12:02pm On Aug 02, 2016
HtwoOw:

In your mind , you think Government would just bring dredgers to river beds and start cutting / excavating ? Standard practice is for the contractor to carry out series of surveys before even bringing any plant to site

So i disagree with you , Government is not stupid , Contractors are not stupid either because if anything happens the people have the right to sue the contractor and when it's about money , i am sure several thousands of residents would happily sign petition as such i think it's the people who need to be educated

I won't be surprised if they claim they have a river goddess in that river

Or that the river would be contaminated with crudeoil ( that can't happen unless a pipe is cracked which is why they'd survey before dredging)

Or maybe there's something hidden in that river bed

The community is right. Most of them are fishermen please let the government do their research first abeg, otherwise it is innocent kids that would end up being blamed for being a witch or wizard if they can't catch any fish.
Re: Photos: Ogoni Youths Protest Over Dredging Of Their River By The State Governmen by CONFAMA: 1:43pm On Aug 02, 2016
5 percenter's and brainless protests are like this...

1 Like

Re: Photos: Ogoni Youths Protest Over Dredging Of Their River By The State Governmen by FreeGlobe(f): 1:50pm On Aug 02, 2016
This ogoni people are the most confused people on planet earth... No sense of direction. This is why they will never rule rivers state
Re: Photos: Ogoni Youths Protest Over Dredging Of Their River By The State Governmen by jlinkd78(m): 2:50pm On Aug 02, 2016
f
Re: Photos: Ogoni Youths Protest Over Dredging Of Their River By The State Governmen by stobery(m): 3:10pm On Aug 02, 2016
Magnus Abe's boys
Re: Photos: Ogoni Youths Protest Over Dredging Of Their River By The State Governmen by MadCow1: 3:13pm On Aug 02, 2016
The Government can't dredge that River without a proper two season Environmental Impact report.

The Community are right to protest.

Dredging activities can adversely affect the Ecosystem of that water body.
Re: Photos: Ogoni Youths Protest Over Dredging Of Their River By The State Governmen by xprezboy: 3:43pm On Aug 02, 2016
The government of the day is looking for a way to penetrate the ogonis.
Since the ogoni people banned oil exploration and exploitation in their Land, politicians have been looking for one thing or the order to appease the people so dt IOCs can have access to the best grade crude oil and gas deposits in ogoni land.
Dredging the river ogoni is just a way to penetrate dm.
Rivers state needs money from the gas and oil deposits in ogoni land. We say no to dredging, no to exploration, no to exploitation. no to political clean up.
Re: Photos: Ogoni Youths Protest Over Dredging Of Their River By The State Governmen by ckmayoca: 3:44pm On Aug 02, 2016
Boys need Roger or someone don Roger boys
Re: Photos: Ogoni Youths Protest Over Dredging Of Their River By The State Governmen by ogmask: 5:38pm On Aug 02, 2016
This pple display their notoriety for senselessness daily. This issue should best be channelled thru their local govt chairmen and house of assembly reps.
Re: Photos: Ogoni Youths Protest Over Dredging Of Their River By The State Governmen by ogmask: 5:49pm On Aug 02, 2016
xprezboy:
The government of the day is looking for a way to penetrate the ogonis.
Since the ogoni people banned oil exploration and exploitation in their Land, politicians have been looking for one thing or the order to appease the people so dt IOCs can have access to the best grade crude oil and gas deposits in ogoni land.
Dredging the river ogoni is just a way to penetrate dm.
Rivers state needs money from the gas and oil deposits in ogoni land. We say no to dredging, no to exploration, no to exploitation. no to political clean up.

That means yes to poverty, yes to infrastructure dearth, yes to depravity and yes to alienation.
The ogonis cannot live in isolation that is one thing you guys must understand. You have to pick your fights carefully and sensibly. You cannot fight everybody and survive in the end.
Re: Photos: Ogoni Youths Protest Over Dredging Of Their River By The State Governmen by estuary: 6:06pm On Aug 02, 2016
Environmental impact assessment (EIA) is compulsory for dredging activities in Nigeria, it is required by law. All the government need to do is to give a copy of the documents to the host community.

(1) (Reply)

Death Toll In Adamawa Herdsmen Attacks Hits 30 / Check Out How This Little Girl Welcomed President Buhari To Oshogbo / At Last Sheriff, Makarfi Sheath Sword

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.