Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,113 members, 7,814,906 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 10:49 PM

Can One Retain Plate Number After Selling Car? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Can One Retain Plate Number After Selling Car? (29381 Views)

When Does It Become Unlawful To Drive A Car Without A Registered Plate Number / Plate Number Theives: Check Your Plate Number Now / 'Witch' Number Plate In Garki Abuja {pics} (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can One Retain Plate Number After Selling Car? by yakbauer: 12:33pm On Aug 02, 2016
please I would want to know in details if I can do any of the following:
1) sell my current car without the plate number
2) use the same plate number on a new car I intend to buy
If I can achieve the above what are the steps and is it worth the struggle?
Thanks

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Can One Retain Plate Number After Selling Car? by Nobody: 7:19pm On Aug 02, 2016
yakbauer:
Thanks

1. Yes u can sell your vehicle without your no plate.
2. Yes you can equally use the no plate to register any other vehicle of yours.
@ the point of sale, you hand over all original vehicle documents to the buyer so he can process his change of ownership and re registration of already registered vehicle after which he returns your original allocation of registration no, prove of ownership certificate and vehicle license.
As soon as you're ready for your own registration, you take those documents and the no plate to the nearest mvaa station for registration of existing no plate.

Advantage: it's cheaper.

32 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Can One Retain Plate Number After Selling Car? by brunofarad(m): 6:42am On Aug 03, 2016
Am coming.

Tho

Am here to learn
Re: Can One Retain Plate Number After Selling Car? by sinorte: 6:43am On Aug 03, 2016
Yes, you can
Re: Can One Retain Plate Number After Selling Car? by Polyestar(m): 6:43am On Aug 03, 2016
The plate number is registered to your name and to the brand of vehicle you owned. But once sold, it still becomes yours but useless.

3 Likes

Re: Can One Retain Plate Number After Selling Car? by mayorjosh(m): 6:44am On Aug 03, 2016
Spreads mat
Re: Can One Retain Plate Number After Selling Car? by Nobody: 6:45am On Aug 03, 2016
No
Re: Can One Retain Plate Number After Selling Car? by akara(m): 6:46am On Aug 03, 2016
Ehm

What if the plate numbers are already engraved on the car windows, windscreen as is common. It might not be worth it.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Can One Retain Plate Number After Selling Car? by Polyestar(m): 6:46am On Aug 03, 2016
It's not really cheaper if you try to retain it. Don't let anyone deceive you.

7 Likes

Re: Can One Retain Plate Number After Selling Car? by canalily(m): 6:47am On Aug 03, 2016
Can u still make use of ur tooth after u uproot itundecided do you want to eat rice with the plate?undecided

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Can One Retain Plate Number After Selling Car? by Polyestar(m): 6:48am On Aug 03, 2016
akara:
Ehm

What if the plate numbers are already engraved on the car windows, windscreen as is common. It might not be worth it.
Very good! That's why I suggest obtaining a brand new plate number. It saves you the stress and VIO harassment.

3 Likes

Re: Can One Retain Plate Number After Selling Car? by jazinogold(m): 6:48am On Aug 03, 2016
hmm
Re: Can One Retain Plate Number After Selling Car? by herzern(m): 6:49am On Aug 03, 2016
cool
Re: Can One Retain Plate Number After Selling Car? by herzern(m): 6:49am On Aug 03, 2016
Re: Can One Retain Plate Number After Selling Car? by 042report: 6:49am On Aug 03, 2016
lolz,Too Harsh na....042report.com
Re: Can One Retain Plate Number After Selling Car? by herzern(m): 6:50am On Aug 03, 2016
kiss
Re: Can One Retain Plate Number After Selling Car? by tunde1200(m): 6:51am On Aug 03, 2016
It's expensive for the buyer to do.
Like mine bought a car from a woman when ask cost of change to my name it was 36k.
I just had to leave it.

3 Likes

Re: Can One Retain Plate Number After Selling Car? by RichDad1(m): 6:52am On Aug 03, 2016
akara:
Ehm

Good question.
When I sold my former car, I don't even bother about the plate number for the new one cos of the process.
The buyer begged me toet him have it cos it's already engraved on the car. I agreed but with sworn affidavit.
Re: Can One Retain Plate Number After Selling Car? by tunde1200(m): 6:53am On Aug 03, 2016
Polyestar:

Very good! That's why I suggest obtaining a brand new plate number. It saves you the stress and VIO harassment.

You mean new plate number to already registered vehicle.
Re: Can One Retain Plate Number After Selling Car? by Innodon(m): 6:55am On Aug 03, 2016
Ok
Re: Can One Retain Plate Number After Selling Car? by iyatrustee(f): 6:57am On Aug 03, 2016
No! The number is registered to the particular car and it can not be done twice unless of course, you go to another state other than the one of first issue. This is another issue for a later date. Our lack of a central Database!

When the new number plates came into existence ,that was the general feeling as your driver's license was attached to your documentations.

I tried to retain one fine Abuja ABC number and was told the cost of changing the information in the system would convieniently get me another one with change on top sef.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Can One Retain Plate Number After Selling Car? by HtwoOw: 6:57am On Aug 03, 2016
That was the selling point when they introduced the new number

but i doubt it's real

3 Likes

Re: Can One Retain Plate Number After Selling Car? by Feranchek(m): 7:02am On Aug 03, 2016
Nah..... ion think that'll be possible brov. I know your plate numb is sweet, buh to avoid wahala and stress, biko, just lerrit go. The plates and documents have been linked to the car, so it'll be quite a herculean task try to keep it

5 Likes

Re: Can One Retain Plate Number After Selling Car? by Polyestar(m): 7:03am On Aug 03, 2016
tunde1200:

You mean new plate number to already registered vehicle.
Yes. If you sold your car and bought a new one, it's best you get a new plate number for your new car and abandon the old one. The cost and stress expended in processing the old plate number for the new car is not worth it. It's better you register for a new plate number.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Can One Retain Plate Number After Selling Car? by anabellabul(f): 7:04am On Aug 03, 2016
Lol. Bro just let that coooooool plate number of yours go jor. I remember the stress my boyfriend went through cos I said I liked my previous number plates. At the end, but still had to settle for a new one cheesy
Re: Can One Retain Plate Number After Selling Car? by arro: 7:05am On Aug 03, 2016
Yes u can have ur plate number and re-register it with ur new car,this is from FRSC officer.

1 Like

Re: Can One Retain Plate Number After Selling Car? by Mememan: 7:10am On Aug 03, 2016
Yes nau
Re: Can One Retain Plate Number After Selling Car? by profosenogoboy: 7:20am On Aug 03, 2016
Go for the new one
Re: Can One Retain Plate Number After Selling Car? by profosenogoboy: 7:22am On Aug 03, 2016
It is better you go for new one
Re: Can One Retain Plate Number After Selling Car? by AfroKnight: 7:22am On Aug 03, 2016
So what happens to your buyer if you have already engraved the old number on the windshield and windows? Would there be transfer of ownership of number plate?
Re: Can One Retain Plate Number After Selling Car? by symbianDON(m): 7:23am On Aug 03, 2016
iyatrustee:
No! The number is registered to the particular car and it can not be done twice unless of course, you go to another state other than the one of first issue. This is another issue for a later date. Our lack of a central Database!

not really true ma. firstly, I personally sold a car 2months ago to someone with my number off because the new owner wanted a new number. today the car is registered in his name and has new number. secondly, you can not register an already registered car legally anywhere in Nigeria, whether in the state it was previously registered or in another state, without following the due process that involves authentic change of ownership etc. believe me, there's a functional database that brings up the details of the one to whom the vehicle is registered to once the number is inputted.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Can One Retain Plate Number After Selling Car? by specialadviser5: 7:28am On Aug 03, 2016
yakbauer:
Thanks
Yes, I work in licesing office. Contact me for any of your vehicle's papers

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

The Meaning Of The Coloured Lines On The Toyota Backup Camera / My Tyre Got Ruined While Speeding On The Highway / Why Toyota Camry Tiny Light Is Easily Stolen!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.