Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,012 members, 7,817,985 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 01:41 AM

Does Godly Dressing Make One Godly? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Does Godly Dressing Make One Godly? (8815 Views)

Does Not Going To Church Make One A Bad Christian? / 7 Values To Teach Our Children To Make Them Grow Into Godly Men And Women / 7 Values To Teach Our Children To Make Them Grow Into Godly Men And Women (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Does Godly Dressing Make One Godly? by Sinkills: 3:36pm On Aug 03, 2016
Some people associate godliness with adherence to certain dressing or adornment patterns. These include covering all sensitive parts of the body, putting on of shirts properly tucked in, ties and suits by men, refusal to wear shots and slabs or trousers by ladies, complete removal of ear rings, necklaces and other jewelries, avoidance of make-ups and perming of hair etc. Once a person appears this way especially ladies, the impression is that she is born again or godly. But I know that one can appear like that and yet be wicked, rude, vengeful and dirty in heart. Repentance, salvation and godliness starts from the heart. However, if one has actually encountered Christ leading to genuine conversion, doing away with adornments that are in conformity with the old life will not be a problem for such a person (Genesis 35:1-5; Exodus 33:1-6; Isaiah 3:16-26, 1st Timothy 2:9,10, 1st Peter 3:3,4). This will very hard for one who is yet to taste Calvary for salvation. There must be world of difference between a Christian and a man/woman of the world. If this is difficult for anyone to swallow, it only indicates one thing. May the Lord save us from sin, hypocrisy and worldliness in Jesus' name, Amen.

12 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Does Godly Dressing Make One Godly? by Nobody: 12:25am On Aug 04, 2016
Thanks for this post, I'm glad someone else understands this race the way it is!..physical appearance counts, not just the physical, but the inside man must be in alliance with the outside!..
If I may ask! What denomination do u worship?

8 Likes

Re: Does Godly Dressing Make One Godly? by Sinkills: 12:52pm On Aug 04, 2016
Bridgetania:
Thanks for this post, I'm glad someone else understands this race the way it is!..physical appearance counts, not just the physical, but the inside man must be in alliance with the outside!..
If I may ask! What denomination do u worship?
It is okay that you agree that my point is a balanced truth. I don't think my denomination really matters. Saying it will elicit unnecessary sentiments, not from you but from other readers. What actually matters is that I am a Christian, saved and preserved by His grace. From your response, I can deduce that you are a Christian too. May the Lord help us to stand for the truth and do His will till the end in Jesus' name, Amen.

11 Likes

Re: Does Godly Dressing Make One Godly? by promise10: 1:58pm On Aug 04, 2016
Sinkills:
It is okay that you agree that my point is a balanced truth. I don't think my denomination really matters. Saying it will elicit unnecessary sentiments, not from you but from other readers. What actually matters is that I am a Christian, saved and preserved by His grace. From your response, I can deduce that you are a Christian too. May the Lord help us to stand for the truth and do His will till the end in Jesus' name, Amen.

I am happy at your response:"...I AM SAVED AND PRESERVED BY HIS (free)GRACE". It is wonderful!

Dressing godly DOES NOT give one the imputation of God's righteousness, but the faith of christ. That's what some christians especially Deeper Life people don't understand.

We are NOT expected to dress worldly, because we were called TO DO good works.

We weren't called because we were doing good works, but so that we can do good works.

Anyone that dresses godly FOR THE SAKE(alone) of being right with God should be ready to be 100% perfect both in behaviour and character. And as such should forget about the grace of god that was shown at the cross.

It is NEVER grace + good works = eternal life as the reward. But it is by 100% grace OR 100% perfect good works.

Roman 11:6;"therefore, if it by grace, it is NO MORE by works, otherwise GRACE IS NO MORE GRACE.

Eph 2:8:"8 For by GRACE(alone) are ye saved through FAITH(alone); and that NOT of yourselves(good works): it is the GIFT of God"

The grace
of God is a free gift of God!

Romans 5:15;" But not as the offence, so also is the FREE GIFT. For if through the offence of one many be dead, much more the grace of God, and the FREE GIFT BY GRACE, which is by one man, Jesus Christ, hath abounded unto many."

For a free gift to demand your good works, then it is NO MORE a free gift(grace).

6 Likes

Re: Does Godly Dressing Make One Godly? by Nobody: 2:32pm On Aug 04, 2016
Yes,a person can dress Godly and yet possible be wicked, rude, vengeful and dirty in heart....bla bla bla.But a person who dresses ungodly is what....
Quit justifying unrighteousness sad

2 Likes

Re: Does Godly Dressing Make One Godly? by Sinkills: 3:09pm On Aug 04, 2016
promise10:

I am happy at your response:"...I AM SAVED AND PRESERVED BY HIS (free)GRACE". It is wonderful!

Dressing godly DOES NOT give one the imputation of God's righteousness, but the faith of christ. That's what some christians especially Deeper Life people don't understand.

We are NOT expected to dress worldly, because we were called TO DO good works.

We weren't called because we were doing good works, but so that we can do good works.

Anyone that dresses godly FOR THE SAKE(alone) of being right with God should be ready to be 100% perfect both in behaviour and character. And as such should forget about the grace of god that was shown at the cross.

It is NEVER grace + good works = eternal life as the reward. But it is by 100% grace OR 100% perfect good works.

Roman 11:6;"therefore, if it by grace, it is NO MORE by works, otherwise GRACE IS NO MORE GRACE.

Eph 2:8:"8 For by GRACE(alone) are ye saved through FAITH(alone); and that NOT of yourselves(good works): it is the GIFT of God"

The grace
of God is a free gift of God!

Romans 5:15;" But not as the offence, so also is the FREE GIFT. For if through the offence of one many be dead, much more the grace of God, and the FREE GIFT BY GRACE, which is by one man, Jesus Christ, hath abounded unto many."

For a free gift to demand your good works, then it is NO MORE a free gift(grace).
You are right. From my post, you will observe that I said that repentance and godliness starts from the heart (but certainly does not end there). If somebody dresses or appears well groomed but is not saved and and manifest righteousness by grace, such a one will end up in hell fire (except they genuinely repent). On the other hand, those who claim they are saved but appear and encourage worldly dressing are merely deceiving themselves because such will end up where worldly and disobedient people will end up (except they repent). And for your information, I repented in a Church that believes in both inward and outward righteousness and the Church is not Deeper Life Bible Church. Apart from that, Christian dressing did not start with Deeper Life. It is just that unfortunately some Churches that started well are now allowing worldly dressing to attract crowd. Deeper Life and a few others are still holding on to the truth they started with. I pray that those who have backslidden will come back to their first love and first faith in Jesus' name, Amen.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Does Godly Dressing Make One Godly? by Sinkills: 3:19pm On Aug 04, 2016
crusadistic:
Yes,a person can dress Godly and yet possible be wicked, rude, vengeful and dirty in heart....bla bla bla.But a person who dresses ungodly is what....
Quit justifying unrighteousness sad
You may need to read my post again. You will then realize that I did not justify worldly or ungodly dressing. Shalom!

1 Like

Re: Does Godly Dressing Make One Godly? by Sinkills: 11:14am On Aug 05, 2016
The essence of my post is for people especially Christian ladies to know that Christianity starts from within. Of course, what is inside must show outside through our words, attitudes, actions, reactions, objects in our homes, our friends, where we love going, what we delight in watching and reading as well as our dressing and appearance. Let it start from within.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Does Godly Dressing Make One Godly? by Nobody: 1:37pm On Aug 05, 2016
Jehovah created Adam and Eve without any clothes so Idk what the hell you mean by godly dressing. Man invented clothes.

10 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Does Godly Dressing Make One Godly? by promise10: 2:38pm On Aug 05, 2016
AnonyNymous:
Jehovah created Adam and Eve without any clothes so Idk what the hell you mean by godly dressing. Man invented clothes.
The need came because of sin!

So get out!!!!

3 Likes

Re: Does Godly Dressing Make One Godly? by Nobody: 2:39pm On Aug 05, 2016
promise10:

So get out!!!!
I don't know who is fighting with you grin

8 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Does Godly Dressing Make One Godly? by promise10: 2:46pm On Aug 05, 2016
Sinkills:
You are right. From my post, you will observe that I said that repentance and godliness starts from the heart (but certainly does not end there). If somebody dresses or appears well groomed but is not saved and and manifest righteousness by grace, such a one will end up in hell fire (except they genuinely repent). On the other hand, those who claim they are saved but appear and encourage worldly dressing are merely deceiving themselves because such will end up where worldly and disobedient people will end up (except they repent). And for your information, I repented in a Church that believes in both inward and outward righteousness and the Church is not Deeper Life Bible Church. Apart from that, Christian dressing did not start with Deeper Life. It is just that unfortunately some Churches that started well are now allowing worldly dressing to attract crowd. Deeper Life and a few others are still holding on to the truth they started with. I pray that those who have backslidden will come back to their first love and first faith in Jesus' name, Amen.

And the righteousness by grace is not by how good are or how good you dress, but GOD'S PERSONAL RIGHTEOUSNESS that ONLY functions on the basis of the faith of christ ALONE.

Phil 3:9;"And that I may [actually] be found and
known as in Him, NOT HAVING any [self- achieved] righteousness that can be called my own, based on my obedience to the Law’s demands (ritualistic uprightness and supposed right standing with God thus acquired), but possessing that [GENUINE righteousness] which comes through faith in Christ (the Anointed One), the [TRULY] right standing with
God, which comes from God by [SAVING] FAITH(believing)."

2 Likes

Re: Does Godly Dressing Make One Godly? by promise10: 2:49pm On Aug 05, 2016
AnonyNymous:
I don't know who is fighting with you grin
You don't have to know.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Does Godly Dressing Make One Godly? by Sinkills: 4:55pm On Aug 05, 2016
promise10:

And the righteousness by grace is not by how good are or how good you dress, but GOD'S PERSONAL RIGHTEOUSNESS that ONLY functions on the basis of the faith of christ ALONE.

known as in Him, NOT HAVING any [self- achieved] righteousness that can be called my own, based on my obedience to the Law’s demands (ritualistic uprightness and supposed right standing with God thus acquired), but possessing that [GENUINE righteousness] which comes through faith in Christ (the Anointed One), the [TRULY] right standing with

That's correct. It is not a function of how good one is or how good the person dresses. It is not by our works of righteousness or moral standing, because ours is like a filthy rag before God. If one has actually gotten the true righteousness by faith (imputed righteousness), there must be a corresponding change in in all aspects of life including attitude, behaviour, character, friendship, association, ambition, interests and dressing/appearance (as a result of imparted righteousness). God does not do a haphazard job. If the so-called righteousness by faith intentionally comes short of any of these, it cannot be from God. It is fake and is leading to elsewhere other than God's heaven.

3 Likes

Re: Does Godly Dressing Make One Godly? by Sinkills: 4:59pm On Aug 05, 2016
promise10:

That's correct. It is not a function of how good one is or how good the person dresses. It is not by our works of righteousness or moral standing, because ours is like a filthy rag before God. If one has actually gotten the true righteousness by faith (imputed righteousness), there must be a corresponding change in all aspects of life including attitude, behaviour, character, friendship, association, ambition, interests and dressing/appearance (as a result of imparted righteousness). God does not do a haphazard job. If the so-called righteousness by faith intentionally comes short of any of these, it cannot be from God. It is fake and is leading yo elsewhere other than God's heaven.
Re: Does Godly Dressing Make One Godly? by Nobody: 6:18pm On Aug 05, 2016
Do all Nigerian churches have a dress code? I've only attended one.
Re: Does Godly Dressing Make One Godly? by Sinkills: 9:38am On Aug 06, 2016
Muafrika2:
Do all Nigerian churches have a dress code? I've only attended one.
I don't think it is a matter of dress code for all churches or a particular church. It is about a born again Christian obeying the word of God in every area including covering up the sensitive parts of the body, avoiding recreating yourself as though God did not do a perfect work of creating you and not competing with the opposite sex in their attire. There must be a clear difference between a Christian and an unregenerated man or woman of the world. No real Christian should be ashamed to be different or fear the ridicule/persecution of the sinful world. Of course, a Christian should always be neat, presentable and nice looking. God bless you.

1 Like

Re: Does Godly Dressing Make One Godly? by Nobody: 10:40am On Aug 06, 2016
Yes, physical appearance matters! Your outward apperance can impact others and undervalue your godly beliefs etc.

But one can get legalistic about that too in the case of churches that institute white garment, no makeup etc...

I can dress as sexy as heck and still be godly and reserved internally. Afterall, God looks at heart strings.

Life is a fine tune and dance best done with balance.

1 Like

Re: Does Godly Dressing Make One Godly? by Sinkills: 10:19pm On Aug 06, 2016
Xiadnat:
Yes, physical appearance matters! Your outward apperance can impact others and undervalue your godly beliefs etc.

But one can get legalistic about that too in the case of churches that institute white garment, no makeup etc...

I can dress as sexy as heck and still be godly and reserved internally. Afterall, God looks at heart strings.

Life is a fine tune and dance best done with balance.
I quite agree with you on the legalism aspect. Recommending a dress code does not make one godly because it does not flow from the heart, from personal conviction. But to claim one can 'dress sexy as heck' and still be godly at heart is self deception. One, the decision to dress sexy is not borne out of the need to glorify God but to satisfy one's carnal, vainglorious self. Secondly, even if your intention is not to seduce or make people lust, you will end up doing just that and you can't tell me it is not your making. So where is the purity, discretion and holiness of the heaven seeking believer?

6 Likes

Re: Does Godly Dressing Make One Godly? by Zico5(m): 7:20am On Aug 07, 2016
If that is the case, deeper life members ought to be the best but inwardly u will know that majority of them are just putting on outward appearance while they hardly practice what they are thought. Though, our appearance should be modest before man and God but that does not indicate that putting on Godly appearance indicate holiness or Godly characters
Re: Does Godly Dressing Make One Godly? by adioolayi(m): 7:20am On Aug 07, 2016
So simple... NO! But dressing conservatively is good and modest
Re: Does Godly Dressing Make One Godly? by Nobody: 7:21am On Aug 07, 2016
Clothes you put on doesn't depicts you godly. Godliness comes from the inside of you. Your character and way of life gon show it.

2 Likes

Re: Does Godly Dressing Make One Godly? by kayo80(m): 7:22am On Aug 07, 2016
It depends. I know a lot of people that dress all covered up but have bad attitude and evil minds. I also know people like this that have pure minds. And also, people that dress exposing their body also have the good and the bad. I would say, don't expose your boobs as a girl if you want to be a good christian. Cos if you expose your boobs, you are already sinning by making others lust after you and sin in their minds, and you would also only attract those kind of men, which would make you sin in the end.

1 Like

Re: Does Godly Dressing Make One Godly? by phyllosilicate(m): 7:24am On Aug 07, 2016
Dressing Godly doesn't make one Godly, but a Godly person dresses godly. By their fruit you shall know them

3 Likes

Re: Does Godly Dressing Make One Godly? by jojothaiv(m): 7:27am On Aug 07, 2016
It doesn't makes one godly but it goes a long way....

What a day to be alive, i'm blessed!

2 Likes

Re: Does Godly Dressing Make One Godly? by sommy03(m): 7:27am On Aug 07, 2016
yes...until you show your true colour
Re: Does Godly Dressing Make One Godly? by Florblu(f): 7:27am On Aug 07, 2016
Dressing decently does not make you Godly in fact it is the highest way of deception. And not dressing decently automatically makes you ungodly cos you've left some part of the scripture unfulfilled.
Hence,dressing decently should not be seen as been spiritual but it is more of moral

2 Likes

Re: Does Godly Dressing Make One Godly? by freecocoa(f): 7:29am On Aug 07, 2016
Godly dressing my a$$.

You people keep forgetting that we all came to this world nakid, if your god cared so much about clothes, he should've created you wearing one.

1 Like

Re: Does Godly Dressing Make One Godly? by Pvin: 7:29am On Aug 07, 2016
Dress as u want to be addressed.
It is not for man to say who is Godly but God

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Does Godly Dressing Make One Godly? by sweetilicious(f): 7:31am On Aug 07, 2016
No. Even though there is a saying that states "dress as you would love to be addressed" it won't make one Godly. The heart does. How do you treat people, how do you make them feel after they had an encounter with you. That's what christ like is all about. You help people and speak no evil, plan no evil too. Dressing like a pastor won't guarantee God will bless you.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Does Godly Dressing Make One Godly? by Pavore9: 7:31am On Aug 07, 2016
This thread will make an interesting reading.
Re: Does Godly Dressing Make One Godly? by Samakus(m): 7:33am On Aug 07, 2016
promise10:

So get out!!!!

Another Buhari spotted. I hate blame game with everything in me.

One quote easily comes to mind...

"Incompetents look for excuses and who to blame, the willing and able take charge no matter how bad things are".

I chose the latter

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

The Apostolic Church, Nigeria Gets New Leaders. (pics) / Pastor Chris: Activate The Power In You / How To Present Your Body A Living Sacrifice As A Christian - Feedmejesus

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.