Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,003 members, 7,821,518 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 02:14 PM

Coca-Cola Closes The Last Concentrate Factory In Nigeria - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Coca-Cola Closes The Last Concentrate Factory In Nigeria (10992 Views)

Dangote Opens Tomato Factory In Kano To Vie With Chinese Imports / Dangote To Build Cement Factory In Adamawa, Over 10,000 Jobs To Be Created / Coca-cola Phases Out Returnable Bottles! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Coca-Cola Closes The Last Concentrate Factory In Nigeria by bilymuse: 3:40pm On Sep 21, 2009
[size=15pt]Coca-Cola closes concentrate factory [/size]
By Ayodamola Owoseye

In spite of the abundance of fruits like citrus, pineapple, mango and tomato for juice processing in the country, makers of fruit juice still depend on the importation of concentrates for their manufacturing processes.

Coca-Cola Nigeria Limited, one of the largest drink making companies, with the only concentrate supply plant in the country, has decided to shut down its factory located in Sango Otta, Ogun state and relocate it offshore.

Consequently, the company, like others, will now depend on the importation of concentrates from Swaziland for its operations.

Harsh operating environment
Coca-Cola blames the unfriendly manufacturing environment in the country for the decision. In a statement on Friday, the company explained that the Otta factory which was commissioned to manufacture concentrates for all Coca-Cola bottlers in the sub-region, had made little profits because of the high manufacturing costs.

The company said this rendered products from the country non-competitive for export to other Coca-Cola bottlers in the neighbouring West and Central African countries.

The company added that the development made the plant’s operations unsustainable in the light of the current global economic realities since it had been producing for the Nigerian market alone.

Manufacturers react

Bashir Borodo, the President, Manufacturers Association of Nigeria (MAN) told NEXT in a telephone interview that it was sad that Coca-Cola is planning to relocate the only concentrate factory due to the unfriendly business environment in the country.

“It is sad and we will keep hearing such bad news if the government does not act fast in restoring the power sector. Instead of companies to be moving in they are moving out .This will definitely affect the work force because more people will be losing their jobs as the companies move out,” he said.

Mr Borodo noted that the prevailing environment is not suitable for manufacturing as this affects production costs, which in turn hampers effective competition with goods from other world markets.

In the last nine years, he said, “about 820 companies have closed shops with most of them relocating to the neighboring countries. Some of those remaining in the country have also diversified most of their production unit to those countries making the nation more of a consumer nation than a manufacturing one.”

Mr. Borodo argued that the Coca-Cola case is pathetic, as relocating the concentrate factory out of the country will mean the company going back to importing the item for its drinks, especially as Nigeria is one of the biggest markets for Coca-Cola in Africa.

Effort to revive the drink company
The beverage manufacturing sub-sector had depended on the importation of fruit juices and wines sold in the Nigerian market until 2002, when former President Olusegun Obasanjo’s government placed a ban on it.

Apart from that, the government also lowered the tariff on concentrate to five per cent, to encourage local manufacturers take advantage of the highly lucrative industry to enhance the production of juice and wines in the country and discourage importation.

Most beverage manufacturers currently in operation started during this period, but with the bulk of the concentrates imported from the U.S., the Netherlands and other foreign countries.

A report from the U.S. department of agriculture shows that Nigeria is a huge market for U.S. exporters of fruit concentrates and despite 60 per cent growth in the industry in the last five years, use of concentrate increased from 1.5 million kilogrammes in 2002, to about 30 million kg in 2007.

http://234next.com/csp/cms/sites/Next/Money/Business/5461511-146/story.csp
Re: Coca-Cola Closes The Last Concentrate Factory In Nigeria by Kobojunkie: 3:42pm On Sep 21, 2009
OH NO!! shocked
Re: Coca-Cola Closes The Last Concentrate Factory In Nigeria by blackspade(m): 5:01pm On Sep 21, 2009
Expect a price hike until they relocate to Ghana where manufacturing costs (and risks) are lower.
Re: Coca-Cola Closes The Last Concentrate Factory In Nigeria by candylips(m): 5:03pm On Sep 21, 2009
another company closes down
Re: Coca-Cola Closes The Last Concentrate Factory In Nigeria by JosBoy4Lif(m): 5:09pm On Sep 21, 2009
Does this mean I will have to pay more naira for a bottle of coke?
If not I don't give a damn shit, except for the fact innocent people may lose their lively hood.

Thank you Nigeria for providing us with a steady source of electricity and pipe born water undecided
Re: Coca-Cola Closes The Last Concentrate Factory In Nigeria by bawomolo(m): 5:36pm On Sep 21, 2009
AjaraEwuro:

Poster - 820 companies in 9 years! whats your point? or 820 companies in a day? Your title is extremely mis leading and irrelivant to the content of the story you copied and pasted.

you are mister patriotic aren't you?
Re: Coca-Cola Closes The Last Concentrate Factory In Nigeria by Epiphany(m): 5:51pm On Sep 21, 2009
JosBoy4Lif:

If not I don't give a damn shit, except for the fact innocent people may lose their lively hood.

Thank you Nigeria for providing us with a steady source of electricity and pipe born water undecided

grin
Your statement is dripping with so much sarcasm

But yes, your fears are real and true. Its either you will have to pay more for a bottle of coke, or the standard will drop - eventually!
Re: Coca-Cola Closes The Last Concentrate Factory In Nigeria by kabola2009(m): 5:52pm On Sep 21, 2009
the mighty is falling gradually.
Re: Coca-Cola Closes The Last Concentrate Factory In Nigeria by Nobody: 6:18pm On Sep 21, 2009
Uhm.
Re: Coca-Cola Closes The Last Concentrate Factory In Nigeria by Nobody: 6:18pm On Sep 21, 2009
Uhm.
Re: Coca-Cola Closes The Last Concentrate Factory In Nigeria by JosBoy4Lif(m): 6:31pm On Sep 21, 2009
@ Bawo, u nor dey patriotic bros?

@ Epiphany, without sarcasm the world would be a pretty dry place; don't you think?
Plus i was trying to proffer solutions to the madness that is crippling our manufacturing industry in a decoded format tongue
Re: Coca-Cola Closes The Last Concentrate Factory In Nigeria by OvieE: 6:35pm On Sep 21, 2009
Soon oil companies will have their say as well. Nigeria is in deep hole.
Re: Coca-Cola Closes The Last Concentrate Factory In Nigeria by posakosa(m): 6:37pm On Sep 21, 2009
JosBoy4Lif:

I love sarcasm, grin grin grin
Re: Coca-Cola Closes The Last Concentrate Factory In Nigeria by posakosa(m): 6:37pm On Sep 21, 2009
Not to worry though, Pepsi might move in.
Re: Coca-Cola Closes The Last Concentrate Factory In Nigeria by semid4lyfe(m): 6:40pm On Sep 21, 2009
Why am I not surprised by this news at all?
Re: Coca-Cola Closes The Last Concentrate Factory In Nigeria by SEFAGO(m): 6:55pm On Sep 21, 2009
man what is wrong with naija, but maybe it has other implications, some other drink could penetrate the naija market.
Re: Coca-Cola Closes The Last Concentrate Factory In Nigeria by murphy02(m): 6:56pm On Sep 21, 2009
May ALMIGTHY ALLAH forgive us in this country, shower his Blessing upon us (AMIN) cos this country is not getting any better, we are only retrogressing, our leaders should wake up and stop stealing our money, in terms of football we are not there, our int image is very bad GOD PLS HELP US
Re: Coca-Cola Closes The Last Concentrate Factory In Nigeria by dapsycool(m): 7:09pm On Sep 21, 2009
Nigeria ti run down, mo wale ti grin grin grin grin
Re: Coca-Cola Closes The Last Concentrate Factory In Nigeria by solaONI: 7:24pm On Sep 21, 2009
9ja dey run down by the second and some silly individual keep boasting of rebranding.
arable land wastes day by day, NIHORT is not properly funded etc etc. We need to get it right b4 it's too late.
Re: Coca-Cola Closes The Last Concentrate Factory In Nigeria by JosBoy4Lif(m): 7:32pm On Sep 21, 2009
OvieE:

Soon oil companies will have their say as well. Nigeria is in deep hole.

You get an F9 on that prediction
Re: Coca-Cola Closes The Last Concentrate Factory In Nigeria by Nobody: 7:35pm On Sep 21, 2009
haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa shocked aiye oooo!!

haaaaa, government ti balu je

what? Coca-cola close factory down? damn!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nigeria needs emergency bail out - Electricity!
Re: Coca-Cola Closes The Last Concentrate Factory In Nigeria by uwak29: 8:44pm On Sep 21, 2009
thanks
Re: Coca-Cola Closes The Last Concentrate Factory In Nigeria by xqwysyte(f): 9:09pm On Sep 21, 2009
shocked

Coca-Cola shutting down in Nigeria? Is bottle of coke going to increase from 60 to 100 naira now? angry
Re: Coca-Cola Closes The Last Concentrate Factory In Nigeria by Builder: 9:22pm On Sep 21, 2009
Maybe this is the re-branding Nigeria needs
Re: Coca-Cola Closes The Last Concentrate Factory In Nigeria by dinggle: 9:34pm On Sep 21, 2009
Where are the idiagbons in the Army?, pls come save this country oh!!!
Re: Coca-Cola Closes The Last Concentrate Factory In Nigeria by Nobody: 9:39pm On Sep 21, 2009
Lol! This is moving too slow! More companies should get out of our dear country Nigeria so we can finally start murdering those motherfucking politicians!
I'm sharpening ma machetes right now. . . Na only Fashola i go spear.

E ti ba ilu je!!! Aye yi ma baje ni! Gbogbo yin la maa pa!!! angry grin
Re: Coca-Cola Closes The Last Concentrate Factory In Nigeria by nasuite: 9:42pm On Sep 21, 2009
na wa oooh.i no go surprise if FG relomove from abuja go cotonou 4 d ineptitude of NEPA cum PHCN and themselves.i no blame cocacola my guyz.dis wan wey al man sef wan relocate.i no go mind visa enter cotonou if dem go giv m kia kia.wat a govt? angry shocked sad wink
Re: Coca-Cola Closes The Last Concentrate Factory In Nigeria by seyibobo(m): 9:56pm On Sep 21, 2009
Rebranding lol!
Re: Coca-Cola Closes The Last Concentrate Factory In Nigeria by seyibobo(m): 10:04pm On Sep 21, 2009
Rebranding lol!
Re: Coca-Cola Closes The Last Concentrate Factory In Nigeria by OvieE: 10:29pm On Sep 21, 2009
jassie:

Lol! This is moving too slow! More companies should get out of our dear country Nigeria so we can finally start murdering those motherfucking politicians!
I'm sharpening ma machetes right now. . . Na only Fashola i go spear.

E ti ba ilu je!!! Aye yi ma baje ni! Gbogbo yin la maa pa!!! angry grin

you really made me laugh.
Re: Coca-Cola Closes The Last Concentrate Factory In Nigeria by scarphase(m): 10:36pm On Sep 21, 2009
signs of a failed nation, do we av a president?da naija delta millitants shld av killed those  politicians who steal our money and stash dem in some account, why cant we just do somfin rite in naija?so sickening and crazy, i try not to fink about it, we run on generator 24/7 wen da whole world is cutting down dependence on fuel cos of emmisions, abeg make dem sell naija to foreign leaders cos dos we av are failures!!
Re: Coca-Cola Closes The Last Concentrate Factory In Nigeria by oge4real(f): 10:39pm On Sep 21, 2009
Shame on our leaders! they are not even showing signs of remorse.
All Yaragoat knows is to travel to Saudi to open a new University for them while ALL the ones he has are not functioning!
Everybody will start drining sachet water now because we can no longer vouch for  what our dear Nigerian Bottling company will be packaging for us.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Get Your Business Plan On Small Scale Soyabean Processing Factory And Business / Food Business Ideas That Are Profitable Which You Can Start-up In Nigeria / Nigeria Is Trying To Develop Without Industrializing

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.