Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,008 members, 7,821,534 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 02:27 PM

Why Do Civil Servants Expect Kickbacks For Doing Their Normal Jobs? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Why Do Civil Servants Expect Kickbacks For Doing Their Normal Jobs? (8216 Views)

Benue, Kogi, Plateau Pay Civil Servants High Despite Poor Revenue / FG Slashes Civil Servants' Salaries Weeks Before Christmas Pix / FG Slashes November Salaries, Civil Servants Cry Out (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do Civil Servants Expect Kickbacks For Doing Their Normal Jobs? by ItuExchange(m): 1:08am On Aug 08, 2016
I’m tired of these so-called civil servants in all public offices: local, state and federal levels.

When they perform their normal duties, which they’re being paid for, and for which they’re employed, they still expect helpless citizens to give them tips, gifts, and kickbacks. Why?

If you got to tax office to perform your duty as a loyal Nigerian, the officials there would be looking forward to get something extra from you, for doing what’s normally required of them. The same is true of passport offices, driver’s license offices, marriage registries, plus other agencies. Some, like marriage registries, even standardize this illegal things to the extent that, you can’t get anything official done through them, unless they get what they want. Why?

You pay money for services from civil servants, and they expect you to give something on top of the payment. In most cases, what you give on top of the payment is more than the official fees?

If you don’t do this, your case/matter gets buried or you’re frustrated with “Come tomorrow, and come tomorrow again.”

If their salary can’t sustain them, why can’t they resign? What’s their job, and why are they employed in the first place? Are they doing favor to the public by performing their required responsibilities?

And these are the people that point accusing fingers at politicians.

Why are we so warped in mind in Nigeria? What’s wrong with us?

- Contributed

58 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Why Do Civil Servants Expect Kickbacks For Doing Their Normal Jobs? by Nobody: 5:49am On Aug 08, 2016
Just call it bribery, kickback sounds like an euphemism.

25 Likes

Re: Why Do Civil Servants Expect Kickbacks For Doing Their Normal Jobs? by eleojo23: 5:50am On Aug 08, 2016
It's pure greed.
And they continue to do it because people have allowed it.
Imagine your friend telling you 'abeg settle them so that we can get it done fast'
So you see? It is now accepted as the norm.

Until everyone resolves not to give in to these demands for tips and kickbacks, it is going to continue and those who refuse to give will always be at some disadvantage.

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Civil Servants Expect Kickbacks For Doing Their Normal Jobs? by Nobody: 5:50am On Aug 08, 2016
because PlayStation 4 is the father of Microsoft and is WACE headmaster, mosquito and spiderman are licking my milk and bonvita while superman and batman are busy forecasting bet9ja. Osogbo weed mixed with groundnut oil is very nice on kickass badoo.. Jose morinho na Wace landlord and em Nairaland password is Snake

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Civil Servants Expect Kickbacks For Doing Their Normal Jobs? by Dabigbroda(m): 5:50am On Aug 08, 2016
ItuExchange:
[s]I’m tired of these so-called civil servants in all public offices: local, state and federal levels.
When they perform their normal duties, which they’re being paid for, and for which they’re employed, they still expect helpless citizens to give them tips, gifts, and kickbacks. Why?
If you got to tax office to perform your duty as a loyal Nigerian, the officials there would be looking forward to get something extra from you, for doing what’s normally required of them. The same is true of passport offices, driver’s license offices, marriage registries, plus other agencies. Some, like marriage registries, even standardize this illegal things to the extent that, you can’t get anything official done through them, unless they get what they want. Why?
You pay money for services from civil servants, and they expect you to give something on top of the payment. In most cases, what you give on top of the payment is more than the official fees?
If you don’t do this, your case/matter gets buried or you’re frustrated with “Come tomorrow, and come tomorrow again.”
If their salary can’t sustain them, why can’t they resign? What’s their job, and why are they employed in the first place? Are they doing favor to the public by performing their required responsibilities?
And these are the people that point accusing fingers at politicians.
Why are we so warped in mind in Nigeria? What’s wrong with us?
[/s]
- Contributed

@OP, first of all don't generalise. You sound so frustrated, if you were not lucky to come in contact with the good ones stop using a blanket description. Some civil servants are corrupt, but stop making it look like good ones are not in the service...

I can bet the op that at a point in time he came in contact with the good civil servants, but because nothing was demanded from him he could not acknowledge that. Now that he will part with some cash it is now a national problem.....

The last time I checked, agencies like ICPC and public complains Commission are still working...

16 Likes

Re: Why Do Civil Servants Expect Kickbacks For Doing Their Normal Jobs? by kindnyce(m): 5:51am On Aug 08, 2016
ITS CALLED THE NIGERIAN FACTOR..
ITS ON RECORD THAT THE CIVIL SERVICE IS ONE OF THE MOST CORRUPT ORGAN OF GOVT IN NIGERIA...

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Civil Servants Expect Kickbacks For Doing Their Normal Jobs? by chimah3(m): 5:53am On Aug 08, 2016
Laziness!!!

1 Like

Re: Why Do Civil Servants Expect Kickbacks For Doing Their Normal Jobs? by jesse8048(m): 5:53am On Aug 08, 2016
I think it's because CORRUPTION seems to be in the gene of any Nigeria. Once they are in position to, they manifest it immediately.

9 Likes

Re: Why Do Civil Servants Expect Kickbacks For Doing Their Normal Jobs? by Shome36(m): 5:56am On Aug 08, 2016
That's really serious i swear. it's quite annoying.
Wailers will say na Buhari caused ham
Yan-bura-uba

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Civil Servants Expect Kickbacks For Doing Their Normal Jobs? by eleojo23: 5:56am On Aug 08, 2016
Ezechinwa:
because PlayStation 4 is the father of Microsoft and is wace headmaster, mosquito and spiderman are licking my milk and bonvita.. Osogbo weed mixed with groundnut oil is very nice on kickass badoo.. Nairaland password is Snake

This one is sleep-typing.

9 Likes

Re: Why Do Civil Servants Expect Kickbacks For Doing Their Normal Jobs? by Dilidee(m): 5:57am On Aug 08, 2016
Its like a norm in this our country home #egunje grin
Re: Why Do Civil Servants Expect Kickbacks For Doing Their Normal Jobs? by Nobody: 5:59am On Aug 08, 2016
Thats why When people entirely blame leaders for our state of affairs I just laugh
When even some people scam their own family members, talk less of strangers you meet in the establishments
Corruption has eaten deeper than one can ever imagine
Who are the leaders? Me and you!
If the clerk asking for bribe before he can get your file becomes a local chairman, what will we expect apart from corruption and siphoning of funds meant for the people?

14 Likes

Re: Why Do Civil Servants Expect Kickbacks For Doing Their Normal Jobs? by benarex(m): 6:04am On Aug 08, 2016
That tells us that corruption in Nigeria is more than what we think. It's everywhere and untill we change our orientation (only if it's possible) that's what we shall be getting. And I laugh each time I hear that one man is here to kill corruption.

8 Likes

Re: Why Do Civil Servants Expect Kickbacks For Doing Their Normal Jobs? by GMBuhari: 6:05am On Aug 08, 2016
That's why i voted Buhari

To Eradicate corruption

As awkward as it may sound , Nigerians thrive , live happily on corruption

And we are feeling the pain because all those kickbacks are harder to get

When SERVICOM takes bribe , what do you expect from other parastatals ?

Just saying Corruption and greed is why anyone would expect kickbacks , and of course there's no motivation from government , in other saner climes, even if it's not monetary compensation , people get recommendations , awards and recognitions for works well done

if that was in place, maybe Quality of service will have improved

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Civil Servants Expect Kickbacks For Doing Their Normal Jobs? by free2ryhme: 6:05am On Aug 08, 2016
The civil service is corrupt

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Civil Servants Expect Kickbacks For Doing Their Normal Jobs? by Realmcfynest: 6:06am On Aug 08, 2016
Civil service is a scam
Re: Why Do Civil Servants Expect Kickbacks For Doing Their Normal Jobs? by floma07(m): 6:06am On Aug 08, 2016
Don't mind them jor. It's very annoying to see our civil servants conducting themselves in such manners. I hate it even more when an academic staff threatened to hide your file just to frustrate your graduation. Guy i be student oooh shioo

7 Likes

Re: Why Do Civil Servants Expect Kickbacks For Doing Their Normal Jobs? by igahdavid(m): 6:12am On Aug 08, 2016
ayoolanr:
Just call it bribery, kickback sounds like an euphemism.

And CORRUPTION

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Civil Servants Expect Kickbacks For Doing Their Normal Jobs? by Nobody: 6:14am On Aug 08, 2016
eleojo23:

This one is sleep-typing.

He is high as fvck!!!! Let's hope he makes it back from that journey.....all the mad people you see on the streets never made it back!!!!

1 Like

Re: Why Do Civil Servants Expect Kickbacks For Doing Their Normal Jobs? by djlaqua91(m): 6:18am On Aug 08, 2016
Customs and Immigration are the worst scammers of them all.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Civil Servants Expect Kickbacks For Doing Their Normal Jobs? by oakcha(m): 6:23am On Aug 08, 2016
because they are civil servants
Re: Why Do Civil Servants Expect Kickbacks For Doing Their Normal Jobs? by echelons(m): 6:24am On Aug 08, 2016
Not just civil servants. All institutions that have lose monitoring and control.
There's this conoil filling station at Area 1 Round About in Abuja, anytime you want buy fuel in kegs for generator, the attendants always insists that you'll give them additional money from N150 if not they won't sell to you. They will even tell you to go and meet their manager.
It's sad because that's how businesses die without the owners knowing it. Employees killing business because of greed.

6 Likes

Re: Why Do Civil Servants Expect Kickbacks For Doing Their Normal Jobs? by Onegai(f): 6:26am On Aug 08, 2016
99% of Nigerians are corrupt. Which is why it is futile to insult your politicians: those guys are not aliens, they passed through the system.

The mind-boggling part is when you hear some civil servant who has just collected a bribe to do his/her job or inflated a procurement bill or demanded a kickback, complain about the problems in Nigeria and how Govt is bad. I'm like "WT ...."

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Do Civil Servants Expect Kickbacks For Doing Their Normal Jobs? by moses93(m): 6:29am On Aug 08, 2016
Hmmm
Re: Why Do Civil Servants Expect Kickbacks For Doing Their Normal Jobs? by davodguy: 6:30am On Aug 08, 2016
Corruption has eaten deep into or body, spirit and soul.

I'll narrate my personal experiences in all sectors

CAR WASH
The guys at the car wash centre, where i clean my car expects that after paying the normal N500 for basic wash, you have to give them money, upon completion of the service you've paid. It got worse last week, when I drove into the centre. About 5 guys who were doing nothing refused to was my car and I stood for minutes and later complained to the supervisor. The guys said I'm one of those customers that do not 'settle' them after washing. I caused a scene last week and other customers who are victims of this evil act also joined me

GOVERNOR'S OFFICE
Went to governor's office to drop a mail. A civil servant who gets paid monthly, for working at the governor's office mail room, told me my letter would not be dropped to the assistant of the governor except i give him N10,000. This happened in April, 2016. I transferred N5000 to his account. He told me to come the next day to get the Feedback. Behold, I got the feedback after paying.

PHYSICAL PLANNING
They did their Job last year on a development approval request I submitted. They're civil servants and do get paid monthly. yet after getting me the approval, they requested for service charge.

SECURITY PERSONNEL AT BANKS

You go to the bank on Sunday, to use ATM. Security personnel become over zealously nice to you. Start hailing you and ushering you to your car. As you are about to leave, 'oga anything for the boys' I was like anything like what? Slaps or punches? What have you done other than the job you get paid for? I didn't soliciting for extra curriculum services.

This corruption thing has eaten deep into our system and can never go easily, save some spiritual cleansing

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Civil Servants Expect Kickbacks For Doing Their Normal Jobs? by davodguy: 6:31am On Aug 08, 2016
Onegai:
99% of Nigerians are corrupt. Which is why it is futile to insult your politicians: those guys are not aliens, they passed through the system.

The mind-boggling part is when you hear some civil servant who has just collected a bribe to do his/her job or inflated a procurement bill or demanded a kickback, complain about the problems in Nigeria and how Govt is bad. I'm like "WT ...."

Youre very right

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Civil Servants Expect Kickbacks For Doing Their Normal Jobs? by thunder74(m): 6:32am On Aug 08, 2016
That is the headquarters of corruption. That is the place Buhari should start the corruption war. They are the oil for smooth running and operations of corrupt practices.
Re: Why Do Civil Servants Expect Kickbacks For Doing Their Normal Jobs? by Airforce1(m): 6:36am On Aug 08, 2016
Hhm

1 Like

Re: Why Do Civil Servants Expect Kickbacks For Doing Their Normal Jobs? by NairaMaster1(m): 6:40am On Aug 08, 2016
Because salary alone is not enough. But ask the civil servants close to your areas for clarification
Re: Why Do Civil Servants Expect Kickbacks For Doing Their Normal Jobs? by Nobody: 6:40am On Aug 08, 2016
Hmmm, I have nothing to say

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Beneficiaries Of 2014 Nigerian Civil Defense Promotion Still Receiving Old Pay / Career Switch Dilemma / After Apprenticeship, What Next?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.