Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,231 members, 7,818,781 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 02:58 AM

Time Travel, Existence, God, & Science. . . - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Time Travel, Existence, God, & Science. . . (2954 Views)

Poll: Do you believe its possible to travel back in Time?

No! Nonsense!: 35% (5 votes)
Yes. . .: 35% (5 votes)
Maybe: 28% (4 votes)
This poll has ended

How Black Man Came Into Existence / A Story About God Existence Especially For Atheists.....must Read! / Purpose Of Human Existence? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Time Travel, Existence, God, & Science. . . by noetic2: 8:47pm On Sep 23, 2009
huxley:

Are you serious? Shall we do a 20-20 questions marathon? You set 20 questions for me and I do the same for you? Shall we do this?

open a thread and post ur 20 questions. . . .
Re: Time Travel, Existence, God, & Science. . . by huxley(m): 9:20pm On Sep 23, 2009
noetic2:

open a thread and post your 20 questions. . . .

Are you also gonna post 20 questions?
Re: Time Travel, Existence, God, & Science. . . by huxley(m): 9:40pm On Sep 23, 2009
noetic2:

open a thread and post your 20 questions. . . .

Are you gonna post 20 questions also? YES or NO? What are you scared about? These will be really easy questions. Why are you afraid?
Re: Time Travel, Existence, God, & Science. . . by Nobody: 9:41pm On Sep 23, 2009
huxley:

Are you gonna post 20 questions also? YES or NO? What are you scared about? These will be really easy questions. Why are you afraid?

he's offline . . . are you blind? grin
Re: Time Travel, Existence, God, & Science. . . by huxley(m): 9:46pm On Sep 23, 2009
davidylan:

He has had many chances to respond but he keeps evading. What do you think he is likely to do? I can say now that he will never agree to post his own questions. All I want for him to say is YES (that he will post his 20 questions), then I shall post mine.

If he does not eventually post his, then I shall gloat in calling him a liar and dishonourable. He knows that, that is why he is having cold feet. But all this can be avert by a simple YES from him and by sticking to his word, as GOOD christians should always do.
Re: Time Travel, Existence, God, & Science. . . by huxley(m): 9:51pm On Sep 23, 2009
davidylan:

David,

How would you like to do a 20-20 questions marathon with me? I am sure you would enjoy it, C'mon.
Re: Time Travel, Existence, God, & Science. . . by Nobody: 10:09pm On Sep 23, 2009
huxley:

David,

How would you like to do a 20-20 questions marathon with me? I am sure you would enjoy it, C'mon.

If i had time to waste i would have considered it.
Re: Time Travel, Existence, God, & Science. . . by huxley(m): 10:15pm On Sep 23, 2009
davidylan:

If i had time to waste i would have considered it.

Just what I expected to see.
Re: Time Travel, Existence, God, & Science. . . by Nobody: 10:21pm On Sep 23, 2009
huxley:

Just what I expected to see.

you're being hypocritical, look through earlier threads . . . i've tackled way too many of your ridiculous assertions. At some point one is allowed to assume expending so much energy trying to answer your "questions" are nothing but an exercise in futility. I have a life to live, it does not revolve around pandering to your delusions.

but of course you can go ahead painting false pictures.
Re: Time Travel, Existence, God, & Science. . . by RiffRaff: 12:29am On Sep 24, 2009
@ david
impossible is Nothing.
@ poster
the last i read about time travel is michael chrichton's Timeline. For now, it is stil a future project.
Re: Time Travel, Existence, God, & Science. . . by Nobody: 1:12am On Sep 24, 2009
Riff-Raff:

@ david
impossible is Nothing.
@ poster
the last i read about time travel is michael chrichton's Timeline. For now, it is stil a future project.

for now time travel is fiction.
Re: Time Travel, Existence, God, & Science. . . by Nobody: 1:13am On Sep 24, 2009
Its funny though how there are 3 (out of 5) votes for maybe. I wonder if the question had been framed as "does God exist" whether we would have gotten up to 10% of the vote.

Its easier to believe in time travel than that God exists. You begin to wonder if all these desperation to explain away the existence of God is really due to a rigorous search for knowledge or the inherent fallen nature of man to rebel against God.
Re: Time Travel, Existence, God, & Science. . . by bawomolo(m): 1:51am On Sep 24, 2009
are you saying everyone at one some point rebelled against God if it's inherent?
Re: Time Travel, Existence, God, & Science. . . by Nobody: 1:54am On Sep 24, 2009
bawomolo:

are you saying everyone at one some point rebelled against God if it's inherent?

The adamic nature by itself is in rebellion with God.
Re: Time Travel, Existence, God, & Science. . . by Tudor6(f): 6:22am On Sep 24, 2009
Are you talking about the mythical Adam that never existed?
Re: Time Travel, Existence, God, & Science. . . by mantraa: 9:29am On Sep 24, 2009
According to Albert Einstein theory of relativity, time travel is not possible because the theory of Relativity makes travel at a speed greater than light impossible.

This has been found to be true so far according to particle accelerators on earth. However there are places in this universe were objects are known to be moving at faster than the speed of light. When an object enters a black hole its speed increases to faster than the speed of light, which is why its called a black hole of course.
Gravity is a force that can move matter faster than the speed of light and when we discover and can measure gravitational waves it will go a long way in helping us understand the relationship between gravity and space/time. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gravitational_wave

Huge space based laser interferometers are being developed which can detect and help us understand this most common but very weak force. It could be similar to the breakthrough when michael farraday discovered the relationship between electricty and magnetism and all the associated equations leading to the devolopment of the electric motor, cathode ray tubes, etc etc.
For instance; we know it takes eight minutes(time) for light from the sun to travel the distance(space) to reach earth at the speed of light(c). Theoretically, it should be possible to transpose the equation. If you change the distance to 1m it may be possible to travel eight minutes in time at the speed of light. If we could understand and recreate the gravitaional forces at work in the centre of a black hole, just as it is possible to create magnetic forces using an electromagnet then maybe we can create an environment (a wormhole) where an object can travel back in time at the speed of light but stay in the same place.

Never say never wink
Re: Time Travel, Existence, God, & Science. . . by Allta(m): 1:14pm On Sep 24, 2009
apologies for posts duplicates, check original post below:
Re: Time Travel, Existence, God, & Science. . . by Allta(m): 1:18pm On Sep 24, 2009
apologies for posts duplicates, check original post below:
Re: Time Travel, Existence, God, & Science. . . by Allta(m): 1:22pm On Sep 24, 2009
First, let me start by saying nothing is impossible. Impossibility is relative to common sense, logic; think about it, it's in sane to even consider travelling through time, right? I mean, it's fictional as so many have potrayed, surely it has to, isn't it? Well, it's relative IMO. There were times when it's in sane to fly planes, to travel outside Earth. It was in sane to even consider travelling to other parts of the solar system. The concept of Solar system was in sane to some in those days.

When Tesla invented AC, people like Edison said he was in sane to have even considered it. "[Tesla's] ideas are splendid, but they are utterly impractical."; this is an inventor making such bold statement about another inventor who worked under him for some time. This same Tesla would have invented a means to transmit electricity over wireless/microwave media. It was in sane at the time, in fact, that pushed the boundary of common sense that one of his major investors ,  JP Morgan had to withdraw from the giant project. Tesla demonstrated the technology on a low scale, but because he was turned down everywhere he went for funds, he had to abandon the large scale project.

The point I'm trying to make here is that, the fact that something seems impractical today doesn't make it's impossible tomorrow. Yes, it is fictional, I agree, but so was AC in late 1880s, so was Wireless transmission of Electricity in 1893 when Tesla first demonstrated it at the World's Columbian Exposition in Chicago.

Back to the Post, I remember the first thing I learnt at the University in those days ,  frame of reference. The Prof taught us that frame of reference is always relative. A man sitting inside a Bus will appear static to another man sitting in the Bus; but to someone watching from outside the Bus, they will appear to be moving while the bus is. So the motion is relative to the viewer, and if you ask the other guy in the bus, there is no motion. This theory can be identified with spartial relativity proposed by Einstein in 1905.

Albert generalizes Galileo's principle of relativity–that all uniform motion is relative, and that there is no absolute and well-defined state of rest, from mechanics to all the laws of physics, including both the laws of mechanics and of electrodynamics, whatever they may be. Special relativity incorporates the principle that the speed of light is the same for all inertial observers regardless of the state of motion of the source

In 1983, the metre was redefined in the International System of Units (SI) as the distance travelled by light in vacuum in 1⁄299,792,458 of a second. As a result, c is fixed at exactly 299,792,458 metres per second. According to Albert Einstein's special theory of relativity, c is an important constant connecting space and time in the unified structure of spacetime. As such, it defines the conversion between mass and energy; and is an upper bound on the speed at which matter and information can travel. It is the speed of travel of all electromagnetic radiation in free space, and is believed to be the speed of gravitational waves. In an inertial frame of reference, light in vacuum always travels at c.
According to GBR, the fastest jet can travel at around 3.13Km/s, 100times faster than the speed of sound. Surely, there must be a time when people said, it's in sane to even consider travelling at the speed of sound (0.3Km/s). Now say, there is an invention that can transport man half the speed of light at about 150,000km/s. The distance from London to Lagos is about 5000Km, say I am able to use a plane that travels at half the speed of light, it will take be 0.033seconds. That means I will leave London at 11:00:00am and will arrive Lagos at 11:00:00.033; double that speed up to c and you will arrive in Lagos at 11:00:00.017; double it up again, one more time please ,  would you not say this is equal to disappearing and appearing as in form of magic? really? If we did have such super or ultraluminal  technology, then it wouldn't be considered magic, will it? But this will only help to travel at a speed faster than lightspeed, IMO which isn't Time Travel as in moving to the past or moving into the future.

Now, I'm really excited about what I want to mention next ,  Wormholes!: A theoretical concept/technology which would not require travelling faster than the speed of light  http://prola.aps.org/abstract/PRL/v61/i13/p1446_1;
In physics, a wormhole is a hypothetical topological feature of spacetime that is fundamentally a 'shortcut' through space and time. Spacetime can be viewed as a 2D surface (or at least linear as believed by Newton) that, when 'folded' over, allows the formation of a wormhole bridge. A wormhole has at least two mouths that are connected to a single throat or tube. If the wormhole is traversable, matter can 'travel' from one mouth to the other by passing through the throat. While there is no observational evidence for wormholes, spacetimes containing wormholes are known to be valid solutions in general relativity.
It is argued that, if the laws of physics permit an advanced civilization to create and maintain a wormhole in space for interstellar travel, then that wormhole can be converted into a time machine with which causality might be violatable. Whether wormholes can be created and maintained entails deep, ill-understood issues about cosmic censorship, quantum gravity, and quantum field theory, including the question of whether field theory enforces an averaged version of the weak energy condition.

Make 2 dots on a plane A4 paper with a wet ink, but across each half. Then fold the paper, can the dots stain the other part of the paper? In short, remember De-JaVu Movie, that movie is one of my best Time-Travel fictional film, it exploited the theory and concept of Wormholing; where the govt. developed a technology that allowed Denzel to journey through space, not only that, he also interacted with the past. Denzel didn't have to travel at or faster than the speed of light, the machine simply delivered enough acceleration/velocity to journey through this so called Wormhole.
Wormholes connect two points in spacetime, which means that they would in principle allow travel in time, as well as in space. In a 1988 paper, Morris, Thorne and Yurtsever worked out explicitly how to convert a wormhole traversing space into one traversing time. However, it has been said a time traversing wormhole cannot take you back to before it was made but this is disputed.

Who knows in another 500years, this might not be too far from possibility. Never say never, ai?
Re: Time Travel, Existence, God, & Science. . . by DeepSight(m): 1:56pm On Sep 24, 2009
mantraa:

This has been found to be true so far according to particle accelerators on earth. However there are places in this universe were objects are known to be moving at faster than the speed of light. When an object enters a black hole its speed increases to faster than the speed of light, which is why its called a black hole of course.
Gravity is a force that can move matter faster than the speed of light and when we discover and can measure gravitational waves it will go a long way in helping us understand the relationship between gravity and space/time. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gravitational_wave

Huge space based laser interferometers are being developed which can detect and help us understand this most common but very weak force. It could be similar to the breakthrough when michael farraday discovered the relationship between electricty and magnetism and all the associated equations leading to the devolopment of the electric motor, cathode ray tubes, etc etc.
For instance; we know it takes eight minutes(time) for light from the sun to travel the distance(space) to reach earth at the speed of light(c). Theoretically, it should be possible to transpose the equation. If you change the distance to 1m it may be possible to travel eight minutes in time at the speed of light. If we could understand and recreate the gravitaional forces at work in the centre of a black hole, just as it is possible to create magnetic forces using an electromagnet then maybe we can create an environment (a wormhole) where an object can travel back in time at the speed of light but stay in the same place.

Never say never wink

Brilliant! This is just brilliant!

Q: If man can travel back in time, will it be possible to change events in the past.

Because for me this seems absolutely insurmountable and even an inconguity: because if events in the past are changed, that will invariably change the present as well as the present is the direct product of the past.

Is it possible to alter the present by time travel? ? ? ?

And secondly: If someone travels to the past, where in space is he at that time?

Whatya think guys. . .
Re: Time Travel, Existence, God, & Science. . . by wirinet(m): 3:03pm On Sep 24, 2009

this is just mumbo jumbo . . . this question does not require quotes from ALbert Einstein or his theory. Even the lay man who never went to school understands that time is an intangible but fundamental part of our lives. The day man can stop time then we can start talking about going backward.

David I can excuse you for you ignorance here, I do not expect you or the lay man to understand physics not to talk of fundamental physics.

You cannot talk of time without referring to Albert Einstein's Law of special relativity. Let me explain to you why, that is if you are interested.

According to Newtons Law of motion, Velocity(V) = Distance(D) / Time(T)
So therefore (pardon my english) Time(T) = Velocity(V)/ Distance(D)

So we can safely define time as velocity traveled per distance.

Now here comes the problem. According to Einstein distances gets shorter (including your ruler) the closer we approach the speed of light as compared to the same distance measured by a stationary observer, therefore you measure a shorter distance traveled than a stationary observer you left behind. This means for different velocities (close to the speed of light), we will be measuring longer times for the same distance as compared with that measured by a stationary observer. Effectively time would actually be slowing down for us as compared to our stationary observer, the closer we approach the speed of light, and time would actually stop at the speed of light because you would not be able to measure any distance (remember as compared to an external observer)

So you see time is tied to velocity and Einstein had shown that nothing can travel faster than the speed of light. Even the poster open this thread by proposing to travel back in time by employing velocity, so i do not understand why you say Einstein connection with Time is mumbo jumbo.
Re: Time Travel, Existence, God, & Science. . . by wirinet(m): 3:09pm On Sep 24, 2009

Oga Sir me I am tired of all these assertions oh, does this topic not belong somewhere else if it is a scientific discourse?

Mr Chrisbenogor, They are not assertions. Einsteins theories had been proven again and again. In fact the structure of the universe depends on them.
Re: Time Travel, Existence, God, & Science. . . by Allta(m): 3:13pm On Sep 24, 2009
With Wormholes, sure at least in theory. Wormholes connect two points in spacetime, which means that they would in principle allow travel in time, as well as in space. In a 1988 paper, Morris, Thorne and Yurtsever worked out explicitly how to convert a wormhole traversing space into one traversing time. However, it has been said a time traversing wormhole cannot take you back to before it was made but this is disputed.

This means that one can journey through time (please see my quotes above) and suddenly appear in the past. Remember De-Javu film? Denzel went back in time and he actually did things which he already saw in the future. Sorry, let me explain again. Life or in this case, Time is a constant stream of linear relativity of events. There are two ways to use a traversable wormhole:
1.  One end of the wormhole is accelerated to some significant fraction of the speed of light, perhaps with some advanced propulsion system, and then brought back to the point of origin.
2.  Another way is to take one entrance of the wormhole and move it to within the gravitational field of an object that has higher gravity than the other entrance, and then return it to a position near the other entrance.
Time dilation causes the end of the wormhole that has been moved to have aged less than the stationary end, as seen by an external observer; however, time connects differently through the wormhole than outside it, so that synchronized clocks at either end of the wormhole will always remain synchronized as seen by an observer passing through the wormhole, no matter how the two ends move around. This means that an observer entering the accelerated end would exit the stationary end when the stationary end was the same age that the accelerated end had been at the moment before entry

Basically, if prior to entering the wormhole the observer noted that a clock at the accelerated end(Point A) read a date of 2007 while a clock at the stationary end(Point B) read 2012, then the observer would exit the stationary end when its clock also read 2007, a trip backwards in time as seen by other observers outside. One significant limitation of such a time machine is that it is only possible to go as far back in time as the initial creation of the machine, because the technology can't be transported through time.

In essence, in the year 2012 at stationary exit(Point B), you've moved back in time to 2007 at the stationary exit(Point B). Point B is your frame of reference for this Journey at all times! This means you can go back to 2007 at Point B, buy that white Cadillac you so much love rather than the red Lamborghini which you hated after buying.

Re: Time Travel, Existence, God, & Science. . . by bawomolo(m): 3:26pm On Sep 24, 2009
davidylan:

The adamic nature by itself is in rebellion with God.

interesting
Re: Time Travel, Existence, God, & Science. . . by Allta(m): 3:38pm On Sep 24, 2009
wirinet:

Mr Chrisbenogor, They are not assertions. Einsteins theories had been proven again and again. In fact the structure of the universe depends on them.

But with the concept of Traversable Wormholes, you don't have to travel more than the speed of light. Wormholes operate within the law of spatial relativity. Personally, I think there is more to life than Physics, there must be another yet-2-be-explored field of study which will open up possibilities that will question earlier fields of study. It might not be physics, it might be, I don't know.

Lijun Wang gave the appearance of causality violation by making it possible to send packages of waves through a bulb of caesium gas in such a way that the package appeared to exit the bulb 62 nanoseconds before its entry. Ofcourse it's nearly impossible in present times to achieve same result with any matter, energy or information, but who knows what will happen in year 3099? There will always be better scientists than Einstein and the Newtons of this world. People will still postulate theories and law that will defile or nullify Einsteins', Teslas', Newtons'. I personally don't think the end of science or any other field of study has come.
Re: Time Travel, Existence, God, & Science. . . by wirinet(m): 3:42pm On Sep 24, 2009
Allta, Thanks for your idea regarding worm holes, i had read about them in the past but did not pay any attention to them. I see wormholes as depicted by films as science fantasy. Maybe wormholes can operate on the subatomic level (and i even doubt that) but it is shear fantasy to expect it to exist on the material level (matter). The energy involved with those theoretical objects is so enormous that matter cannot possibly retain its material properties inside. All matter would be converted to energy just like what happens in a black hole. How do you expect humans to survive the travel to and inside a black hole or a worm hole when we cannot survive a travel through the core of the sun, and the energy levels of the sun is infinitesimal as compared to a black hole. The problems with blackholes is that it cannot be observed directly since light cannot escape from it, so we are left with all sorts of conjecture and hypothesis on what happens inside. But we know that all matter is stretched into a one dimension phase just before passing into the
Chandrasekhar limit (point of no return).
Re: Time Travel, Existence, God, & Science. . . by DeepSight(m): 4:30pm On Sep 24, 2009
Can it really be said that Space-Time can be bent as demonstrated, would that not have cataclysmic physical consequences for all matter existing within that Space-Time? ? ?
Re: Time Travel, Existence, God, & Science. . . by Akanniade(m): 4:33pm On Sep 24, 2009
I guess if time travel was possible, my great grandson should have visited me from the future. Or someone should have gone to warn Eve not to eat the fruit. The possibilities are endless. Time travel concept is just a product of overactive imaginations.
Re: Time Travel, Existence, God, & Science. . . by mazaje(m): 5:10pm On Sep 24, 2009
davidylan:

Its funny though how there are 3 (out of 5) votes for maybe. I wonder if the question had been framed as "does God exist" whether we would have gotten up to 10% of the vote.

Its easier to believe in time travel than that God exists. You begin to wonder if all these desperation to explain away the existence of God is really due to a rigorous search for knowledge or the inherent fallen nature of man to rebel against God.

Did the bible not say that at one time the bible god was all over the place killing those that rebel against him and soaking his cloth with their blood. . .shouting and bosting that he killed all the rebels alone?. . .Why is it that these ridiculous stories exist only on the pages of the bible? Where is this mythical yahweh. . . will you pls hurry up and tell him to come and kill us all and soak his cloth with our blood just as he did those that disbelieved in him in the bible. . .by the way why is the bible god only powreful and strong ONLY in the pages of the bible?. . .Is it because the bible god exist ONLY on the pages of the bible? grin grin. . .deluded goons. . . .
Re: Time Travel, Existence, God, & Science. . . by Allta(m): 5:45pm On Sep 24, 2009
Deep Sight:

Can it really be said that Space-Time can be bent as demonstrated, would that not have cataclysmic physical consequences for all matter existing within that Space-Time? ? ?

Someone has done it with packets of waves, no one has ever done it with matter though. Guys, seriously, you're dragging out of my comfort zone.

I'm not an Evolutionist by any chance and I stand to be corrected in case I go off radar. From the study of evolution, life itself began from somewhere around 3.8billion years ago. The earth itself is like 4.5billion years old and was formed from the accretion disc phenomenon revolving around the then Sun. There is a plausible theory that Earth collided with another Planet Theia which led to the formation of Moon. The gravitational pull of the new Moon stabilises the Earth's fluctuating axis of rotation and sets up the conditions in which life formed. The surface of the Earth cools enough for the crust to solidify. Then came the atmosphere, the oceans, Iron-Sulfide synthesis along deep ocean platelet boundaries may have led to the RNA(Ribonucleic Acid) world of competing organic compounds. Then was another large heavy bombardment which could have destroyed any form of life. Then came plausible theories that meteoroids might have brought some form of life back in form of prokaryotes cells. In short, life began from somewhere according to Evolution.

My point is this, Mass has weight only on earth, people say Mass is anything that has weight and occupies space, Mass doesn't have weight in the outerspace, and perhaps doesn't occupy space in a "Wormhole-inspired-World". We never knew there was outerspace until technology took us there. The atoms that make up your body were once a seething plasma, which cooled to form hydrogen atoms, which in turn were converted into heavier elements inside stars. Yet more elements were created when giant stars exploded.

What if Global warming gets so bad that man starts looking for alternative harbour, what if we get ourselves to a planet where mass doesn't weight anything, where the concept of time doesn't even make sense anymore? what if people starts postulating new theories relative to the existence of light or life in matter form on such a planet. What if matter can actually melt in such an environment and then resolidy again? What if?
Re: Time Travel, Existence, God, & Science. . . by DeepSight(m): 5:54pm On Sep 24, 2009
^^^ Allta - matter will always have weight once the planet you are talking about has a magnetic core that provides sufficient gravitational pull for life to subsist therein.

And, weightless or not, have you really considered what it will mean to bend space-time? Have you considered that it will doubtless mean massive disruptive movements all matter including planets, stars and galaxies. . . are you aware that even minute cosmological movements could be disastrous, not to talk about bending the element in which everything is contained? ? ?

You are talking about rippping apart the universe!
Re: Time Travel, Existence, God, & Science. . . by SEFAGO(m): 6:01pm On Sep 24, 2009
yay, this is a a topic i have been looking for- coming back

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

VERY Strong Bible Scholars, Will Their Be The Ability To Sin In Heaven ? / Peter Is NOT The Foundation Of The Church / Why POPE Resign? Is He A Muslim Now?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.