Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,792 members, 7,820,784 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 09:31 PM

Reading Igbo Slave Narratives - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Reading Igbo Slave Narratives (1077 Views)

The Budget 2016: Narratives For The Dummies. / Photos Of Dasuki Reading Newspaper In Court / Radio Biafra And The Biafran Narratives (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Reading Igbo Slave Narratives by Ikengawo: 2:39am On Sep 24, 2009
, very, very insightful

im reading some pretty unanimous things.

no igbo called themselves igbo, they used to term to describe the tribes around them that spoke igbo but they felt no connection to.
a lot of ijaw peoples used the word igbo to mean slave
and ppl west of the niger used Igbo as an insulting blanket term for everyone on the east.

thoughts
Re: Reading Igbo Slave Narratives by udezue(m): 2:42am On Sep 24, 2009

This is 2009. Not slave era. Who gives a damn?
Re: Reading Igbo Slave Narratives by Ikengawo: 6:13am On Sep 24, 2009
me,
Re: Reading Igbo Slave Narratives by AloyEmeka6: 6:16am On Sep 24, 2009
Then go and seek for employment as a slave. undecided
Re: Reading Igbo Slave Narratives by Ikengawo: 6:22am On Sep 24, 2009
idk why im being insulted for presenting history and discussing nigeria in a forum where im supposed to be discussing nigeria.
anything else?
Re: Reading Igbo Slave Narratives by udezue(m): 6:22am On Sep 24, 2009
lmao^^^^^
Re: Reading Igbo Slave Narratives by Kobojunkie: 6:31am On Sep 24, 2009
@Poster, any reference or source for this? This is some interesting stuff that needs to be looked at as well. Would love to debate your findings, grin
Re: Reading Igbo Slave Narratives by OgidiBoy(m): 6:48am On Sep 24, 2009
Aloy~Emeka:

Then go and seek for employment as a slave. undecided

my brother see me see trouble oh grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Reading Igbo Slave Narratives by Ikengawo: 8:55pm On Sep 28, 2009
I was reading a book on NetLibrary.com, hold on let me try to find it.

but it makes sense.

Igbo isn't and Igbo word, it has no meaning root in Igbo like almost every Igbo word. A lot of native american tribes got their names from whatever their neighbors called them and it was often derrogatory, so i wouldn't be suprised if this happened to the Igbo.

Captives and Voyagers: Black Migrants Across the Eighteenth-century British Atlantic World
Antislavery, Abolition, and the Atlantic World

by Byrd, Alexander X.
Publication: Baton Rouge Louisiana State University Press, 2008.

is the book. Its free on net library and if you get and account there you can read it (its a quick process that's free as well)

Pre-colonial igbo history is so fascinating to be cause it's so mysterious.
Re: Reading Igbo Slave Narratives by shotster50(m): 9:29pm On Sep 28, 2009
Very Interesting,
Re: Reading Igbo Slave Narratives by morpheus24: 9:33pm On Sep 28, 2009
Source please!
Re: Reading Igbo Slave Narratives by Nobody: 10:42pm On Sep 28, 2009
Ikengawo:

, very, very insightful

im reading some pretty unanimous things.

no igbo called themselves igbo, they used to term to describe the tribes around them that spoke igbo but they felt no connection to.
a lot of ijaw peoples used the word igbo to mean slave
and ppl west of the niger used Igbo as an insulting blanket term for everyone on the east.

thoughts

hellloooo

Europeans did the same (ie used Igbo as a blanket term for everybody) cos I dont see how people west of the Niger are involved in this matter.

maybe they copied it from oyibos.
Re: Reading Igbo Slave Narratives by Ikengawo: 7:12pm On Sep 30, 2009
ppl west of the Niger were involved by using Igbo as a blanket term. U mad?

plus wtf, they still do it today lol. Most Ijaw or ogoni ppl in lagos are assumed by non easterners to be Igbo as most northerns are assumed to be hausa and most westerners are assumed to be yoruba.
Re: Reading Igbo Slave Narratives by egheleghe(m): 11:20pm On Sep 30, 2009
@ikengawo.eureka!you just discovered what has always been known.even inside the heart of igboland,people still refer to igbo thesame way.in my hometown,we say 'awum oru ma awudikwam igbo' which literally means you shouldnt call me igbo because i am an oru man.oru sees igbo as the people further up towards anambra state and benue.you should therefore drop the topic because it will end up imploding we igbos.
Re: Reading Igbo Slave Narratives by SEFAGO(m): 11:33pm On Sep 30, 2009
I am actually inteersted in slave narratives, very interesting topic---> never knew the igbo (or ppl around that area) kept slaves, i thot it was a yoruba and hausa things.
Re: Reading Igbo Slave Narratives by Nobody: 2:45am On Oct 01, 2009
Ikengawo:

ppl west of the Niger were involved by using Igbo as a blanket term. U mad?

plus wtf, they still do it today lol. Most Ijaw or ogoni ppl in lagos are assumed by non easterners to be Igbo as most northerns are assumed to be hausa and most westerners are assumed to be yoruba.

shut up, get your act together and reread my post.

You started off by bringing in people west of the Niger. What do they have to do with your topic?

and I'm telling you instead of blowing your bloomers over people west of the Niger calling everybody Igbo, go and face the Europeans who did the same.

So how many westerners arent Yoruba?

and plz dont give me any Badagry ramblings.
Re: Reading Igbo Slave Narratives by Kobojunkie: 2:48am On Oct 01, 2009
SEFAGO:

I am actually inteersted in slave narratives, very interesting topic---> never knew the igbo (or ppl around that area) kept slaves, i thot it was a yoruba and hausa things.

What? You NEVER KNEW this? Dude, I hope you are not ibo cause that would mean you know little of your own people's history! shocked
Re: Reading Igbo Slave Narratives by Ikengawo: 4:30am On Oct 01, 2009
shut up, get your act together and reread my post.

You started off by bringing in people west of the Niger. What do they have to do with your topic?

and I'm telling you instead of blowing your bloomers over people west of the Niger calling everybody Igbo, go and face the Europeans who did the same.

So how many westerners arent Yoruba?

and plz dont give me any Badagry ramblings.
are you seriously getting mad because of the internet?

Edo are westerners that aren't Yoruba.
If you want to discuss the subject calm down first, i have nothing to do with the short comings in your life and you shouldn't be getting mad cause of internet
Re: Reading Igbo Slave Narratives by Nobody: 4:35am On Oct 01, 2009
Ikengawo:

are you seriously getting mad because of the internet?

Edo are westerners that aren't Yoruba.
If you want to discuss the subject calm down first, i have nothing to do with the short comings in your life and you shouldn't be getting mad cause of internet

believe me, if I'm mad you'll know it. I dont pussyfoot like you.

The shortcomings in your own life may be weighing you down however- that's your problem, not mine.

So you need to calm down.

All I'm saying is Yoruba has nothing to do with your topic. Europeans were the ones calling everybody Igbo during your frame of reference, or are Yorubas the ones who enslaved Igbos?

Edos arent westerners- stop being so persistent in your ignorance especially since you want to tear your pantyhose over people calling everyone Igbo.

and when did Edos start calling every easterner/south southerner Igbo?

bloody liar.

You say you want to talk of Igbo slave narratives you still find a lopsided way of bringing in Yoruba. Typical yahoo yahoo boy.
Re: Reading Igbo Slave Narratives by Ikengawo: 4:46pm On Oct 06, 2009
believe me, if I'm mad you'll know it. I dont pussyfoot like you. (LOL why are you insulting me? its the internet calm down)
The shortcomings in your own life (LOL! jesus!) may be weighing you down however- that's your problem, not mine.

So you need to calm down.

All I'm saying is Yoruba has nothing to do with your topic. Europeans were the ones calling everybody Igbo during your frame of reference, or are Yorubas the ones who enslaved Igbos? (No, Yorubas were doing it to, dude calm down and read the book)

Edos arent westerners- stop being so persistent in your ignorance especially since you want to tear your pantyhose over people calling everyone Igbo. (If they are west of the igbo, they are, in this context westerners, why are you so angry?)
and when did Edos start calling every easterner/south southerner Igbo?(Its in the book dude, lol, everyone east of the Niger was called Igbo)

bloody liar. (hahahahaha, you're VERY angry)
You say you want to talk of Igbo slave narratives you still find a lopsided way of bringing in Yoruba. Typical yahoo yahoo boy.

I think the internet is ruining your life, lol calm down, i dont hate you, calm the Bleep down lol.

(1) (Reply)

Al-queda Infiltrates Nigeria / Why Nt Bbc English: Ya'adua Is Dead! / Efcc Probes Fashola •investigators Move To Lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.