Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,258 members, 7,957,633 topics. Date: Tuesday, 24 September 2024 at 04:18 PM

My PPA: The Peoples' Cultures - NYSC - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / NYSC / My PPA: The Peoples' Cultures (997 Views)

What Gift Should I Give To My PPA? Advise Please / Annoying Pictures From My PPA In Ondo / Help! I Need To Change My Ppa (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

My PPA: The Peoples' Cultures by Nobody: 11:31pm On Aug 09, 2016
NYSC, being a program that gives opportunity for graduates to experience another part of the country, landed me in the East, as a matter of fact, the heart of Eastern states, IMO STATE.

My PPA is Divine Grace Montessori School, Obudi Agwa, Oguta LGA, Imo state. Am still a serving corp member, batch B 2015/2016. Below, are just some few cultures I observed being practiced here.

1. Market Days: The market days here do come after 3 days interval, excluding Sundays. Let's say, if the market is observed on Wednesday, the next market suppose to be on Sunday, but instead of Sunday, it will be shifted back to Saturday. Then the next market day will be onThursday (start counting from Monday), the fourth day.

2. Cassava Days: As an Igbo settlement and land, you should expect cassava very plenty! Because Gari is needed for eba food. Before anyone will starts harvesting the cassava, the king (Eze) must declare it. And the days are being stipulated by him, usually, after one week interval or two weeks. If one is caught digging cassava other than the stipulated day, he/she will answer query from the king. They believed that with this, stealing could be curtailed.

3. Masquerade Season: Masquerades do always come out every year. This year, they came out early July and ended just last week, 6th August. During the masquerade season, girls don't wear trousers, because if a lady is caught wearing trouser, they will tear it and flog her well well! Even our female corps members had to be wearing skirts through out the period. The masquerade, also called Okorochi in Igbo (Please forgive me, Igbo nairalanders if I spelt it wrongly), is dressed in palm tree leaves covering all his body with a mask on his face and also put on sucks such that his body is covered completely. In my community, they reached almost ten masquerades. They do stop vehicles passing and cajourl them to give them money. Once it is 10:00pm, you must not be outside else if they catch you outside, they will beat the hell out of you! As corps member, we were advised to wear corpers' caps to indicate that we are corpers so that they wouldn't treat us cruelly. It was fun seeing them displaying.

4. New borned baby's celebration: If a woman delivers, they do buy baby powder and go round the town, spreading it at people, giving people to apply it on their faces. Once you see this happening, just know that a bouncing baby has just being delivered!

what are the cultures of the community of your PPA?

1 Like

Re: My PPA: The Peoples' Cultures by Nobody: 1:54pm On Aug 11, 2016
Photos

1 Like

Re: My PPA: The Peoples' Cultures by Dream2(m): 4:57pm On Aug 11, 2016
Nice thread,those kids are doing "Ojuju" things,i used to apply methylated powder back then at night to scared my sister,will feign deep voice and start saying"Ojuju Muooooooo,kokokoko" it's fun to me but to my elder sister,it's hell.
Re: My PPA: The Peoples' Cultures by Nobody: 9:29pm On Aug 11, 2016
Dream2:
Nice thread,those kids are doing "Ojuju" things,i used to apply methylated powder back then at night to scared my sister,will feign deep voice and start saying"Ojuju Muooooooo,kokokoko" it's fun to me but to my elder sister,it's hell.

Hahahaha........
Re: My PPA: The Peoples' Cultures by Dream2(m): 7:05pm On Aug 12, 2016
NehemiahM:

Hahahaha........
Used to be fun back then,moreover i will urge you to add enough pictures and update regularly as this thread is educative.
Re: My PPA: The Peoples' Cultures by Nobody: 9:52pm On Aug 12, 2016
Dream2:

Used to be fun back then,moreover i will urge you to add enough pictures and update regularly as this thread is educative.

Alright thanks

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

NYSC Postpones 2018 Batch B Online Registration To July 9th, 2018 / Solution To No Record Found On NYSC Senate List / NYSC Assures Corps Members Of Paying March, April Allowances Despite Lockdown

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.