Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,618 members, 7,813,034 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 05:12 AM

Remembering Samuel Okwaraji: 27 Years After (Tomorrow) - Sports (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Remembering Samuel Okwaraji: 27 Years After (Tomorrow) (23701 Views)

Remembering Samuel Okwaraji 29 Years Later. / Pictures Of NFF Branded Wine Bottles For Use After Tomorrow's Match / Remembering Samuel Okwaraji: 28 Years After (PHOTOS) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Remembering Samuel Okwaraji: 27 Years After (Tomorrow) by Emmahunk(m): 11:17am On Aug 12, 2016
Sam Okwaraji aka Wasky Pele, gifted and talented.
3rd position in Omo , table tennis championship
A renowned boxer in then Orlu Zone
A professional lawn tennis player
Made 8 alphas in Waec and
A soccer hero

You were one of the shinning lights of Eziachi Secondary School Orlu and the pride of then Dormitory A.
You had always fantasized about playing for Rangers at the National Stadium and ended up playing for the Nation at the National Stadium where you lost your life.
We love and miss you but God obviously loves you more.
Adieu Wasky Pele, your memory lives on. RIP
Re: Remembering Samuel Okwaraji: 27 Years After (Tomorrow) by sekem: 1:25pm On Aug 12, 2017
naptu2:
My dad and others were at the stadium, but I watched the match on tv at home. I saw when Okwaraji collapsed, when one of the players (I've forgotten who) put his hands on his head in alarm and when Okwaraji was stretchered into the ambulance. I assumed that he was alive and expected to read updates on his condition in the papers the next day.

I also saw as some fans were being carried over the fence and stretchered to the athletics track where Red Cross officials were attending to them. The stadium was too full and it seems that the gates were opened during the second half and there was a scuffle between people who were trying to get into the arena and people who were trying to get out. Some people suffocated, while others were trampled.

But my uncle (who played for Nigeria in the '50s and '60s) showed up at the house after the match. "Where is ****" (my dad). "He's not back", I replied.

"They've killed this boy o!", my uncle exclaimed. I asked who and he replied that Okwaraji was dead. I didn't believe him. "But they put him in the ambulance", I replied. My uncle grew angry. "Which ambulance? Which ambulance? The boy was dead on the pitch. The ambulance was just for show, so that the crowd wouldn't panic".

I still refused to believe him, but I didn't argue, because I could see that he was upset. Instead, I went to my room and prayed, hoped and wished that Okwaraji was still alive. But unfortunately, it was reported on the NTA News that Okwaraji was dead. cry

Choi

Oga you don old o

I'm sure na black and white television you use watch dat game abi? tongue
Re: Remembering Samuel Okwaraji: 27 Years After (Tomorrow) by naptu2: 1:28pm On Aug 12, 2017
sekem:

Choi

Oga you don old o

I'm sure na black and white television you use watch dat game abi? tongue

We got our first colour tv in 1979.
Re: Remembering Samuel Okwaraji: 27 Years After (Tomorrow) by sekem: 4:15pm On Aug 12, 2017
naptu2:

We got our first colour tv in 1979.

Eziokwu?

Youdonminit!!!

You must be from a vely vely rich family then

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Lawyers Drop Neymar's Rape Accuser / Ahmed Musa Celebrates Son's 1st Birthday / "It's All Jealousy!": Zlatan Ibrahimovic Slams Paul Pogba’s Critics

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.