Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,505 members, 7,826,906 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 10:37 PM

How The Economic Recession Is Affecting Travel In Nigeria - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / How The Economic Recession Is Affecting Travel In Nigeria (17198 Views)

Thousands Of Venezuelans Trying To Enter Columbia To Escape Economic Crisis(Pic / 5 Ways To Save For Money For Travel In 2017 / 7 Most Dangerous Roads To Travel In Nigeria( SEE PHOTOS) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

How The Economic Recession Is Affecting Travel In Nigeria by Encrypted: 6:23pm On Aug 11, 2016
In July 2016, the Minister of Finance, Kemi Adeosun , announced that Nigeria’s economy was technically in recession. This official statement came on the heels of a similar statement credited to the Central Bank of Nigeria Governor, Mr. Godwin Emefiele who admitted that the economy was in stagflation. These revelations no doubt point to the fact that all is not well with Nigeria’s economy.

For many stakeholders in the transportation sector, these official statements should have come earlier because Forex scarcity , occasioned by the fall in crude oil prices has strangulated the local economy making many airlines struggle while others have wound up.

As the current hardship persists in the wake of dwindling local economy, airlines and transporters are put in a difficult position. They complain of low patronage as our investigations reveal. A visit to Murtala Mohammed International Airport, Lagos indicates that there’s general reduction in activities.

Our source who spoke on the condition of anonymity said: “Most of our planes now depart from here and return from other countries half of what they used to carry.” According to the industry source, “Why the aviation sector is experiencing low patronage is that most people who patronize airlines are rich people, middle class income earners, government officials, and officials of multinational companies. But now that these people are complaining there’s no money, it is taking a heavy toll on us. Many of these comfortable people have stopped embarking on lavish abroad trips and shopping.”

Further investigations by Nigeriatravelblog.com revealed that not only local carriers are feeling the economic downturn as many of their foreign counterparts have concluded arrangement to pull out of Nigeria owing to FX crisis while others have already withdrawn their services from Nigeria. It would be recalled that US carrier United Airlines on 30th June ended daily flights between Houston, Texas and Nigeria’s commercial capital, Lagos. In the similar vein, Spanish airline Iberia had withdrawn its services to Nigerian travellers a month before.

The continuous withdrawal of these giants from Nigeria’s airspace means job losses, reduced government earning (in taxes), and limited travellers’ choices. International Airport Transport Association (IATA) released a statement in May, 2016 saying that “The inability of airlines to access forex in Africa’s largest economy, if not resolved, will affect air travels within and outside Nigeria – and if that happens, it will undermine Nigeria’s position as West Africa aviation hub.” “Furthermore, as a result of foreign exchange restrictions imposed by Federal Government, foreign airlines have not been able to repatriate over $600m in ticket sales” IATA says.

This tale of woes isn’t just narrated by airline operators in the country , as the impact is also felt among major commercial bus operators in Nigeria. A visit to the ever-busy Jibowu motor park in Lagos on Sunday revealed a general drop in hustle and bustle which characterized the area. From God Is Good Motors to Chisco, from E. Ekeson to The Young Shall Grow, there is general drop in activities. A ticketer with one of the major transporters who identified himself as Emeka opined: “Everybody is crying no money – no money! And if you check yourself too you will see they are right. Our patronage has really dropped because there is no money now, but we are hoping things will get better before the end of the year.”

As travellers continue to justify the need to travel in the light of persistent economic hardship, it is hoped that the economy would improve in the near future. Federal Government of Nigeria had earlier promised to diversify its crude oil-revenue financed economy as a way of increasing government earnings and stimulating the economy, but apparently, much hasn’t been done in that area. As optimistic Nigerians await the government to revamp the local economy, many others have remained despondent saying that the government lacks direction and focus as Nigerians have witnessed policy somersault in recent times.

Well, no matter the side of the divide you are on, one thing is crystal clear – Nigeria’s economy is in recession and this is rearing its ugly head in the transportation sector of the economy – discouraging fun seekers from travelling. Official figures had it that Nigeria’s economy contracted by 0.4% in the first quarter of this year.

From the foregoing, there’s a connection between the economy and travel around Nigeria. As the country’s apex bank, the CBN, has introduced flexibility into the foreign exchange market as a way of reviving the ailing economy, Nigeriatravelblog.com will continue to monitor the (micro and macro) economy as well as report its multiplier effect on travel business in Nigeria in the coming days.

http://nigeriatravelblog.com/economy-affecting-travel-around-nigeria/

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How The Economic Recession Is Affecting Travel In Nigeria by beautiful232(f): 8:22pm On Aug 11, 2016
Ok
Re: How The Economic Recession Is Affecting Travel In Nigeria by EmekaBlue(m): 8:23pm On Aug 11, 2016
Impeach Impeach Impeach una know who

D chief certified dullard himself...Mallam Buhari

47 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How The Economic Recession Is Affecting Travel In Nigeria by rattlesnake(m): 8:24pm On Aug 11, 2016
i voted for apc
but
PDP are thieves they spoilt nigeria
but APC is spoiling it more

26 Likes 1 Share

Re: How The Economic Recession Is Affecting Travel In Nigeria by kelvyn7: 8:24pm On Aug 11, 2016
it is well with this country.

1 Like

Re: How The Economic Recession Is Affecting Travel In Nigeria by kayo80(m): 8:24pm On Aug 11, 2016
Obviously the recession will affect every aspect.

When we hit rock bottom, I am sure we will bounce back as a country. At least then, all the positive praises will fall solely on the president and his cabinet. Just as Buhari and his ministers are being lambasted by most Nigerians right now, the same people will praise them in a few years to come. Amen!

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: How The Economic Recession Is Affecting Travel In Nigeria by beautiful232(f): 8:25pm On Aug 11, 2016
My transportation to work monthly is more than my salary

Which way cry

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How The Economic Recession Is Affecting Travel In Nigeria by Nobody: 8:25pm On Aug 11, 2016
Hopeless situation with this directionless government on seat

24 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How The Economic Recession Is Affecting Travel In Nigeria by Uchefrancis16(m): 8:25pm On Aug 11, 2016
hmmm
Re: How The Economic Recession Is Affecting Travel In Nigeria by dannyben5: 8:26pm On Aug 11, 2016
Am weeping for nigeria....who get handki abeg...

7 Likes

Re: How The Economic Recession Is Affecting Travel In Nigeria by SageTravels: 8:27pm On Aug 11, 2016
hnmmm
Re: How The Economic Recession Is Affecting Travel In Nigeria by Nobody: 8:28pm On Aug 11, 2016
and dullards keep shouting sai Buhari

14 Likes

Re: How The Economic Recession Is Affecting Travel In Nigeria by heed101(m): 8:28pm On Aug 11, 2016
lipsrsealed
Re: How The Economic Recession Is Affecting Travel In Nigeria by SycophanticGoat: 8:29pm On Aug 11, 2016
beautiful232:
My transportation to work monthly is more than my salary

Which way cry

Sorry hun, by 2019, ensure you don't feel funky, lying indoors while we file out to vote. Join us and vote the dead brained dullard out... cheesy grin

7 Likes

Re: How The Economic Recession Is Affecting Travel In Nigeria by SycophanticGoat: 8:30pm On Aug 11, 2016
dannyben5:
Am weeping for nigeria....who get handki abeg...

Hanky done cost now.. When you weep, use your shirt clean am.. grin cheesy

38 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How The Economic Recession Is Affecting Travel In Nigeria by Nobody: 8:30pm On Aug 11, 2016
dannyben5:
Am wiping for nigeria....who get handki abeg...
wipe it well brother.... u be wiper?

4 Likes

Re: How The Economic Recession Is Affecting Travel In Nigeria by tno4real(m): 8:30pm On Aug 11, 2016
Nigeria problem is the most easiest issue to solve, but there are some deep secret affecting the economy

3 Likes

Re: How The Economic Recession Is Affecting Travel In Nigeria by boolee(m): 8:33pm On Aug 11, 2016
let's Hope for a better Nigeria.
Re: How The Economic Recession Is Affecting Travel In Nigeria by tno4real(m): 8:36pm On Aug 11, 2016
SycophanticGoat:

Sorry hun, by 2019, ensure you don't feel funky, lying indoors while we file out to vote. Join us and vote the dead brained dullard out... cheesy grin

Mr man who do u plan to vote come 2019? U better think well

2 Likes

Re: How The Economic Recession Is Affecting Travel In Nigeria by tno4real(m): 8:36pm On Aug 11, 2016
SycophanticGoat:

Mr man who do u plan to vote for come 2019? U better think well
Re: How The Economic Recession Is Affecting Travel In Nigeria by MichaelDee: 8:37pm On Aug 11, 2016
I welcome u all to enjoy the benefit of CHAIN by APC government. Next time wen u hear CHANGE, BUHARI, TINUBU or their fucking PROGRESS, u will all pick race. More bottles of UDEME for my wailers.

2 Likes

Re: How The Economic Recession Is Affecting Travel In Nigeria by Nobody: 8:39pm On Aug 11, 2016
EmekaBlue:
Impeach Impeach Impeach una know who

D chief certified dullard himself...Mallam Buhari
I disagree, so you want zombies to now say if we had only been more patient apc would have turned naija to London?,you want them to say what Nigeria was experiencing was the storm before the calm and all we needed was a little more patience? majority of Nigerians voted for change, and change we will all get even people like me who knew the promises were too go to be true

2 Likes

Re: How The Economic Recession Is Affecting Travel In Nigeria by Deepfreezer(m): 8:39pm On Aug 11, 2016
Airfare from Cyprus to Nigeria 400k
Used to buy Dubai tickets 135k - 180k depends on the airline. Now its between 235k - 400k

5 Likes

Re: How The Economic Recession Is Affecting Travel In Nigeria by GloriaNinja(f): 8:40pm On Aug 11, 2016
Nigeria is cursed
Re: How The Economic Recession Is Affecting Travel In Nigeria by Ekugbeh(m): 8:40pm On Aug 11, 2016
My father my father..... Every spirit of change...... In the name of jesus..... Change the changer.... Change the changer...... Change the changer.... Change the changer...... Change the changer.... Change the changer...... Change the changer.... Change the changer......

1 Like

Re: How The Economic Recession Is Affecting Travel In Nigeria by SycophanticGoat: 8:41pm On Aug 11, 2016
tno4real:

Mr man who do u plan to vote come 2019? U better think well

Do you want me to vote for the brainless old fool? God forbid evil.. I'd rather vote for a goat than vote for Buhari..

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: How The Economic Recession Is Affecting Travel In Nigeria by rusher14: 8:43pm On Aug 11, 2016
Complaining might help you release your anger and frustration but it won't change your finances.

Farm, create things, render a service today.

Export, create an alternative to that which we import, stay positive.

5 Likes

Re: How The Economic Recession Is Affecting Travel In Nigeria by naijaict: 8:44pm On Aug 11, 2016
all I know is that another worse candidate will be voted in again.
why not learn the secrets of making money on mmm? http://www.naijaict.com/2016/08/how-to-make-money-with-mmm.html?m=1
Re: How The Economic Recession Is Affecting Travel In Nigeria by JaypeeAnics(m): 8:44pm On Aug 11, 2016
D economy has effected everybody and everything....
Infact i'm tired- i want to leave dis country, i'm going to ondo state.....pls don't try to change my mind.

4 Likes

Re: How The Economic Recession Is Affecting Travel In Nigeria by SycophanticGoat: 8:44pm On Aug 11, 2016
2dugged:
I disagree, so you want zombies to now say if we had only been more patient apc would have turned naija to London?,you want them to say what Nigeria was experiencing was the storm before the calm and all we needed was a little more patience? majority of Nigerians voted for change, and change we will all get even people like me who knew the promises were too go to be true

Did you also vote for the greatest scam ever since the creation of man? cheesy grin

2 Likes

Re: How The Economic Recession Is Affecting Travel In Nigeria by JaypeeAnics(m): 8:45pm On Aug 11, 2016
Buhari wants to kill us ooo - but Kolewerk.
Re: How The Economic Recession Is Affecting Travel In Nigeria by Explorers(m): 8:46pm On Aug 11, 2016
Imagine, God help us....

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

30 PDP Members Die In Road Accident In Benue / NIS Arrests 400 Illegal Immigrants In Edo State / Justwise, Pls Help For Error In My Waec Result For Uk Admission

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.