Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,906 members, 7,821,145 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 08:58 AM

Open Discussion: Must Citizens Rely Too Much On Government? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Open Discussion: Must Citizens Rely Too Much On Government? (624 Views)

"Don't Rely On Certificate Alone" - Osinbajo‎ Charges Youths / Nigerians Are Lazy, Too Dependent On Government - Kachikwu / Nigeria Must Not Rely On Oil- Osinbajo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Open Discussion: Must Citizens Rely Too Much On Government? by argon500: 6:23pm On Aug 11, 2016
I think Nigerians are too reliant on the government to solve their problems.. Fine, we all know the economy is bad at the moment, but what steps are the individual making to turn things around?.. Must people wait for government for everything, i mean everything?

We (the citizens and common man) are the main cause why Nigeria over the years of Independence till date keeps getting worse.

We play sentiments in anything and everything we do. In choosing a Leader, awarding contract and even correctly our corrupt politicians.

Must we wait for things to deteriorate before taking action? Must disaster happen before we realize there are pending reports on that same issue we refused or forgot to tackle before this present disaster?

Please do not derail the thread
Re: Open Discussion: Must Citizens Rely Too Much On Government? by HungerBAD: 6:27pm On Aug 11, 2016
I support you.

It's called being lazy. Everything has to be provided to them by the government.

2 Likes

Re: Open Discussion: Must Citizens Rely Too Much On Government? by argon500: 6:32pm On Aug 11, 2016
HungerBAD:
I support you.

It's called being lazy. Everything has to be provided to them by the government.

I concur
Re: Open Discussion: Must Citizens Rely Too Much On Government? by delishpot: 6:32pm On Aug 11, 2016
No, but the government needs to provide simple infrastructure and safe environment to make it easy for the people to be able to support their own dreams.
Re: Open Discussion: Must Citizens Rely Too Much On Government? by freeze001(f): 6:38pm On Aug 11, 2016
Argon500 to aid this open discussion u seek to start, please clarify your position on these basics:

1) What exactly is the role of a government?
2) What do you consider 'too much' reliance on government?
3) Is it possible that some roles of d govt, if not carried out by the government will actually impede successful efforts of citizens to 'play their own roles'?

I am certain if these areas are cleared up by you, you'd have successfully set this discourse in proper perspective.

8 Likes

Re: Open Discussion: Must Citizens Rely Too Much On Government? by MENZPRIDE(m): 6:55pm On Aug 11, 2016
Re: Open Discussion: Must Citizens Rely Too Much On Government? by Jirate(m): 7:06pm On Aug 11, 2016
Why didn't you ask this question before the 2015 general election, your Bubu has failed now you are trying to bobo the people, go and sleep jor.

1 Like

Re: Open Discussion: Must Citizens Rely Too Much On Government? by sentee(f): 7:12pm On Aug 11, 2016
Many people depends on the government for almost everything and this saddens me, and they blame the government for many of their misfortunes. crimes are on the increase every day, and all the criminals will push their blame on the government for not providing them with job or some necessities. The point is we should be creative and make money for ourselves, and not to always depends on government job. Do not downgrade any job, you can be an entrepreneur and employ people to work for you, that is, you can be a solution to somebody's problem. and by doing this you will contribute in boosting the economy. All am trying to say is, you are the solution to your problem not the government. No government in the world can provide everything for its citizens, so don't blame the government for everything. God bless Nigeria!
Re: Open Discussion: Must Citizens Rely Too Much On Government? by csamii: 7:54pm On Aug 11, 2016
Which kind of senseless people dey nairaland sef?
So I'm suppose to generate electricity myself or health care or security abi good road?

If I should do all these myself then what is the role of the government?

1 Like

Re: Open Discussion: Must Citizens Rely Too Much On Government? by Nobody: 6:18am On Aug 12, 2016
If I am supposed to create everything myself what's the point of an imposed tax when I'm finally self-sufficient?
Re: Open Discussion: Must Citizens Rely Too Much On Government? by DjAndroid: 7:28am On Aug 12, 2016
csamii:
Which kind of senseless people dey nairaland sef?
So I'm suppose to generate electricity myself or health care or security abi good road?

If I should do all these myself then what is the role of the government?

Or I go carry jerrycan travel outside to find fuel use.

To the Op, the policies of government are supposed to provide enabling environment for the citizens to thrive in their efforts.
Re: Open Discussion: Must Citizens Rely Too Much On Government? by argon500: 7:52am On Aug 12, 2016
DjAndroid:

Or I go carry jerrycan travel outside to find fuel use.

To the Op, the policies of government are supposed to provide enabling environment for the citizens to thrive in their efforts.

You guys should get to know one thing, no matter how bad/poor Nigeria economy is, we are still far better than so many countries.. Government are supposed to provide enabling environment, yes, accepted but they have failed us, not today, not yesterday, not last year or last decade.. My question still remain, what effort are the citizens making in turning things around for good?
Re: Open Discussion: Must Citizens Rely Too Much On Government? by DjAndroid: 8:06am On Aug 12, 2016
argon500:

You guys should get to know one thing, no matter how bad/poor Nigeria economy is, we are still far better than so many countries.. Government are supposed to provide enabling environment, yes, accepted but they have failed us, not today, not yesterday, not last year or last decade.. My question still remain, what effort are the citizens making in turning things around for good?

Now sight instances where citizens can help let's take it from there.

Everything revolves around government and it's policies .
Re: Open Discussion: Must Citizens Rely Too Much On Government? by argon500: 8:47am On Aug 12, 2016
DjAndroid:

Now sight instances where citizens can help let's take it from there.

Everything revolves around government and it's policies .

1. Imagine living in an estate where rich man lives but they couldn't filled the pot hole on their street waiting for government
2. Imagine Christian CEO who doesnt not want to employ Muslims, same goes as Muslim
3. Imagine where people take all they have to give as a tithe in church/mosque but couldn't help their family members not to talk of beggars in the street
4. Imagine someone seeking for an advice and all what he could get was an insult..

Bro, that is the true nature of the country
Re: Open Discussion: Must Citizens Rely Too Much On Government? by DjAndroid: 8:57am On Aug 12, 2016
argon500:

1. Imagine living in an estate where rich man lives but they couldn't filled the pot hole on their street waiting for government
2. Imagine Christian CEO who doesnt not want to employ Muslims, same goes as Muslim
3. Imagine where people take all they have to give as a tithe in church/mosque but couldn't help their family members not to talk of beggars in the street
4. Imagine someone seeking for an advice and all what he could get was an insult..

Bro, that is the true nature of the country

I agree with you. But Morals/philanthropy should be separated from governance.

Secondly, I live in the southeast where almost all social amenities are provided by individuals not government.
Re: Open Discussion: Must Citizens Rely Too Much On Government? by kendo19841: 9:07am On Aug 12, 2016
Can u bost of a single you and any of ur family memebers have benefited or benefiting from the federal Government
Re: Open Discussion: Must Citizens Rely Too Much On Government? by Sweetguy25: 9:18am On Aug 12, 2016
That's exactly what some Nigerians are presently doing by engaging in robberies and theft, kidnapping, militancy and insurgency but you will still complain. grin
Re: Open Discussion: Must Citizens Rely Too Much On Government? by argon500: 9:25am On Aug 12, 2016
kendo19841:
Can u bost of a single you and any of ur family memebers have benefited or benefiting from the federal Government

See let us stop deceiving ourselves.. I am in my early 30's and believe me I have never experience 7 days uninterrupted light before in Nigeria.. I hope that didnt start yesterday or today.. The truth is both past and present government have failed us..

(1) (Reply)

Check Out Beautiful New Photos Of Iara Oshiomole As She Cover Thisday Magazine / What Is The Current Power Situation In Your Area? / Nigerians May Die Before Buhari Completes Reforms – Shehu Sani

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.