Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,786 members, 7,810,050 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:22 PM

Uche Ejimofor: The Man Who Handed Kanu His First Professional Contract - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Uche Ejimofor: The Man Who Handed Kanu His First Professional Contract (22727 Views)

Uche Okechukwu Becomes A Professional Hunter (Pictured) / Uche Kalu Buys Range Rover For Wife, Ada Uche-Kalu As Christmas Gift (photos) / Uche Kalu's Wife, Ada's Pregnancy Shoot (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Uche Ejimofor: The Man Who Handed Kanu His First Professional Contract by robosky02(m): 6:15pm On Aug 12, 2016
In Owerri, the name of Uche Ejimofor is synonymous with football since the 1980s. A former footballer who became a journalist and then a club administrator, Ejimofor is famous for surviving a plane crash with Iwuanyanwu Nationale in 1994 that left two players dead and others maimed.

He wears it proudly as a badge of honour. “No team administrator has won five national titles and if they do, they haven’t survived a plane crash,” Ejimofor proudly told Goal in Owerri.

It was such resolve that helped him to sign former Nigeria star Nwankwo Kanu to his first professional contract in 1992. Ejimofor had heard about the impressive talent making heads turn on the local school football circuit in Owerri. So he went to watch him play and immediately knew there was something in the young boy.

“He was good but he was slim, like something that could break,” said Ejimofor.

Mazi Uche Ejimofor

He struggled to find the fees to sign the lad from the amateur club that he had been attached to while fending off interest from Enyimba, the club from the rich market town of Aba. The influence of Kanu’s father, a Nationale supporters’ club member, also played a major role in ensuring his success.

Though very young, Kanu was promoted into the first team at Iwuanyanwu but still faced tough times as he sought for opportunities to prove himself to the coaches. But Ejimofor never gave up.

“I kept encouraging him and even took him to a game in my car one day when he and another young player had been dropped from the match day squad. When we got to the game, he was eventually selected and he scored the winning goal. I asked the team to pay me back my money for transporting him to the game,” said Ejimofor.

From under Ejimofor’s watch, Kanu went on to become a member of the Nigeria U17 squad that won the Fifa title in 1993. Afterwards, things moved so fast and Kanu left Ejimofor’s care for the Netherlands where he signed for Ajax.

Then international acclaim came for the player as he led Nigeria to win the continent’s first Olympic men’s football gold in 1996 at Atlanta. Further moves were made to Inter Milan, Arsenal, Portsmouth and West Brom before he called time on his career.

Papilo FC

There was a time Ejimofor became very afraid for his protégé. In 1996, weeks after the Olympic win, Kanu’s transfer to Inter Milan was stalled after it was discovered he had a hole in his heart that could threaten his football career. The player sought treatment at the Cleveland Clinic in the United States.

“Initially we were told he wasn’t going to be able to play football again, it was sad,” said Ejimofor. “It’s the miracle of the century as he started playing again.

“He does not talk much about that operation, he believes it’s a miracle from God.”

Today, Ejimofor works as chairman of Papilo FC, the team that Kanu founded two years ago in order to help talented young footballers in Owerri achieve their dreams of playing professional football.

“He’s a special being and we may never have someone like him again,” he said.

The football legend has given Owerri the Kanu Nwankwo Sports Complex, a members-only facility with a synthetic football pitch, basketball court, boxing ring and a club house.

“He is giving back to the town that made him. This is one of many things to come,” Ejimofor said.

http://www.goal.com/en-ng/news/4093/nigerian-football/2016/08/12/26447892/uche-ejimofor-the-man-who-handed-kanu-his-first-professional?ICID=HP_HN_1

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Uche Ejimofor: The Man Who Handed Kanu His First Professional Contract by AlphaCentauri: 7:32pm On Aug 12, 2016
interesting
Re: Uche Ejimofor: The Man Who Handed Kanu His First Professional Contract by allanphash7(m): 7:33pm On Aug 12, 2016
Good
Re: Uche Ejimofor: The Man Who Handed Kanu His First Professional Contract by Tic4tac(m): 7:33pm On Aug 12, 2016
Ok
Re: Uche Ejimofor: The Man Who Handed Kanu His First Professional Contract by saxwizard(m): 7:33pm On Aug 12, 2016
Wow

Meaning dont despise the days of little beginning

10 Likes

Re: Uche Ejimofor: The Man Who Handed Kanu His First Professional Contract by olayinka807: 7:33pm On Aug 12, 2016
smiley
Re: Uche Ejimofor: The Man Who Handed Kanu His First Professional Contract by vanndubi: 7:34pm On Aug 12, 2016
He struggled to find the fees to sign the lad from the amateur club that he had been attached to

He struggled to find the sign on fee of #47k! Still remembered that back page sports of Statesman newspaper that had Senior Nwankwo's sign on story in June 1992.

I don't think he needed to prove him in the field of play. Everybody knew he was a star about glow. He was infact signed on the next day after writing his last SSCE paper!

Senior Nwankwo needs to do something for Holy Ghost College, Owerri too.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Uche Ejimofor: The Man Who Handed Kanu His First Professional Contract by ANBAKO: 7:35pm On Aug 12, 2016
This is the type of people that we need to see in the sport-related agencies and not people like Solomon "incompetent" Dalung or Amaju Pinnick

May God bless you for indirectly giving Nigeria this Hero!!!

Do good for good to come your way!!!

23 Likes 1 Share

Re: Uche Ejimofor: The Man Who Handed Kanu His First Professional Contract by Ymodulus: 7:35pm On Aug 12, 2016
Igbos don't help igbos, why?

He looks poor.

4 Likes

Re: Uche Ejimofor: The Man Who Handed Kanu His First Professional Contract by nijanigga: 7:36pm On Aug 12, 2016
where was Kanu hugging Maradona and what was he telling him? anybody knows?
Re: Uche Ejimofor: The Man Who Handed Kanu His First Professional Contract by FreeWorld23: 7:36pm On Aug 12, 2016
Okay
Re: Uche Ejimofor: The Man Who Handed Kanu His First Professional Contract by goshen26: 7:37pm On Aug 12, 2016
Hmmmm
Re: Uche Ejimofor: The Man Who Handed Kanu His First Professional Contract by hotspec(m): 7:37pm On Aug 12, 2016
My PAPILO of life! May God bless me and u and every hand that like my comment

26 Likes

Re: Uche Ejimofor: The Man Who Handed Kanu His First Professional Contract by emerged01(m): 7:37pm On Aug 12, 2016
Story that touches

2 Likes

Re: Uche Ejimofor: The Man Who Handed Kanu His First Professional Contract by kennyblaze007(m): 7:39pm On Aug 12, 2016
Wow...No man is self made...Someone always bring u up...Oluwa make I helper locate me..And if u on Nairaland and by anyway cn help...Watsapp me on 08163982264...My own na music

6 Likes

Re: Uche Ejimofor: The Man Who Handed Kanu His First Professional Contract by Longevo(m): 7:39pm On Aug 12, 2016
Okay
Re: Uche Ejimofor: The Man Who Handed Kanu His First Professional Contract by Ator008(m): 7:39pm On Aug 12, 2016
that's a living legend... n he also lives an exemplary life
Re: Uche Ejimofor: The Man Who Handed Kanu His First Professional Contract by Tpave(m): 7:42pm On Aug 12, 2016
I am very excited and proud of him

1 Like

Re: Uche Ejimofor: The Man Who Handed Kanu His First Professional Contract by Nobody: 7:44pm On Aug 12, 2016
I hope papillo has reciprocated his gesture by way of cash in areas and even in Advance
Re: Uche Ejimofor: The Man Who Handed Kanu His First Professional Contract by Juliaann(f): 7:46pm On Aug 12, 2016
Ymodulus:

He looks poor.
did you miss this part oga?

robosky02:

Today, Ejimofor works as chairman of Papilo FC, the team that Kanu founded two years ago in order to help talented young footballers in Owerri achieve their dreams of playing professional football.

21 Likes

Re: Uche Ejimofor: The Man Who Handed Kanu His First Professional Contract by AngryNigerian(m): 7:47pm On Aug 12, 2016
...a heart-touching story
Re: Uche Ejimofor: The Man Who Handed Kanu His First Professional Contract by kossyablaze(m): 7:51pm On Aug 12, 2016
Coolie
Re: Uche Ejimofor: The Man Who Handed Kanu His First Professional Contract by kossyablaze(m): 7:51pm On Aug 12, 2016
Ymodulus:

He looks poor.
Yeye

8 Likes

Re: Uche Ejimofor: The Man Who Handed Kanu His First Professional Contract by kossyablaze(m): 7:52pm On Aug 12, 2016
Juliaann:
did you miss this part oga?

u dey mind dat riffraff? He always make tribal comments

12 Likes

Re: Uche Ejimofor: The Man Who Handed Kanu His First Professional Contract by kennynelcon(m): 8:10pm On Aug 12, 2016
Ymodulus:

He looks poor.
Lie
Re: Uche Ejimofor: The Man Who Handed Kanu His First Professional Contract by Nobody: 8:11pm On Aug 12, 2016
Uche Ejimofor of Radio Biafra, no wonder! Names can deceive. Today, Ejimofor works as chairman of Papilo FC, the team that Kanu founded two years ago in order to help talented young footballers in Owerri achieve their dreams of playing professional football.
Re: Uche Ejimofor: The Man Who Handed Kanu His First Professional Contract by yomalex(m): 8:15pm On Aug 12, 2016
WoW
Re: Uche Ejimofor: The Man Who Handed Kanu His First Professional Contract by BoneTackle: 8:18pm On Aug 12, 2016
Ymodulus:
He looks poor.
Almajiri how far?

Have you eaten today?

10 Likes

Re: Uche Ejimofor: The Man Who Handed Kanu His First Professional Contract by Gassa007: 8:25pm On Aug 12, 2016
Ymodulus:

He looks poor.
So you didn't see,where it was written that he is Papillo FC Chairman.... You just want to be noticed.

6 Likes

Re: Uche Ejimofor: The Man Who Handed Kanu His First Professional Contract by Juliaann(f): 8:28pm On Aug 12, 2016
kossyablaze:
u dey mind dat riffraff? He always make tribal comments
LOL grin

Btw kossy I just dey look you

3 Likes

Re: Uche Ejimofor: The Man Who Handed Kanu His First Professional Contract by musicwriter(m): 8:30pm On Aug 12, 2016
I have a 22 years old boy I saw back in the days in a similar situation. He was so good on field that I had to put him in a football academy in Cotonou. A real star!. I mean, he was so good I had to beg him to show me their house so I could talk to the mother to make sure they allow him to play football.

Went to Cotonou the other day and saw him and he's hibernating between football and street hustle because of lack of resources to continue. If anybody know this man should contact me let me handover the guy to him. I'm quite sure he'll be as good as Kanu or even better. In fact, if he doesn't play football he would be a wasted talent.
Re: Uche Ejimofor: The Man Who Handed Kanu His First Professional Contract by kossyablaze(m): 8:32pm On Aug 12, 2016
Juliaann:
LOL grin

Btw kossy I just dey look you
Wetin I do? Abi na my profile pic u dey look? undecided

(1) (2) (Reply)

Chiamaka Nnadozie Named Best Female Goalkeeper In Africa / Ronaldo Scores FOUR Goals To Lead Al-nassr To An Emphatic Victory Over Al-wehda / London Olympics 2012: Mr Bean Steals The Show (Pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.