Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,697 members, 7,816,850 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 06:47 PM

Nigeria Not Worth Dying For- Etim Esin - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Nigeria Not Worth Dying For- Etim Esin (638 Views)

'Genort Rohr Should Live In Nigeria' - Etim Esin, Former Super Eagles Player / Etim ‘Ironbar’ Bassey Is Broke, Fills Potholes In Ajah Lagos. Gofundme Launched / Keshi: You Now Wonder If Nigeria Is Worth Dying For - Austin Eguavoen (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria Not Worth Dying For- Etim Esin by newsrepublique: 7:45pm On Aug 12, 2016
Former Nigeria international, Etim Esin, has blasted that, following the way the late Sam Okwaraji’s family was abandoned since his death, it is not worth dying for Nigeria.

Okwaraji slumped and died on August 12, 1989, during the 1990 FIFA World Cup qualifier between Nigeria and Angola at the National Stadium in Lagos.

Commenting on Okwaraji death, Esin, who also featured against Angola alongside Okwaraji, lamented the way the deceased’s family was abandoned since his death.

“I don’t think Nigeria is worth dying for judging by Sam Okwaraji’s death. At the end of the day there is nothing to gain. We all saw how they abandoned Keshi’s burial,” Esin told Completesportsnigeria.com.

“Even most of my team-mates have forgotten that today is Okwaraji’s remembrance. I would have expected that we come together to organise a tournament for him because most of the kids today might not even know who he is.

“So, it’s sad and pathetic.”

The former Flying Eagles and Super Eagles star called for a stronger players’ union to help in the growth of football in the country.

“With things like this, you begin to imagine what is there for the new generation. Because if we don’t put our house in order, it will affect a lot of generations,” Esin added.

“We just have to step up. Our players union must be taken serious just like it is done in other parts of the world.

“As an ex-footballer, you have a role to play. And you see the ex-footballers working with the media in order to develop the game. But in our own case here, it’s different. ”

He added: “Look at the NPFL All-Stars trip to Spain, does it mean we don’t have legends who should have accompanied the team? Instead you have people who are just there for selfish interests.

“So things like this will not move our football forward. There are people who made our league what it is today. But when we see things like this, it’s discouraging....."Read more on:http://www.newsrepublique.com/okwarajis-27th-anniversary-nigeria-not-worth-dying-for-etim-esin/

1 Share

Re: Nigeria Not Worth Dying For- Etim Esin by cheruv: 7:49pm On Aug 12, 2016
Anybody who dies for Nigeria died truly in vain undecided
Re: Nigeria Not Worth Dying For- Etim Esin by ouzo1(m): 7:50pm On Aug 12, 2016
I better die for my babe than to die for Nigeria even though she go attend my funeral with another guy I no send
Re: Nigeria Not Worth Dying For- Etim Esin by hucienda: 7:52pm On Aug 12, 2016
That one na no-brainer.

Take a look at how they treated Keshi, Amodu and even our fallen heroes loaded at-top a pickup

The least we could do as citizens is to thank them for their service.
Re: Nigeria Not Worth Dying For- Etim Esin by excel101(m): 8:18pm On Aug 12, 2016
newsrepublique:
Former Nigeria international, Etim Esin, has blasted that, following the way the late Sam Okwaraji’s family was abandoned since his death, it is not worth dying for Nigeria.

Okwaraji slumped and died on August 12, 1989, during the 1990 FIFA World Cup qualifier between Nigeria and Angola at the National Stadium in Lagos.

Commenting on Okwaraji death, Esin, who also featured against Angola alongside Okwaraji, lamented the way the deceased’s family was abandoned since his death.

“I don’t think Nigeria is worth dying for judging by Sam Okwaraji’s death. At the end of the day there is nothing to gain. We all saw how they abandoned Keshi’s burial,” Esin told Completesportsnigeria.com.

“Even most of my team-mates have forgotten that today is Okwaraji’s remembrance. I would have expected that we come together to organise a tournament for him because most of the kids today might not even know who he is.

“So, it’s sad and pathetic.”

The former Flying Eagles and Super Eagles star called for a stronger players’ union to help in the growth of football in the country.

“With things like this, you begin to imagine what is there for the new generation. Because if we don’t put our house in order, it will affect a lot of generations,” Esin added.

“We just have to step up. Our players union must be taken serious just like it is done in other parts of the world.

“As an ex-footballer, you have a role to play. And you see the ex-footballers working with the media in order to develop the game. But in our own case here, it’s different. ”

He added: “Look at the NPFL All-Stars trip to Spain, does it mean we don’t have legends who should have accompanied the team? Instead you have people who are just there for selfish interests.

“So things like this will not move our football forward. There are people who made our league what it is today. But when we see things like this, it’s discouraging....."Read more on:http://www.newsrepublique.com/okwarajis-27th-anniversary-nigeria-not-worth-dying-for-etim-esin/
This is a perfect truth. We've all known this fact long ago that the football house doesn't care about both serving and ex players. Just imagine what the dream team VI is going thru in Brazil. However since Etim knew about Okwaraji's remembrance, what effort did he made to gather the ex internationals together b4 yesterday being 12th August(Okwaraji's remembrance). The NFF and likewise the ex internationals are guilty of this. Cos i believe if they start up somethin along this direction people will support them.

(1) (Reply)

Todays Betting Predictions / Red Olympics: 6 Injury Incidents That Shocked Us At Rio. / Video: Manchester United 1 – 2 Manchester City (highlights 2016/17)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.