Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,306 members, 7,811,906 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 11:04 PM

IBB's Call For Part-time Legislature, How We Missed The Valid Point. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / IBB's Call For Part-time Legislature, How We Missed The Valid Point. (699 Views)

Fani-kayode Reacts To Ibb’s Call For Restructuring Of Nigeria / Why We Missed October Deadline To Employ 200,000 – Osinbajo / Babangida Suggests Part Time Legislature For Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

IBB's Call For Part-time Legislature, How We Missed The Valid Point. by KingOfAmebo(m): 7:20am On Aug 17, 2016
Reading through a thread that made front-page yesterday https://www.nairaland.com/3292437/babangida-suggests-part-time-legislature#48541091

Former military president, Gen. Ibrahim Babangida, has called for a part time legislature in order to cut the cost of governance in the country. Babangida made this call on Tuesday while addressing newsmen at an event to mark his 75th birthday‎ in Minna.

But instead of debating on the point raised, we were busy attacking the man.

- Take a brief look at what is budgeted for the Legislature, don't you think it can save millions of Nigerians from poverty,

- Take a look at their job for instance do you think any employer would pay for the number of man hours they put to work?

I don't have to like or hate him but in my opinion I think IBB is right considering our economic situation.

But sadly instead of my fellow Nairalanders to debate on the message they are busy attacking the messenger. This is only evident we are the courses of our many problems...we never learn.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: IBB's Call For Part-time Legislature, How We Missed The Valid Point. by OfficialAwol(m): 7:25am On Aug 17, 2016
That you saw reason in IBB calling for part time legislature has just left me wondering if you are a fellow dinosaur with him.

Where is such practiced. Will it stop looting if they wanna loot? Stop thinking with the old man, dude.
Re: IBB's Call For Part-time Legislature, How We Missed The Valid Point. by KingOfAmebo(m): 7:34am On Aug 17, 2016
OfficialAwol:
That you saw reason in IBB calling for part time legislature has just left me wondering if you are a fellow dinosaur with him.

Where is such practiced. Will it stop looting if they wanna loot? Stop thinking with the old man, dude.

Again you fail to debate on the topic but instead you attack the messenger...did you have a carry over in school? How come it's so difficult for your likes to learn and understand.

It is obvious you don't have a clue on what they earn as allowances for doing virtually nothing. I won't be surprised if you are one of them.

1 Like

Re: IBB's Call For Part-time Legislature, How We Missed The Valid Point. by Khd95(m): 7:35am On Aug 17, 2016
In fact govt should be made less attractive,i don't know how this is going to be done,but I believe it can be done cry undecided

1 Like

Re: IBB's Call For Part-time Legislature, How We Missed The Valid Point. by OfficialAwol(m): 7:42am On Aug 17, 2016
KingOfAmebo:

Again you fail to debate on the topic but instead you attack the messenger...did you have a carry over in school? How come it's so difficult for your likes to learn and understand.

It is obvious you don't have a clue on what they earn as allowances for doing virtually nothing. I won't be surprised if you are one of them.

You are accusing me of ad hominem and yet committing ad hominem by asking if I had carry over in school.

From what you said, you've got issues with their allowances. What happens to a downward review of their allowance structure.

Are you even conversant with the act of legislation?

Just shut up because I'm sensing you are a CHEMIST.
Re: IBB's Call For Part-time Legislature, How We Missed The Valid Point. by PaulIdu: 7:44am On Aug 17, 2016
Nigerians will always miss the point by focusing on tribalism, bigotry and personality hatred
Re: IBB's Call For Part-time Legislature, How We Missed The Valid Point. by socialmediaman: 7:49am On Aug 17, 2016
OP I disagree with you. Part-time legislation will make things worse. It means they have reason to give excuses for not making any meaningful impact. i think Nigerians should invest more time educating fellow Nigerians about what each legislator has contributed since he was elected so their people can make more informed decisions on the leaders they elect, rather than try to invent a new legislative approach which I see as counter productive and only makes the executive more powerful

How is part-time legislation gonna even reduce their constituency development allowance and other unnecessary allowance which are the major reasons why their budget is too high and unsustainable for our economy. These are the real issues we should be talking about, not messing up the system for potential real dedicated legislators aspiring but not getting opportunity due to a rigged system
Re: IBB's Call For Part-time Legislature, How We Missed The Valid Point. by TrutforAfrica: 7:54am On Aug 17, 2016
OfficialAwol:

IBB is not the first Nigerian to call for a part time legislature. Prof. Pat Utomi has been calling for one for many years now and I agree with that view. The legislature in Nigeria serves as a conduit pipe for active looting, and to say the truth, they are already working on part time basis, because they take months off for recess and do very little.

So we have to institutionalise it, so that we can rightly cut their budget and free up more funds for development.

And who said that we can not be the first country in the world to practice it?
Re: IBB's Call For Part-time Legislature, How We Missed The Valid Point. by socialmediaman: 7:58am On Aug 17, 2016
TrutforAfrica:

IBB is not the first Nigerian to call for a part time legislature. Prof. Pat Utomi has been calling for one for many years now and I agree with that view. The legislature in Nigeria serves as a conduit pipe for active looting, and to say the truth, they are already working on part time basis, because they take months off for recess and do very little.

So we have to institutionalise it, so that we can rightly cut their budget and free up more funds for development.

And who said that we can not be the first country in the world to practice it?

how about doing the hard talk on the real reasons why their budget is too inflated?
Re: IBB's Call For Part-time Legislature, How We Missed The Valid Point. by Anwonspee(m): 8:09am On Aug 17, 2016
It's buhari that will like this statement most.

In fact, em belly go dey sweet am
But he doesn't have the guts to do that.
Re: IBB's Call For Part-time Legislature, How We Missed The Valid Point. by onespecial(m): 8:23am On Aug 17, 2016
OfficialAwol:

Yes, such is not practised anywhere but can u please tell us what we have achieved with its practise here in Nigeria. Mention a single project worthy of being proud of done by any legislator nationwide with the constituency allowances they gulp every time. Is it not better we formally accept their part time working periods already and save ourselves some cash and resources we wasre on those individuals against millions who really need the resources.
Re: IBB's Call For Part-time Legislature, How We Missed The Valid Point. by onespecial(m): 8:28am On Aug 17, 2016
socialmediaman:

how about doing the hard talk on the real reasons why their budget is too inflated?

Fact is, they have every right to claims of constituency projrcts, in other words, inflated and never to be done projects must always be budgeted. So the best is, since we do not see this projects more or less standard ones, and they can't even checkmate the executive in Nigeria, it's as good as saying they are no useful to us, scrap them or pity them and make it a part time affair and maybe they will sit up then.
Re: IBB's Call For Part-time Legislature, How We Missed The Valid Point. by TrutforAfrica: 10:02am On Aug 17, 2016
socialmediaman:

A part time legislature will take care of those reasons to a great extend.

The budgeting process is done in a period of few months, once in a year. During that period the spotlight could be properly focused on them, to be sure inflation of the budget is kept at a minimum.
Re: IBB's Call For Part-time Legislature, How We Missed The Valid Point. by socialmediaman: 12:36pm On Aug 17, 2016
TrutforAfrica:

A part time legislature will take care of those reasons to a great extend.

The budgeting process is done in a period of few months, once in a year. During that period the spotlight could be properly focused on them, to be sure inflation of the budget is kept at a minimum.

That means you insinuate legislators' major function is budgeting? How about laws concerning social security, rights of women and children, education and ensuring government responsibility and moderating executive rascality? These are the real reasons they're there. Rather than limiting their powers, We should be talking about taking away all monetary aspects of their job, like constituency allocation and unnecessary allowances. Their business is to make laws and oversee implementations, not project executions. They're abusing their offices and public trust, that's what we should talk about in my opinion. Forget a military dictator who wants unlimited powers for the executive which didn't progress the country in any way during the military era.

(1) (Reply)

Types Of Corruption. / IPDI Warns Military Against Genocide Attacks In Niger Delta Creeks / Photos : NANS Pay Courtesy Visit To Police IGP

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.