Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,220 members, 7,811,616 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 03:44 PM

Alaba Market Closed As Traders Protest Over Obosi - The Sun - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Alaba Market Closed As Traders Protest Over Obosi - The Sun (31725 Views)

Delta Women Protest Over Shops In An Unusual Manner (Photo) / Over 500 Traders Protest Handpicking Of P-G At Ogidi Building Material Market / Alaba Market Boils, Closed As Traders Protest Over Obosi (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Alaba Market Closed As Traders Protest Over Obosi - The Sun by lightheart(m): 11:34am On Aug 17, 2016
Alaba market boils, closed as traders protest over Obosi

The heavy presence of security agents averted what could have been mayhem in Alaba International Market, Ojo, Lagos, yesterday.

Traders in that section of the market, locked their shops to protest the overbearing influence of Chief Azubuike Ekwerekwu, aka Obosi, who they claimed had enslaved them over the years, by forcing them to pay through their noses in matters of security, shops and PSP, among others. They also accused him of ‘manipulating the elected executives’ to exploit them.

The protesters marched to Ojo Police Station carrying placards with different inscriptions like “Obosi must go,” “Obosi has exploited us enough,” “Obosi is our problem,” “Obosi rules market with thugs and in-laws” and “Obosi has enslaved us.”

One of the protesters, Inno, told Daily Sun that, “Obosi is the problem we have in Alaba market.”
According to him, Obosi is too powerful and does not allow the elected members of the market to work. “He is the one who determines whatever each trader will pay. We want the man to leave the traders alone.” Another demonstrator, simply identified as Ken, said they can no more tolerate the overbearing influence of Obosi.
“Take for instance, the Vice President of the Amalgamated Traders Association is his boy. The financial secretary is his boy. The treasurer is his in-law. The public relations officer (PRO) is his brother, the task force chairman is his nephew, the store keeper is from the same town with him and the ward chairman is his boy.”
Another traders, who pleaded anonymity for security reasons, said what brought about the protest was the arrest of the market security chairman identified as Okey by policemen from Ojo Police Station.

This development frayed nerves, and was about to degenerate into chaos, but the traders took their protest to the Ojo Police Division.

President of the Amalgamated Traders Association of Alaba International Market, Emeka Mozoba, bailed Okey and appealed to the traders to go back to the market.
Addressing the traders, Azubuike assured that their freedom had started. He and other leaders were invited to Area E Police Command, Festac Town.
As at about 2.00pm, the traders were yet to open their shops.
http://sunnewsonline.com/alaba-market-boils-closed-as-traders-protest-over-obosi/

2 Likes

Re: Alaba Market Closed As Traders Protest Over Obosi - The Sun by sholikay(m): 11:51am On Aug 17, 2016
hmmmm.. obosi?...one of alaba market most powerful men... I could recall that, someone once narrated an incident where this same "obosi" ordered the whole alaba market or perhaps a particular market section,not to open their shop at a particular date.. he then brought a very expensive car that worth millions of naira to an open place in the same alaba market, then brought out a gun and then sprayed extreme amount of bullets into the car.. he threatened to shoot whosoever go against his order the same way he has done to the car.. (don't know if it is true incident)...

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Alaba Market Closed As Traders Protest Over Obosi - The Sun by lightheart(m): 12:04pm On Aug 17, 2016
sholikay:
hmmmm.. obosi?...one of alaba market most powerful men

So I hear. Dunno if Lalasticlala heard same...

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Alaba Market Closed As Traders Protest Over Obosi - The Sun by Donald3d(m): 12:16pm On Aug 17, 2016
sholikay:
hmmmm.. obosi?...one of alaba market most powerful men... I could recall that, someone once narrated an incident where this same "obosi" ordered the whole alaba market or perhaps a particular market section,not to open their shop at a particular date.. he then brought a very expensive car that worth millions of naira to an open place in the same alaba market, then brought out a gun and then sprayed extreme amount of bullets into the car.. he threatened to shoot whosoever go against his order the same way he has done to the car.. (don't know if it is true incident)...
If its true , then wisdom is getting endangered

39 Likes 1 Share

Re: Alaba Market Closed As Traders Protest Over Obosi - The Sun by okonja(m): 12:45pm On Aug 17, 2016
cheesy cheesy
Re: Alaba Market Closed As Traders Protest Over Obosi - The Sun by goldiam(f): 12:46pm On Aug 17, 2016
Nah their brother dey do dem this time thank God.

62 Likes 1 Share

Re: Alaba Market Closed As Traders Protest Over Obosi - The Sun by shyling(f): 12:47pm On Aug 17, 2016
4 posts 42 views and fp!

yet POLICE COULD LOCK UP PDP CONVENTION CENTRE WHILE ALABA CRISIS REMAINS UNCHECKED

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Alaba Market Closed As Traders Protest Over Obosi - The Sun by Originality007: 12:47pm On Aug 17, 2016
ok
Re: Alaba Market Closed As Traders Protest Over Obosi - The Sun by clevadani: 12:47pm On Aug 17, 2016
Ok
Re: Alaba Market Closed As Traders Protest Over Obosi - The Sun by Nwogeh: 12:48pm On Aug 17, 2016
Take it easy my people
Re: Alaba Market Closed As Traders Protest Over Obosi - The Sun by Lordwize(m): 12:48pm On Aug 17, 2016
Where is that Oboshi pishure sef?

2 Likes

Re: Alaba Market Closed As Traders Protest Over Obosi - The Sun by enigma2007(m): 12:48pm On Aug 17, 2016
shyling:
4 posts 42 views and fp!

It needed to move to FP so that people can plan their journey before they get stuck in the middle of that fracas

11 Likes

Re: Alaba Market Closed As Traders Protest Over Obosi - The Sun by NameChecker: 12:49pm On Aug 17, 2016
Traders in that section of the market, locked their shops to protest the overbearing influence of Chief Azubuike Ekwerekwu, aka Obosi, who they claimed had enslaved them over the years, by forcing them to pay through their noses in matters of security, shops and PSP, among others. They also accused him of ‘manipulating the elected executives’ to exploit them.

I came to check name grin

What will then be the fate of the New Biafra Republic if created?

70 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Alaba Market Closed As Traders Protest Over Obosi - The Sun by amclimax(m): 12:50pm On Aug 17, 2016
obosi na aju uzo!!! akwa maka ife O gwaru O

1 Like

Re: Alaba Market Closed As Traders Protest Over Obosi - The Sun by kingmekus(m): 12:51pm On Aug 17, 2016
I don't even know why I booked this space sef, please anybody that has anything reasonable to say should contact me so that I can transfer right of ownership,just realized this topic is not worth commenting..Ihe na eme ndi Igbo si ha na aka .. Obosi kor Ohozara ni. mtcheeew

2 Likes

Re: Alaba Market Closed As Traders Protest Over Obosi - The Sun by omusiliyu(m): 12:51pm On Aug 17, 2016
All these stupid dramas in Lagos

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Alaba Market Closed As Traders Protest Over Obosi - The Sun by YourNemesis: 12:51pm On Aug 17, 2016
If na Lagos state task force dey come collect tax now, they no go let us hear word. They will be screaming Discrimination and Marginalisation.
But a market tout called "Obosi" have been terrorizing them for years and we are only now beginning to hear about it.
IPOD Hypocrisy.

83 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Alaba Market Closed As Traders Protest Over Obosi - The Sun by Pavore9: 12:52pm On Aug 17, 2016
“Take for instance, the Vice President of the Amalgamated Traders Association is his boy. The financial secretary is his boy. The treasurer is his in-law. The public relations officer (PRO) is his brother, the task force chairman is his nephew, the store keeper is from the same town with him and the ward chairman is his boy.”..........Nepotism at its peak! angry

52 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Alaba Market Closed As Traders Protest Over Obosi - The Sun by OsuIbo: 12:52pm On Aug 17, 2016
I sincerely look forward for the day we Igbos would stop disgracing our tribe in Nigeria. We Igbos are the only one that will leave Igboland and start constituting nuisance in other peoples land.

91 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Alaba Market Closed As Traders Protest Over Obosi - The Sun by Sirwallace(m): 12:53pm On Aug 17, 2016
This is what I called obosiiozation of poor IPOB market.

If your own man can treat you like this in another man land, I wonder what he will do if you perhaps get a sovereign nation of Biafra.

63 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Alaba Market Closed As Traders Protest Over Obosi - The Sun by striker9(m): 12:53pm On Aug 17, 2016
And same people will open there mouth to insult Tinubu yet there own chief made the market his family affairs..shioorrr

76 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Alaba Market Closed As Traders Protest Over Obosi - The Sun by neweraomo: 12:53pm On Aug 17, 2016
I blame him
Re: Alaba Market Closed As Traders Protest Over Obosi - The Sun by Donshemzy1234: 12:54pm On Aug 17, 2016
see has the so called obosi install his people in key palaces

Small time now mek una dey cry say PMB install northerners

39 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Alaba Market Closed As Traders Protest Over Obosi - The Sun by StoneLucifer: 12:55pm On Aug 17, 2016
[quote author=sholikay post=48557391]hmmmm.. obosi?...one of alaba market most powerful men... I could recall that, someone once narrated an incident where this same "obosi" ordered the whole alaba market or perhaps a particular market section,not to open their shop at a particular date.. he then brought a very expensive car that worth millions of naira to an open place in the same alaba market, then brought out a gun and then sprayed extreme amount of bullets into the car.. he threatened to shoot whosoever go against his order the same way he has done to the car.. (don't know if it is true incident)...

We need him in Sambisa Forest...]

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Alaba Market Closed As Traders Protest Over Obosi - The Sun by garriguy: 12:55pm On Aug 17, 2016
Whatever I sow, na im u go reap..
Re: Alaba Market Closed As Traders Protest Over Obosi - The Sun by free2ryhme: 12:55pm On Aug 17, 2016
make dem kukuma kill themselves

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Alaba Market Closed As Traders Protest Over Obosi - The Sun by Cmoyor: 12:56pm On Aug 17, 2016
obosi indeed
Re: Alaba Market Closed As Traders Protest Over Obosi - The Sun by harkynon(m): 12:56pm On Aug 17, 2016
Obosi is very powerful and influential. He owns the shopping complex that gtbank uses. He has a lot of properties in the market. He has NPF backing. He has NPF training aswell. I never knew these igbo marketers could open their blindfolded eye today on him. I think it's a new dawn for the market. The man could kill and walk away with it.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Alaba Market Closed As Traders Protest Over Obosi - The Sun by free2ryhme: 12:57pm On Aug 17, 2016
see nepotism for only one man after una go dey shout buhari is bad

21 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Alaba Market Closed As Traders Protest Over Obosi - The Sun by Nobody: 1:00pm On Aug 17, 2016
shocked

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Alaba Market Closed As Traders Protest Over Obosi - The Sun by Princess4ng(f): 1:00pm On Aug 17, 2016
Mbok I don hear.... Next please

1 Like

Re: Alaba Market Closed As Traders Protest Over Obosi - The Sun by afanide: 1:00pm On Aug 17, 2016
They should maintain peace

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

#10YearsChallenge: Femi Otedola Shares 10 Years Throwback Photo / Non-Ghanaian Retailers Ordered To Leave Ghana Markets In 30 Days / Adire Mall, Abeokuta, Ogun State Set For Commissioning (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.