Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,259 members, 7,818,885 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 07:19 AM

I Won’t Represent Nigeria Again – Usman - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / I Won’t Represent Nigeria Again – Usman (35076 Views)

Ola Aina Cleared By FIFA To Represent Nigeria / Okocha, Babayaro, Amokachi Represent Nigeria At Starsixes (videos Of The Goals) / Denis Adeleye To Represent Nigeria In Morocco Championship (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Won’t Represent Nigeria Again – Usman by tafrica(m): 10:25am On Aug 18, 2016
Even before she left the shores of Nigeria for Brazil, Mariam Usman knew that winning a medal at the Rio 2016 Olympics would be a tough call. She would not pretend to be a magician nor claim perfection where there is none. Usman believes one can only reap where one sows.

The Commonwealth medalist in the +75kg in weightlifting says she has lost the urge to represent Nigeria at international events. Mariam was the only weightlifter that represented Nigeria here in Rio. She competed in the +75 category and amassed 265 kg. She finished 8th in her group.

“It is painful to come to the Olympics and see people who are your contemporaries perform better than you; not because you lack the ability but because you were not prepared like them,” she said, while speaking to reporters at the Games Village, here in Rio. “For me, it is not just about jumping unto the plane every four years to go to the Olympics. Every athlete you see here wants to step on the podium. If you can’t aim to climb up there, you have no business coming to the Olympics. I can only consider going to another Olympics if things change for the better. But if the status quo is maintained, I don’t think I will go to another Olympics again.”

She said training for the Rio Olympics was non-existent while her counterparts from other countries who are competing here in Brazil have been training for three to four years. “Olympic gold medal doesn’t come cheap. It is painful that one has to suffer and when competition comes they expect you to win a medal with your blood. “The people you have to compete with had everything they needed: training grants, competitions and are exposed to the most modern equipment. I had nothing. You don’t expect such people who have invested so much to lose to one who don’t even train adequately.” The African champion said before the 2012 Olympics, she had better training than she did under the current dispensation. “Yes, I feel 2012 was better. I had better training and my result was better. This time nothing was done to better one’s performance.”

Read more at: http://www.vanguardngr.com/2016/08/wont-represent-nigeria-usman/

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Won’t Represent Nigeria Again – Usman by MrOlihilistic: 10:30am On Aug 18, 2016
There is no problem.
at least you are conspired on top 8.

4 Likes

Re: I Won’t Represent Nigeria Again – Usman by madridguy(m): 10:32am On Aug 18, 2016
Ok
Re: I Won’t Represent Nigeria Again – Usman by BiafraBushBoy(m): 10:33am On Aug 18, 2016
If you still believe in this country called Nigeria, then wake from your dreams...

Even pilgrims were funded properly, but athletes were neglected..

God punish past and present presidents Back to Back!!

Amen

282 Likes 13 Shares

Re: I Won’t Represent Nigeria Again – Usman by cutesmilez(f): 11:36am On Aug 18, 2016
Yes, I feel 2012 was better. I had better training and my result was better. This time nothing was done to better one’s performance.”

cry cry cry so touching

145 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I Won’t Represent Nigeria Again – Usman by Nobody: 11:38am On Aug 18, 2016
Lol.... u better come and become alhaja with ur niqab over here.....

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Won’t Represent Nigeria Again – Usman by Nobody: 11:51am On Aug 18, 2016
BiafraBushBoy:
If you still believe in this country called Nigeria, then wake from your dreams...

Amen
Excluding GEJ. Nigeria achieved a lot in sports under his motivating and sensitive administration.

158 Likes 4 Shares

Re: I Won’t Represent Nigeria Again – Usman by P0intBlank(m): 12:11pm On Aug 18, 2016
cutesmilez:
Yes, I feel 2012 was better. I had better training and my result was better. This time nothing was done to better one’s performance.”

cry cry cry so touching

When she and her team won eight gold, three silver and three bronze in the Commonwealth games in 2013, I remember her dedicating that victory to GEJ. They obviously got more support under the last dispensation.

Read more: https://www.naij.com/53295.html

151 Likes 5 Shares

Re: I Won’t Represent Nigeria Again – Usman by BiafraBushBoy(m): 1:10pm On Aug 18, 2016
blueto:
Excluding GEJ. Nigeria achieved a lot in sports under his motivating and sensitive administration.

Maybe tho... Just so sick of this country...

37 Likes 3 Shares

Re: I Won’t Represent Nigeria Again – Usman by Nobody: 1:34pm On Aug 18, 2016
God bless her. so pls let your junior ones go for next Olympic.

3 Likes

Re: I Won’t Represent Nigeria Again – Usman by Nobody: 11:14am On Aug 19, 2016
Lalasticlala, I believe this was the first thread that was created on this topic, in case you assess it as frontpage worthy.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2016/08/wont-represent-nigeria-usman/

1 Like 1 Share

Re: I Won’t Represent Nigeria Again – Usman by Nobody: 12:46pm On Aug 19, 2016
Itz quite painful.the extremely confused Nigerian government do not pay attention to the needs of these athletes and yet expect miracles from them.This is not done anywhere.I don't blame her.naija dey tire pesin sha.methinks it is high time the gov't declare "emergency rule"on sports administration in Nigeria and do the needful in order to avoid another disastrous outing in the next olympics.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Won’t Represent Nigeria Again – Usman by herzern(m): 1:46pm On Aug 19, 2016
cool
Re: I Won’t Represent Nigeria Again – Usman by IffaCatchYouEhn(m): 1:47pm On Aug 19, 2016
[size=15pt]That's what you get when your Minister of Sport has a brain filled with

STRECH MARKS and TETANUS angry angry angry angry angry angry

Awon werey 100%[/size]

78 Likes

Re: I Won’t Represent Nigeria Again – Usman by eleojo23: 1:47pm On Aug 19, 2016
"My fellow Nigerians, let us be grateful to God that in spite of all the challenges faced by our Olympics team at Rio..our country still has 1 gold and 1 silver, Adekunle Gold and Joke Silver."

undecided

42 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I Won’t Represent Nigeria Again – Usman by Richie0974: 1:48pm On Aug 19, 2016
I know she won't be the only one that'll do same, Naija case just tire person.

2 Likes

Re: I Won’t Represent Nigeria Again – Usman by Nobody: 1:48pm On Aug 19, 2016

20 Likes

Re: I Won’t Represent Nigeria Again – Usman by adewumiopeyemi(m): 1:48pm On Aug 19, 2016
cool cool cool MAY GOD HELP US
Re: I Won’t Represent Nigeria Again – Usman by Trillyonaire: 1:49pm On Aug 19, 2016
Et tu 97%?

2 Likes

Re: I Won’t Represent Nigeria Again – Usman by IffaCatchYouEhn(m): 1:49pm On Aug 19, 2016
BiafraBushBoy:

Amen
[size=14pt]All Nigerian president Stupidity was a hit Back to Back [/size]

6 Likes

Re: I Won’t Represent Nigeria Again – Usman by tribalistseun: 1:49pm On Aug 19, 2016
If anyone is useless than buhari,that person should just kill himself.

23 Likes

Re: I Won’t Represent Nigeria Again – Usman by onnenka: 1:50pm On Aug 19, 2016
Buhari the jihadist no get time for sports.

13 Likes

Re: I Won’t Represent Nigeria Again – Usman by danchuzzy(m): 1:50pm On Aug 19, 2016
MrOlihilistic:
There is no problem.
at least you are conspired on top 8.

In her group bros...

IN HER GROUP!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Won’t Represent Nigeria Again – Usman by yeyeboi(m): 1:50pm On Aug 19, 2016
Re: I Won’t Represent Nigeria Again – Usman by naijaboiy: 1:51pm On Aug 19, 2016
I support you Mariam.

Please leave this God forsaken country and look for a better country to represent them. They will even pay you better.

If you remain here your career is dead.

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Won’t Represent Nigeria Again – Usman by gloriousangel7: 1:52pm On Aug 19, 2016
hmmm..ur choice
Thank God is Friday...

FROM ONE COUNTRY TO ANOTHER then am BACK HOME... IT is God that made it POSSIBLE....Hmmm NIRA LAND is really fun there is never a dull moment.with FUN FILL COMMENTS...

1 Like

Re: I Won’t Represent Nigeria Again – Usman by Ximenez(m): 1:52pm On Aug 19, 2016
Don't put the blame of your failure on anybody else but yourself, you could have gone all the up if you have what it takes without the government support, you are a weightlifter. But at the same time shame on the FG for sponsoring pilgrimage and neglecting the Olympians but i still believe that countries like Nigeria that is with so much pressing issues to deal with should be saved the distractions of even the world Cup for now, so they can tidy up the home first. If you had gone all the way to win a medal without support and dedicate it to your country, then you might get some sympathy and love. But what have you done for Nigeria? That's what you should be asking yourself rather thinking of what Nigeria should do for you.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Won’t Represent Nigeria Again – Usman by JaypeeAnics(m): 1:52pm On Aug 19, 2016
Pls don't give up on Nigeria because -Buhari won't be on that sit in d next olympic . Insha Allah/ by God's grace.

5 Likes

Re: I Won’t Represent Nigeria Again – Usman by Fraust40(m): 1:52pm On Aug 19, 2016
Yes...reping name checking

1 Like 1 Share

Re: I Won’t Represent Nigeria Again – Usman by Fraust40(m): 1:53pm On Aug 19, 2016
Go and sit down, make we hear word! No be u follow vote change?
Re: I Won’t Represent Nigeria Again – Usman by Fraust40(m): 1:53pm On Aug 19, 2016
Hmm...change has come... Thank God say na your guy cuz am.
Re: I Won’t Represent Nigeria Again – Usman by Nobody: 1:54pm On Aug 19, 2016
naijaboiy:
I support you Mariam.

Please leave this God forsaken country and look for a better country to represent them. They will even pay you better.

If you remain here your career is dead.

I support this, patriotism is for fools esp a country that doesn't care

11 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Ighalo Scores His First Manchester United Goal To Help Them Reach UEL Last 16 / Alex Iwobi Now Fit, Trains With Super Eagles / Man City Fans Want Iheanacho Back At Etihad

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.