Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,360 members, 7,815,766 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 06:00 PM

Police Uncover Plan To Abduct Arugba During Osun Osogbo Festival - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Police Uncover Plan To Abduct Arugba During Osun Osogbo Festival (16339 Views)

Photos From Osun Osogbo Festival 2018 / Photos From The 2017 Osun Osogbo Festival / Arugba Appears As Osun Osogbo Festival Hots Up (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Police Uncover Plan To Abduct Arugba During Osun Osogbo Festival by Akshow: 7:10pm On Aug 18, 2016
iaminspired:
Iranu
other peoples beliefs is iranu to u?

2 Likes

Re: Police Uncover Plan To Abduct Arugba During Osun Osogbo Festival by ajalawole(m): 7:11pm On Aug 18, 2016
chiefololade:

Go and watch the Yoruba film titled 'arugba'
thaank alot. I will surely get it am from osun, but base in ilorin
Re: Police Uncover Plan To Abduct Arugba During Osun Osogbo Festival by katerine7(f): 7:12pm On Aug 18, 2016
Osun Osogbo festival i want to enjoy, they better not try nonsense

2 Likes

Re: Police Uncover Plan To Abduct Arugba During Osun Osogbo Festival by ajalawole(m): 7:15pm On Aug 18, 2016
Aminat508:

Arugba is a virgin picked from ages 11 or 12 and dedicated to the service of the River goddess Yeye Osun, until she eventually gets matured and settled down.

Usually, she would serve the town for about three to four years before she settles as a woman, but with civilisation and most of them attending schools, the Arugba now serves the town or the River goddess for over ten years,for those picked at tender ages.

Throughout this period, she is denied some self-satisfying acts, which her age-mates enjoy, as her personality, during the festival, is taken over by the dictates of the gods on one side and the people on the other side. Anyone who had witnessed the festival would understand the trivialities of the Arugba.

She is the center of attraction of the entire events, which explained the rationale behind her significance in the festival, because if there is no maiden to bear the calabash, then the main event cannot hold.
thanks alot

1 Like

Re: Police Uncover Plan To Abduct Arugba During Osun Osogbo Festival by Spells(m): 7:17pm On Aug 18, 2016
Aminat508:

Arugba is a virgin picked from ages 11 or 12 and dedicated to the service of the River goddess Yeye Osun, until she eventually gets matured and settled down.

Usually, she would serve the town for about three to four years before she settles as a woman, but with civilisation and most of them attending schools, the Arugba now serves the town or the River goddess for over ten years,for those picked at tender ages.

Throughout this period, she is denied some self-satisfying acts, which her age-mates enjoy, as her personality, during the festival, is taken over by the dictates of the gods on one side and the people on the other side. Anyone who had witnessed the festival would understand the trivialities of the Arugba.

She is the center of attraction of the entire events, which explained the rationale behind her significance in the festival, because if there is no maiden to bear the calabash, then the main event cannot hold.
Thanks for the info... Does it mean e'm all r idol worshipers?
Re: Police Uncover Plan To Abduct Arugba During Osun Osogbo Festival by Aminat508(f): 7:21pm On Aug 18, 2016
Spells:
Thanks for the info... Does it mean e'm all r idol worshipers?
No!! I'm from the state of osun and not interested in the festival...
Re: Police Uncover Plan To Abduct Arugba During Osun Osogbo Festival by iaminspired: 7:24pm On Aug 18, 2016
Akshow:
other peoples beliefs is iranu to u?

cool
MYOB
Re: Police Uncover Plan To Abduct Arugba During Osun Osogbo Festival by Businessideas: 7:25pm On Aug 18, 2016
Aminat508:
No!! I'm from the state of osun and not interested in the festival...
Definitely, you are not from Oshogbo oroki. cool
Re: Police Uncover Plan To Abduct Arugba During Osun Osogbo Festival by Aminat508(f): 7:27pm On Aug 18, 2016
Businessideas:

Definitely, you are not from Oshogbo oroki. cool
Yes I'm!! Oroki asala cheesy

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Police Uncover Plan To Abduct Arugba During Osun Osogbo Festival by SAtoSaiBABA: 7:39pm On Aug 18, 2016
justhelp:
Let them try it and die like chicken. A ki so fun omode ki o ma dete....?

Gbayi..

2 Likes

Re: Police Uncover Plan To Abduct Arugba During Osun Osogbo Festival by teacherbim(f): 7:40pm On Aug 18, 2016
ajalawole:
bro, can u explain to me what is dis arugba. Is she a human being, and whats her duty during the festival. Am from osun, but base and working in ilorin. Dont know much about that Arugba?

You are from Osun and you don't know about Arugba,I reserved my comments

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Police Uncover Plan To Abduct Arugba During Osun Osogbo Festival by adeoba2008(m): 7:49pm On Aug 18, 2016
they want to rape her I suppose ?
Re: Police Uncover Plan To Abduct Arugba During Osun Osogbo Festival by olamilekan360(m): 7:51pm On Aug 18, 2016
Ask4bigneyo:
AregbeSE or Arugba

@ur signature... Do u gv loans to start a business
Re: Police Uncover Plan To Abduct Arugba During Osun Osogbo Festival by Organizer111222(m): 8:13pm On Aug 18, 2016
ibiyemi93:

I agree with you
Re: Police Uncover Plan To Abduct Arugba During Osun Osogbo Festival by Organizer111222(m): 8:14pm On Aug 18, 2016
Police are you sure

Re: Police Uncover Plan To Abduct Arugba During Osun Osogbo Festival by muller101(m): 8:42pm On Aug 18, 2016
Kakamorufu:
they want to face the wrath of osun godess. I pity them big time
osun godess? Have u met her before. If she is so powerful. Then osun should be among one of the outstanding states in the country.
Re: Police Uncover Plan To Abduct Arugba During Osun Osogbo Festival by NaWetinDey(m): 8:59pm On Aug 18, 2016
The Travails Of Arugba

Arugba is a virgin picked from ages 11 or 12 and dedicated to the service of the River goddess Yeye Osun, until she eventually gets matured and settled down. Usually, she would serve the town for about three to four years before she settles as a woman, but with civilisation and most of them attending schools, the Arugba now serves the town or the River goddess for over ten years,for those picked at tender ages.
I did not intend to eulogise the Arugba, but to dissect her lifestyle during and after her reign as the calabash bearing maiden. In about 30 years before now, she is only accorded little or no attention during the festival, as the Ataoja and other chiefs shield her from the public glare, except when she is leading the procession to the groove, on the final day of the festival.
Before the reign of AtaojaOyewaleMatanmi III, Arugbawas a title all maidens ran away from, as they were not only denied basic association rights, but also education. Once one is pronounced the Arugba,such girl loses the right to go to school, then among her peers, she is depicted as being abnormal. She suffers some degrees of discrimination for being the mouth-piece of the goddess.
However, the last Ataoja injected some innovations by encouraging the maiden to attend school, though only at secondary level, as she is not allowed to go schooling outside the town, all in a bid to ‘protect her’ from being abused or losing her virginity, and avoid throwing the town into a fresh search for another scarce maiden. This is simply because many mothers would not encourage their little daughters to go into such covenant with the goddess and risked living an unfulfilled life.
I am of the opinion that the town, through the two council areas, the state or through the Ministry of Culture and Tourism, should take the responsibility of taking care of the Arugba, whose lifestyle is tied to the celebration of the festival. Then it does not appeal to sense that she is eventually abandoned to her life, after she might have decided to settle down for a family life.
A typical civil servant entered into the state of Federal Civil Service at an average age of 28 and retires at the age of 60 years or after 35 years of service, during which he or she has the freedom of association of any kind, while such person is free to make family. But the life of an Arugba begins as early as 12 or 13 and lasted for about 11 to 12 years, though short compared to those in the Federal or State Civil Service, but hers is more restricted, she is not free to engage in family making and people often discriminate her from normal people, especially the male folk.
While researching for this piece, I came in contact with two previous Arugba, it is disgusting to see the condition under which they sustain their livelihood. When I engaged one of them in a serious discussion, I was made to realise that many of the former Arugbas are barely living from hand to mouth, which I believe does not befit their status as former intermediary between the gods and mankind. This situation would prevent young maiden from wanting to keep their nobility for the task, since their lives would not have any form of insurance when they might have concluded their assignments.
The one I saw, her condition was pathetic, she could not be proud of being a formerArugba as it shows in her countenance that she regretted being one and I wonder what might be going on in her mind. She is yet to get married, but her condition reflected absolute poverty and with no hope of getting a better deal any time in the future, because she had only Secondary School Leaving Certificate,without any form of entrepreneurship knowledge that could have been an alternative means of survival, putting it vividly, she had lived her life before her time.
Before the celebration of the last Osun Osogbo Festival, the palace was thrown into confusion about who would bear the calabash, because after the demise of an Ataoja, the compound from which a new monarch emerges, produces a new Arugba; but the controversy surrounding the emergence of the new Ataoja had made it impossible to get a new maiden for the task, hence the decision to persuade the current one to continue with the task for the time being. Thanks to the goddess, she did not turn down the plea, otherwise people would have realised that the Arugba is the core attraction of the festival.
In my candid opinion, the maiden’s office should be taken into cognisance by the two council areas in the state capital, which enjoy the glory the festival brings upon the town and fashion out a way of securing a social ticket for her, whether in form of gainful employment, or like the Kabiyesi, she should be given certain amount of money from the 5 percent due to the monarch from the council’s statutory allocation. After all, the money made from marketing during the festival is not usually accounted for after the festival and in most cases, the Arugba is not considered in the sharing of the accrued funds.
Now that the former Arugbas had begun to realise the mistakes in their past and start having a second thought regarding their manner of living, how long would the people in authority wait to start initiating processes that would ameliorate their condition? Maybe until the town suddenly runs out of options, I mean when an Arugba is not available, as most of the young girls would be looking at the living condition of their predecessors and vow never to live such a wasteful life or a life of regret.
The state government can even wade into the situation by creating an office for the Arugba in the Ministry of Culture and Tourism, where potential past and present Arugba could always come together to fathom out a way of improving some aspects of the festival, with a view to projecting it to the developed world. This would only be one of the many areas where they could be useful to the cultural revolution in the state. They could also be relating their experiences, as well as tutor would-be Arugba on what is expected of them and endear the assignment to young and upcoming virgins, thereby discouraging immorality among young girls.
I think those in positions of authority should be the one to bring about a plan and sustainable change in the way the Arugba survive during and after the assignment bestowed on her for the entire town. We should bear in our minds that the various crises bedeviling our society today are results of forced revolution, due to prolong negligence by those in authority. We should not fold our hands on the pretense that the task is a necessity that must be bored by a virgin because she was chosen by the goddess. We should start thinking about such virgin’s will to reject such assignment and its consequences on the integrity of the festival, monarch, town, state and the country in general before the international community.

POSTED BY: MAKU LOREMIKAN SEPTEMBER 6, 2011
http://www.osundefender.org/?p=19383

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Police Uncover Plan To Abduct Arugba During Osun Osogbo Festival by femi4: 9:15pm On Aug 18, 2016
ajalawole:
bro, can u explain to me what is dis arugba. Is she a human being, and whats her duty during the festival. Am from osun, but base and working in ilorin. Dont know much about that Arugba?
Her duty is to carry the calabash during the festival

Aru + Igba = Arugba (Calabash carrier)
Re: Police Uncover Plan To Abduct Arugba During Osun Osogbo Festival by femi4: 9:18pm On Aug 18, 2016
Kakamorufu:
Osun goddess that was kidnapped and placed in a museum in uk

1 Like

Re: Police Uncover Plan To Abduct Arugba During Osun Osogbo Festival by Kakamorufu(m): 11:00pm On Aug 18, 2016
muller101:
osun godess? Have u met her before. If she is so powerful. Then osun should be among one of the outstanding states in the country.
u no go undastand
Re: Police Uncover Plan To Abduct Arugba During Osun Osogbo Festival by muller101(m): 11:28pm On Aug 18, 2016
Kakamorufu:
u no go undastand
I really need to pls. I love osun people o
Re: Police Uncover Plan To Abduct Arugba During Osun Osogbo Festival by Horluwasegun: 12:04am On Aug 19, 2016
ajalawole:
hmmmmmm. Is it upto that.... Please who can explain to me waht is the duty of Arugba during every osun-osogbo festival please
i Think Arugba Is A Female Virgin That Will Help The Osun's Deliver A Sacrifice To The Osun River goddess, because Ave Watched A Cultural Film Titled Arugba, It Has Been Long I Watched It And What Was Practiced There Is What I Ave Said

1 Like

Re: Police Uncover Plan To Abduct Arugba During Osun Osogbo Festival by Lathunjimi(m): 1:27am On Aug 19, 2016
Y
Babamama:
We are losing our culture and tradition little by little. why must they want to abduct her
Simply because they are believed to be virgins which are scarce to find amongst our girls these days, thanks to our guys who all want to sample their gfs before marriage and later abandon them and our girls too who cannot guard their thing with their life.
Re: Police Uncover Plan To Abduct Arugba During Osun Osogbo Festival by ibkgab001: 2:29am On Aug 19, 2016
And yeast people are beast
Re: Police Uncover Plan To Abduct Arugba During Osun Osogbo Festival by 1village: 4:09am On Aug 19, 2016
WHy?
when would this menace of kidnap end? thank you to the gallant police!
Re: Police Uncover Plan To Abduct Arugba During Osun Osogbo Festival by emmasege: 6:36am On Aug 19, 2016
If this was true, I am suspecting those fanatical Alfas in Osogbo. I don't think the "bad boys" can contemplate that for economic gain, they know their limits. But I know those fanatics have always tried to use violence to quell traditional religious practice in their respective domains in Yoruba land. I remember them always slogging it out with the masquerades in my hometown in Osun state, some years back.
Re: Police Uncover Plan To Abduct Arugba During Osun Osogbo Festival by Kakamorufu(m): 6:38am On Aug 19, 2016
muller101:
I really need to pls. I love osun people o
osun is already powerful naw
Re: Police Uncover Plan To Abduct Arugba During Osun Osogbo Festival by Nobody: 7:12am On Aug 19, 2016
Aminat508:

My friend's dad married the last Arugba. One fine young girl like that.
Re: Police Uncover Plan To Abduct Arugba During Osun Osogbo Festival by Ask4bigneyo(m): 7:41am On Aug 19, 2016
olamilekan360:

@ur signature... Do u gv loans to start a business
No sir! We dont finance starter
Re: Police Uncover Plan To Abduct Arugba During Osun Osogbo Festival by joewhale: 10:58pm On Aug 18, 2017
Kakamorufu:

you don't need to pity them. I laugh at the horrible death they will die. thanks for security

(1) (2) (Reply)

What Aspects Of Our Nigerian Culture Should Be Abolished? / What Language Is Nigeria's Lingua-Franca? / Eze Ndi Igbo Nairaland Cultural Office

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.