Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,862 members, 7,817,545 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:09 PM

Green House Agronomist - Agriculture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Green House Agronomist (40361 Views)

Tomato & Cucumber Seedlings From Borno Green House / Green House Farming: Curbing Tuta Absoluta. The Tomato Headache. / Green House Tomato Production (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Green House Agronomist by obstead200(m): 4:53am On Aug 31, 2016
oladiran2:
@Willie2015 you are not talking like a business man at all. What makes you different from those taking produce to shoprites. Have you even seen where farm harvest have been off loaded at shop rite then you will know that no amount of farmers we have now can still satisfy their demand as long as your harvest is big like those pictures and has good quality. you can't attain quality with open field and you can't get a good market so it's vice versa. So many things can be done to agric produce not to think of exportation and all still come back to quality. They won't cut off your head for walking in there with a sample from your farm and make inquiry nd satisfy whatever they will require from you to be supplying them. The time we are now, agriculture is not just about a mere farming but business as well. You have to incorporate your farming sense to the business one to be successful. Secondly who in this south side of the country and will tell you he or she is growing tomatoes for commercial purpose on open field if he doesn't want to die before his time with debt from bacteria wilt and blight?? That can only be done in the north and they still have issue even with the intensity of their sun. Am sure you were aware about what happened last season with the tuta absoluta which even gave room for more thinking with the need of the importance of a green house. I agree it's expensive but it is a necessity except you are not seeing agric as a business in the world we are today. It's going to be just like an investment. Even if you won't need it, you will even see who to buy back as soon as possible again from you when you get tired of agric which am certain you can't even do.
u have not answered my question.
Can I get that screen cover alone for an affordable price in Nigeria? I will like to build my greenhouse myself cos I don't have 2m to dash Oyibo

1 Like

Re: Green House Agronomist by Preciousseed(m): 12:03pm On Aug 31, 2016
Willie2015:

In rainy season, you will be competing with farmers that are working in Open Field. The four baskets of tomatoes you attached with your comments cant go for more than =N=1,500.00 during rainy season. In dry season, you will still be competing with modern farmers that are in the Open Field that can afford irrigation kits with good water source and can deliver volume to consumers at affordable prices without incurring much capital expenses. You still have to provide for middlemen commission/transport cost in the final analysis.

Usage of green house is cool and desirable, but if you dont have the likes of Shoprites that pays per kilo in your books, I dont see how a farmer can cover his cost even with 2-3 yrs continuous growing. The best bet is to go on open field and have few green house to take of fragile veg.

Have you considered the yield when you use a greenhouse for tomato cultivation vis-a-vis when you do open field? what about pest infestation and pest management in a greenhouse vis-a-vis open field? How about all season season cultivation? Not to mention the variety of tomato.....The truth is that a greenhouse cultivation anyhow you look at it pays far better than open field cultivation. My brother, with greenhouse you will break even in a shorter period than you will with open field! You also have a far higher yield to than open field, minimum pest infestation(if any), proper GAP, higher shelf life of produce, etc. The advantages of a greenhouse over open field can never be compared. My brother, I encourage you to embrace, adopt and practice greenhouse farming over open field!
Re: Green House Agronomist by Willie2015: 9:44pm On Aug 31, 2016
Preciousseed:

Have you considered the yield when you use a greenhouse for tomato cultivation vis-a-vis when you do open field? what about pest infestation and pest management in a greenhouse vis-a-vis open field? How about all season season cultivation? Not to mention the variety of tomato.....The truth is that a greenhouse cultivation anyhow you look at it pays far better than open field cultivation. My brother, with greenhouse you will break even in a shorter period than you will with open field! You also have a far higher yield to than open field, minimum pest infestation(if any), proper GAP, higher shelf life of produce, etc. The advantages of a greenhouse over open field can never be compared. My brother, I encourage you to embrace, adopt and practice greenhouse farming over open field!

I will encourage you to read the book 'The Market Gardener" by Jean Martin Fortier who is making over a $100,000.00 per annum on a 1.5 acre growing vegetables in Canada. You will understand why I advocate for open field and simple green house to handle only fragile vegetables.

=N=2m on a single greenhouse is too expensive, this is outside other expenses like land lease/purchase; appropriate machinery, source of water; labor cost; salaries of staffs; storage costs; transport costs & other miscellaneous expenses. You will run out of business if you dont have clients that can pay per kilo in your books, alternate Markets like Mile 12 & our local mkts etc dont care about your greenhouse paparazzi.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Green House Agronomist by Ademat7(m): 7:19am On Sep 01, 2016
Willie2015:

I will encourage you to read the book 'The Market Gardener" by Jean Martin Fortier who is making over a $100,000.00 per annum on a 1.5 acre growing vegetables in Canada. You will understand why I advocate for open field and simple green house to handle only fragile vegetables.

=N=2m on a single greenhouse is too expensive, this is outside other expenses like land lease/purchase; appropriate machinery, source of water; labor cost; salaries of staffs; storage costs; transport costs & other miscellaneous expenses. You will run out of business if you dont have clients that can pay per kilo in your books, alternate Markets like Mile 12 & our local mkts etc dont care about your greenhouse paparazzi.

confirm! u talking fact,only those who hv started d Biz can understand ur point.
sipping my zobo n suya jare
Re: Green House Agronomist by oladiran2(m): 7:58am On Sep 02, 2016
@willie sorry to say but I doubt if you are an agriculturist nor a business man from your conclusions. You don't limit yourself when you are talking about money my brother. I am sure I will be younger to you and would say these things as well and jump to conclusions like you if am not in the system or haven't seen the difference. There are so many things you don't understand about a green house production to an open field production especially with the yield not to think about management practices because a business man should be concern only with the yield because this is what will determine your income which will be used to correlate to your expenses.. .There is no how you can compare them to each other forgetting the fact you can't plant tomatoes in locations with less sunlight intensity which covers most of the states in Nigeria except north. secondly you can't compare tomatoes to other vegetables. How many people not to go into agricultural people which am sure never heard of some vegetable names like parsley, dill, rocket, couriander, kale, swisschard, Basil, not to talk about eating them. Can anyone do without taking tomatoes and pepper?? I can categorically tell you no but those other vegetables you think you can plant on open field like the ones I mentioned can never command much money to what the tomatoes will give you but having the open field with maximizing the spaces on your farm is just an added income from their sales. You can't have an open field production of tomatoes likevsay in the north and expect big people to buy them from you from mere looking at their sizes. Quality of your produce will determine the kind of market you can even approach. Will someone who want to bring me a sample will bring me the usual small tomatoes from an open field which will definitely be small no matter of the management you gave it and the one from a green house even mere looking you will know and one will be do foolish to pick the small one?? ? It's just common sense when you are talking of breaking even, you make research even if it's to export.the quality will help you with the market sooner.using my father as an example, he was sometimes travelling throughout Nigeria looking for acuaruim fishes which he exports, now he is one of the standard person far away from our place in ogun establishing a PVC construction pipe factory in ilesa, a business man thinks about possibilities and opportunities before too much competitors arise. Now few people have these green houses soon in years to come it will be everywhere and thus market price of produce from it will reduce. Have seen people telling me they thought the tomatoes were even apple from the size.
Green house I agree is expensive but when you are thinking agriculturally and business like?? You should be smarter than saying when you have an investment which can give you more money in terms of returns with high yield with lesser area , easy management practices which is not even possible with open field and all you need is now the business idea to sell your produce. There are so many ways in these world of technology that we are and it's just about you pin pointing that idea. Exportation is there and it's just about browsing, standard hotels around us are there, For instance so many people has these green houses which one can easily walk to and just reach an agreement since they already established a market. I know someone who is not into poultry production because she is scared of the risk involved so what she does is locate people and buy their eggs which she delivers to her own people .this is what feasibility studies are about, make market research instead of looking at the money involved and jumping on conclusion. You can't invest such money and sit at the corner of your balcony expecting to break even without making research. Will you tell me those big hotels in Lagos like eko hotels and the like buy already cooked food? They will definitely go to markets or even malls to get them, you can reduce that stress for them delivering for them when they see that the price to buy at even shop rite is more than the price you will give them with the same quality they would have gotten there, they will for sure want to reduce their expenses. How you compose yourself determines how you will be approach to think you can't walk to any of those places to make inquiry with your yield samples and with a continuous supply because even here that am managing with 10green houses, there are still times where we break the supply chain which is bad for your connection and business because some others are looking for opportunities as well and breaking your supply chain gives room for them. You have to wise up and make best of opportunity. 2.1million minus installation cost is much today who knows what it will be tomorrow just like someone who called me and told me he wanted to buy from a different competing company different from ours some years back and they told him then it's 1.5m by the time he decide to make payment in that same year it has jumped to 1.9m.so when you have a business motive and not just agricultural motives there is no how you will tell me you can't break even on any form of investment you invest in no matter the price.

1 Like

Re: Green House Agronomist by oladiran2(m): 3:52pm On Sep 03, 2016
Happy weekend to everyone.
Re: Green House Agronomist by oladiran2(m): 5:39pm On Sep 05, 2016
Rainbow mix bell pepper and couriander.
Happy new week ahead fellow farmers.

Re: Green House Agronomist by oladiran2(m): 11:34am On Sep 06, 2016
More reasons why a green house production can never be ignored irrespective of the cost of the green house which I believe for an agriculturist and a business man would agree.plants shielded from the heavy rain water/sand splashing which could encourage fungi infestations.A word is enough for a wise farmer who wants to have rest of mind on his farm and quality produce#winks

Re: Green House Agronomist by kengeorge: 1:58pm On Sep 06, 2016
The first and last pic, are not looking as good as the second pic. Are those outside?
Re: Green House Agronomist by oladiran2(m): 12:04am On Sep 07, 2016
The first and last pictures are open field production of California wonders even under management, they were still not spared from mites, thrips and other insects resulting into economic waste, waste of energy with no returns, waste of money and agrochemicals, the huge importance of the green house can never be overlooked even as expensive as it is for not just an agriculturist but also a business man who is into farming especially vegetables for profit and not just for the sake of been seen as a farmer.as an agronomist and know well the agronomy of these vegetables like dill, kale, couriander, pasley spring onions, basil, lettuce, spinach and others who do well on open field but how much do you think those vegetables can fetch you?even water melon and cucumber still struggles.when you see cucumbers planted in a green house to the one on open field then anyone glamouring that he/she would prefer open field because of the cost of a green house will have a change of mind instantly.you can only use them as a secondary source of income in maximizing your land and prefer to have them filled with other vegetables that can be grown like d listed ones instead of having grasses around.tomatoes and pepper will give you d bulk of your income because of their level of consumption and for someone to even be entertaining a thought of planting in open field within the southern part of the country is jux going to be like one digging his own grave.i decide to upload those differences for more clarifications, with your green house and having an effective management and accountability you wud have even break even before you realized.
Our kit is 24mx10m(240 square meters)
Feel free to get in touch for more info on the green house structure with other inputs inclusive and consultancy.
Oladipupo (08033981254)

Re: Green House Agronomist by oladiran2(m): 4:30pm On Sep 07, 2016
Hello to everyone
Re: Green House Agronomist by oladiran2(m): 8:57am On Sep 10, 2016
Happy weekend to everyone on this thread an beyond#ProudlyFarmer#ProudAgronomist

1 Like

Re: Green House Agronomist by Kalusam(m): 6:56pm On Sep 12, 2016
Great book and his models make so much sense! They attained to that stage after some years though but worth the wait!
Willie2015:

I will encourage you to read the book [b]'The Market Gardener" [/b]by Jean Martin Fortier who is making over a $100,000.00 per annum on a 1.5 acre growing vegetables in Canada. You will understand why I advocate for open field and simple green house to handle only fragile vegetables.

Re: Green House Agronomist by Kalusam(m): 6:57pm On Sep 12, 2016
Great book and his models make so much sense! They attained to that stage after some years though but worth the wait!
Willie2015:

Re: Green House Agronomist by oladiran2(m): 10:00pm On Sep 12, 2016
New kit tomatoes at 6weeks after transplanting. Right on track.Happy festival to my Muslim farmers#ProudlyFarmer#ProudlyAgronomist

Re: Green House Agronomist by oladiran2(m): 7:46am On Sep 15, 2016
Good morning everyone
Re: Green House Agronomist by oladiran2(m): 9:46am On Sep 16, 2016
California wonder at their 6WAT with 2 more weeks to go for the first harvest and at a perfect weight.imagine the joy it creates in you seeing your plants bringing out your hard effort#ProudlyGreenHouseAgronomist#ProudlyFarmer.

Re: Green House Agronomist by bry8ted(m): 1:11pm On Sep 16, 2016
whre is your farm located?
Re: Green House Agronomist by oladiran2(m): 2:53pm On Sep 17, 2016
Happy weekend you everyone
Re: Green House Agronomist by jjblues(m): 6:37pm On Sep 17, 2016
Hi Oladiran , Is it determinates or indeterminate species of tomatoes
Re: Green House Agronomist by oladiran2(m): 9:51pm On Sep 17, 2016
Indeterminate EVA F1
Re: Green House Agronomist by Nobody: 10:34pm On Sep 17, 2016
Shine agronomist!
Re: Green House Agronomist by oladiran2(m): 7:27am On Sep 19, 2016
Good morning and happy new week ahead
Re: Green House Agronomist by oladiran2(m): 8:18am On Sep 20, 2016
Journey looks rough but God has been there all through#Farmer#CropPhysiologist#GreenHouseAgronomist#itsbeenGodalltheway#SaroAfrica#NoFarmerNoNation.

1 Like

Re: Green House Agronomist by oladiran2(m): 11:55am On Sep 21, 2016
Open field production of Kale spring onions, spinach which are some of the vegetables I already listed doing well on open field with effective management and personal trial on survivability of habanero on open field outside the green house.california wonder a tomatoes already ruled out.agric is fun seeing your plants doing well after so much effort#CropPhysiologist#GreenHouseAgronomist#SaroAfrica#NoFarmerNoNation#ProudlyFarmer

2 Likes

Re: Green House Agronomist by oladiran2(m): 6:12pm On Sep 22, 2016
Thank God for today's work, getting there.
Re: Green House Agronomist by Munzy14(m): 9:37pm On Sep 22, 2016
REUBEN010:

Pls help with the common name of that variety of chilli pepper in the 4th picture above.
it is called caspicum.sweet pepper
Re: Green House Agronomist by oladiran2(m): 8:53pm On Sep 23, 2016
All pepper are capsicum but that variety is the califonia wonders(sweet pepper)
Re: Green House Agronomist by oladiran2(m): 8:55pm On Sep 23, 2016
It's the California wonders(sweet pepper)
Re: Green House Agronomist by oladiran2(m): 2:40pm On Sep 24, 2016
Nigeria senate finally debating on agriculture, recession is finally taking us there.
Re: Green House Agronomist by oladiran2(m): 7:47am On Sep 26, 2016
Good morning everyone.
Re: Green House Agronomist by oladiran2(m): 4:09pm On Sep 26, 2016
Doing what I know how to do best, New kit in progress.get in touch for your consultancy on your farm/green house management nationwide, start ups and trainings on tomatoes, pepper and other vegetables' production with their protection and nutrition(08033981254/07051757791)#ProudlyFarmer#GreenHouseAgronomist#SaroAfricaAgrosciencesLtd#NoFarmerNoNation.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply)

Setting Up A Small But Very Effective Garri Processing Plant / Reasons Why Most Nigerians Fail In Poultry Farming Business / Eagle Farms And Cattle Ranch In Anambra- Pictures

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.