Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,839 members, 7,810,226 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 12:52 AM

Why Is Imported Frozen Chicken Cheaper Than Live Chicken In Nigeria? - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Why Is Imported Frozen Chicken Cheaper Than Live Chicken In Nigeria? (4741 Views)

Goat Meat As A Healthier Choice Than Imported Frozen Fish, Chicken And Turkey / Made In Nigeria Frozen Chicken / Carton Of A Frozen Chicken (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Is Imported Frozen Chicken Cheaper Than Live Chicken In Nigeria? by kayo80(m): 3:20pm On Aug 21, 2016
I have always wondered why this is so. Why is frozen chicken cheaper than live chicken in Nigeria even though the frozen chicken is from another country and cost of transportation has also been factored in. Even with all that, frozen chicken is still relatively cheap. Why is that? I am asking cos I am thinking of rearing chickens, freezing them, and exporting to other countries.
Re: Why Is Imported Frozen Chicken Cheaper Than Live Chicken In Nigeria? by smellingmenses: 3:22pm On Aug 21, 2016
Because they are pumped with chemical and genetically modified to grow in a few days.... Local chicken or free range chicken is the best

3 Likes

Re: Why Is Imported Frozen Chicken Cheaper Than Live Chicken In Nigeria? by kayo80(m): 3:25pm On Aug 21, 2016
smellingmenses:
Because they are pumped with chemical and genetically modified to grow in a few days.... Local chicken or free range chicken is the best

Okay. I understand. But how many people eat local chicken or free range chicken in Nigeria? I am looking to make big money from poultry, but people don't buy live chicken all year round like that. They prefer to buy frozen chicken, and only buy live chicken during festive periods. But, wait, can chickens actually grow to maturity in days as you insinuated?
Re: Why Is Imported Frozen Chicken Cheaper Than Live Chicken In Nigeria? by smellingmenses: 3:32pm On Aug 21, 2016
kayo80:

Okay. I understand. But how many people eat local chicken or free range chicken in Nigeria? I am looking to make big money from poultry, but people don't buy live chicken all year round like that. They prefer to buy frozen chicken, and only buy live chicken during festive periods. But, wait, can chickens actually grow to maturity in days as you insinuated?
Yes they can and also cause several diseases especially cancer and kidney failure.

People find it difficult to get free range chicken.... People buy live chicken all year round...depends on your location
Re: Why Is Imported Frozen Chicken Cheaper Than Live Chicken In Nigeria? by frisky2good(m): 3:39pm On Aug 21, 2016
Stop saying what you don't know. Tell me the chemical that makes chicken cheaper to raise. If you have ever seen the stress it takes to inject growth hormones in animals, you will realize it is not possible to carry out such a project on chicken. As for genetically modified chicken, are broilers not genetically modified? That is the exact meat producing chicken raised everywhere in the world including Nigeria. What makes theirs cheaper is access to very low interest and easy loans. Give a lot of farmers on nairaland 1 million Naira loan at 2% interest rate and watch the price of chicken fall within 6 months.

smellingmenses:

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Is Imported Frozen Chicken Cheaper Than Live Chicken In Nigeria? by smellingmenses: 3:42pm On Aug 21, 2016
[s]
frisky2good:
Stop saying what you don't know. Tell me the chemical that makes chicken cheaper to raise. If you have ever seen the stress it takes to inject growth hormones in animals, you will realize it is not possible to carry out such a project on chicken. As for genetically modified chicken, are broilers not genetically modified? That is the exact meat producing chicken raised everywhere in the world including Nigeria. What makes theirs cheaper is access to very low interest and easy loans. Give a lot of farmers on nairaland 1 million Naira loan at 2% interest rate and watch the price of chicken fall within 6 months.

[/s]
You can still pass a message across without insults. Meanwhile you should stick to what you know.

3 Likes

Re: Why Is Imported Frozen Chicken Cheaper Than Live Chicken In Nigeria? by kayo80(m): 3:45pm On Aug 21, 2016
smellingmenses:

Yes they can and also cause several diseases especially cancer and kidney failure.

People find it difficult to get free range chicken.... People buy live chicken all year round...depends on your location

Hmm! I find this hard to believe. I have spoken to many people about this, and get the same answer- people don't buy live chicken all year round. Please tell me one location in Nigeria where people buy live chicken all year round.
Re: Why Is Imported Frozen Chicken Cheaper Than Live Chicken In Nigeria? by smellingmenses: 3:48pm On Aug 21, 2016
kayo80:

Hmm! I find this hard to believe. I have spoken to many people about this, and get the same answer- people don't buy live chicken all year round. Please tell me one location in Nigeria where people buy live chicken all year round.
I know of Dutse market
Also Sango/Mokola market.... You have to provide the means of preparing the chicken at an extra cost clients will be happy to pay i.e. a hundred naira... You slaughter and remove the feathers also split it in pieces as they desire....

2 Likes

Re: Why Is Imported Frozen Chicken Cheaper Than Live Chicken In Nigeria? by frisky2good(m): 3:53pm On Aug 21, 2016
STOP SAYING WHAT YOU DON'T KNOW is not an insult because it is obvious you don't know how they are able to raise chicken cheaply. Only growth hormones can make a reasonable difference in animals and it cannot be administered orally. It has to be injected. You can inject cows, pigs etc but chickens, NO. How do you inject every chicken 2 or 3 times daily? The only chemicals given to chicken is multivitamins. If you think I am wrong, mention the "chemical" used.

smellingmenses:

You can still pass a message across without insults. Meanwhile you should stick to what you know.

2 Likes

Re: Why Is Imported Frozen Chicken Cheaper Than Live Chicken In Nigeria? by kayo80(m): 4:04pm On Aug 21, 2016
smellingmenses:

I know of Dutse market
Also Sango/Mokola market.... You have to provide the means of preparing the chicken at an extra cost clients will be happy to pay i.e. a hundred naira... You slaughter and remove the feathers also split it in pieces as they desire....

Hmm! True. I will look into this. Thanks. And are you talking about the Sango in Lagos, or the one in Ibadan?
Re: Why Is Imported Frozen Chicken Cheaper Than Live Chicken In Nigeria? by smellingmenses: 4:07pm On Aug 21, 2016
kayo80:

Hmm! True. I will look into this. Thanks. And are you talking about the Sango in Lagos, or the one in Ibadan?
Ibadan

1 Like

Re: Why Is Imported Frozen Chicken Cheaper Than Live Chicken In Nigeria? by kayo80(m): 4:12pm On Aug 21, 2016
smellingmenses:

Ibadan

Okay. Thanks. I actually live in Ibadan. I will look into this. I wonder how much they sell live chickens in Sango.
Re: Why Is Imported Frozen Chicken Cheaper Than Live Chicken In Nigeria? by Chinks(m): 7:10pm On Aug 21, 2016
it's possible to get live chickens all year round. I reside in Minna, Niger State.
Re: Why Is Imported Frozen Chicken Cheaper Than Live Chicken In Nigeria? by kayo80(m): 7:57pm On Aug 21, 2016
Chinks:
it's possible to get live chickens all year round. I reside in Minna, Niger State.

I know it is possible to get live chicken all year round, but is it possible to sell it all year round and make good money?
Re: Why Is Imported Frozen Chicken Cheaper Than Live Chicken In Nigeria? by Mustack: 3:59am On Aug 22, 2016
The exchange rate differs as well
Re: Why Is Imported Frozen Chicken Cheaper Than Live Chicken In Nigeria? by obstead200(m): 7:03pm On Nov 12, 2016
frisky2good:

at the bolded,
It is not all about money.
Give someone like u 1billion naira at zero interest to start a poultry farm and u will still not make headway.
It is about technology. It is about infrastructure (constant power supply) It is about economics of scale in production. Most of these farmers abroad grow their own feed using improved seeds that can yield 10tons per hectare and above. This drastically reduces feeding costs.
When u take care of feed cost, the remaining cost of raising a bird is not up to 5% if u have good mgmt practices.
NB: growing corn and soya requires land, good technology, irrigation and good seed.
But land is key. Enough land to grow soya and maize beyond the quantity requires for human consumption.

3 Likes

Re: Why Is Imported Frozen Chicken Cheaper Than Live Chicken In Nigeria? by obstead200(m): 7:11pm On Nov 12, 2016
kayo80:

In owerri, every Saturday and Sunday, the chicken area is full of people buying and slaughtering chickens.
Of course as a seller, u won't make as much profit as u may make during festive periods, but u will definitely sell. These days, it seems pple tend to prefer live chicken cos of the videos going viral about frozen (imported) chicken. The only pple who buy frozen chicken are those who are using it for wedding and catering services (naija sense)

1 Like

Re: Why Is Imported Frozen Chicken Cheaper Than Live Chicken In Nigeria? by kayo80(m): 7:25pm On Nov 12, 2016
obstead200:

In owerri, every Saturday and Sunday, the chicken area is full of people buying and slaughtering chickens.
Of course as a seller, u won't make as much profit as u may make during festive periods, but u will definitely sell. These days, it seems pple tend to prefer live chicken cos of the videos going viral about frozen (imported) chicken. The only pple who buy frozen chicken are those who are using it for wedding and catering services (naija sense)

Okay. But do you have an idea how much they sell live chicken in the market?
Re: Why Is Imported Frozen Chicken Cheaper Than Live Chicken In Nigeria? by 222Martins(m): 7:57pm On Nov 12, 2016
obstead200:

You are right. I buy live chicken on regular basis at Relief Market, Owerri and i must confess that i marvel at the number of fowls butchered in that market daily.
Re: Why Is Imported Frozen Chicken Cheaper Than Live Chicken In Nigeria? by 222Martins(m): 8:02pm On Nov 12, 2016
kayo80:

Okay. But do you have an idea how much they sell live chicken in the market?
There is no fixed price. Everything depends on the size of the fowl in question and your negotiating power. I buy fairly large broilers for prices ranging between N2,500 and N3,500; depending on size, and get it butchered/cleaned up for just N100. grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Why Is Imported Frozen Chicken Cheaper Than Live Chicken In Nigeria? by mfm04622: 8:40pm On Nov 12, 2016
Th reason chicken cost more in Nigeria is very simple! The high cost of corn which is the main component of poultry feed. The high cost of corn is due to poor yield farmers experience which is due to poor farming practice and unavailability or high cost of fertiliser. It is really a chain!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Is Imported Frozen Chicken Cheaper Than Live Chicken In Nigeria? by kayo80(m): 8:41pm On Nov 12, 2016
222Martins:
There is no fixed price. Everything depends on the size of the fowl in question and your negotiating power. I buy fairly large broilers for prices ranging between N2,500 and N3,500; depending on size, and get it butchered/cleaned up for just N100. grin grin grin grin

Okay. Thanks.

(1) (Reply)

Lets Go Beekeeping / Sweet Potato Flour(Wholesale and Retail) / Can You Grow For Me?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.