Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,487 members, 7,819,761 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 10:40 PM

How We Intend To Stop Inconclusive Elections — INEC - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / How We Intend To Stop Inconclusive Elections — INEC (4215 Views)

INEC Responds To Augustine Alegeh's Allegation On Inconclusive Elections / PDP May Not Participate In Edo Guber Elections, INEC Warns / Rivers Rerun: PDP Berates INEC Over The Spate Of Inconclusive Elections (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How We Intend To Stop Inconclusive Elections — INEC by Oasis007(m): 6:19am On Aug 22, 2016
ABUJA— The Independent National Electoral Commission, INEC, is to propose amendments to its guidelines to stem the spate of inconclusive elections through removing the eight million uncollected Permanent Voter Cards from its assessment of elections in the country.

Speaking to newsmen, weekend, INEC chairman, Prof. Mahmood Yakubu, also denied claims that it had received legal advice from the Attorney General of the Federation on legal knots that followed the inconclusive governorship election in Kogi State and the judicial tango that followed the court judgment on Abia State governorship election.

Yakubu, who was flanked by a national commissioner, Prince Adedeji Soyebi, and Director of Voter Education and Publicity, Oluwole Osaze-Uzzi, also disclosed that the commission had, under his watch, conducted 137 re-run elections flowing from the 680 court cases filed against the commission after the 2015 elections.

Yakubu also lamented the avalanche of litigations facing the commission, and in an apparent reference to the ongoing crisis in the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, noted that the party had in the last three months been faced with 11 court orders from courts of coordinate jurisdiction, many of which were contradictory.

Noting concerns that the use of total number of registered voters against the use of total number of PVCs collected widened the base for the assessment of elections, Prof. Yakubu said: “It is true that only those who have collected the PVCs can vote, but our guidelines formulated on the Electoral Act only talk about the total number of registered voters in a constituency.

“It is in the guidelines, and we can amend the guidelines. But we cannot amend the guidelines in the middle of an election so that nobody will accuse me of changing the goal post during the election.

“Maybe after we dispose off, particularly these re-run elections, there will be an opportunity in full consultation with the stakeholders to revisit those guidelines.”

He disclosed that there were currently an estimated eight million uncollected PVCs in the country as he said repeated efforts to get the owners to pick them had been largely ineffectual.

Yakubu said the commission would deepen the use of technology and give legal backing to the use of the smart card reader through the amendment of the Electoral Act.

Denies consulting AGF on Kogi

or any matter

Yakubu flatly denied the claim that the Attorney General of the Federation, AGF, Mr. Abubakar Malami, SAN, gave advice to the commission on some knotty issues it had faced, particularly on the stalemated governorship election in Kogi and the court decision on Governor Okezie Ikpeazu of Abia State.

He said: “Some people have castigated the commission for relying on the advice of the Attorney General of the Federation in the case of the Kogi election.

“We never sought clarification from the Attorney General of the Federation, we never. In this country, the Attorney General is also the Minister of Justice; so he is the chief law officer of the country, but he is also a political office holder. An independent commission like INEC should not be seen to be relying on the advice of a political office holder. I have never spoken to the Attorney General.”

Yakubu said.

He also said the commission had made a recommendation to the appropriate authority on filling the vacancies in the commission. He disclosed that there were presently six vacancies in the ranks of national commissioners and 21 in the level of Resident Electoral Commissioners.

Noting with concern the spate of conflicting judicial orders and judgments the commission has had to grapple with, he said on the impasse in the PDP:

“In the last three months, we have been served 11 judgments and orders interestingly from courts of coordinate jurisdiction operating from three cities of the country on one issue and almost all of them contradictory. It started from Lagos, Port-Harcourt and to Abuja.”

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2016/08/intend-stop-inconclusive-elections-inec/?utm_source=&utm_medium=twitter

Re: How We Intend To Stop Inconclusive Elections — INEC by AlPeter: 6:29am On Aug 22, 2016
Goood some folks won't be happy after attacking the man for honestly and bluntly coming out with the truth, forgetting that the first step to problem is IDENTIFY THE PROBLEM. It's such a pity that honesty in the country is no more appreciated by some disgruntled folks they would rather prefer bare faced lies.

6 Likes

Re: How We Intend To Stop Inconclusive Elections — INEC by STARGREEN(m): 6:46am On Aug 22, 2016
Very nice if that will lead to conclusive election considering high cost of running it.

1 Like

Re: How We Intend To Stop Inconclusive Elections — INEC by Oasis007(m): 6:51am On Aug 22, 2016
Lalasticlala, Mynd44...... time to do the needful for the sake of worried Nigerians over INEC inconclusive Elections!!

1 Like

Re: How We Intend To Stop Inconclusive Elections — INEC by CriticMaestro: 8:36am On Aug 22, 2016
Owk ehn..but are pvc's being used in the north west? Where buhari with his pigs and piglets conjured upto 1.6 million votes in katsina alone? Huh

6 Likes

Re: How We Intend To Stop Inconclusive Elections — INEC by anungangampu: 8:43am On Aug 22, 2016
The heading should be We Intend to Start and continue inconclusive Elections given that we want APC to win all political post in the country.

1 Like

Re: How We Intend To Stop Inconclusive Elections — INEC by NairaMaster1(m): 8:45am On Aug 22, 2016
undecided undecided

Re: How We Intend To Stop Inconclusive Elections — INEC by Osama10(m): 8:46am On Aug 22, 2016
There was an existing template you guys met & which was working, what happened to that template?
Re: How We Intend To Stop Inconclusive Elections — INEC by NairaMaster1(m): 8:46am On Aug 22, 2016
AlPeter:
Goood some folks won't be happy after attacking the man for honestly and bluntly coming out with the truth, forgetting that the first step to problem is IDENTIFY THE PROBLEM. It's such a pity that honesty in the country is no more appreciated by some disgruntled folks they would rather prefer bare faced lies.
alhaji peter

4 Likes

Re: How We Intend To Stop Inconclusive Elections — INEC by Mikehell(m): 8:48am On Aug 22, 2016
Osama10:
There was an existing template you guys met & which was working, what happened to that template?

He want to invent his own template to suit his need... cool
Re: How We Intend To Stop Inconclusive Elections — INEC by hexy40: 8:48am On Aug 22, 2016
This country's government and positive talk and negative actions. I don't know about the rest of Nigeria, but I know that in over owerri if APC successful riggs any election it is conclusive but when they fail it becomes inconclusive and there will be a re-run.

2 Likes

Re: How We Intend To Stop Inconclusive Elections — INEC by anungangampu: 8:50am On Aug 22, 2016
hexy40:
This country's government and positive talk and negative actions. I don't know about the rest of Nigeria, but I know that in over owerri if APC successful riggs any election it is conclusive but when they fail it becomes inconclusive and there will be a re-run.
Don't mind them... Who takes Inec serious.... Election success goes to the highest bidder... Tell me whats too hard to announce Okigwes election winner.. Agu otu aKa is Largely supported by the people but Inec wants to impose an ApC candidate to them.. This the 2nd time they are cancelling a peaceful election just because who they don't like won...

Will Nigeria ever be better as one.

2 Likes

Re: How We Intend To Stop Inconclusive Elections — INEC by hexy40: 8:52am On Aug 22, 2016
AlPeter:
I recently learnt that APC pay people to make them look good on social media, please if u have such connect Pm me I need I job
Re: How We Intend To Stop Inconclusive Elections — INEC by Orjioorji(f): 8:57am On Aug 22, 2016
stupid government and their incompetency
Re: How We Intend To Stop Inconclusive Elections — INEC by JaypeeAnics(m): 9:02am On Aug 22, 2016
You can't stop it Under Buhari/APC regime. You have to keep living with your name- Inconclusive National Electoral Commision. Its your trade mark.
If Apc looses an election, it becomes inconclusive, if Apc wins it becomes conclusive.
Re: How We Intend To Stop Inconclusive Elections — INEC by GoldenJAT(m): 9:02am On Aug 22, 2016
2 eat eba 4 morning swt oo!
Re: How We Intend To Stop Inconclusive Elections — INEC by drss2(m): 9:02am On Aug 22, 2016
inconclusive elections is a sign of free n fair election. - inec
we ar working on amendments to PREVENT inconclusive elections. - inec.
if inconclusive elections is good, why work against it
directionless inec with directionle pipul under a directionaless govt of buari dullard.
Re: How We Intend To Stop Inconclusive Elections — INEC by chimauga(m): 10:00am On Aug 22, 2016
A p c are like

Re: How We Intend To Stop Inconclusive Elections — INEC by budusky05(m): 10:26am On Aug 22, 2016
Nice move.

Re: How We Intend To Stop Inconclusive Elections — INEC by AlPeter: 11:37am On Aug 22, 2016
hexy40:
I recently learnt that APC pay people to make them look good on social media, please if u have such connect Pm me I need I job
paid? Nah, just want to making some 'COMMON SENSE'.

(1) (Reply)

Anambra Election: APC Blasts Southeast Leaders / Notice To All Buhari, Osinbajo, Tinubu, And APC Supporters. / Jubilations For Biafrans As Nnamdi Kanu Records Another Huge Success On Biafra

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.