Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,774 members, 7,809,990 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:25 PM

How African Countries Performed At Rio 2016 Olympics - Sports (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / How African Countries Performed At Rio 2016 Olympics (42472 Views)

Efe Ajagba Knocks Nigel Paul Out In Round One in 23 Seconds At RIO Olympics / katsuyatakasu, A Japanese To Reward Nigerian Players At Rio Olympics (picture) / Chierika Ukogu Representing Nigeria At Rio 2016 Olympics (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How African Countries Performed At Rio 2016 Olympics by flyca: 1:25pm On Aug 22, 2016
So how are we or did we become the giant of Africa?

2020 Olympians are already training o. 3 weeks to event, we will arrange passersby for excusion again in Japan. Ninxix angry

4 Likes

Re: How African Countries Performed At Rio 2016 Olympics by Nobody: 1:26pm On Aug 22, 2016
MtuFulani:
Looks like Kenya is ahead of the pack yet again. The "Giant of Africa" with 200 plus million people scrambled for a pathetic bronze medal grin They were all busy here on Nairaland talking crap about Kenya and SA instead of working towards improving their toilet of a country. Shame on you Nigeria. You are a hideous blemish on the motherland. #Giant Armpit of Africa

WTF shocked shocked shocked
Re: How African Countries Performed At Rio 2016 Olympics by omojeesu(m): 1:26pm On Aug 22, 2016
YOU REAP WHAT YOU SOW.

CONGRATS TO SIASIA AND HIS TEAM!

SHAME ON NFF AND SPORTS MINISTRY AND MINISTER.

SHAME ON THE FGN.

MAY ALMIGHTY GOD DELIVER US.

MAY HE INSPIRE TRUE LEADERS TO ARISE.

MAY HE MAKE A WAY FOR THEM AND MOVE THE PEOPLE TO SELECT / ELECT THE RIGHT PEOPLE TO LEAD US.

2 Likes

Re: How African Countries Performed At Rio 2016 Olympics by ventilation: 1:27pm On Aug 22, 2016
All hail giANT of Africa with just 1 bronze grin total failure country.
Re: How African Countries Performed At Rio 2016 Olympics by Nobody: 1:30pm On Aug 22, 2016
Yesterday I saw a Nigerian win a silver medal in taekwando. If he didn't win it for Nigeria, was it Libya he represented? I thought it was a mistake hearing the announcers call him Nigerian but another country's flag flash on the screen. The athlete even had a Hausa name but funny enough found English-speaking a grueling task.
Re: How African Countries Performed At Rio 2016 Olympics by successinlife: 1:38pm On Aug 22, 2016
MtuFulani:
Looks like Kenya is ahead of the pack yet again. The "Giant of Africa" with 200 plus million people scrambled for a pathetic bronze medal grin They were all busy here on Nairaland talking crap about Kenya and SA instead of working towards improving their toilet of a country. Shame on you Nigeria. You are a hideous blemish on the motherland. #Giant Armpit of Africa

It is a pity we are where we are but population or developments doesn't mean you will do well at world sports,please how many medals is won by Portugal,Finland,Norway?i will not mention few african countries that also perform woefully.The problem is that some countries have sporting culture while others do not.Nigeria is indeed a sport endowed nation but lack of proper developent is making us to struggle.Do your research very well,you will see Nigerians and other african naturalised athletes win medals for other countries while their native country wins nothing.E.G Mo Farah of Uk etc.Until we start sports at young age and monitor the progress of athletes we will continue to be behind countries that train day in day out.

2 Likes

Re: How African Countries Performed At Rio 2016 Olympics by alabiyemmy(m): 1:39pm On Aug 22, 2016
The worst ever
Re: How African Countries Performed At Rio 2016 Olympics by nnokwa042(m): 1:41pm On Aug 22, 2016
MtuFulani:
while other Nigerians re trying to win some thing for nigeria in the Olympic fulani people re busy killing poor villagers just to take over there farm land in the same nigeria God dey
Re: How African Countries Performed At Rio 2016 Olympics by God2man(m): 1:42pm On Aug 22, 2016
charix:
Yesterday I saw a Nigerian win a silver medal in judo. If he didn't win it for Nigeria, was it Libya he represented? I thought it was a mistake hearing the announcers call him Nigerian but another country's flag flash on the screen. The athlete even had a Hausa name but funny enough found English speaking a grueling task.

I watched it too.

1 Like

Re: How African Countries Performed At Rio 2016 Olympics by Fryzi(m): 1:42pm On Aug 22, 2016
No, not again bro. If we continue like dis Nigeria will go into abyss. I m Igbo n proud
Re: How African Countries Performed At Rio 2016 Olympics by God2man(m): 1:43pm On Aug 22, 2016
charix:
Yesterday I saw a Nigerian win a silver medal in judo. If he didn't win it for Nigeria, was it Libya he represented? I thought it was a mistake hearing the announcers call him Nigerian but another country's flag flash on the screen. The athlete even had a Hausa name but funny enough found English speaking a grueling task.

I watched it too. How true?
Re: How African Countries Performed At Rio 2016 Olympics by Bleszin(f): 1:46pm On Aug 22, 2016
*Ghanians,Togolese and the congolese should wait after the olympic closing ceremony to sweep the entire stadium,they might be lucky to find a missing medal*

1 Like

Re: How African Countries Performed At Rio 2016 Olympics by SIRTee15: 1:47pm On Aug 22, 2016
God2man:

I watched it too.
the person is a nigerien not a Nigerian. the confusion has to do with pronunciation.... he's from Niger Republic

1 Like

Re: How African Countries Performed At Rio 2016 Olympics by richard16(m): 1:47pm On Aug 22, 2016
Nigeria has over talented individuals who can go out there nd compete wit oda people 4rm different country..... Bt here we are blaming our selfs evrytime..... Is high time we all stand up nd prepare 2 move dis country forward nd 4get about our stupid nd useless govt
Re: How African Countries Performed At Rio 2016 Olympics by pippimp(m): 1:53pm On Aug 22, 2016
Babzilla:

WTF shocked shocked shocked

You disagree with what he said?
Re: How African Countries Performed At Rio 2016 Olympics by HisExellency: 1:54pm On Aug 22, 2016
[quote author=jejemanito post=48703911] Only SA Has My Respect. Take Away Kenya's Geographical Advantage And They Wouldn't Even Qualify For Any Event.[/quote

I award you a gold medal for your record breaking stupidity.

1 Like

Re: How African Countries Performed At Rio 2016 Olympics by planetx: 1:56pm On Aug 22, 2016
charix:
It was taekwando where he won silver, I saw it on Supersport last night. That medals table needs updating.

1 Like

Re: How African Countries Performed At Rio 2016 Olympics by chubbyG(m): 1:57pm On Aug 22, 2016
ngelbee:
hi guys am new here,can someone welcome me

You're welcome!! cool
ngelbee:
hi guys am new here,can someone welcome me

You're welcome!!

1 Like

Re: How African Countries Performed At Rio 2016 Olympics by Okeikpu(m): 1:59pm On Aug 22, 2016
The zoological republic of Nizooria has not won up to 3Gold in the History of Olympic game grin
All they focus abt is oil in the East embarassed termites
Re: How African Countries Performed At Rio 2016 Olympics by Nobody: 2:02pm On Aug 22, 2016
Goodeeman:
The name Buhari is a curse to humanity, in fact I name the rat in my house Buhari.

We know the number of your house
Re: How African Countries Performed At Rio 2016 Olympics by btoks: 2:06pm On Aug 22, 2016
I wonder whether the UK model of using part of the national lottery to fund sports development could be tried in Nigeria.

Will certainly test our organisational skill in setting up and maintaining a national lottery.
Re: How African Countries Performed At Rio 2016 Olympics by TonySpike: 2:12pm On Aug 22, 2016
btoks:
I wonder whether the UK model of using part of the national lottery to fund sports development could be tried in Nigeria.

Will certainly our organisational skill in setting up and maintaining a national lottery.

The UK model might not succeed. If you think that model can work, take a look at Pension Funds management in Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: How African Countries Performed At Rio 2016 Olympics by Pringlez: 2:13pm On Aug 22, 2016
alberto2k:
Ghana didnt goto the Olympics to get any medal, they went there for CULTURAL DANCE!

Why not talk the one wey concren you alone. grin
Re: How African Countries Performed At Rio 2016 Olympics by btoks: 2:20pm On Aug 22, 2016
TonySpike:

The UK model might not succeed. If you think that model can work, take a look at Pension Funds management in Nigeria.
I suppose everything boils down to management, whatever approach we go with.

As a potential source of money for sports development funding, I do think it's worth looking at lottery. Obviously, the issue of management and corruption is one big problem in Nigeria.
I just wonder how else we get funding !
Re: How African Countries Performed At Rio 2016 Olympics by Pringlez: 2:20pm On Aug 22, 2016
Globalhustler:
so with all those billions spent on our athletes they could only come home with one bronze. Wait, how much dem Dey sell bronze self for alaba. We for kuku buy bronze medals share for them here.
I tot our boxer that knocked someone out in 22 secs will win a medal, n d other lady that represented us in rowing.

you jus wan kill person with laughter. grin
Re: How African Countries Performed At Rio 2016 Olympics by ThunderingHooves: 2:26pm On Aug 22, 2016
jejemanito:
Only SA Has My Respect. Take Away Kenya's Geographical Advantage And They Wouldn't Even Qualify For Any Event.
We excel in spite of the odds. And because our sportsmen/women put all their heart and soul into their practice sessions They say, "train hard, win easy". That is no idle maxim when you have our sportspeople in mind.

You speak of geographical advantage - if you attribute our victories to nature's providence, i challenge you to harness the same nature to your advantage, and see the results. I suspect you wouldn't get far with that premise instead it would most certainly be due to the the case stated above viz. hard work.

Just to let you know, kenyans are increasingly winning in events not normally associated with them e. g the javelin, where we won silver. Let us not discuss rugby sevens( we were serious medal prospects for Rio, it somehow conspired against us) where we are ranked top 10 consistently for the last 10 years or so. Our women's volleyball squad inexplicably ruined its chances for Rio when they mis prioritised playing schedules over the Olympics qualification ,when they are known to be the scourge of the continent. I can go on,the list is long.

I challenge you to look at the final medals table again, and the all time medals table and see where we stand There is no mistake in either.

6 Likes

Re: How African Countries Performed At Rio 2016 Olympics by iamawara(m): 2:34pm On Aug 22, 2016
*Closing ceremony of Rio 2016 Olympics*
Ghanaian athletes should pls stay behind and help
sweep the stadium,dey could be lucky to find a
lost medal

2 Likes

Re: How African Countries Performed At Rio 2016 Olympics by btoks: 2:44pm On Aug 22, 2016
jejemanito:
Only SA Has My Respect. Take Away Kenya's Geographical Advantage And They Wouldn't Even Qualify For Any Event.
Geographical advantage is absolutely nothing in sports without hard work, determination and support.
It could be also be said that Nigeria has all kinds of advantages e.g. largest population in Africa, genetic advantage of fast twitch fibres to aid spriting, natural waterways to aid rowing/swimming, favourable weather etc. but what have we done with these over the years.

Well done Kenya, they know their strength and invested well in it to ensure they succeeded.

3 Likes

Re: How African Countries Performed At Rio 2016 Olympics by kelvinkosi(m): 2:51pm On Aug 22, 2016
Make I hold ma side well shaaa....... Carry all the gold come back if u like ... Nija Don change ?

Re: How African Countries Performed At Rio 2016 Olympics by MadCow1: 2:52pm On Aug 22, 2016
alberto2k:
Ghana didnt goto the Olympics to get any medal, they went there for CULTURAL DANCE!

But why? grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: How African Countries Performed At Rio 2016 Olympics by xtervaganza(m): 2:53pm On Aug 22, 2016
Nonsense medal table.

Everybody knows we came home with 23 bronze medal plus the one Siasia and his crews got so wetin u de tell me now?

Abeg Na we win pass grin

Na joke ooo

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

President Buhari Fulfills A 27-year-old Promise To The Super Eagles! / Enyimba Player Proposes To His Girlfriend On The Pitch (Photos) / Inter Milan Fans Celebrate 1st Serie A Title Victory Since 2010 (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.