Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,793 members, 7,817,290 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 09:39 AM

AJEGUNLE : The Tale From The Ghetto - Literature (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / AJEGUNLE : The Tale From The Ghetto (49895 Views)

Jewel From The Ghetto: New Novel Release!!! / Top 5 Books By Wole Soyinka: The Tale, The Story And A Must Read / Tale's From FGC Vandeikya (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: AJEGUNLE : The Tale From The Ghetto by Tgold1(m): 5:48am On Aug 27, 2016
fikfaknuel:
It's my birthday, and i'll update twice today as my special gift to y'all..

Anybody on this thread with popcorn? Give it to me, it's not good for your teeth.

Happy Birthday FikFaknuel.,,,,,,,,,, Many years To come In Sound HeaLth Oya TEAM HERO Bring thiS Guys Gift ooooo.....

But Wait If Popcorn no good for my health, E go come good for your own health wHen you no be Alien!!!!!!

HBD!!!!!!! Tho!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: AJEGUNLE : The Tale From The Ghetto by Nobody: 4:56pm On Aug 27, 2016
fikfaknuel:

Anybody on this thread with popcorn? Give it to me, it's not good for your teeth.

Happy birthday bro, wishing you the best life has to offer.
Re: AJEGUNLE : The Tale From The Ghetto by OlufemiWhit(m): 7:56pm On Aug 27, 2016
Nice story...following....Happy Birthday
Re: AJEGUNLE : The Tale From The Ghetto by bibijay123(f): 2:25am On Aug 28, 2016
fikfaknuel:

Happy birthday bro. More knowledge, long life, good health and prosperity is urs. grin
Re: AJEGUNLE : The Tale From The Ghetto by bibijay123(f): 2:26am On Aug 28, 2016
veekid:
I'm on the front row with my popcorn

Bibi ..... you're sighted

I sight u too cheesy .....the story makes sense!
Re: AJEGUNLE : The Tale From The Ghetto by fikfaknuel(f): 8:49am On Aug 28, 2016
bibijay123:

Happy birthday bro. More knowledge, long life, good health and prosperity is urs. grin
Thanks for the bountiful wishes. I claim them all.

1 Like

Re: AJEGUNLE : The Tale From The Ghetto by fikfaknuel(f): 8:50am On Aug 28, 2016
OlufemiWhit:
Nice story...following....Happy Birthday
Thanks. I sight u.
Re: AJEGUNLE : The Tale From The Ghetto by fikfaknuel(f): 8:52am On Aug 28, 2016
mhiz:

Happy birthday bro, wishing you the best life has to offer.
Thanks dear. Me seft wish you the 'bestest' life has to offer.

1 Like

Re: AJEGUNLE : The Tale From The Ghetto by fikfaknuel(f): 8:57am On Aug 28, 2016
Tgold1:

Happy Birthday FikFaknuel.,,,,,,,,,, Many years To come In Sound HeaLth Oya TEAM HERO Bring thiS Guys Gift ooooo.....

But Wait If Popcorn no good for my health, E go come good for your own health wHen you no be Alien!!!!!!

HBD!!!!!!! Tho!
lolz. I'm a kind of 'human alien' sha...Thanks for wishing me sound health, e be lyk sey u know sey I lyk music wella.
Re: AJEGUNLE : The Tale From The Ghetto by fikfaknuel(f): 9:50am On Aug 28, 2016
Alani called Basiru for an emergency meet the day after his confrontation with John Paul. Basiru was still in his bed enjoying the comfort of his ever-young wife, Kikemo, when his phone rang. Upon picking it, Alani's voice sounded through the phone.

"Did you confront any cultist?" Alani asked softly, almost whispering, his organs of speech were finding it hard to relay his question without stuttering. This happens when a person speaks when angry, or terrified.

"Cultist? No, how can I possibly confront a cultist?" Basiru replied, replaying past events in his head to know whom he might had offended, that was a cultist, that could make a grown man so scared, that he was speaking so softly into a phone, when they weren't having an extra-marital affair.

"Oh...you want to play that card on me eh? People have put you on the scene, and you want to deny it? Didn't I warn you to stay off that matter? Abandon those thoughts, my exact words? But no, you wanted to prove that the finger-sized manhood that dangles between your legs made you a man."

Basiru was shocked, he had never heard Alani speak with such finess and 'big english', it was another thing that fear could cause and the fear was beginning to transfer through a phone call. Basiru remembered the young man, who he had threatened earlier, his eyes had something about it, dark, evil, taunting. It was now Basiru knew that it was he.

"Are you still there?" Alani's voice interrupted his thoughts. "The people that saw you hold a young man by the trousers said that the man was none other than John Paul, the judge. He is a senior member of a cult based in Ajegunle but operates here in Kirikiri. And you have angered them." Just when Basiru thought the bad news couldn't get any worse, Alani's voice which had now regained composure spoke again.

"I'm at the office now, and upon arriving, I met two junior officers who showed me something which they saw, a fetish-looking object, tied in a red rope, but inside a blue beret. One of them who happens to have a cousin in Ajegunle says it was a warning, from the members of the Aro confraternity, and this warning comes with an 'action date', so it isn't really a warning, it means they are coming, coming for us, coming for you, I can't tell which"

Basiru's clasped his head in regret as soon as the call ended. What had he gotten himself into? Was this how he was going to end? A target of cultists? What was going to be of Moji, his son at the boarding school. Would he come back and be told, that his father is no more? Basiru shook his head in disbelief, hard to believe but, here he was, facing reality. The Aro cult, terror of day and night, coming after him. He needed to seek protection. He had to. And when the idea came to mind, he only trusted one person for the job, Aja Igbologun, his uncle.

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: AJEGUNLE : The Tale From The Ghetto by Blessinzy(f): 10:09am On Aug 28, 2016
next. please
Re: AJEGUNLE : The Tale From The Ghetto by fikfaknuel(f): 6:22pm On Aug 28, 2016
Aja Igbologun lived in the secluded Igbologun, which was close to Ajegunle, but one had to cross a river, and the river looked particularly fearful as it's waters roared high. People unfamiliar with the environment didn't cross over because of the water. So Igbologun barely had visitors.

Basiru alighted from the boat as soon as it stopped. His fright for water wasn't going to end soon, and whilst in the boat, the water raged violently, and his uneasiness was obvious as the passengers looked at him in a mocking way. They knew he was one of the few visitors. Why? Why was he visiting? He guarded his facial expression with a strong frown. He wasn't going to tell them that he was a time bomb, waiting to blow. He wasn't going to disclose through his fear for water that his head was on borrowed time.

He didn't have much luck locating his uncle's house as he walked the place, barely seeing any soul. Even if he did, he wasn't going to ask for directions. His mission here was too discreet, too important for another ear to hear. He ended up walking about the village twice, and was getting frustrated when he realised he wasn't making any progress. He shut off the afraid voice of himself that placed his mission here high in priority. After some time, he met a child and asked him where Aja Igbologun's house was, and after about seven minutes of being led through the mouth of the child, he finally knew where the place was. He rewarded the boy's efforts with a fifty naira note which the boy told him to throw on the ground, then brought out his little penis, and poured urine on it. He then stamped on the money with his leg and picked it up. Basiru looked at him amused. He doubled his pace and was in front of the house in about ten minutes. The house was old-fashioned, but they were plans to drag it back into the present as some bricks were on the front,and the roof was replaced with a shiny, new zinc. Basiru smiled, but was uncertain, of how he would be received. His uncle was a man who held very little grudges but it had been long he seen him, and a person can change after such a long time. His uncle might be angry that this was the first time he was visiting him in eight years, because he needed a favor. The last time they saw was when his son, Moji was born.

He entered into the house, touching his pocket to check whether the kolanut and naira notes was stilll there. They were. He muttered a little prayer that things pan out well.

"So you have come to me for a protection charm'' His uncle asked with a tone of finality after he had told him the situation he found himself in. He had shook his head whilst listening to his nephew's story, pity on his face. It was most wise if one stays away from cult members, not to talk of a senior member of the Aro cult.

A flicker of hope burnt through Basiru's soul. He made sure he told the story in a tone that would rouse pity. He painted himself as the victm when he was quite sure that if his aging uncle was at the scene where he confronted John Paul, he would spank him and maybe render him dumb for quite some time. He had done that to him in his younger years, after he displayed his passion for being strong-headed. His father, Aja Igbologun's younger brother would laugh as his punishment was being served. Basiru knew it was only a matter of time before his uncle quizzes him on why he had failed to come see him. He wouldn't ind using his deceased brother, Basiru's father, as a chip for bargaining for guilt. As far as he provided him with the protection charm, he would offer him his guilt,and the ten thousand naira in his pocket of course.

Aja Igbologun went into his inner room, and Basiru heard him chant inaudibly. He smiled, for he knew at this moment, his uncle was no longer human, but a middle man in his purchase, of a favor from the gods. He prayed that the gods accept the fee he was willing to pay and if they didn't, he was sure his uncle would bargain eargerly, as the gods had no mouth, that could eat yam, or the kolanut he brought. After about twenty minutes, his uncle came out with a razor and a black liquid in a bottle that once had cheap liquor as it contents. His uncle approached him, not saying a word, and sat down beside him.

"Take off your shirt'' the old man ordered in a voice that made Basiru think that the gods were still speaking through him. He wondered what the razor and the seemingly thick liquid which was like gum was for. He knew that protection charms was items tied to a rope, and tied around the waist, or kept in the pocket. It was potent as long as it was on the person it was supposed to protect. However, he obeyed without letting his thoughts become words.

Aja Igbologun, loosely translated in English as Igbologun's Tortoise now took the blunt razor and cut into the flesh of his client, at his back. Basiru winced in pain, as all his thoughts concerning his protection flew away from his mind, as he bothered whether his uncle wanted to infect him with HIV/AIDS. His uncle cut further through his skin, and he counted twelve different cuts. The great herbalist then opened the bottle and used his fingers to rub the sticky substance inside the wound. It peppered Basiru immensely and he reacted by bending his back, and giving an half-shout of "Ah!'', to which his uncle barked at him to "shut up, boy!" oblivious of the fact that he was a thirty nine year old man, married, with a kid.

He was finished. There was a loud silence as Aja Igbologun, whose name was Kalejaiye looked at his nephew, breathing heavily. Basiru went inside and poured water into a cup and brought it to his uncle. He still knew his way around the house. After his uncle had drank the water, he told him `thank you' with his eyes. The preparation and application of the charm, or whatever, had really exhausted him. His uncle still looked at him, and Basiru knew the time had come for him to answer the questions of his uncle, as to why he has failed to keep in touch, and rarely visit.

"You do take pleasure from depriving your late father's brother from enjoying the company of his nephew in old age, eh?''

Basiru sighed, he tried hard to produce a justifiable lie, he wasn't about to tell his uncle that he hadn't visited him for eight years because he was scared of water. His uncle had reason to be angry, for he was lonely, as his only daughter had married an Igbo man based in the North, to which he agitatedly protested, until love triumphed. He was lonely, and wanted to know why his closest relative didn't visit regularly.

"Ehmm...uncle'' Basiru thought of how to process his thought-out lie while he wore his shirt. "It's not like I don't want to visit, but work no give me allowance. When the new governor enter, he embarked on a road-building project where I work, and that has maximised traffic. I close very late. But I promise, i'll visit often from now on''

"It's okay, I see reason in what you say even though it's a lie. You seem to forget i'm half human, half spirit. Please do visit''

Basiru was shocked, he had forgotten about his uncle so soon. So he knew he was lying yet allowed him to finish the story. Old age really changed a person. If it was in his youth and he caught him, Basiru in a lie, he wouldn't hesitate metting out the usual punishment of dumbness to him. Basiru turned to leave, almost forgetting the money he wanted to give his uncle, as a token of appreciation. He did so, and said his goodbye with a waving hand, trying hard to smile even though his brain reminded him of the daunting task ahead, crossing the river. Kalejaiye too waved his feeble hand slowly as his nephew left.

Damn! Basiru thought, as he ran back to his uncle's house, when he remebered that he didn't ask him what would alter the potency of the charm. He knew that all charms had something, which rendered it useless and usually, the wielders of the charm are cautioned on their actions and inactions.

"Idiot, I thought you had forgotten everything so soon'' His uncle scolded him in his typical fashion after he had asked for the charm's loophole.''

Basiru stiffened his face and motioned his uncle to go on.

"Well, the charm I drew on your body...'' He paused, as he observed a cough. Basira smiled as his uncle called such a painful activity a `drawing'. If it was, then he was the most terrible artist in the world. "As I was saying, the charm is a very potent one, and its only loophole, guaranteed to render it useless was when you stop being a man''

Basiru smiled as he walked out of his uncle's house. He had a very potent protection charm and it would work, as long as he continued being a man. His manhood wasn't going to disappear with the withdrawal of the night moon, he wasn't going to grow breasts overnight. He smiled again.

If only he knew what being a man meant.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: AJEGUNLE : The Tale From The Ghetto by olatex25(m): 4:33pm On Aug 29, 2016
Happy birthdae bro, llnp... U av a nice story here bro, kip it cumin.. Ama following
Re: AJEGUNLE : The Tale From The Ghetto by TheBlessedMAN: 1:25pm On Aug 30, 2016
Tgold1:

AOB1 , ROYH , THEBLESSEDMAN , MRLEMUEL ........ E don dey Boil ooooo
wait, o, where this ajegunle dey self... Na inside diz Nija ba?
Re: AJEGUNLE : The Tale From The Ghetto by yorhmienerd(m): 2:53pm On Aug 30, 2016
fikfaknuel nice job, hope i can join the train
Re: AJEGUNLE : The Tale From The Ghetto by Tgold1(m): 4:46pm On Aug 30, 2016
TheBlessedMAN:

Oga SurE na, na inside LAgos NigeriA seLF
Re: AJEGUNLE : The Tale From The Ghetto by fikfaknuel(f): 5:15pm On Aug 30, 2016
yorhmienerd:
fikfaknuel nice job, hope i can join the train
Yea, we got many seats left.
Re: AJEGUNLE : The Tale From The Ghetto by yorhmienerd(m): 5:34pm On Aug 30, 2016
fikfaknuel:
Yea, we got many seats left.
Alright, I need VIP allocation
Re: AJEGUNLE : The Tale From The Ghetto by RoastedCorn(m): 6:20pm On Aug 30, 2016
i'm with you
Re: AJEGUNLE : The Tale From The Ghetto by fikfaknuel(f): 6:35pm On Aug 30, 2016
Can't figure out why I was banned earlier from posting but i'll be back in full force this night.

Expect an update.
Re: AJEGUNLE : The Tale From The Ghetto by fikfaknuel(f): 7:47am On Aug 31, 2016
It was two weeks after Basiru had collected the collected the protection charm, or rather, had it 'drawn' on his body. There was little reports of cult activity in Kirikiri after the alleged threats of the Aro cult. Basiru wondered if the 'warning' stuff was an hoax. It could be nothing, yet, Alani would read meaning into it.

Meanwhile, inside a hotel, about nine young men were drinking alcohol, their bodies being caressed by the hands of scantily dressed girls whose buttocks and breasts they fondled roughly. They were in a celebratory mood, but they all became attentive when John Paul, the usually quiet, but most deadly of them all spoke.

"guys, I want yarn una about one man, wey disrespect me"

"wetin we come dey do here? Make we comot him teeth use am play dice nah" one ragged fellow said, his frail stature was illuminated by the disco lights swirling in the air.

"James, cool down. This is a special case, sha...I no wan kill am, I wan just teach am lesson. Dis guy wey I dey talk about nah dat mumu wey we blow smoke for him nose the day wey we gba that truck"

"ehen, wetin the guy do?" another fellow who sat at a corner, kissing a girl and a stick of marijuana at the same time, asked, pushing the girl away, but still on the stick. It was clear what his priorites were.

"In short, make we dey go the house. Spiderman, report!"

A boy who should be about fourteen and the youngest of them all stood from where he sat, and walked to the front where all could see him. Even the almost naked girls paid attention to his movement, their ears were itching for a story. John Paul immediately waved them off, to which they obeyed, albeit with frowning faces. The Spiderman who should have been called spiderboy licked his lips in relish at his rare opportunity to impress his superiors and John Paul, who he respected and worshipped like a god.

"The man is a government worker and he's suppposed to be at home by..." He looked at his watch and smiled at the time it displayed.
"He's supposed to be at home now. He has a wife, who stays up to watch yoruba films till 9pm. The street is a quiet one, and few people should be home now, given that today is vigil. This should be easy, we just..."

"Shut up spiderman, but anyways sha, you try for your analysing. Make JP speak first" James thundered in a 'commendly' manner, familiar to members of the cult. One could scream "Idiot, your father!" as a salutation remark. It was the norm in Ajegunle.

John Paul rose slowly, then gave a gentle pat on spider's head, to which he reacted with a big grin.

"We will pay the family a visit. Once we are inside the house, nobody acts against my orders. We clear?"

"Sure, boss" Each person responded at his own time.

Kikelomo folded her legs in suspense and anticipation. The movie was really wow! She couldn't describe it in better words. She was so immersed in the film that she didn't pick up the sound just outside the door, or notice that the wind hurried into the living room in a scared manner. She only saw a boy knock at the door. He looked harmless.

"sorry ma, my father is your husband's friend at work. He sent me to deliver an urgent message to your husband"

"Urgent? Okay come in" she told the boy.

Spiderman walked in, looking at the house in childly manner, feigning fascination.

Kikelomo went inside to wake her husband, but, she forgot to lock the front door.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: AJEGUNLE : The Tale From The Ghetto by fikfaknuel(f): 7:52am On Aug 31, 2016
yorhmienerd:

Alright, I need VIP allocation
that's no problem. VIP : two million naira for one seat. Table for one : seven million naira.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: AJEGUNLE : The Tale From The Ghetto by fikfaknuel(f): 7:53am On Aug 31, 2016
RoastedCorn:
i'm with you
Vice versa.
Re: AJEGUNLE : The Tale From The Ghetto by fikfaknuel(f): 7:55am On Aug 31, 2016
TheBlessedMAN:
Ah! Seriously you no sabi AJ? Sha, na Lagos e dey.

That's what Literature can do. Enlightenment. Keep on reading to know more about this fascinating place called Ajegunle.
Re: AJEGUNLE : The Tale From The Ghetto by fikfaknuel(f): 7:56am On Aug 31, 2016
olatex25:
Happy birthdae bro, llnp... U av a nice story here bro, kip it cumin.. Ama following
thanks for the wishes. Keep on following.
Re: AJEGUNLE : The Tale From The Ghetto by fikfaknuel(f): 7:57am On Aug 31, 2016
Blessinzy:
next. please
See am here. Don't read alone. Mention your friends as well.
Re: AJEGUNLE : The Tale From The Ghetto by yorhmienerd(m): 1:31pm On Aug 31, 2016
fikfaknuel:

that's no problem. VIP : two million naira for one seat. Table for one : seven million naira.

Alright send your account details then my finance manager will do the needful.
Re: AJEGUNLE : The Tale From The Ghetto by olatex25(m): 1:55pm On Aug 31, 2016
Nice update, weldone bro..
Re: AJEGUNLE : The Tale From The Ghetto by OlufemiWhit(m): 5:48pm On Aug 31, 2016
Nice story.....abeg kan update
Re: AJEGUNLE : The Tale From The Ghetto by fikfaknuel(f): 5:41am On Sep 01, 2016
Kikelomo came back to the sitting room but instead of the young boy, she saw four men, who weren't really fully fledge men but the toughness of their face said otherwise. She saw a gun in one's hands, and her whole body shook. She didn't need to be told to sit down. These were surely robbers, she thought to herself. The 'man of the moment' stumbled in, still half-asleep. A thunderous back-hand slap corrected his brain of such laziness and his eyes opened.

"Sit down" one of the 'unfriendly visitors' ordered.

Basiru almost obeyed, but then remembered he had a protection charm. He smiled, and his wife looked at him confused. Is this a prank? Or has her husband gone nuts? It could not be a prank though, as the smile was quickly followed by vicious blows to Basiru's belly. He refused to cough out blood though. James, the next-in-command to John Paul in his irritated anger at this man's persistence to beg for his life took a knife that was on the refridgerator.

He approached Basiru and held a light smile on his black lips. He looked into Basiru's eyes and searched for fear in them. He saw it not. He looked closer, yet, fear was very far from them. Basiru did something stupid, or brave, for there was a very thin line between the two. He slapped James.

James had been given license to whatever he so wanted, and he looked at John Paul to ascertain whether he caught the event. He did, but chuckled, and signalled him to do to him anything, except kill him.

He could have sworn with his life that he stabbed Basiru's hand with the knife, but there was no blood, or wound, just the scar. By now, Basiru seated comfortably in his hostage seat, as James tried in-vain to extract blood from his body. Kikelomo's mouth opened wide at what she was seeing, her suprise was warranted, as this was more than what she had seen in movies. She broke down in tears as she wondered why she married an ifa priest in the guise of a husband. The other two members of the cult present also watched in awe.

James smiled, for he knew exactly what John Paul was thinking at this moment; a protection charm only provided a physical shield. A protection charm didn't turn one into superman and able to resist emotional pain. For every superman, there was a Lana Lang.

He turned and John's actions were merely echoing his thoughts. John was self-pleasuring himself but his gang members knew he was getting ready for real action.

"Bring the wife to me, will you?" John said to a member, and before long, Kikelomo was kneeling down in front of John who grinned, her breasts looked succulent and pleasurable. Her night clothing flowed freely and gave him sneak peeks of what he was going to enjoy in no minute.

He laughed hysterically at Basiru, whose facial expression could not be mistaken. It screamed "oh, no!"

6 Likes 5 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply)

The Cheating Husband / The Murder Case- A short story / The Religion

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.