Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,841 members, 7,810,244 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 01:56 AM

BLOGGERS: Google Punishes Sites With Pop-up Adverts - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / BLOGGERS: Google Punishes Sites With Pop-up Adverts (6480 Views)

Similar Sites With Waptrick / NITDA Suspends All Sites With “jamb” As Domain Name / Google Punishes Sites With Pop-up Adverts (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

BLOGGERS: Google Punishes Sites With Pop-up Adverts by yinchar(m): 11:05pm On Aug 24, 2016
Google is to penalise websites that feature intrusive pop-up adverts. It is updating the algorithms used to rank its search results so that offending pages are more likely to get lower placings.

The change is due to come into effect on 10 January. Google makes much of its money from placing ads on the mobile web. One expert said the company wanted to give users one less reason to use ad-blockers or search within apps instead.

For its part, Google said the move should make using some of its results less frustrating. "Pages that show intrusive interstitials [elements that cover the content] provide a poorer experience to users than other pages where content is immediately accessible," it blogged. "This can be problematic on mobile devices where screens are often smaller."
Punishing pop-ups

The California-based company gave three examples of practices it wanted to discourage: pop-ups that covered part of the main content when the user clicked on to a page an intermediary webpage that had to be dismissed before the main content could be seen an ad that filled the web browser's screen so users had to scroll down "below the fold" before they could see the material they wanted Google will, however, make some exceptions.

Pop-ups that alert readers to the use of cookies are still permissible, for example, as are ones that require log-in details to let visitors get behind a paywall.

"Google is one of the largest advertising companies in the world, but it's in a very different position to Facebook, Snapchat and other global media consumption apps," said Daniel Knapp, senior director of advertising research at the IHS consultancy. "Google is still very reliant on the desktop and mobile web to make money, and it's much more difficult to clean up that experience than the native app environments. "That's why it needs to tighten the screws on everyone with this crackdown."

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-37178470

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: BLOGGERS: Google Punishes Sites With Pop-up Adverts by mhizAnnie(f): 11:06pm On Aug 24, 2016
Hallelujah!!! cheesy cheesy

FTC!!!! tongue grin

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: BLOGGERS: Google Punishes Sites With Pop-up Adverts by AnodaIT(m): 11:48pm On Aug 24, 2016
And the ban start rolling out

But not to worry, you can still get people see your ads by placing it below the post title.

Click here to read how to make your ads show on mobile view
Re: BLOGGERS: Google Punishes Sites With Pop-up Adverts by gidimasters(m): 12:14am On Aug 25, 2016
Welcome Google! Meanwhile, I cover my adsense with the Blood of God and Jesus.

I blog at Gidimasters Blog
Re: BLOGGERS: Google Punishes Sites With Pop-up Adverts by veekid(m): 6:53am On Aug 25, 2016
Tell Linda ikeji

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: BLOGGERS: Google Punishes Sites With Pop-up Adverts by ireneony(f): 6:53am On Aug 25, 2016
Nice move

1 Like

Re: BLOGGERS: Google Punishes Sites With Pop-up Adverts by Nobody: 6:53am On Aug 25, 2016
grin
Re: BLOGGERS: Google Punishes Sites With Pop-up Adverts by kingDELE(m): 6:53am On Aug 25, 2016
Kilo happen
Re: BLOGGERS: Google Punishes Sites With Pop-up Adverts by Slimflame(m): 6:54am On Aug 25, 2016
mhizAnnie:
Hallelujah!!! cheesy cheesy
Amen :-D
Re: BLOGGERS: Google Punishes Sites With Pop-up Adverts by gist4kidsblog: 6:54am On Aug 25, 2016
Okay ooo
Re: BLOGGERS: Google Punishes Sites With Pop-up Adverts by Freelancer007(m): 6:54am On Aug 25, 2016
Kk
Re: BLOGGERS: Google Punishes Sites With Pop-up Adverts by kings009(m): 6:55am On Aug 25, 2016
Good
Re: BLOGGERS: Google Punishes Sites With Pop-up Adverts by Nobody: 6:55am On Aug 25, 2016
cool
Re: BLOGGERS: Google Punishes Sites With Pop-up Adverts by oweniwe(m): 6:55am On Aug 25, 2016
Mobile or PC...

I hate pop up ads angry

1 Like

Re: BLOGGERS: Google Punishes Sites With Pop-up Adverts by Nobody: 6:55am On Aug 25, 2016
lemme smoke first
Re: BLOGGERS: Google Punishes Sites With Pop-up Adverts by dheolexaone(f): 6:56am On Aug 25, 2016
Noted
Re: BLOGGERS: Google Punishes Sites With Pop-up Adverts by justicejay(m): 6:56am On Aug 25, 2016
Thank God, I hates those advert like sh*t

2 Likes

Re: BLOGGERS: Google Punishes Sites With Pop-up Adverts by ultimate73(m): 6:57am On Aug 25, 2016
ope o!
Re: BLOGGERS: Google Punishes Sites With Pop-up Adverts by delerx(m): 6:59am On Aug 25, 2016
Not a good news for bloggers but a good news for Web users. Those pop ups could be frustrating @times esp when checking livescores

1 Like

Re: BLOGGERS: Google Punishes Sites With Pop-up Adverts by Qristien: 6:59am On Aug 25, 2016

I hate pop-ups! Starting with Naij.com, these sites want to force you to like them or buy products. sad Good development, Google.

8 Likes

Re: BLOGGERS: Google Punishes Sites With Pop-up Adverts by delerx(m): 6:59am On Aug 25, 2016
Not a good news for bloggers but a good news for Web users. Those pop ups could be frustrating @times esp when checking livescores
Re: BLOGGERS: Google Punishes Sites With Pop-up Adverts by pat077: 6:59am On Aug 25, 2016
Good embarassed tongue
Re: BLOGGERS: Google Punishes Sites With Pop-up Adverts by VocalWalls: 7:03am On Aug 25, 2016
Re: BLOGGERS: Google Punishes Sites With Pop-up Adverts by inkrey: 7:03am On Aug 25, 2016
AnodaIT:
Re: BLOGGERS: Google Punishes Sites With Pop-up Adverts by jazinogold(m): 7:06am On Aug 25, 2016
k
Re: BLOGGERS: Google Punishes Sites With Pop-up Adverts by BrainnewsNg(f): 7:06am On Aug 25, 2016
AnodaIT:
And You must be afraid?
Re: BLOGGERS: Google Punishes Sites With Pop-up Adverts by datola: 7:07am On Aug 25, 2016
Not bad at all for users.
Re: BLOGGERS: Google Punishes Sites With Pop-up Adverts by etcme(m): 7:10am On Aug 25, 2016
Just negodu
Re: BLOGGERS: Google Punishes Sites With Pop-up Adverts by Nelly3(f): 7:14am On Aug 25, 2016
Well done google. Please implement it ASAP. Rubbish pop-up ads... Very frustrating thing to experience when you want to access information on a page!!

3 Likes

Re: BLOGGERS: Google Punishes Sites With Pop-up Adverts by danthamccoy(m): 7:16am On Aug 25, 2016
Thank you Lord. It gets so frustrating on some pages these days that you're only scrolling and before you know it like 3 new pages have opened and your phone starts vibrating like crazy. That stuff makes me want to scream.

4 Likes

Re: BLOGGERS: Google Punishes Sites With Pop-up Adverts by zibi5: 7:16am On Aug 25, 2016
I don't understand google sha... i pity blogger earnings go reduce
Re: BLOGGERS: Google Punishes Sites With Pop-up Adverts by OgidiOlu3(m): 7:17am On Aug 25, 2016
I hate popups especially when I want to download free movies angry

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

How To Earn Maximum Amount Of Profit From Your Blog In 2019 / Is It Advisable To Blog With A Phone? / Getting The First Character Of Array Values, Php ?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.