Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,764 members, 7,809,936 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:31 PM

UBA Re-admitted Into Forex Market - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / UBA Re-admitted Into Forex Market (8649 Views)

CBN Injects $482.6m Into Forex Market, Naira Gains / CBN Injects Another $100 Million Into Forex Market / 24 Hours After New Policy, CBN Injects $371m Into Forex Market (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

UBA Re-admitted Into Forex Market by Frankaka8(m): 11:16pm On Aug 24, 2016
Prior to earlier report of UBA been among the few top banks been sanction by CBN..it has however been reversed with such urgency. Kudos.

The Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) has deleted the United Bank for Africa (UBA) from the list of nine deposit money banks (DMBs) banned from the foreign exchange market, for hiding over $2 billion belonging to Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC) from the Treasury Single Account (TSA).

‘Tokunbo Martins, director, banking supervision of CBN, made the announcement on Wednesday night, saying: “Further to the directive of the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) to all Deposit Money Banks (DMBs) to return all outstanding unremitted NNPC/NLNG foreign currency, this is to confirm that the United Bank for Africa (UBA) Plc has remitted all outstanding NNPC/NLNG deposits in its possession to NNPC’s Treasury Single Account (TSA) at the CBN.

“Accordingly, the United Bank for Africa (UBA) Plc has been re-admitted into the Foreign Exchange Market effective Thursday, August 25, 2016.”

Before the ban was reported on Tuesday, President Muhammadu Buhari had been briefed on the breach by the banks.

The banks were all mandated to move the monies to the treasury single account.

At the full implementation of the TSA in 2015, the CBN had warned that banks that did not totally comply with the TSA remission plan risked possible fine and stringent punishment.

“The CBN may take action against any FXPD that fails to comply with the standards set forth in these Guidelines. Such action will vary depending upon the type of non-compliance, but may range, forinstance, from fines, suspension from any or all FX operations for a period of time to termination as an FXPD,” it had said.

All the indicted banks are barred from the forex market until they fully refund the $2.1 billion held up in their coffers.

https://www.thecable.ng/breaking-cbn-lifts-fx-ban-on-uba-but-other-banks-remain-suspended?_e_pi_=7%2CPAGE_ID10%2C5472773757

Re: UBA Re-admitted Into Forex Market by bigtt76(f): 11:58pm On Aug 24, 2016
They better do o! grin
Re: UBA Re-admitted Into Forex Market by Nobody: 7:12am On Aug 25, 2016
UBA.....

I enter dah Bank one day......

And one of their Cashier dey sleep.... grin...

When Customers no dey......

Compare to GTBank
Re: UBA Re-admitted Into Forex Market by emmabest2000(m): 7:12am On Aug 25, 2016
CBN , APC & CONFUSION. are ......

32 Likes 3 Shares

Re: UBA Re-admitted Into Forex Market by Nobody: 7:12am On Aug 25, 2016

Re: UBA Re-admitted Into Forex Market by veekid(m): 7:13am On Aug 25, 2016
Wadeva
Re: UBA Re-admitted Into Forex Market by Raydos: 7:13am On Aug 25, 2016
cry
Re: UBA Re-admitted Into Forex Market by thinkdip(m): 7:14am On Aug 25, 2016
They can't handle them. Naija govt
Re: UBA Re-admitted Into Forex Market by Qristien: 7:14am On Aug 25, 2016

UBA. The slowest Bank in Africa

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: UBA Re-admitted Into Forex Market by Nobody: 7:16am On Aug 25, 2016
Confusion everywhere! In today, out tomorrow. God please save us.
Check my signature to see how you can beat the bad economy

1 Like

Re: UBA Re-admitted Into Forex Market by ujahboy(m): 7:16am On Aug 25, 2016
Trial by error govt, let them continue their rubbish they may still get dollar to 1:500 if not more than.

1 Like

Re: UBA Re-admitted Into Forex Market by GentlemanUnltd: 7:16am On Aug 25, 2016
I guess they have hurriedly payed the fee slammed on them by CBN.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: UBA Re-admitted Into Forex Market by Bassurge: 7:17am On Aug 25, 2016
What of first bank that had done their remittance since.
Re: UBA Re-admitted Into Forex Market by scarpa: 7:17am On Aug 25, 2016
A Bank with Class.

The Lion is Back

1 Like

Re: UBA Re-admitted Into Forex Market by GMBuhari: 7:19am On Aug 25, 2016
What means this ?
Re: UBA Re-admitted Into Forex Market by emmaak2(m): 7:20am On Aug 25, 2016
FIRST BANK SHOULD BE ALLOWED AS WELL TO EASE THE SUFFERING
Re: UBA Re-admitted Into Forex Market by NigerDeltan(m): 7:21am On Aug 25, 2016
Confused government
Re: UBA Re-admitted Into Forex Market by Nobody: 7:22am On Aug 25, 2016
That's my Bank

1 Like

Re: UBA Re-admitted Into Forex Market by Pavore9: 7:24am On Aug 25, 2016
They have settled CBN and re-admitted as they can't afford to be in the cold, missing out on the Forex Market! cheesy

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: UBA Re-admitted Into Forex Market by 989900: 7:25am On Aug 25, 2016
I read so many naive comments on Nairaland.

The banks are as corrupt as they come, they contribute a good percentage to the comatose condition of the Naira by their corrupt ways.

They won't follow the CBN's direction to sell to the BDCs for 2 weeks or more now, they harbour all corrupt and sharp practices to make sure they and their cronies keep that wide margin between both markets open, so they can keep making 'free money', since no more 'subsidy money', nor 'gov't money'.

Excluding them from the FMDQ was like taking a cookie jar away, the CBN has been complacent and complicit all this while.

The banks will vomit those monies soon, the CBN is in a better position to know what they have or do not have. There are still more steps that should be taken.

The spike in exchange should last for a few days only.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: UBA Re-admitted Into Forex Market by Truth234(m): 7:27am On Aug 25, 2016
CBN Readmits UBA Into Forex Market

The Central Bank of Nigeria on Wednesday said it had re-admitted the United Bank for Africa into the foreign exchange market.

The directive, according to the CBN, takes effect from Thursday (today).

The apex bank in a two paragraph statement issued at about 10pm on Wednesday said UBA had remitted all outstanding foreign currency belonging to the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation.

The statement signed by the Director, Banking Supervision Department, CBN, Tokunbo Martins, read in part, “Further to the directive of the Central Bank of Nigeria to all the Deposit Money Banks to return all outstanding unremitted NNPC/NLNG foreign currency, this is to confirm that the United Bank for Africa Plc has remitted all outstanding NNPC/NLNG deposits in its possession to NNPC’s Treasury Single Account at the CBN.”

“Accordingly, the UBA Plc has been re-admitted into the Foreign Exchange Market effective Thursday, August 25, 2016.”

A number of other banks including Sterling Bank and First Bank of Nigeria, said they had opened discussion with the CBN to amicably resolve the matter.
http://investorsking.com/cbn-readmits-uba-into-forex-market/

1 Like

Re: UBA Re-admitted Into Forex Market by NaLaugh: 7:30am On Aug 25, 2016
So UBA is still a functioning bank in Nigeria? cheesy

I remember them to be one of, if not the worst bank in Nigeria back in the day, after they got overwhelmed with new customers.

1 Like

Re: UBA Re-admitted Into Forex Market by SWORD419(m): 7:30am On Aug 25, 2016
pls explain this shiit ti me am nit an account student
Re: UBA Re-admitted Into Forex Market by ceedan: 7:33am On Aug 25, 2016
Fit2Rule:
Fit2Rule:
. CBN act before they think.. Using 170million lives for d experiment.
Re: UBA Re-admitted Into Forex Market by xreal: 7:33am On Aug 25, 2016
ok.

My own interpretation is that the banned banks are the weakest in Nigeria.

Now, UBA is the Strongest among the weakest.

.... Next ?

2 Likes

Re: UBA Re-admitted Into Forex Market by Nobody: 7:33am On Aug 25, 2016
Damage has already been done, naira is heading for the summit of Mt Everest.

4 Likes

Re: UBA Re-admitted Into Forex Market by eluquenson(m): 7:35am On Aug 25, 2016
Nice one, in Nigeria Banking industries today Tony Elumelu is the jagaban of Bankers....fact.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: UBA Re-admitted Into Forex Market by BlindAngel: 7:36am On Aug 25, 2016
Common sence.
Re: UBA Re-admitted Into Forex Market by Adesiji77: 7:37am On Aug 25, 2016
cheesy
Re: UBA Re-admitted Into Forex Market by haxorDelite(m): 7:37am On Aug 25, 2016
op is that a Samsung tv?

1 Like

Re: UBA Re-admitted Into Forex Market by Nairadays: 7:39am On Aug 25, 2016
Nooooooooooooooo angry angry angry

The same UBA that i abandoned angrily little over a month ago, when naira was 298 or thereabout at the interbank, there were already charging me N372, now that official is N305 - N320, i wonder what they'll be charging? sad sad

Am sorry UBA am not de-marketing you, but those charges were gruelling to my pocket. angry

CBN needs to do more to monitor this market, don't just sanction them for TSA reasons but improper pricing.

In other news, A Penguin has been made a Brigadier General with full honors in the Norwegian Army. Seen here inspecting guard of honor

http://www.nairadays.com/2016/08/24/penguin-promoted-to-brigadier-at-edinburgh-zoo/

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: UBA Re-admitted Into Forex Market by Addicted2Women: 7:39am On Aug 25, 2016
Welcome to Nigeria, the home of preferential treatment

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (Reply)

Craigslist.com: Nigeria / Where To Get Motivational Books At Wholesale Prices In Lagos? / How To Start Your Own Small Cosmetic Retailing Business In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.