Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,006 members, 7,835,416 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 09:51 AM

Billionaire Wife Dabota Lawson Accused Of Stealing (photos) - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Billionaire Wife Dabota Lawson Accused Of Stealing (photos) (3224 Views)

Dabota Lawson's N5 Million Butt Investment Gets Huge Returns (Photos) / Dabota Lawson And Bianca Ojukwu At The Sun Awards (Photos) / ''Fake Birkin'' Bag: Dabota Lawson Throws Shade (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Billionaire Wife Dabota Lawson Accused Of Stealing (photos) by stane007: 6:05am On Aug 25, 2016
Billionaire wife Dabota Lawson has been accused of stealing after she started her cosmetics company called ‘Dabota Cosmetics‘ under Billionaire Wife Ltd, and released into the market her lightening cream which looks almost exactly like Natural Dermis' face cream.

According to Natural Dermis, Dabota knocked off their entire product packaging, bottle, font (style size & placement) & even box labels. She copied the large descriptive word of the product in handwriting, the glass encased bottle, the silver pump, the English then french description beneath it.

See more photos of the very obvious matching bottles with matching handwriting.

Natural Dermis, the skin care line is said to be outraged. Naijagistlive.com reports that the company & company representative feel cheated & robbed of their original bottle design by Dabota Cosmetics, adding that:

Natural Dermis has chosen to make this a matter of public knowledge before they begin their legal documentation to make we, the Nigerian public aware of the brands we are patronizing.

http://www.lailasblog.com/2016/08/billionaire-wife-dabota-lawson-accused.html

Re: Billionaire Wife Dabota Lawson Accused Of Stealing (photos) by Nobody: 6:07am On Aug 25, 2016
billionaire wife.... stealing??

1 Like

Re: Billionaire Wife Dabota Lawson Accused Of Stealing (photos) by odiereke(m): 6:13am On Aug 25, 2016
This is a very big wahala for her if she is eventually sued to court. We would still be waiting to see the next development.

3 Likes

Re: Billionaire Wife Dabota Lawson Accused Of Stealing (photos) by Id4Jesus: 6:15am On Aug 25, 2016
Nigerians and creativity are like Siamese twins... Madam Billionaire's wife na u try pass but harness that sense of creativity to a more responsible and clean biz

2 Likes

Re: Billionaire Wife Dabota Lawson Accused Of Stealing (photos) by maryjan8(f): 6:19am On Aug 25, 2016
Why coping natural dermis?
Re: Billionaire Wife Dabota Lawson Accused Of Stealing (photos) by veekid(m): 6:25am On Aug 25, 2016
Na curse
Re: Billionaire Wife Dabota Lawson Accused Of Stealing (photos) by MrPresident1: 6:25am On Aug 25, 2016
Billionaire wife dey sell bleaching cream, nansense!

Yellow fever epidemic sad
Re: Billionaire Wife Dabota Lawson Accused Of Stealing (photos) by cruzita(f): 6:33am On Aug 25, 2016
when I saw stealing,,I think say na crayfish she go thief sef

1 Like

Re: Billionaire Wife Dabota Lawson Accused Of Stealing (photos) by Nobody: 6:53am On Aug 25, 2016
na food I think say she steal......mtchewww.....who body cream eppundecided
Re: Billionaire Wife Dabota Lawson Accused Of Stealing (photos) by peaceMma(f): 7:13am On Aug 25, 2016
praizeblog:
billionaire wife.... stealing??
Ah wonder oh
Re: Billionaire Wife Dabota Lawson Accused Of Stealing (photos) by troy9090: 7:14am On Aug 25, 2016
I m here waiting
Re: Billionaire Wife Dabota Lawson Accused Of Stealing (photos) by Airforce1(m): 7:17am On Aug 25, 2016
their headache
Re: Billionaire Wife Dabota Lawson Accused Of Stealing (photos) by peaceMma(f): 7:18am On Aug 25, 2016
got mysf wondering what a billionaire's wife would v stolen? I found out she stole nothing, just a business that ain't my business either. let den settle it

1 Like

Re: Billionaire Wife Dabota Lawson Accused Of Stealing (photos) by Nobody: 7:28am On Aug 25, 2016
And the deceiving continues. WOMEN!!!!
Re: Billionaire Wife Dabota Lawson Accused Of Stealing (photos) by Nobody: 7:37am On Aug 25, 2016
peaceMma:
Ah wonder oh
Lol.....nawa oo
Re: Billionaire Wife Dabota Lawson Accused Of Stealing (photos) by Nobody: 7:40am On Aug 25, 2016
she should have created something different but unique...Nobi everything person dey copy..
Re: Billionaire Wife Dabota Lawson Accused Of Stealing (photos) by Kelklein(m): 8:30am On Aug 25, 2016
thief na thief sha..
Re: Billionaire Wife Dabota Lawson Accused Of Stealing (photos) by nikkypearl(f): 8:35am On Aug 25, 2016
angry angry
And to think the cream will be nothing less than 45k...smh

Ko kan aiye! undecided

Na my anoiting oil sure pass embarassed
Re: Billionaire Wife Dabota Lawson Accused Of Stealing (photos) by Perfecttouch(m): 9:09am On Aug 25, 2016
See business strategy! Nobody is even seeing this from the market strategy aspect of it.she wants you all to do exactly what you are all doing right now,making the product popular. The first product isn't that popular and the copycat, her personalty is popular so she is using it to market her product.at the end of the day, she will apologies but the product is already popular. If I hear say that first woman sue dabota? Sue ko suede ni. Where money speaks,bullshit always keep quite

1 Like

Re: Billionaire Wife Dabota Lawson Accused Of Stealing (photos) by omogidi234(m): 10:39am On Aug 25, 2016
It would be practically impossible to recover damages against her for passing off thier product except if they registered industrial design. I know a lot of us don't do that registration which is key.

1 Like

Re: Billionaire Wife Dabota Lawson Accused Of Stealing (photos) by LesbianBoy(m): 10:57am On Aug 25, 2016
But why this girl never born sef?

1 Like

Re: Billionaire Wife Dabota Lawson Accused Of Stealing (photos) by Sanchez01: 12:09pm On Aug 25, 2016
Well, we might not know for sure if Dermis granted Dabota a patent right. It might as well be a lost cause for Dermis if their products are not patented. By the way, I can find a place precisely in the photos where one company called out the other.

What am I saying sef?

Milo's container (I mean the sardine Milo) is exactly the same as Titus (brand) itself, while Meisha looks exactly like Geisha. It's all about patent. Unfortunately enough, most of these brands don't patent their products and Dabota, I'm sure, she would have done her research to figure this.

Unfortunately for Natrual Dermis, if it truly happens to be that their bottling and packaging styles are not duly patented, then this is nothing but hot air and it's dead on arrival.

Re: Billionaire Wife Dabota Lawson Accused Of Stealing (photos) by Patented: 1:05pm On Aug 25, 2016
There is more to intellectual property rights than what you have said.
you have:
Patents-referring to Inventions.
Designs - referring to Designs (product design and packaging)
copyright- referring to artistic works, photos, sound, writings etc
Trade marks- referring to words, phrases and logos.

First the rights allegedly infringed here are Design rights and not Patents. Now the fact that Natural Dermis has not registered their design rights (we are not sure of the registration status) is not the end of the world. lack registration makes a claim for infringement impossible. However the aggrieved person can always make a claim for "passing off" ie due to the similarity in the packaging the copying party is said to be passing off its products as those of the aggrieved party.

So Natural Dermis can always sue for passing off if their design is not registered.

Sanchez01:
Well, we might not know for sure if Dermis granted Dabota a patent right. It might as well be a lost cause for Dermis if their products are not patented. By the way, I can find a place precisely in the photos where one company called out the other.

What am I saying sef?

Milo's container (I mean the sardine Milo) is exactly the same as Titus (brand) itself, while Meisha looks exactly like Geisha. It's all about patent. Unfortunately enough, most of these brands don't patent their products and Dabota, I'm sure, she would have done her research to figure this.

Unfortunately for Natrual Dermis, if it truly happens to be that their bottling and packaging styles are not duly patented, then this is nothing but hot air and it's dead on arrival.

Re: Billionaire Wife Dabota Lawson Accused Of Stealing (photos) by Sanchez01: 1:25pm On Aug 25, 2016
Patented:
There is more to intellectual property rights than what you have said.
you have:
Patents-referring to Inventions.
Designs - referring to Designs (product design and packaging)
copyright- referring to artistic works, photos, sound, writings etc
Trade marks- referring to words, phrases and logos.

First the rights allegedly infringed here are Design rights and not Patents. Now the fact that Natural Dermis has not registered their design rights (we are not sure of the registration status) is not the end of the world. lack registration makes a claim for infringement impossible. However the aggrieved person can always make a claim for "passing off" ie due to the similarity in the packaging the copying party is said to be passing off its products as those of the aggrieved party.

So Natural Dermis can always sue for passing off if their design is not registered.

Lol... Never knew someone uses paten.ted as a moniker. On to more serious things, patent is a very broad discourse with varying angles to it. Also, there are different types of patent, varying from design to utility, ie., function (of the said product).

Utility Patent: If you have a new, useful invention that is not obvious to others in the field of invention, you may qualify for a utility patent. Utility patents are grouped in five categories: a process, a machine, a manufacture, a composition of matter, or an improvement of an existing idea. Often, an invention will fall into more than one of the categories. For instance, computer software can usually be described both as a process (the steps that it takes to make the computer do something) and as a machine (a device that takes information from an input device and moves it to an output device). Regardless of the number of categories in which an invention falls, only one utility patent may be issued on it. Among the many types of creative works that might qualify for a utility patent are biological inventions; new chemical formulas, processes, or procedures; computer hardware and peripherals; computer software; cosmetics; electrical inventions; electronic circuits; food inventions; housewares; machines; and magic tricks. If you acquire a utility patent, you can stop others from making, using, selling and importing the invention. A utility patent last for 20 years from the date that the patent application is filed.

Design Patent: If you create a new and original designthat ornaments a manufactured device, you may qualify for a design patent. A design patent is granted for product designs—for example, an IKEA chair, Keith Haring wallpaper, or a Manolo Blahnik shoe. You can even get a design patent for a computer screen icon. There are strings attached to a design patent, too. As noted, the design must be ornamental or aesthetic; it can’t be functional. Once you acquire a design patent, you can stop others from making, using, selling and importing the design. You can enforce your design patent for only 14 years after it’s issued.
http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/types-patents.html
http://www.neustel.com/Design-Utility-Patents/Design-Patent-vs-Utility-Patent.aspx

Unfortunately, what comes to the mind of many whant 'Patent' is mentioned is invention and innovation of something never seen or fashioned before

Like I earlier stated, Natural Dermis can only make something for themselves if indeed they are the first to use such packaging designs. Albeit, the world, as it stands, barely pay attention to design patents and mostly channel their energy on utility patent. Every thin of milk, regardless of brand, have the same shape, just like sardine cans all over the world. The same applies to Mayos and chili containers.

Bottom line: Natural Dermis is only agree to see that a local brand is rising to the ocassion here. They should calm down and be ready for stiff competition.
Re: Billionaire Wife Dabota Lawson Accused Of Stealing (photos) by Patented: 4:32pm On Aug 26, 2016
Like I said Dermis can always claim for passing off reason is that the goods look almost identical and the get up is very similar. the fact that the wold does not pay attention much to designs (as you say) does not change what the law says and does not mean you will fail in a claim for passing off or infringement of design.

where there is a remedy under the law it exists as such even if it is rarely used. All it requires is for one person to claim it. Designs are being registered on a daily basis and the reason is that many people still take their designs seriously.

Sanchez01:

Lol... Never knew someone uses paten.ted as a moniker. On to more serious things, patent is a very broad discourse with varying angles to it. Also, there are different types of patent, varying from design to utility, ie., function (of the said product).

http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/types-patents.html
http://www.neustel.com/Design-Utility-Patents/Design-Patent-vs-Utility-Patent.aspx

Unfortunately, what comes to the mind of many whant 'Patent' is mentioned is invention and innovation of something never seen or fashioned before

Like I earlier stated, Natural Dermis can only make something for themselves if indeed they are the first to use such packaging designs. Albeit, the world, as it stands, barely pay attention to design patents and mostly channel their energy on utility patent. Every thin of milk, regardless of brand, have the same shape, just like sardine cans all over the world. The same applies to Mayos and chili containers.

Bottom line: Natural Dermis is only agree to see that a local brand is rising to the ocassion here. They should calm down and be ready for stiff competition.
Re: Billionaire Wife Dabota Lawson Accused Of Stealing (photos) by safarigirl(f): 9:40pm On Aug 26, 2016
Perfecttouch:
See business strategy! Nobody is even seeing this from the market strategy aspect of it.she wants you all to do exactly what you are all doing right now,making the product popular. The first product isn't that popular and the copycat, her personalty is popular so she is using it to market her product.at the end of the day, she will apologies but the product is already popular. If I hear say that first woman sue dabota? Sue ko suede ni. Where money speaks,bullshit always keep quite
lol....Nigerian mentality

Wait until they sue and kick off Dabota from the market, you must think broke asses are the ones who invest in cosmetics business....because one girl is throwing around a man's money, you're shouting money talks. Na her money?

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

(GRAPHIC Photo) A Lady Got Drunk On Her Valentin Day's Outing / WIZKD Half Brother Brags"i'm Over Bobrisky,im The Flyest Of Them All" / This Cute Little Bride Is The Very Definition Of Slay

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.