Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,217 members, 7,818,740 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 11:45 PM

West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) - Music/Radio (21) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) (47671 Views)

Airforce 1 On STV Right Now, Nigerian Idols season V / Pepsi Nigerian Idols / Dare Art Alade On American Idols? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by bode4onyx(m): 2:27pm On Jun 06, 2007
timi won, ? no shizzus but i would have preferred oma , anyway up timi , e no easy o
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by Netimah: 4:15pm On Jun 06, 2007
LawyerChap,

I happen to have followed your summaries of the show from the beginning. I found your posts a source of impartial, level-headed, and reliable information on what was going on. Of recent, I guess after the top 4 performances, you seemed to had it in for Timi. You started sounding speculative and you started throwing up issues that had nothing to do with the Timi's performances like self-esteem issues and IQ issues. At a point you even said he "had loads of issues." May I ask, did Timi offend you personally in anyway? I cannot connect your ealier comments on Timi, see below, and your recent mud slinging. At a point, you even insulted the whole of Africa by saying that we do not know what good music sounds like. Com'on.

Just to refresh your memory see some of your previous posts:

Top 10 Performance:
One of the surefire hits of Idols West Africa is Timi. With a distinct voice that is instantly recognizable once you’ve heard him sing, Timi brought the house down with a version of Luther Vandross’ Dance with my father that had tons more attitude than the laid-back original. The crowd went wild as Timi sprang the song’s variations on us. Already a firm favourite for the title, a fan club appears to be forming around Timi. Arguably the strongest male performer on the night.

Top 8 Performance:
Timi came with his A-game on Sunday night singing Clay Aiken’s “Don’t let the sun go down on me.” I was speechless from the first note. He connected with the audience in a phenomenal way, particularly with the knee slide with the microphone stand true rocker style. His voice fitted the song like a glove and he managed just the right inflections of feeling to give the song a life different from what all the great artistes who have done this song managed to give it. It was obviously the performance of the night. Watch out for Timi. He could be in the Top3 as well.

Top 7 Performance:
Timi. Oh Timi. From the moment Mike Majic announced that he would be singing Lionel Richie’s “Stuck on you” I knew Africa was in for a real treat seeing as it seemed like the perfect kind of song for his voice. But nothing prepared me for what the boy from Bayelsa was about to show us. The first note sounded like a milk-rich cappuccino sliding all warm and silky down your throat. And he kept it there, warm rich undertones highlighting a perfectly modulated rendition of the timeless masterpiece. He was already looking good for the performance of the night but he was not done with us yet. Not by a long shot. As he wound down his performance, singing with pure soul he reached down to the front row and picked out a young lady in white whom he tenderly led up the steps onto the stage. He gave her a slow twirl singing to her all the while and folded her into an embrace on his final note. It was pure dynamite. And Planet One exploded. The audience was in a frenzy of adoration. The judges were on their feet applauding hard. Abrewa Nana was beside herself with emotion. Whether Timi had scripted the move or if he had decided on it on the spur of the moment, it was powerful enough to reduce Nana to tears. It was very moving indeed to see a seasoned musician moved to tears by someone who was completely unknown two months ago. Trust me, everyone who saw that performance will be voting for Timi. That gives Timi the performance of the night two weeks in a row.

Top 6 Performance:
Timi the current darling of Idols fans (across Nigeria at least) was next singing Sunny Neji’s Wedding Anthem “Oruka.” That warm voice never fails to get the crowd going and Sunday was no different. He was getting into the groove with the audience when catastrophe struck. He appeared to lose concentration and consequently totally lost track of the beat. It seemed like an otherworldly experience to hear Timi singing off beat and try as hard as he could, the damage from missing his cue was all but irreparable. But he showed real class and quick thinking by abandoning the script and improvising brilliantly for all of ninety seconds with a spur of the moment ad-lib extravaganza that seemed scripted. I was speechless with admiration for this gifted young man who had turned certain disaster into a resounding triumph. I think he’s the Idol if he can fight off Jodie for these remaining few weeks.

Top 5 Performance:
When Timi was announced as performing Flying Without Wings, a song performed by Westlife and reprised by Reuben Studdard on American Idol, I got all warm and tingly because I thought Timi was going to totally bring it with that track. And he got off to a beautiful start. There’s no quarreling with that voice. It’s a voice that will sell millions of cds, if he can just manage to stay with the beat. For the second performance in a row, Timi lost concentration and went off beat. Not many noticed as they were carried away with the sheer appeal of that honeyed voice, but he lost track of the beat and tried to improvise with much less success than last time. If you know that song, listen to the end of Timi’s rendition and you’ll find that it doesn’t quite sit with the music. Timi, pay attention to the music. Leave the fans alone, they love you anyway. Mess up again and you’ll find out just how fickle Idols fans are.

Timi needed to redeem himself from his first performance and he did so brilliantly with another great performance. This time it was Michael Bolton’s “How am I supposed to live without you.” He brought that voice to full effect singing a song that seemed written for it. Timi is definitely the favourite for the title. He truly is a phenomenal singer and performer.
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by uchetobi(f): 4:20pm On Jun 06, 2007
@Netimah
Word. am with you on this
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by lawyerchap(m): 5:35pm On Jun 06, 2007
@Netimah
I have nothing but admiration for Timi's talent. Not once have i questioned his phenomenal gift. He has one of the best voices i have heard in a very long time. However we all agreed that the Idols title should go to someone who is as close to the finished product as possible and that package would include looks, communication skills, stagecraft, intelligence, self-confidence and of course a good voice. As the competition wore on and i began to get more revealing insights into Timi's personality, it dawned on me that here was an immensely talented artiste with crucial deficiences in other departments. If you watched his Interviews, you'd realise that Timi is not the brightest chap around, and for me i felt it wasn't only about the voice, there was more to being the Idol.
At that point i realized that Omawumi was the closest thing to the finished product. She had looks, communication skills, stagecraft, intelligence, self-confidence and a good voice (albeit not as good as Timi's). I was being objective about who should be the Idol, not partisan as you would have liked me to be. From my posts you highlighted you would almost make me out as a Timi fan, but as you said, the turnaround was so sudden it seemed he had offended me. That turnaround can only be explained on the grounds of objectivity. Timi, in the light of his deficiencies, no longer fitted the billing as West African Idol because, for me, it called for having more than just a good voice.
Aside from when i said he had IQ issues, which i ensured was understood to be my personal opinion, i have never said a malicious word about Timi, so i don't know where the charge of mudslinging is coming from. The debate has been who would have been a better idol: Omawumi or Timi. I have never turned around to say Timi cannot sing, my comments have only gone to the totality of the package they both had to offer. If you look carefully, i have been more involved in pushing my opinion that Omawumi would have made a better Idol than in castigating Timi, which i have never done.
As for Africa not knowing what good music is, i never said that. I said Africa is a continent of simpletons, which is a fact, not an opinion. But that is a post for another day.
Netimah, we have managed to keep this thread interesting and beef-free thus far. Admittedly the debate has gotten pretty lively at some points but when you come in with your first post bandying words like "mudslinging" it leaves me wondering what your true intent is. No beef. Just keeping it real.
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by uchetobi(f): 5:44pm On Jun 06, 2007
@ LAwyerchap I don’t think he meant any fight. My understanding is that he read through all your post and was wondering (like I did) why you suddenly turned 360 on Tim to Oma. Now you’v clarified. Its your opinion. The winner remains the winner. No need to get tiffled. Well-done your summaries were interesting and enlightening. Ive been following it religiously even if I have not commented since.
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by Netimah: 6:50pm On Jun 06, 2007
Lawyerchap,

Thanks for your response. I wish to point some remarks you made that I refer to as mud slinging.

In response to Icon you said; "By the way, we know who the champion is at going off-beat, and he happened to still win Idols, so big-deal." I consider this an attempt to discredit Timi's superlative performances except one, as attested by you. Second, you've made remarks like Timi will not sell records; He will only sell because Africa is a continent of simpletons, etc. Personally, I think some of these remarks made in attempts to prove your point that Omawumi would have made a better Idol is just pushing it beyond the limits of decent debate. Also, you've said something like Omawumi would have done better with Timi's single, I love You and Timi would have done an awful job on Omawumi's single, I Got You. I don't even understand where that comparison comes from. Apparently, the songs were chosen for them by Sony BMG after evaluating each of them. I believe they used a producer's lenses in deciding a song that suits each of them. I think it is like saying, John Legend will do a bad job on Beyonce's Irreplaceable; and Beyonce would have done a better job on John Legend's Ordinary People; therefore, Beyonce is a better singer than John Legend. The logic is flawed. They are both different kinds of artistes.

You said, "However we all agreed that the Idols title should go to someone who is as close to the finished product as possible and that package would include looks, communication skills, stagecraft, intelligence, self-confidence and of course a good voice." To this, may I humbly ask who constitutes the "we"? Because the people who matter, the viewing public, spoke loud and clear 63% to 37% that Timi is the Idol they want.

Just for debate purposes let's even take these issues one at a time.

Looks: What is wrong with Timi? He has a good height, strong facial features, healthy skin, even dark complexion, dark full hair, sexy Africa lips, long white teeth, great smile, flat tummy, he walks with a spring in his steps, he is masculine , Truth is that if you are looking out for something in someone, good or bad, you will see what you want to see. Everyone may not find Timi beautiful to behold, but I know many people who do.

Communication skills: Timi always got his message across. He always spoke English not vernacular. If you read his blog on the mnet website, he always got his message across. He was always straight to the point. He had a central theme in all his messages. His fans understood him. That is communication. That is more than I can say for some of the other top 10.

Stagecraft: I don't have to say much. He was a trailblazer. I even noticed that Eric started mimicking his moves at a point.

Self confidence: Do you know something we don't know about Timi? Because if all you did was watch him on TV like the rest of us then you would have seen that at his top 24 performance, he did showed lots of confidence. I saw lots of attitude from him on stage. His body language always showed a man in control of his environment and his destiny. Remember at the end of the top 3 show, he took the two ladies hands and danced with them? Give Timi a break. Only a man with lots of self confidence could have smashed the stage the way that Timi did.

Intelligence: Till I see the results of a standard IQ test, I think it is unfair to declare someone whom you have never taught or sat in class with as having low IQ just because he forgot the lyrics of a song on stage.

Good Voice: No debate.

I have been a silent reader as my recall of the subject's history shows. That doesn't diminish my rights to speak my mind like everyone else. I think Timi should be given a break. Let his album hit the stores. Time and the market will tell.

@ uchetob: Thanks. You are right. I meant no fight.
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by thabs: 7:06pm On Jun 06, 2007
@ lawyerchap

You wrote,
"However we all agreed that the Idols title should go to someone who is as close to the finished product as possible and that package would include looks, communication skills, stagecraft, intelligence, self-confidence and of course a good voice"

I have to disagree here, where did we all agree that the Idols title should go to someone who is as close to the finished product as possible,  etc.?

I would say it is impossible that we all agreed, because human beings will never all agree on something, especially not on a forum where we debate and express our own opinions.

In your next sentence you wrote
"As the competition wore on and i began to get more revealing insights into Timi's personality, it dawned on me that here was an immensely talented artiste with crucial deficiences in other departments. If you watched his Interviews, you'd realise that Timi is not the brightest chap around, and for me i felt it wasn't only about the voice, there was more to being the Idol."

I understand that these are your  views and opinions, but it is not everyone's feelings or beliefs.  What you want in an Idol is not necessary what others require. 

I go back to American Idol history, do you know Fantasia who won the third year of Idols confessed that she was "illiterate".  She is generally not considered to be "a good looking package".  But,  her performances and passion when she sings, translates and connects with some people.  People would not generally say  Ruben Studdard has good  looks, great communication skills or stagecraft.  What he has is a great voice and a certain likeability factor that endeared him to his fans.

Last year, Taylor Hicks a 29 year old gray haired guy, who some said looked 40, won.  He tried for years to get signed by a record label, but his "package" was not good enough for the record executives.  Kelly Clarkson also could not get signed by a record company in the normal way. 

There is no set  formula, of why people choose their Idol.  Each and every Idol is so different from the year before.  It is simply at the end of the day,  who connects most with the viewers to get their votes. 

Jodie, a brilliant singer, who the judges really tried to sway the public with, just did not connect with the viewers enough to get their votes.  The person this year who some said was the best "singer" in American Idols just did not get the viewers to vote enough for her.  The Idols winner is  the choice of the PEOPLE,  this year for the majority of people, their choice was Timi.

I chose my Idol , Timi,  based on  the fact that I absolutely love his voice, it affects me emotionally, for me, he was the best singer,  and  his performances (stagecraft)  mesmerised  me.  I was blown away by him numerous times.    That is my criteria.  Each person has their own requirements on what they want from an Idol.
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by bonini: 8:49pm On Jun 06, 2007
I am very happy that Timi won and can't wait for his cd to reach South Africa so that I can get a copy.  He is a fantastic singer!  As for Omawomi, she tried too hard to be american, is an average singer whom I would listen to in a free entrance bar but would not spend money to buy her cd or go to a live performance show of.

The issues that LawyerChap and others are talking about, I think you guys have issues, we are Africans, english is our second if not third or forth language and we don't have to be good at it.   For being polished, what is being polished?  I am not Nigerian and I love Timi.

For those who are still talking about Jodie, get over it already!  She's history.  She did not impress many people, myself included and she left, tough thats life.  She is a good singer but will I buy her cd, no! As for the duet with that other chap (can't remember his name), he was useless and she totally dominated him.  She was very good though.  Had she done it with Timi, I believe it would have been fantastic.

As for the finalists new singles, I can't even understand how anyone can compare Timi to Omawomi's.  She was totally outclassed.  It was a no competition.

The best singer won at the end of the day.  Lets all be happy and support him and prepare for season 2.  By the way season 4 of Idols South Africa is coming soon!

Lawyerchap, you were objective until someone in Omawomi's camp bribed you. Thank goodness it did not work.  Pay back the bribe as you couldn't deliver the goods i.e. get Omawomi some votes to win the competition.  I guess like Omawomi herself, you got big headed because we trusted you and thought you could sell Oma to us using excuses like Timi has a low IQ.  Who cares about his IQ, all we want is to be entertained!
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by hype: 8:49pm On Jun 06, 2007
@ Netimah. Perfectly said. @ lawyerchap. I dont know what you mean by the word "we all agreed" or did some of us miss the conference or is it a normal idol criteria 4 deciding who wins?
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by hype: 9:48pm On Jun 06, 2007
@ lawyerchap. You said u wonder wat side dat puts me now? I would boldly tell you that its still on the same side. You mentioned something like the world would be stunned if we had presented oma" maybe u wanted to use the word "dissappointed". What is so special about her dat they haven't seen and heard before. The world already has a lot of artist like her. Maybe its because of the christina aguilera song she did dat is amazing u so much so u keep making reference to that her performance. "They have their own christina aguilera already"
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by chukky76(m): 7:40am On Jun 07, 2007
bonini so anyone supporting omawunmi has got to be bribed? what kind of "objective" reasoning is that? the problem with fanatics is that they can't see or believe anything apart from what they've set their minds on. thats why they are different from fans.

lawyerchap has been and will remain the only objective person on this thread. as was pointed out earlier u said he gave a non biased view right from the beginning. to him picking the right idol was the goal. not necessarily the better or best singer , if such a variable can actually be measured, but to pick the best idol that we could present to the world.

so what u now call bias as a result of your blind sighted fanatism is only lawyerchap being a man of his word and sticking to his pre established goal which was PICKING THE BEST IDOL.
like someone said earlier daughtry was runner up in one of the previous idols but has sold more records that the winner for that year, was it clay? thats what happens when u hinge your votes on sentiments instead of simple objectivity and logic. the wrong idol was chosen that year. record sales don't lie.

records are sold not on adorability and voice, but total packaging. DR DRE can't rap. we all know that. PUFF DADDY can't rap, neither can he sing. but the packaging of these artists/ producers and their proteges are top notch. thats why they sell records.

timi has only his voice going for him. an idol needs much more.

lets hope you guys didnt choose the wrong idol.

the continent of simpletons thingy. i seriously concur. bite me.
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by Netimah: 8:00am On Jun 07, 2007
Well, well.

@ chukky76: You talk of album sales as if you live in the furture. Neither Timi nor Omawumi has an album in the market. Can't we just wait for the market to speak before we go on and on about record sales?

Idols is first a singing competition. Timi out-sang, out-performed, and out-entertained every other contestant on that stage. Let's just leave it at that. wink
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by thabs: 8:55am On Jun 07, 2007
@ Chukky76.

Daughtry outsold Taylor Hicks who was the winner last year. Daughtry was the original chosen one, but went out fourth. Daughtry put out an excellent cd, was given huge radio play and the main reason why he sold so much is that Idols used one of his songs as the song which was played every week when somebody was sent home on Idols. That was tremendous exposure for his cd, more people hear it, more buy it, the more it is played on radio, more people hear it, buy it, etc. etc.
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by hype: 10:45am On Jun 07, 2007
@ chukky 76. Where is ur sense of humour? Bonini saying lawyerchap was bribed must have meant it as a  joke. Why would u say the only thing timi has is his voice? I think u are only being sentimental cos everybody dat watched idol knew he was a good performer, very confident, perfect physique, humble, classical charisma, good stepper etc. As 4 album sales how did u know oma would do better than timi cos the last time we checked non of them has an album to his or her name. Or do u know something we dont?
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by lawyerchap(m): 11:44am On Jun 07, 2007
@All,
I apologize most profoundly for my presumptuousness in believing that we wanted an idol as close as possible to the finished product. It struck me as a legitimate parameter by which right-thinking people would choose their Idol. I also got the general idea from posts from a number of people on this thread. There was no conference at which this was agreed and i apologize for misleading anyone into believing that this was a general consensus. However, i would like to ask: by what parameters did we then set out to pick our idol? Or we just voted for the best voice? Nothing wrong with that as a parameter but i just felt that being the Idol would require more than just a good voice. Surely, right-thinking people who understand entertainment can find no fault in the parameters on which i based my opinion on who would have made the best Idol:someone as close as possible to the finished product. It is also the parameter on which Sony-BMG, like most other record companies, would have liked to choose an artiste. In my opinion, Omawumi was that person. I'm not saying she had the better voice, but on the totality of the package i think she was it.

@Netimah
I wrote in response to Icon's post where he made an issue of Christina Aguilera's "Ain't no other man" being too fast for Omawumi and i conceded that the beat did threaten to get ahead of her vocals at a point. However, in adversarial debate when your opponent raises an issue, you are entitled to reply in like manner. it's called a riposte. So when he called Omawumi's almost going off-beat into question, it entitled me to bring Timi's going off-beat in not one but three songs into issue. That was not mudslinging, just elementary rules of evidence.

I have always said Timi would sell records regardless of the reason why. He has a phenomenal voice and a huge fan base of adoring fans. However, the majority of Africans do not have highly refined tastes in music, that's why Timi will find himself in a safe zone in Africa. Internationally where tastes are more refined, i don't think he will make as much of an impact as Omawumi would have done. Hype says they have seen and heard artists like Omawumi before. I agree. But have they ever seen one from Africa? That would have been her trump card. The sheer novelty of an African artiste who can stand among the best from the west.

As for the issue of each doing the other's single, that was merely to open our eyes to the versatility we had been alternately promoting and criticizing. My logic is not flawed. But your analogy is. The songs you picked from Legend and Beyonce are so dissimilar to Timi's and Omawumi's. Beyonce's Irreplaceable is a modern day feminist anthem that any male would look ludicrous performing (except perhaps the songwriter, Ne-Yo). But Timi and Omawumi's songs can be performed interchangeably by male or female performers and i felt that the fact that i could see Omawumi doing a credible job of Timi's single but not vice versa meant she was really more versatile than Timi. (I could see Eric doing omawumi's single. Not much of a voice but at least he would be able to give a listenable performance. Timi's voice would not allow for that). The excuse that they are different kinds of artistes is quite tenable, but we must realize that Timi's voice is something of a hindrance when it comes to versatility.

I got my insights into Timi's personality from watching his interviews online. I didn't just watch on TV like the rest of us. Apparently you didn't see those interviews. If you had you would realize that there is truth and objectivity in my contentions that Timi has issues. He has difficulty comprehending simple questions and articulating his answers. When asked who he could see as winning the title besides himself, he named Jodie who had already been evicted. I was ashamed. When asked to do a freestyle for his fans, he did a horrendous mix of talk, muttering under his breath and some dancing that still haunts me at night. But you wrote from a position of incomplete knowledge so you are forgiven for thinking i had it in for him. i was trying to stay as objective as i possibly could, given the facts at my disposal. And based on those facts Timi did not meet my parameters for being selected as the Idol.
But hey, this thing has been won by the lad. He thoroughly deserves to win it. Forgive me for thinking for one second that it could have been anybody else. yet we're all supposed to be free to express our opinions on this thread.

I set out to objectively pick the best Idol, not necessarily the best singer and i stuck to the task till the end. I never turned partisan, and i take exception to Bonini saying i was bribed. but i will not trade words on that score because it is so immature that it merits no credence. If it was a joke, it was in extremely bad taste. I demand to be mollified. grin grin
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by Netimah: 12:00pm On Jun 07, 2007
@Lawyerchap, I apologise for the bribery comment. I think he meant it as a joke. Unfortunately, it did not come off well on you. Sorry about that. I know Bonini loves you. He just loves Timi better. grin
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by bonini: 8:59pm On Jun 07, 2007
I must start by making a public apology to Lawyerchap for my statement which he found offensive, it was really meant as a joke. I do realise and appreciate the fact that you were offended by it and found it in bad taste. Its lingo I normally use with my friends and you guys have become friends to me. Please accept my genuine apology. I love you man, and didn't mean to hurt your feelings. I am really sorry.

I must still disagree with you on Omawumi. She would never make it internationally. She's not even a quarter near to what it would take to make it internationally as a female pop/whatever it is she sings star. Timi on the other hand, might just crack it internationally! At the expense of reapiting myself "who cares about Timi's english or communication skills". The dood can sing and is a good entertainer full stop! A lot of the international singers are really not intelligent at all. J Low asked "who Prime Minister Junichiro Koizumi is" when she was in Japan! Who are we to judge Timi a boy from the third world. I could come up with lots more examples but for the sake of saving time will leave it hear. All you need is a good management team.
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by Imani(f): 9:43pm On Jun 07, 2007
Can we just applaud these singers who showcased their talents to the public and entertained us.

They all had their strengths and weaknesses.

Debating over other people's future about what they will or will not become is futile.
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by myro(m): 10:10pm On Jun 07, 2007
from all the grammer on this thread. one would think we were discussing world peace and the nuclear future of the universe. guys, it was west african idols. timi won, everyone else lost. END OF STORY!!!!!! let it go
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by bonini: 5:48am On Jun 08, 2007
Guys! the reality is that these guys are in the public eye now and will be debated. They have to get used to it and indeed embrass it if they want to sell records and be successful! If we are going to spend our hard earned money on them we have every right to debate them whichever way we want, positively or negatively.
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by zukkie4eva(f): 3:13pm On Jun 08, 2007
Hhehehehehehehehehhahahahahahaha!!!!!! grin grin, can't stop laffing, Myro, u got me rolling. grin grin grin. Myro, u r d man!!. I like your take jare cheesy.
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by hype: 8:40pm On Jun 08, 2007
@ lawyerchap. You are expressing ur views as much as every other person on this thread is and because its a thread where anyone is free to say anything even if they decide to go offtopic. therefore anything said in here is debatetable, its either ur views are accepted or not.  You said the fact that omawummi is 4rm west Africa will give her a much acclaimed international recognition. I'll interprete ur point this way "The fact dat we are  Africans, we are suppose to see ourself as having an advantage once we can do something someone from the western world can do even if its not up to their standard" As for me i dont think so!  to me she dosen't have a spectular voice dat can attract first time listeners talkless of someone purchasing a whole album. But for timi he has a voice dat can keep u waiting till the song ends. As 4 his steps i must say u are the first person have seen dat didn't like it. If i may ask what sort of dance are you into?
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by 9ja4eva: 10:51pm On Jun 08, 2007
Timi d main man.

Congrats oh.Use ur fame n wealth well
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by Icon(m): 11:15pm On Jun 08, 2007
Men, I never knew the thread was getting more and more lively. Something must have gone wrong with my notifications, I didn't even see LawyerChap's reply to my post.
Anyway, Lawyerchap, I've read the arguments so far. I think we agree on some things but disagree on others. I agree Timi has flaws and I agree Omawumi is versatile. I agree Timi might not be able to do justice to as many songs as Omawumi can do. I initially was undecided about my final choice until a few days to the end. I knew I had to choose someone, and I didn't want to make a choice I would regret. Honestly, if it was Jodie vs Timi, I would have been more than confused, because I was biased towards Jodie from day one. Nevertheless, I chose Timi due to the following reasons.
[list]
[li]Most Number of impressions: Timi consistently had the best performance of the night a couple of times. His performance became something to look forward to. Omawumi just tagged along until Jodie left. Her first real impressive performance which can be tagged "Performance of the night" was "I will survive". [/li]
[li]Connection with the audience: Timi can connect with the audience. Timi has a way of demonstrating the song with his every expression such that you actually think he went through the story of the song. Omawumi does not do that as much as Timi. Her versatility here did not help matters. [/li]
[li]Creativity: Timi proved his creative abilities a couple of times. (1)The short mic stand he used for "don't let the sun go down on me" (2)The knee slide in the same song (3)The lady he pulled up during the "Stuck on you" (4)His wild dance in front of the judges during his "faith". Omawumi showed creativity only once. Her start off position during "I bruise easily. Some would argue about her performances during "I will survive" and "Ekwe" but they weren't as unique as what Timi did. They could have been done by anyone else singing the same song[/li]
[/list]
True, Timi went off beat a couple of times, but Omawumi went off key a lot. Both are very bad mistakes for any artist and I won't argue about which is worse. They both messed up with that.
Now let's talk about "producer's choice". If I were a Sony/BMG producer and I were to choose, I would still have chosen Timi, because of the points above. I would choose someone who will connect with the crowd (= addicted fans), someone who is creative ( = commited viewers), someone who has been in people's minds as one of the best (arguably the best) right from the top 10 performance and not just coming into the limelight during the later half of the performances like Omawumi did (= longer lasting impression). Also, for Omawumi, I don't remember all her performances, for Timi, I remember his every song which still points at Longer Lasting Impression. All these equals to CD sales, and that what every music producer wants. To me, that's a complete package.
Now let's talk about flaws.
Going off beat- that's easily taken care of in the studios.
Diction- A good finishing school will take care of that
Looks - He's already looking much better than he did in the auditions.
I wasn't so much Timi's fan initially. I was Jodie's and after she left, I refused to have any favorites. If you followed my blog, you'll discover that I was unbiased all through and didn't show my choice for the title until after the results came out. I chose Timi due to the points mentioned above.
Cheers Man. Let's keep keeping it real.
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by Imani(f): 11:19pm On Jun 08, 2007
But the contest has been over for over 2 weeks?

Why are people still speaking big grammer and anaysing what is past?
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by 9ja4eva: 11:26pm On Jun 08, 2007
I weak oh

Timi dey im house dey sleep now
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by Imani(f): 11:28pm On Jun 08, 2007
9ja4eva:

I weak oh

Timi dey im house dey sleep now

grin grin grin

And some people are taking panadol for his supposed headache grin
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by 9ja4eva: 11:33pm On Jun 08, 2007
Ha i weak oh

Seun shld be distributing Panadol Extra on nland cos dem too carry people wahala for head

No disrespect
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by thabs: 9:48am On Jun 09, 2007
@ Imani

Two weeks!!! that is nothing, people are still discussing 4 years later whether Ruben should have beaten Clay in American Idols and that includes the press in America. That is the nature of the "Idols game". Fan base rivalry and competition that never ends in comparison be it cd sales, concert appearances, most tv appearances, etc who has made the most money, etc. wink
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by Imani(f): 10:39am On Jun 09, 2007
thabs:

@ Imani

Two weeks!!! that is nothing, people are still discussing 4 years later whether Ruben should have beaten Clay in American Idols and that includes the press in America. That is the nature of the "Idols game". Fan base rivalry and competition that never ends in comparison be it cd sales, concert appearances, most tv appearances, etc who has made the most money, etc. wink

Well, i guess nigerians are getting into the celebrity culture.

Lets just hope the so called celebrities appreciate their fans.
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by 9ja4eva: 10:21am On Jun 10, 2007
Oh yeah cos most of dem dnt.
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by bagoma(f): 10:06pm On Jun 10, 2007
myro:

from all the grammer on this thread. one would think we were discussing world peace and the nuclear future of the universe. guys, it was west african idols. timi won, everyone else lost. END OF STORY!!!!!! let it go
haa ha ha ha grin grin grin grin grin grin grin,
that got me rolling with laughter till tears rolled out of my eyes.
damn! that was so funnnnnnny!!!! grin

(1) (2) (3) ... (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) (Reply)

Opinion : Top Five Nigerian Singles That Attained International Acclaim / Wizkid Joins Justin Bieber On Stage To Perform Essence: PICS & VIDEO / Ayo Orowale, Broadcaster Is Dead (Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 130
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.