Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,503 members, 7,819,826 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 01:40 AM

French Police Make Woman Remove Clothing On Nice Beach Following Burkini Ban - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / French Police Make Woman Remove Clothing On Nice Beach Following Burkini Ban (1397 Views)

How China Helped Remove Robert Mugabe, ‘Dozing Despot’ / 19 dead and 59 injured Following An Explosion In Manchester (Graphic screenshot) / US Police Make Arrests As Clash Erupt Outside Republican National Convention (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

French Police Make Woman Remove Clothing On Nice Beach Following Burkini Ban by sunnywinter(f): 10:13am On Aug 25, 2016
Photographs have emerged of armed French police confronting a woman on a beach and making her remove some of her clothing as part of a controversial ban on the burkini.

Authorities in several French towns have implemented bans on the burkini, which covers the body and head, citing concerns about religious clothing in the wake of recent terrorist killings in the country.

The images of police confronting the woman in Nice on Tuesday show at least four police officers standing over a woman who was resting on the shore at the town’s Promenade des Anglais, the scene of last month’s Bastille Day lorry attack.

After they arrive, she appears to remove a blue long-sleeved tunic, although one of the officers appears to take notes or issue an on-the-spot fine.

The photographs emerged as a mother of two also told on Tuesday how she had been fined on the beach in nearby Cannes wearing leggings, a tunic and a headscarf.

Her ticket, seen by French news agency AFP, read that she was not wearing “an outfit respecting good morals and secularism”.

“I was sitting on a beach with my family,” said the 34-year-old who gave only her first name, Siam. “I was wearing a classic headscarf. I had no intention of swimming.”

A witness to the scene, Mathilde Cousin, confirmed the incident. “The saddest thing was that people were shouting ‘go home’, some were applauding the police,” she said. “Her daughter was crying.”

Last week, Nice became the latest French resort to ban the burkini. Using language similar to the bans imposed earlier at other locations, the city barred clothing that “overtly manifests adherence to a religion at a time when France and places of worship are the target of terrorist attacks”.

The Nice ban refers specifically to the truck attack in the city on 14 July that claimed 86 lives, as well as the murder 12 days later of a Catholic priest near the northern city of Rouen.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/aug/24/french-police-make-woman-remove-burkini-on-nice-beach

N.B: I'm a Christian, but I feel this is quite wrong. However, there was a ban in place, which she should have considered.

1 Share

Re: French Police Make Woman Remove Clothing On Nice Beach Following Burkini Ban by Gmajor(m): 10:18am On Aug 25, 2016
When in france behave like the french. Moreover she was breaking the law so...
Re: French Police Make Woman Remove Clothing On Nice Beach Following Burkini Ban by ETHIX(m): 10:19am On Aug 25, 2016
Good
Re: French Police Make Woman Remove Clothing On Nice Beach Following Burkini Ban by braine(m): 10:23am On Aug 25, 2016
See what religion is doing to humanity.
Re: French Police Make Woman Remove Clothing On Nice Beach Following Burkini Ban by bigboss80s(m): 10:38am On Aug 25, 2016
Very good. They should learn to obey the law because IT IS THE LAW OF THE LAND.
Muslims act like they only answer to Allah.
No u answer to the government first, and then to whatever god or devil u serve. Rubbish!
Re: French Police Make Woman Remove Clothing On Nice Beach Following Burkini Ban by Nobody: 10:41am On Aug 25, 2016
Nice one
Re: French Police Make Woman Remove Clothing On Nice Beach Following Burkini Ban by ATERI(m): 11:27am On Aug 25, 2016
Say no to religious terrorism, whether by the French authorities or Isis suicide bomber! Why should a woman dress like a prostitute on the beach?
Re: French Police Make Woman Remove Clothing On Nice Beach Following Burkini Ban by holyfather(m): 6:40am On Aug 26, 2016
She should dress like other women in the beach.
What's there to hide?
This is what Nigerian government should adopt.
Re: French Police Make Woman Remove Clothing On Nice Beach Following Burkini Ban by jobnation(f): 3:30pm On Oct 17, 2016

Re: French Police Make Woman Remove Clothing On Nice Beach Following Burkini Ban by freesinzu(m): 10:30am On Nov 08, 2016
sunnywinter:
Photographs have emerged of armed French police confronting a woman on a beach and making her remove some of her clothing as part of a controversial ban on the burkini.

Authorities in several French towns have implemented bans on the burkini, which covers the body and head, citing concerns about religious clothing in the wake of recent terrorist killings in the country.

The images of police confronting the woman in Nice on Tuesday show at least four police officers standing over a woman who was resting on the shore at the town’s Promenade des Anglais, the scene of last month’s Bastille Day lorry attack.

After they arrive, she appears to remove a blue long-sleeved tunic, although one of the officers appears to take notes or issue an on-the-spot fine.

The photographs emerged as a mother of two also told on Tuesday how she had been fined on the beach in nearby Cannes wearing leggings, a tunic and a headscarf.

Her ticket, seen by French news agency AFP, read that she was not wearing “an outfit respecting good morals and secularism”.

“I was sitting on a beach with my family,” said the 34-year-old who gave only her first name, Siam. “I was wearing a classic headscarf. I had no intention of swimming.”

A witness to the scene, Mathilde Cousin, confirmed the incident. “The saddest thing was that people were shouting ‘go home’, some were applauding the police,” she said. “Her daughter was crying.”

Last week, Nice became the latest French resort to ban the burkini. Using language similar to the bans imposed earlier at other locations, the city barred clothing that “overtly manifests adherence to a religion at a time when France and places of worship are the target of terrorist attacks”.

The Nice ban refers specifically to the truck attack in the city on 14 July that claimed 86 lives, as well as the murder 12 days later of a Catholic priest near the northern city of Rouen.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/aug/24/french-police-make-woman-remove-burkini-on-nice-beach

N.B: I'm a Christian, but I feel this is quite wrong. However, there was a ban in place, which she should have considered.

Your cute kiss

1 Like

Re: French Police Make Woman Remove Clothing On Nice Beach Following Burkini Ban by Katyusha(m): 6:42pm On Nov 08, 2016
ATERI:

Say no to religious terrorism, whether by the French authorities or Isis suicide bomber! Why should a woman dress like a prostitute on the beach?
Is it your country? Is it her country?
Re: French Police Make Woman Remove Clothing On Nice Beach Following Burkini Ban by sunnywinter(f): 11:26am On Nov 28, 2016
freesinzu:
Your cute kiss
Thanks smiley
Re: French Police Make Woman Remove Clothing On Nice Beach Following Burkini Ban by freesinzu(m): 11:31am On Nov 28, 2016
sunnywinter:

Thanks smiley
ur welcome

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Madness In Russia: Topless Road Safety Campaign (pictures & Video) / Yoruba Becomes Second Official Language In Benin Republic / Meet The Kenyan Senator Who Flew In A Helicopter To Help Build A Mud Classroom

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.