Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,300 members, 7,819,019 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 10:05 AM

Top 10 Novels To Read Before You Die - Literature (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Top 10 Novels To Read Before You Die (9438 Views)

Name Your Top 5 Novels Of All Time You Would Like Your Friends To Read. / 5 Greatest Old African Novels To Read Before You Die. / Top 5 Books You Should Read Before Turning 25 Years Old (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Top 10 Novels To Read Before You Die by MSMnigeria: 7:08pm On Aug 25, 2016
Antarch:
It's impossible to pick only 100 books out of the thousands of great novels written in the last century. I can only name three (or perhaps four) random ones that I have really really enjoyed reading in the last couple of years...

John Grisham's The Firm
Thomas Harris' Hannibal (and Silence of the Lambs)
Elechi Amadi's The Concubine

The concubine I love this book. RIP ELECHI AMADI
Re: Top 10 Novels To Read Before You Die by geez18(m): 7:50pm On Aug 25, 2016
OP i've got some to add to your list

-The man from Ó.R.G.Ƴ. (vol 1&2)

-The Tai Pan.

-Hell's candidate.
Re: Top 10 Novels To Read Before You Die by Boooooooooni: 8:05pm On Aug 25, 2016
Well, I've read Things fall apart and Not a Penny more not a penny less.
But Op, why didn't you add any of Tom Clancy's books??
Re: Top 10 Novels To Read Before You Die by chabod2015: 8:09pm On Aug 25, 2016
Re: Top 10 Novels To Read Before You Die by Temitoppe(m): 8:14pm On Aug 25, 2016
MSMnigeria:
We all have our definitions of interesting, so what i find interesting might not interest you, but feel free to make you own list.

1. Things fall apart... everyone has heard about this book but not everyone has read it. QUITE CAPTIVATING

2. Murder on the orient express

3. The kite runner... very emotional

4. Not a penny more, not a penny less.... an accurate revenge thriller, and extremely entertaining

5. The Godfather

6. A thousand Splendid Sun

7. Catch 22

8. One hundred years of solitude

9. The brothers Karamazov

10.Hitchhiker`s guide to the galaxy... the best for the last. if you`ve not read this you haven`t lived properly

is there a movie for any of those?
Re: Top 10 Novels To Read Before You Die by MSMnigeria: 8:14pm On Aug 25, 2016
Boooooooooni:
But Op, why didn't add any of Tom Clancy's books??

Tom Clancy which of his books?
Re: Top 10 Novels To Read Before You Die by MSMnigeria: 8:17pm On Aug 25, 2016
Temitoppe:

is there a movie for any of those?

The God father I think, dunno about the rest
Re: Top 10 Novels To Read Before You Die by Temitoppe(m): 8:19pm On Aug 25, 2016
MSMnigeria:

The God father I think, dunno about the rest

Ok. thanks
Re: Top 10 Novels To Read Before You Die by Boooooooooni: 8:36pm On Aug 25, 2016
MSMnigeria:

Tom Clancy which of his books?
Go check out Splinter cell and The bear and the Dragon

1 Like

Re: Top 10 Novels To Read Before You Die by Nobody: 8:40pm On Aug 25, 2016
umar745:
All splendid books, but the list is missing the Alchemist by Paolo coelho.

Khaled Hosseini the author of a thousand splendid sun and kite runner is a man. Someone commented above and said she.

And to the person who couldn't get past the first chapter of hitchhiker guide to the Galaxy, what do you consider funny or witty

I am reading The Alchemist currently
@ post...I have read Things Fall Apart, Not a penny more..., The Godfather, Catch22 (which, for the life of me is a lipsrsealed)..
For some reason I hate reading soft copies of books, or I would have read The Brothers Karamanov and 100 years of solitude

One person gave a list that included your suggested best read, and To kill a mockingbird (a touching, beautiful read) and 1984 (I have it, but kinda lost it....as I am always buying all those cheap novels from importers who bring in books, some of which would even have chewing gum stuck to them cheesy...well, I bought 33 at a time, and somehow, 1984 slipped away...I have to look for it and read....if I dont find it, I am calling the police!!!!

1 Like

Re: Top 10 Novels To Read Before You Die by Nobody: 8:51pm On Aug 25, 2016
Boooooooooni:
But Op, why didn't you add any of Tom Clancy's books??

With no disrespect meant, but now screaming, "did I just see Tom Clancy!!!!!! angry shocked angry....what in the world!!?"
He is not meant for any of these top ten, hundred, million cheesy books to read before.....

Well, except maybe if there were lists like, "top ten uber technical and soulless novels to...,",or "top ten novels you can read if you are a novice to a field, say engineering, and you want to become one overnight".....you get the drift?

He has a serious affair going on with jargon and technicalities, and I could never be lost in his books..you know, the way one would imagine buying bread from a baker named Enzo and going to Sicily and etc
A person who is blunter than myself would just say Clancy is a bore and a chore to read (to me sha)

1 Like

Re: Top 10 Novels To Read Before You Die by Nobody: 9:04pm On Aug 25, 2016
I've only read two of the books on that list

I suggest any Leon Uris book at all! He is a god among authors. I haven't had time to read in a while but I should cry
Re: Top 10 Novels To Read Before You Die by ericsimons18: 9:34pm On Aug 25, 2016
MSMnigeria:
We all have our definitions of interesting, so what i find interesting might not interest you, but feel free to make you own list.

1. Things fall apart... everyone has heard about this book but not everyone has read it. QUITE CAPTIVATING

2. Murder on the orient express

3. The kite runner... very emotional

4. Not a penny more, not a penny less.... an accurate revenge thriller, and extremely entertaining

5. The Godfather

6. A thousand Splendid Sun

7. Catch 22

8. One hundred years of solitude

9. The brothers Karamazov

10.Hitchhiker`s guide to the galaxy... the best for the last. if you`ve not read this you haven`t lived properly

Even with all this ... If you have not read "WILD SWANS" ... by JUNG CHENG , you still haven't read anything.

1 Like

Re: Top 10 Novels To Read Before You Die by MacSmart(m): 9:41pm On Aug 25, 2016
MSMnigeria:

Haven't read any of them actually but i'll urge you to read the HP series. You can thank me later

Yea on it for d 3rd time: prisoner of Azkaban; JK Rowling is a beast.
Re: Top 10 Novels To Read Before You Die by geez18(m): 9:45pm On Aug 25, 2016
merahki:

With no disrespect meant, but now screaming, "did I just see Tom Clancy!!!!!! angry shocked angry....what in the world!!?"
He is not meant for any of these top ten, hundred, million cheesy books to read before.....

Well, except maybe if there were lists like, "top ten uber technical and soulless novels to...,",or "top ten novels you can read if you are a novice to a field, say engineering, and you want to become one overnight".....you get the drift?

He has a serious affair going on with jargon and technicalities, and I could never be lost in his books..you know, the way one would imagine buying bread from a baker named Enzo and going to Sicily and etc
A person who is blunter than myself would just say Clancy is a bore and a chore to read (to me sha)
i'd agree with you that Clancy's books tend to be somewhat anticlimactic but then,he packs a lot of energy in his works by way of research. i'll suggest - The Sum Of All Fears - it's quite an interesting read but of course you must be a fan of the genre espionáge to truly appreciate his works.

when you said "chore" i hope it is not an allusion to the volume of his book?
Re: Top 10 Novels To Read Before You Die by Sanni45(m): 9:46pm On Aug 25, 2016
uchennamani:
If you haven't read any of those, then the dog named Buhari is just better of than you.
Is it dat bad?
Re: Top 10 Novels To Read Before You Die by MacSmart(m): 9:47pm On Aug 25, 2016
abdeiz:

I understand if its your first time reading SciFi books, same reaction when it came out decades ago but it set the tone for all future SciFi works. It was the pacesetter.

Yep, I might try it in d later future; might be interested then.
Re: Top 10 Novels To Read Before You Die by MacSmart(m): 9:49pm On Aug 25, 2016
umar745:
All splendid books, but the list is missing the Alchemist by Paolo coelho.

Khaled Hosseini the author of a thousand splendid sun and kite runner is a man. Someone commented above and said she.

And to the person who couldn't get past the first chapter of hitchhiker guide to the Galaxy, what do you consider funny or witty

Well, maybe I didn't see it as funny/witty ( despite critical acclaim for its humour) but I might it later on.
Re: Top 10 Novels To Read Before You Die by Tuoyofelix(m): 9:52pm On Aug 25, 2016
John Grisham's : A Time to Kill.
Re: Top 10 Novels To Read Before You Die by Tuoyofelix(m): 9:52pm On Aug 25, 2016
John Grisham's : A Time to Kill.
Re: Top 10 Novels To Read Before You Die by AlPeter: 10:11pm On Aug 25, 2016
MSMnigeria:

Haven't read any of them actually but i'll urge you to read the HP series. You can thank me later
what the you mean HP
Re: Top 10 Novels To Read Before You Die by AlPeter: 10:11pm On Aug 25, 2016
MSMnigeria:

what do you by mean HP?
Re: Top 10 Novels To Read Before You Die by iamsegsy(m): 10:18pm On Aug 25, 2016
What about this ones

Before I go to sleep by S.J Watson...I so much love this one, just seen d movie recently.
Gone girl by Gillian Flynn
The Girl on the train by Paula Hawkins

Just to mention a few....
Re: Top 10 Novels To Read Before You Die by ANAKONDA: 10:33pm On Aug 25, 2016
Hmmm
Re: Top 10 Novels To Read Before You Die by KenyAyan(m): 10:40pm On Aug 25, 2016
Stutern, a platform that provide internship jobs for undergrads and recent grads is excited to announce their 2016 Nigeria Internship Fair. They are actually promising that 1000+ internships will be available and that all candidates will be screened, meaning only the best will be invited to participate. The good thing is that they have success stories and with this fair they can connect top talents with exciting employers, in just 1 day. If you are young (undergrad or recent grad) and still looking for job or internship this fair is a promising! Applications for candidates and employers are now opened here - www.stutern.com/fair

All the best. My own two cent.
Re: Top 10 Novels To Read Before You Die by Mekus7720(m): 11:05pm On Aug 25, 2016
that's nice
Re: Top 10 Novels To Read Before You Die by Nobody: 11:46pm On Aug 25, 2016
Let me add

1. The Good Earth

2. Anna Karenina

3. The Catcher in the Rye

don't bother reading the first two if you have short attention span

1 Like

Re: Top 10 Novels To Read Before You Die by MSMnigeria: 11:47pm On Aug 25, 2016
AlPeter:
what do you by mean HP?

Lol Harry Potter series

1 Like

Re: Top 10 Novels To Read Before You Die by 1231awa(m): 5:42am On Aug 26, 2016
sinaj:
u still have it?

You may download it from here:
https://www.google.com.ng/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=0ahUKEwiM2Znqn97OAhXpKcAKHVYjDDsQFggaMAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.kkoworld.com%2Fkitablar%2FXaled_Xosseyni_Shefeq_sachan_min_gunesh_eng.pdf&usg=AFQjCNE5fKbO2eMDaifX2w8-lhO9iFmGHg&bvm=bv.130731782,d.d24
Re: Top 10 Novels To Read Before You Die by sinaj(f): 5:49am On Aug 26, 2016
1231awa:

https://www.google.com.ng/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=0ahUKEwiM2Znqn97OAhXpKcAKHVYjDDsQFggaMAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.kkoworld.com%2Fkitablar%2FXaled_Xosseyni_Shefeq_sachan_min_gunesh_eng.pdf&usg=AFQjCNE5fKbO2eMDaifX2w8-lhO9iFmGHg&bvm=bv.130731782,d.d24
o! Thanks smiley
Re: Top 10 Novels To Read Before You Die by sinaj(f): 5:55am On Aug 26, 2016
1231awa:

d site isn't opening pls
Re: Top 10 Novels To Read Before You Die by 1231awa(m): 6:18am On Aug 26, 2016
sinaj:
d site isn't opening pls

It's not supposed to open, but launch the download once clicked.
Use this instead:
http://www.kkoworld.com/kitablar/Xaled_Xosseyni_Shefeq_sachan_min_gunesh_eng.pdf

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Dear Contemporary African Writer, We Read; We Don't Just Read You / Victor Banjo: A Book By Deji Yesufu / My Virgin Husband Episode 1-2

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.