Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,194 members, 7,822,028 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 02:26 AM

Top 10 Novels To Read Before You Die - Literature (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Top 10 Novels To Read Before You Die (9445 Views)

Name Your Top 5 Novels Of All Time You Would Like Your Friends To Read. / 5 Greatest Old African Novels To Read Before You Die. / Top 5 Books You Should Read Before Turning 25 Years Old (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Top 10 Novels To Read Before You Die by MSMnigeria: 6:23am On Aug 26, 2016
geez18:
OP i've got some to add to your list

-The man from Ó.R.G.Ƴ. (vol 1&2)

-The Tai Pan.

-Hell's candidate.

Hells candidate is a good read
Re: Top 10 Novels To Read Before You Die by MSMnigeria: 6:25am On Aug 26, 2016
merahki:

I am reading The Alchemist currently
@ post...I have read Things Fall Apart, Not a penny more..., The Godfather, Catch22 (which, for the life of me is a lipsrsealed)..
For some reason I hate reading soft copies of books, or I would have read The Brothers Karamanov and 100 years of solitude

One person gave a list that included your suggested best read, and To kill a mockingbird (a touching, beautiful read) and 1984 (I have it, but kinda lost it....as I am always buying all those cheap novels from importers who bring in books, some of which would even have chewing gum stuck to them cheesy...well, I bought 16 at a time, and somehow, 1984 slipped away...I have to look for it and read....if I dont find it, I am calling the police!!!!

The Alchemist is awesome, try find 1984 you'll be glad you did, and the brother karamazov just read it even if it's soft copy
Re: Top 10 Novels To Read Before You Die by MSMnigeria: 6:26am On Aug 26, 2016
ericsimons18:

Even with all this ... If you have not read "WILD SWANS" ... by JUNG CHENG , you still haven't read anything.

Lol would definitely try this out. It had better fall into my definition of interesting
Re: Top 10 Novels To Read Before You Die by sinaj(f): 6:27am On Aug 26, 2016
1231awa:

It's not supposed to open, but launch the download once clicked.
Use this instead:
http://www.kkoworld.com/kitablar/Xaled_Xosseyni_Shefeq_sachan_min_gunesh_eng.pdf
thanks bro
Re: Top 10 Novels To Read Before You Die by 1231awa(m): 6:54am On Aug 26, 2016
sinaj:
thanks bro

Happy reading ma'am.
smiley
Re: Top 10 Novels To Read Before You Die by MacSmart(m): 7:30am On Aug 26, 2016
AlPeter:
what the you mean HP
Harry Potter

1 Like

Re: Top 10 Novels To Read Before You Die by jauntty: 8:59am On Aug 26, 2016
MSMnigeria:
We all have our definitions of interesting, so what i find interesting might not interest you, but feel free to make you own list.

1. Things fall apart... everyone has heard about this book but not everyone has read it. QUITE CAPTIVATING

2. Murder on the orient express

3. The kite runner... very emotional

4. Not a penny more, not a penny less.... an accurate revenge thriller, and extremely entertaining

5. The Godfather

6. A thousand Splendid Sun

7. Catch 22

8. One hundred years of solitude

9. The brothers Karamazov

10.Hitchhiker`s guide to the galaxy... the best for the last. if you`ve not read this you haven`t lived properly
where can I get the pdf format??
Re: Top 10 Novels To Read Before You Die by AlPeter: 9:00am On Aug 26, 2016
MSMnigeria:

Lol Harry Potter series
thanks I have just haven't been able to finish the last book of the series.
Re: Top 10 Novels To Read Before You Die by shakrullah(m): 9:06am On Aug 26, 2016
Just downloaded all the books, pray I will have time to read them all
Re: Top 10 Novels To Read Before You Die by Alhajipablo(m): 1:04pm On Aug 26, 2016
shakrullah:
Just downloaded all the books, pray I will have time to read them all
where did u download d books from?
Re: Top 10 Novels To Read Before You Die by jiinxed: 12:51am On Aug 27, 2016
nice
Re: Top 10 Novels To Read Before You Die by Nobody: 7:39am On Aug 27, 2016
my best rated books EVER for now are

Waiting to Exhale by Terry McMillan
The Exorcist by William Peter Blatty
Things Fall Apart by Chinua Achebe
White Girl Problems by Babe Walker
The Help by Kathryn Stockett
Valley of the Dolls by Jacqueline Susann
Shadow of the Dolls by Rae Lawrence & Jacqueline Susann
Sold by Patricia McCormick
Hollywood Wives by Jackie Collins
Confessions of a Shopaholic by Sophie Kinsella
Gossip Girl #1 & #2 by Cecily von Ziegesar
And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie
Psychos: White Girl Problems #2 by Babe Walker
Something Blue by Emily Griffin ( sequel to Something Borrowed )
The Devil Wears Prada by Lauren Weisberger

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Top 10 Novels To Read Before You Die by Alhajipablo(m): 7:58am On Aug 27, 2016
selflessmaya:
my best rated books EVER for now are

Waiting to Exhale by Terry McMillan
The Exorcist by William Peter Blatty
Things Fall Apart by Chinua Achebe
White Girl Problems by Babe Walker
The Help by Kathryn Stockett
Valley of the Dolls by Jacqueline Susann
Shadow of the Dolls by Rae Lawrence & Jacqueline Susann
Sold by Patricia McCormick
Hollywood Wives by Jackie Collins
Confessions of a Shopaholic by Sophie Kinsella
Gossip Girl #1 & #2 by Cecily von Ziegesar
And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie
Psychos: White Girl Problems #2 by Babe Walker
Something Blue by Emily Griffin ( sequel to Something Borrowed )
The Devil Wears Prada by Lauren Weisberger

if u want the any of them let me know, i'll link u to my google drive to take it... you're welcome. smiley

do u av any other Nigerian classic apart from things fall apart?
Re: Top 10 Novels To Read Before You Die by Nobody: 8:06am On Aug 27, 2016
Alhajipablo:
do u av any other Nigerian classic apart from things fall apart?

i just listed my top rated books, if there's a book u want, tell me, i'll try and find it for u. smiley
Re: Top 10 Novels To Read Before You Die by Alhajipablo(m): 9:22am On Aug 27, 2016
selflessmaya:

i just listed my top rated books, if there's a book u want, tell me, i'll try and find it for u. smiley
chai the books I want plenty small o;The passport of Mallam Ilia,Joys of Motherhood,The concubine.In fact if I can get a number of the pace setter series,I'll appreciate it.
Re: Top 10 Novels To Read Before You Die by Nobody: 11:07am On Aug 27, 2016
Alhajipablo:
chai the books I want plenty small o;The passport of Mallam Ilia,Joys of Motherhood,The concubine.In fact if I can get a number of the pace setter series,I'll appreciate it.

hehehe, nigerian literature is VERY hard to find on the internet. explains why my list is mostly non-nigerian books with the exception of things fall apart which is nigeria's biggest export in my opinion and EVERYWHERE! many ppl just dont make the effort to re-create african ebooks. sad, i've read all the 3 books u listed before and would love to read them again someday as i guess is also the case with u.. smiley
Re: Top 10 Novels To Read Before You Die by Alhajipablo(m): 11:42am On Aug 27, 2016
selflessmaya:

hehehe, nigerian literature is VERY hard to find on the internet. explains why my list is mostly non-nigerian books with the exception of things fall apart which is nigeria's biggest export in my opinion and EVERYWHERE! many ppl just dont make the effort to re-create african ebooks. sad, i've read all the 3 books u listed before and would love to read them again someday as i guess is also the case with u.. smiley
I've not had d opportunity of reading any of d afforelisted books.
Re: Top 10 Novels To Read Before You Die by shakrullah(m): 12:24pm On Aug 27, 2016
Alhajipablo:
where did u download d books from?
Just type each of the books on Google with pdf at the front
Re: Top 10 Novels To Read Before You Die by Nobody: 6:14pm On Aug 27, 2016
geez18:

i'd agree with you that Clancy's books tend to be somewhat anticlimactic but then,he packs a lot of energy in his works by way of research. i'll suggest - The Sum Of All Fears - it's quite an interesting read but of course you must be a fan of the genre espionáge to truly appreciate his works.

when you said "chore" i hope it is not an allusion to the volume of his book?

Hey...hope good
When I said "chore", I was/am not alluding to the volume....I am a sucker for looong, "dry" ( slow moving) books...so Tom Clancy's books dont even have volume enough for me
They are just a chore...a drag...a task..from their very being, and essence cheesy, not volume

I think I read "sum of all fears" ....and is it " patroit games"? And others. And for a while espionage was my thing...Leon Uris, Robert Ludlum (almost all of them I devoured), The Executioner series, James Bond, and many others....my father left me a book and book reading legacy...so I loved espionage for a looong while, until I fell for drama, and psyche-comedo-tragedy mostly unlabelled genres....I started appreciating story telling more than genres if you get what I mean
I found out one time (hit) wonders and books by relatively unknown writers are amazing, once in a while genius springs up from them and takes the sails from right under you! shocked kiss...now I am genre-less
A spot of bother by Mark Haddon would convince you...Angela's ashes, and etc...I digress, apologies

So back to Mr Clancy's books.
They were okay...even good....but his books are certainly- not- books -to read -before -dying....one can actuallly live till 150 and give his books a miss, and be totally good! cheesy

I grew up with books, and read wide....reading classics (you dont even wanna knowww) and Harrold Robbins and James Baldwin and Mauve Binche and Agathe Christie and Jackie Collins and Grisham and Patterson and absolutely loved the Twilight series and absolutelyest hated the unconvincing bad read that is Fifty shades (so bad that I stopped halfway into the first volume)....I am both into deep and shallow reads, all me...however I would judge people whose best reads to read before dying included stuff like Tom Clancy and the devil wears prada et al!!!! shocked . Granted, I have read, and even liked most of them, butti, lipsrsealed)
(Zips it now)
Cheers
Re: Top 10 Novels To Read Before You Die by Nobody: 6:28pm On Aug 27, 2016
MSMnigeria:

The Alchemist is awesome, try find 1984 you'll be glad you did, and the brother karamazov just read it even if it's soft copy

Hello
Will do @ try to find 1984... will get The Brothers later, when I go browsing a shop where they import second and even fifth hand books and sell at ridiculously low prices that suit me just right.

I dont want to get into reading novels as soft copies. I hated it the few times I did. There is something solid, real and magical about turning the leaves of a book, placing page marks inside books or plain dog earing which is what I do cheesy. I solemnly swore that I will be faithful to hard copies, in defiance to, well, the internet and all...and I am keeping that vow cheesy

1 Like

Re: Top 10 Novels To Read Before You Die by Nobody: 6:37pm On Aug 27, 2016
I sincerely wasnt dissing people's book choices with my posts above
Was just explaining myself and my own choices
Not that anyone cares shocked
Re: Top 10 Novels To Read Before You Die by Arch1: 9:42am On Jan 29, 2017
merahki:

I am reading The Alchemist currently
@ post...I have read Things Fall Apart, Not a penny more..., The Godfather, Catch22 (which, for the life of me is a lipsrsealed)..
For some reason I hate reading soft copies of books, or I would have read The Brothers Karamanov and 100 years of solitude

One person gave a list that included your suggested best read, and To kill a mockingbird (a touching, beautiful read) and 1984 (I have it, but kinda lost it....as I am always buying all those cheap novels from importers who bring in books, some of which would even have chewing gum stuck to them cheesy...well, I bought 33 at a time, and somehow, 1984 slipped away...I have to look for it and read....if I dont find it, I am calling the police!!!!
Hi Bro, do you reside in Lagos? If yes, where do you buy your books at cheap prices as you claimed in this comment?
Re: Top 10 Novels To Read Before You Die by Nobody: 3:27pm On Mar 01, 2017
Arch1:
Hi Bro, do you reside in Lagos? If yes, where do you buy your books at cheap prices as you claimed in this comment?

Hi
So sorry about the no response
And I live in the SE, not Lagos
and get the books from a shop in my city
Re: Top 10 Novels To Read Before You Die by uraniumman(m): 2:04pm On Jun 12, 2020
Top 10?! I would recommend even the top 20 if you like. Currently, i'm reading my 49th novel, i'm good at it now. So good, that I may think of starting to write my novel. What genre do you prefer? I might recommend you my top 5 of adventure novels 1."Legend of Swordsman" 2. The Charm of Soul Pets" 3. "Transcending the Nine Heavens" 4. "Perfect World" 5. "Silver Overlord". If you are the same as me into this "adventure life" you can find them on light novel websites. If you don't like as much as me this genre, you can find easily another one. As the novels are given some stars above, you can choose the most recommended.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Those Who Live In Glass Houses Should Not Throw Stones / Victor Banjo: A Book By Deji Yesufu / Dear Contemporary African Writer, We Read; We Don't Just Read You

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.