Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,313 members, 7,811,933 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 12:05 AM

Cross River To Legalise Street Hawking - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Cross River To Legalise Street Hawking (9005 Views)

Senate Moves To Legalise Lobbying In Nigeria / 5 Things That Could Happen If The Lagos Hawking Ban Is Enforced / Ban On Hawking: Traders Arrested In Lagos (Pic) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Cross River To Legalise Street Hawking by tete7000(m): 12:18pm On Aug 26, 2016
This is how to make enforceable law. Any law that doesn't take people's cultural value into consideration like they do in Lagos will overtime die a natural death. Ambode should take note. Hawking is part of our cultural heritage. It's a way of life for some people, the only thing they learn to do. Their grandparents handed it down to their patents who ended handing it over to them too. Except you reorientate such people and spend a lot to give them a new lease of life, I don't see how you will change them. Let our sociologists and anthropologists help advise our government when making decisions.
Re: Cross River To Legalise Street Hawking by BrainnewsNg(f): 12:18pm On Aug 26, 2016
KnowAll:
Then what happens to d billions wasted in building Tinapa. If everyone were to hawk nobody will hire those shops and d government will obviously have poured water down a draining pipe. If this bill see d light of day then common road side stall will find it difficult to operate.

Politics in Africa might not be as easy as one thinks outside the black shoe
Re: Cross River To Legalise Street Hawking by ucheokpara100(m): 12:20pm On Aug 26, 2016
Nigerian leaders with unreasonable decisions............., if u empower a man with low mentality u 'll probably creat more problm to the society.

1 Like

Re: Cross River To Legalise Street Hawking by mmsen: 12:22pm On Aug 26, 2016
This is shorted sighted and stupid for a state that is obsessed with telling the nation that it is the center of tourism.

Street hawking is unsightly and tourism is largely about aesthetics. No one wants to go to a dirty congested place, especially if they already live in Ibadan or Lagos.

Who wants to dodge street hawkers on the road when on vacation?

Why do these people take to hawking before they take to farming?

Ben Ayade is trying too hard to appeal to poor people and is ignoring the implications of this decision.

1 Like

Re: Cross River To Legalise Street Hawking by mailmitch(m): 12:22pm On Aug 26, 2016
This is a vry gud decision by d governor. Its all abt regulatng thm and givng evrybdy opportunity go earn a decent living
Re: Cross River To Legalise Street Hawking by Peterosky(m): 12:26pm On Aug 26, 2016
Enuguboy4nsk:

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2016/08/c-river-legalise-street-hawking/
.Good 1 my governor.There is really nothing wrong in street hawking except d age and dressing mode.I like this.
Re: Cross River To Legalise Street Hawking by kyrios: 12:26pm On Aug 26, 2016
ceejay80s:
these street hawkers ugly nobe small, they should be arrested and jailed for uglyness
for your mind you fine ?
Re: Cross River To Legalise Street Hawking by jrusky(m): 12:29pm On Aug 26, 2016
This is good move I support it in as much they are not hawking to commit crime I don't see any reason why these innocent ones seeking their daily bread should not be allow to do their hawking. Lagos has be so insensitive about hawking in the name of building a useless mega city people are jobless and hungry but Lagos were busy talking my foot mega city bullshit.

Any time I see these doing their business and are being harrassed it pains me a lot the govt want no criminals and those who left their homes in the morning to stand out there till dawn the same govt still go after them and you don't want criminal isn't

What Lagos forgot was that bit by bot the commercial city of Nigeria they proud themselves about is gradually sinking and being replaced systematically with administrative business and I never see any country or city that want to live on administrative economic and survived its not possible.

Please let the River State legalize it quick when Nigeria needs mega city then we will ask for it but for now let every soul get engage in something that will better his or her life is the priority right now in other to reduce crime and not mega nonsense.

Anyone that has the love of the common man in the street is always my respected fellow because if there are no poor people or low class people there will never be rich people or upper class people so if you suppressed them you have by your own silliness suppressed you livelihood because when the trouble is coming its the rich man house it will first go. Kidnapper will go to market to the kidnap a vulcanizer or shoe cobbler, armed robber will not go to pepper seller and be asking for 10 million naira so that is the way it goes.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Cross River To Legalise Street Hawking by Peterosky(m): 12:33pm On Aug 26, 2016
mmsen:
This is shorted sighted and stupid for a state that is obsessed with telling the nation that it is the center of tourism.

Street hawking is unsightly and tourism is largely about aesthetics. No one wants to go to a dirty congested place, especially if they already live in Ibadan or Lagos.

Who wants to dodge street hawkers on the road when on vacation?

Why do these people take to hawking before they take to farming?

Ben Ayade is trying too hard to appeal to poor people and is ignoring the implications of this decision.
.Mayb u need 2 read read the part where he talked abt d timing vests and age so as not 2 constitute nuisance.Pls dont insult my governor.Dis is a beautiful decision 4d poor masses n we d Cross Riverians r ok wit dat so pls stop complaining.Tanks.
Re: Cross River To Legalise Street Hawking by somegirl1: 12:33pm On Aug 26, 2016
KnowAll:
Then what happens to d billions wasted in building Tinapa. If everyone were to hawk nobody will hire those shops and d government will obviously have poured water down a draining pipe. If this bill see d light of day then common road side stall will find it difficult to operate.

How many hawkers can afford to rent shops?

1 Like

Re: Cross River To Legalise Street Hawking by blacksahara: 12:36pm On Aug 26, 2016
Enuguboy4nsk:
When we told some people that there is nothing wrong with hawking they were busy throwing tantrums
The governor killed it with the bolded “Prohibiting hawking is to tell a man that you don't want to give him food,
and you don’t also want him to steal, it is unfair

thats 100% correct, there is nothing wrong with hawking both morally and legally and even socially...i know some nairalanders here dont earn up to 5k a week ut then imagine a hawker who sells atleast 500 galas in a day in the traffic will be making 500× 50= 25000 Naira....lets say his capital is 15,000 naira he still has 10,000 gain....then 10,000×30=300,000 naira a month; assuming you slash the money by even half he still has 150,000 naira gain..thats by far more than what most civil servants earn yet some people will open their dirty mouth to yan dust.

hawking is better than stealing

infact hawking is a business

if you think hawking is better than pushing drugs in Indonesia and getting killed click 'like'
You are out of tune with reality. Folks like u think of ideas, launch and make profit in your head alone. Why not join the train and hawk gala?
Selling 500 galas a day is not exactly a walk in the park and the profit is no way near what u quoted. 300k profit a month? You really don't know what you're talking about.
Re: Cross River To Legalise Street Hawking by ceejay80s(m): 12:38pm On Aug 26, 2016
DrLee:

Mr. Nigeria, if those boys upload their best shot like you did for your profile pic, they will most likely be more handsome than you.

MY profile pix no be my best pic o
Re: Cross River To Legalise Street Hawking by Nobody: 12:38pm On Aug 26, 2016
blacksahara:

You are out of tune with reality. Folks like u think of ideas, launch and make profit in your head alone. Why not join the train and hawk gala?
Selling 500 galas a day is not exactly a walk in the park and the profit is no way near what u quoted. 300k profit a month? You really don't know what you're talking about.
thats why i slashed by half to 150,000Naira...ode!
Re: Cross River To Legalise Street Hawking by seguntijan(m): 12:39pm On Aug 26, 2016
In all ramification Lagos State is a microcosm of a Nation so what's officially accepted in other state might be criminally inclined in Lagos State due to the characteristics of an over populated town.
Re: Cross River To Legalise Street Hawking by globatop: 12:39pm On Aug 26, 2016
BrainnewsNg:

Hmmmmmmmm
Noted

Ur analysis is out of this world, can a gala seller sell 500pcs a day consistently? Neither can he make 10% of his turnover as profit.

The risk out weigh it's benefit. There are better ways the Governor can be identified with the masses, for whatever reason can a Governor child hawk.
Re: Cross River To Legalise Street Hawking by mmsen: 12:40pm On Aug 26, 2016
Peterosky:
.Mayb u need 2 read read the part where he talked abt d timing vests and age so as not 2 constitute nuisance.Pls dont insult my governor.Dis is a beautiful decision 4d poor masses n we d Cross Riverians r ok wit dat so pls stop complaining.Tanks.

Hawkers are going to want to be out when the traffic is greatest otherwise it's a waste of their time.

I've never needed to buy anything from a hawker, not sure why they are deemed essential.

There are lots of shops and supermarkets in Calabar, at least two malls (if you include Tinapa) and two markets so why are the hawkers needed?

If they want to set up roadside kiosks, then that is different - at least that is orderly, you can easily monitor what is being sold and collect the requisite taxes.

Hawkers are unsightly and reflect poorly on a city.

I hope whoever is voting on this issue has more sense than the governor. This is a cheap, quick fix that is irresponsible and short sighted.

What next after this? Okadas to ply the streets of Calabar? Keke Napep everywhere?

The previous administrations worked too hard to build Calabar's reputation as a clean, civilized city for one man to come into office and decide to destroy it all to placate village dwellers who don't want to farm.

1 Like

Re: Cross River To Legalise Street Hawking by lordkhalifa(m): 12:40pm On Aug 26, 2016
KnowAll:
u are free to go and rent a shop in tinapa or patronised people selling goods they... God made all hands not to be equal, u can't tell them to stop hawking in streets because they can't afford a lockup shop @ur tinapa.. I'm even certain great number of people will prefer to buy from the street than buying from high classic super glass lockup shops... even in america u want to copycat peeps still hawk in streets and road side
Re: Cross River To Legalise Street Hawking by mmsen: 12:45pm On Aug 26, 2016
jrusky:
This is good move I support it in as much they are not hawking to commit crime I don't see any reason why these innocent ones seeking their daily bread should not be allow to do their hawking. Lagos has be so insensitive about hawking in the name of building a useless mega city people are jobless and hungry but Lagos were busy talking my foot mega city bullshit.

Any time I see these doing their business and are being harrassed it pains me a lot the govt want no criminals and those who left their homes in the morning to stand out there till dawn the same govt still go after them and you don't want criminal isn't

What Lagos forgot was that bit by bot the commercial city of Nigeria they proud themselves about is gradually sinking and being replaced systematically with administrative business and I never see any country or city that want to live on administrative economic and survived its not possible.

Please let the River State legalize it quick when Nigeria needs mega city then we will ask for it but for now let every soul get engage in something that will better his or her life is the priority right now in other to reduce crime and not mega nonsense.

Anyone that has the love of the common man in the street is always my respected fellow because if there are no poor people or low class people there will never be rich people or upper class people so if you suppressed them you have by your own silliness suppressed you livelihood because when the trouble is coming its the rich man house it will first go. Kidnapper will go to market to the kidnap a vulcanizer or shoe cobbler, armed robber will not go to pepper seller and be asking for 10 million naira so that is the way it goes.

Many cities, the most prosperous ones, have been built on the financial services and adjacent industries. Singapore, Hong Kong, London, New York are built on the service industries. They bring in far more money than you could make with 100 million street hawkers with much less mess or chaos.

Street hawking is unsightly, uncivilized and leads to traffic issues. There is no need for such activity in the 21st century, especially in a place like Lagos with new malls being built every few months.

Lagos is changing for the better - let us get rid of the hawking, the okadas, the danfos and all the other curses that have blighted the city over the years.

If you desire FDI or even internal investment you must make the environment appealing, that includes the physical environment. Nobody wants people standing in the road trying to sell them junk.

Hawking is not a sign of prosperity but of poverty. If you want to attract wealth then you must act accordingly.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Cross River To Legalise Street Hawking by jchima14: 12:47pm On Aug 26, 2016
Mrscarrott:
Dat's bad

THIS GUY IS SCAM!!! PLEASE DO NOT CALL OR PAY FOR HIS DATA.

HE IS A BIG 419. HE ASKED ME TO SEND 2K AS ETISALAT CARD FOR 5GB WHICH WILL BE SENT BY DATASERVICES. BUT IT WAS ALL SCAM!!!

TILL TODAY HE IS NO LONGER PICKING HIS CALLS. HIS OTHER NUMBER IS 08133236038

BEWARE!!!

ADMIN PLEASE BAN THIS THIEF FROM NL. THESE ARE THE KIND OF PEOPLE GIVING YOUR FORUM A BAD NAME

1 Like

Re: Cross River To Legalise Street Hawking by Nobody: 12:50pm On Aug 26, 2016
After all, patoranking came from that route. Good initiative.
Re: Cross River To Legalise Street Hawking by Deepfreezer(m): 12:56pm On Aug 26, 2016
Nobody was born a hawker, people engage in hawking cos they don't HV any more option. With as low as 5k u can start hawking. Some make money from hawking and eventually rent a shop.
The governor talked about a uniformed vest for them , age and timing and that is so fantastic.
God bless cross river

1 Like

Re: Cross River To Legalise Street Hawking by OrlandoOwoh(m): 12:58pm On Aug 26, 2016
Keneking:
A tale of two governors:

"“We are making provisions for a hawkers’ corridor. There must be a minimum age, you must be 18 and they must be seen to be properly dressed with reflective vests. They must have a time zone of when they come out, so as to be able to make optimal sales because we don’t want them to constitute nuisance in the environment.” - Prof. Ben Ayade

“The issue is we need to enforce our laws because we already have a law in respect of that and then there is a clause in it which says the buyer and the seller are both liable and that we are going to fine them either N90, 000 or a six month jail term." Mr. Abimbola Ambode
Source :http://www.lagosstate.gov.ng/2016/07/01/lagos-goes-tough-on-street-trading-hawking/
Accessed: 26 August 2016 12:04pm

Click "like" if you agree with Ben Ayade/ "Share" for Abimbola Ambode
Why didn't you make it three, by including the Governor of Abia State who also banned hawking?
Re: Cross River To Legalise Street Hawking by OrlandoOwoh(m): 1:01pm On Aug 26, 2016
mayorchelsea:
publicity stunt.Is there a law prohibiting Street hawking in the state?
Re: Cross River To Legalise Street Hawking by blacksahara: 1:13pm On Aug 26, 2016
Enuguboy4nsk:

thats why i slashed by half to 150,000Naira...ode!
I know you did. Hawkers don't even earn 150k a month. if u are so sure why not join them.
Ignorance is really a disease, one you are suffering from. Its folks like u that get scammed through pipe dreams.
Who's d ode now?
Re: Cross River To Legalise Street Hawking by Brainy007: 1:49pm On Aug 26, 2016
Jayceo:
It is high time Intelligent,Patriotic Youths with the interest of Nigerias growth at heart start getting involved. We can't leave the state of Nigeria in the hands of this same criminals we keep recycling.Lets join together and take back our country. Imagine 100,000 youths contribute 50,000 that's already 5 billion naira enough for campaign among other things. We can either assemble a strong force or Join a notable party with the interest of the Nation screened by us. Enough of the Nairaland compalaining and social media rants. Lets get to work youths of Nigeria. The power is in our hands.Lets Restructure the Fiscal federalism of this Nation and Make it great.

Note:- By youths I don't mean small minded,corrupt, tribalistic, visionless youths

To gain more insight on this please go through this thread https://www.nairaland.com/3274457/calling-all-nigerian-youths

Oga make we hear word. Which yeye youths?! This ones that make stupid and unguided comments on nairaland everyday?! From how I see it, our youths of today are worse than their fathers that are in power.

1 Like

Re: Cross River To Legalise Street Hawking by 3sexy: 2:27pm On Aug 26, 2016
KnowAll:

Bros u funny sha , so u think these street hawkers can afford shops in tinapa ?

People like u will make life difficult for the common man

1 Like

Re: Cross River To Legalise Street Hawking by ceeethru(m): 3:22pm On Aug 26, 2016
Enuguboy4nsk:
When we told some people that there is nothing wrong with hawking they were busy throwing tantrums
The governor killed it with the bolded “Prohibiting hawking is to tell a man that you don't want to give him food,
and you don’t also want him to steal, it is unfair

thats 100% correct, there is nothing wrong with hawking both morally and legally and even socially...i know some nairalanders here dont earn up to 5k a week ut then imagine a hawker who sells atleast 500 galas in a day in the traffic will be making 500× 50= 25000 Naira....lets say his capital is 15,000 naira he still has 10,000 gain....then 10,000×30=300,000 naira a month; assuming you slash the money by even half he still has 150,000 naira gain..thats by far more than what most civil servants earn yet some people will open their dirty mouth to yan dust.

hawking is better than stealing

infact hawking is a business

if you think hawking is better than pushing drugs in Indonesia and getting killed click 'like'
Your comment is wow, So what's the if you think hawking is better than pushing drugs in Indonesia and getting killed click 'like'. will the likes put food on your table in this present bubu (buhari-dog) regime
Re: Cross River To Legalise Street Hawking by cowgirl9090: 3:24pm On Aug 26, 2016
ceejay80s:
these street hawkers ugly nobe small, they should be arrested and jailed for uglyness

They are not ugly, they are just broke
Re: Cross River To Legalise Street Hawking by ceejay80s(m): 4:07pm On Aug 26, 2016
kyrios:
for your mind you fine ?

cowgirl9090:

They are not ugly, they are just broke

DrLee:

Mr. Nigeria, if those boys upload their best shot like you did for your profile pic, they will most likely be more handsome than you.

free2blast:
Thats what the struggle does to you. They look like brothers in the hustle.

i only spoke my mind ,now una wan crucify me like the man wey name his dog buhari

i no commit crime, na my mind i spoke
Re: Cross River To Legalise Street Hawking by adimsmt: 4:23pm On Aug 26, 2016
Enuguboy4nsk:

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2016/08/c-river-legalise-street-hawking/

This is why Nigeria will never be a develop Nation with mentality like this, Instead of building markets you are building disorder in the streets.
Re: Cross River To Legalise Street Hawking by Nobody: 5:03pm On Aug 26, 2016
" You cannot tell a man not to sell his goods on the streets because he cannot rent a store, yet you tell the man not to steal"

Hmm out of abundance of a man's heart commeth wisdom. Thank God we still have a leader in the country with his brain intact.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

This Is Not A 5 Star Hotel In Lekki. It Is A 400 Room Mansion Owned By A Nigeria / CBN: Rising Debt Servicing Cost Can Impede Growth / Yakubu Mamood: Lawmakers Wrong To Initiate Electoral Act Amendment

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.