Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,160,851 members, 7,844,768 topics. Date: Thursday, 30 May 2024 at 07:18 AM

Is It Legal For Your Employer To Hack Your Email And Privacy - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Is It Legal For Your Employer To Hack Your Email And Privacy (7439 Views)

How To Earn The Respect Of Your Employer / List Of Things You Are Entitled To By Law From Your Employer / Data Protection And Privacy Training (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is It Legal For Your Employer To Hack Your Email And Privacy by thomjoe(m): 8:17am On Aug 27, 2016
It is an illegal act. Despite the fact that is your employer, he has no right to hack your email let alone asking someone else to do it. That is a fraudulent act that needs to be corrected irrespective of personality.
Re: Is It Legal For Your Employer To Hack Your Email And Privacy by samguru(m): 8:26am On Aug 27, 2016
delishpot:
It is illegal. And what do you mean by your employ or honoured it? Was he asked before hand if he wanted your personal details by the unknown hacker and he agreed to it? Did he use it against you? Did he send it out to other employees ? Did he ask for more details or dis he just open the mail, read through and call your attention to it?

He used it against me

1 Like

Re: Is It Legal For Your Employer To Hack Your Email And Privacy by flokii: 8:32am On Aug 27, 2016
I know they check your online history.. Ur fb posts etc. buh hacking into one's email account is new..
That's completely illegal
Re: Is It Legal For Your Employer To Hack Your Email And Privacy by adaweezy(m): 8:41am On Aug 27, 2016
samguru:
The legal gurus in the house,

Is it legal for your employer to hack into your personal email not my official email and also went behind you to collect your statement of accounts.

Plz I need your legal advice on this matter.
It is illegal by virtue of the Nigerian Cyber crime (Prohibition) Act 2015.
Re: Is It Legal For Your Employer To Hack Your Email And Privacy by sunkieisland(m): 9:00am On Aug 27, 2016
If the e-mail address being hacked is provided by the company, then they can remotely access it...... Its their property

but your personal e-mail address is off limits. Completely illegal.

#JustmyOpinion
Re: Is It Legal For Your Employer To Hack Your Email And Privacy by chydii(f): 9:08am On Aug 27, 2016
The word 'Hack' alone should tell you its illegal. Irrespective of the person superiority to you
Re: Is It Legal For Your Employer To Hack Your Email And Privacy by wonlasewonimi: 9:13am On Aug 27, 2016
gungab:
it's illegal
But in case of fraud
it's possible and it's called lifting the veils
my 2cent from law101

Your Law 101 is rank! Lifting the veil of incorporation relates to company law where a court decides to prosecute the owners/directors for hiding behind the company to perform illegal acts such as incuring debts in the name of the company and claiming separate legal entity.

And to the OP, lately the term hacking has been used loosely. During authentication to your email yahoo/gmail, you must have clicked the 'remember me button', anyone with access to the PC would access your emails. Hackers are busier than that please!
Re: Is It Legal For Your Employer To Hack Your Email And Privacy by pek(m): 9:14am On Aug 27, 2016
Hacking is legal, unethical and wrong.
Re: Is It Legal For Your Employer To Hack Your Email And Privacy by mfm04622: 9:25am On Aug 27, 2016
Yes. As long as they provide either the equipment or the network you use the equipment on, you have no privacy
Re: Is It Legal For Your Employer To Hack Your Email And Privacy by Nobody: 9:35am On Aug 27, 2016
It's Illegal what's done is done. Take steps to protect your account never use a partners name as a password and numbers obvious to the public like your date of birth

Always use characters some don't associate with you like $/? at the end of it

Never Give your partner your Facebook password Give your husband 9 times out of 10 when that relationship is over they will try and hack in to destroy you
Re: Is It Legal For Your Employer To Hack Your Email And Privacy by gungab(m): 9:59am On Aug 27, 2016
wonlasewonimi:

Your Law 101 is rank! Lifting the veil of incorporation relates to company law where a court decides to prosecute the owners/directors for hiding behind the company to perform illegal acts such as incuring debts in the name of the company and claiming separate legal entity.

And to the OP, lately the term hacking has been used loosely. During authentication to your email yahoo/gmail, you must have clicked the 'remember me button', anyone with access to the PC would access your emails. Hackers are busier than that please!

thanks we are all here to learn
Re: Is It Legal For Your Employer To Hack Your Email And Privacy by moshould(m): 10:01am On Aug 27, 2016
D employer dey mad
Re: Is It Legal For Your Employer To Hack Your Email And Privacy by smasher1(m): 10:06am On Aug 27, 2016
bigtt76:
It's wrong for your to operate your personal email account on your employer's network and or assigned laptop or computer system.

They cannot assure your of its safety as they would of your official email. Doing otherwise is a gross violation of the company's Internet and IT facility use policy.

Your privacy at the workplace is only assured within the ambits of the company's acceptable use policy.

On the other hand if you'd obeyed the policies and your privacy was infringed then your can sue.

You are wrong. If you don't use your company computer or phone, and use your personal phone to access your company email, they can link and check details on your own personal gmail or yahoo account. This I have seen.

We just pray they don't use such information against us as is the case with the op.
Re: Is It Legal For Your Employer To Hack Your Email And Privacy by Nobody: 10:07am On Aug 27, 2016
samguru:

Is it legal for your employer to hack into your personal email not my official email and also went behind you to collect your statement of accounts.

Visit our signature for FREE legal advice.
Re: Is It Legal For Your Employer To Hack Your Email And Privacy by omogidi234(m): 10:33am On Aug 27, 2016
If you have enough evidence put them together and take legal action. But if you still need your job, forget about it.
Re: Is It Legal For Your Employer To Hack Your Email And Privacy by Hibeekayleb(m): 10:48am On Aug 27, 2016
it is wrong for them to hack your mail. unless you logged into your mail using their computer of mobile phone. Your company owns the gadgets and they can chose to anything with it. as a CEH the first thing I ask from any body who need my service is: who owns the device? if it belong to the company, then I will further ask: did you made them signed a terms and agreement that everything on the divide belongs to the company, if the answer is yes. then I can penetrate into the device.
Re: Is It Legal For Your Employer To Hack Your Email And Privacy by bennymark(m): 11:46am On Aug 27, 2016
Forgive me o, I do not know d details, but I think you were loose or non challant, it is not allowed in any dimension, find a way to trace d hack to them, and begin legal proceedings, I work in an ICT enhanced outfit, and I already suspect they can go to that extent, so I apply a lot of caution.

samguru:

Re: Is It Legal For Your Employer To Hack Your Email And Privacy by Nobody: 11:56am On Aug 27, 2016
it's both unethical and illegal unless where a warrant is granted thereof
Re: Is It Legal For Your Employer To Hack Your Email And Privacy by onoms4luv(m): 12:10pm On Aug 27, 2016
I need a hacker urgently, I work for you, real business
Re: Is It Legal For Your Employer To Hack Your Email And Privacy by delishpot: 12:37pm On Aug 27, 2016
samguru:

He used it against me

Then I believe it is illegal. As long as it wasn't gotten by the police Or law enforcement officer during an investigation. It doesn't matter who sent them to him, as long as he made it known and used it against you then you have a right to make a case. Its like saying owning a stolen property(which you know very well was stolen) is not an offence because you were not the one who stole it
Re: Is It Legal For Your Employer To Hack Your Email And Privacy by josite: 12:38pm On Aug 27, 2016
depending on the background,if you are suspected of a crime and they are working with police,hacking is one of the options to get the evidence needed and it is now left for your lawyer to argue in court that such an evidence was not lawfully obtained.
Re: Is It Legal For Your Employer To Hack Your Email And Privacy by samguru(m): 1:22pm On Aug 27, 2016
josite:
depending on the background,if you are suspected of a crime and they are working with police,hacking is one of the options to get the evidence needed and it is now left for your lawyer to argue in court that such an evidence was not lawfully obtained.

I was never suspected of any crime as at the time it happened, he was singing my praise only for him to call me later and tell HR to suspend me.
Re: Is It Legal For Your Employer To Hack Your Email And Privacy by Onechancearmy(m): 1:23pm On Aug 27, 2016
samguru:

The answer is capital NO. That is like asking if your landlord has the right to break into your apartment simply because he owns it.
Hacking means bypassing security protocols to gain unauthorised access to data and that is illegal. I wouldn't know if your email account was opened with your company's private domain name.
If so you might want to check your terms of employment to see whether or not your boss can do what he did.
Re: Is It Legal For Your Employer To Hack Your Email And Privacy by Nobody: 1:34pm On Aug 27, 2016
DonCortino:

If that is d case ur employer did no wrong! Look for the person that did it and like I said earlier, change ur password to something more complex and don't ever allow any browser to auto save it.

the employer can be sued for conspiracy and theft. the other guys can be sued for invasion of privacy.
Re: Is It Legal For Your Employer To Hack Your Email And Privacy by 9jatatafo(m): 4:19pm On Aug 27, 2016
Hmm
Re: Is It Legal For Your Employer To Hack Your Email And Privacy by maleeks(m): 10:28pm On Aug 27, 2016
samguru:

"The answer is capital NO. That is like asking if your
landlord has the right to break into your apartment simply
because he owns it.
Hacking means bypassing security protocols to gain
unauthorised access to data and that is illegal."
In addition, I want you to know (black hat) hacking is a serious crime in Nigeria that carries(to some extent) death penalty. you can find out yourself

(1) (2) (Reply)

6 Dominant Workplace Trends You Are Likely To Witness In 2017 / Logistics And Supply Chain Management / CIMA Introduces New Programme For Nigerian Finance Professionals

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.