Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,526 members, 7,826,978 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 01:50 AM

Is It Legal For Your Employer To Hack Your Email And Privacy - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Is It Legal For Your Employer To Hack Your Email And Privacy (7411 Views)

How To Earn The Respect Of Your Employer / List Of Things You Are Entitled To By Law From Your Employer / Data Protection And Privacy Training (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is It Legal For Your Employer To Hack Your Email And Privacy by samguru(m): 7:48pm On Aug 26, 2016
The legal gurus in the house,

Is it legal for your employer to hack into your personal email not my official email and also went behind you to collect your statement of accounts.

Plz I need your legal advice on this matter.
Re: Is It Legal For Your Employer To Hack Your Email And Privacy by gungab(m): 7:51pm On Aug 26, 2016
it's illegal But in case of fraud it's possible and it's called lifting the veils my 2cent from law101
Re: Is It Legal For Your Employer To Hack Your Email And Privacy by samguru(m): 7:58pm On Aug 26, 2016
gungab:
it's illegal
But in case of fraud
it's possible and it's called lifting the veils
my 2cent from law101

There was no fraud,but somebody hacked into my mail and send it to my employer and my employer honoured it.
Re: Is It Legal For Your Employer To Hack Your Email And Privacy by gungab(m): 8:00pm On Aug 26, 2016
samguru:

There was no fraud,but somebody hacked into my mail and send it to my employer and my employer honoured it.

please wait for our esteemed learned friend
Re: Is It Legal For Your Employer To Hack Your Email And Privacy by sukkot: 6:35am On Aug 27, 2016
yes. if his name is intanet shina rambo

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Is It Legal For Your Employer To Hack Your Email And Privacy by veekid(m): 6:35am On Aug 27, 2016
Laye! Never!! When I'm not an FBI profiler
Re: Is It Legal For Your Employer To Hack Your Email And Privacy by AliAiyes: 6:38am On Aug 27, 2016
currption

2 Likes

Re: Is It Legal For Your Employer To Hack Your Email And Privacy by Ekiseme(m): 6:38am On Aug 27, 2016
It's not, What a question really

1 Like

Re: Is It Legal For Your Employer To Hack Your Email And Privacy by Nobody: 6:38am On Aug 27, 2016
It's legal for me to have sex with your wife but unethical

I could even bet your friend didn't bother to read the terms and conditions of his contract .

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is It Legal For Your Employer To Hack Your Email And Privacy by Cybertext(m): 6:38am On Aug 27, 2016
It is illegal in a legal system where rule of law is practiced... but here in Nigeria?? lipsrsealed

2 Likes

Re: Is It Legal For Your Employer To Hack Your Email And Privacy by TheGoodJoe(m): 6:39am On Aug 27, 2016
I am not sure about the legal angle but it is unethical.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is It Legal For Your Employer To Hack Your Email And Privacy by emperorchedda(m): 6:39am On Aug 27, 2016
Wrong! That's another (Gee) yahoo yahoo method

1 Like

Re: Is It Legal For Your Employer To Hack Your Email And Privacy by toocoded: 6:40am On Aug 27, 2016
Very wrong sad
Re: Is It Legal For Your Employer To Hack Your Email And Privacy by Nobody: 6:40am On Aug 27, 2016
Re: Is It Legal For Your Employer To Hack Your Email And Privacy by chezznonso: 6:41am On Aug 27, 2016
Datz a huge no no joor. Why the hell will u be snooping around in peoples privates? undecided undecided. It can only be justified in situation where the company senses that someone is leaking classified information. If not, it's just wrong. Come to think of it, most people apply for jobs using the email and the fact that u are looking for better job opportunities is not supposed to be for his consumption.
Re: Is It Legal For Your Employer To Hack Your Email And Privacy by DonCortino: 6:42am On Aug 27, 2016
samguru:

Is it legal for your employer to hack into your personal email not my official email and also went behind you to collect your statement of accounts.

Change ur password naa! And don't save it on any browser again.

3 Likes

Re: Is It Legal For Your Employer To Hack Your Email And Privacy by sinistermind(m): 6:44am On Aug 27, 2016
It is very illegal... it's a violation of your privacy. And if he wants your statement of account, there are procedures for it... if it's ur salary account, he has certain rights and that's when there's an investigation of some sought but your personal account? Lai lai.
Re: Is It Legal For Your Employer To Hack Your Email And Privacy by DonCortino: 6:46am On Aug 27, 2016
samguru:

If that is d case ur employer did no wrong! Look for the person that did it and like I said earlier, change ur password to something more complex and don't ever allow any browser to auto save it.
Re: Is It Legal For Your Employer To Hack Your Email And Privacy by madridguy(m): 6:53am On Aug 27, 2016
Do you mean someone hacked your e-mail and send your account details to your boss or your boss asked someone to hacked your account.

Well, I advise you to take the matter up with your boss to get the root of the matter.

My opinion though.

1 Like

Re: Is It Legal For Your Employer To Hack Your Email And Privacy by viczeey(m): 7:04am On Aug 27, 2016
it is illegal
Re: Is It Legal For Your Employer To Hack Your Email And Privacy by Ajusshi: 7:10am On Aug 27, 2016
gungab:
it's illegal
But in case of fraud
it's possible and it's called lifting the veils
my 2cent from law101
,It's illegal even if a fraud is suspected. Only a court can order such action. Even at that, i doubt if the employer will be saddle with it task. @Op, this is pure inpunity, sue the bastardio

1 Like

Re: Is It Legal For Your Employer To Hack Your Email And Privacy by Nobody: 7:23am On Aug 27, 2016
samguru:

Was it your employer that tapped into your mail or someone else hacked into your mail and sent to your employer? And what exactly have your employer done with the information?
Re: Is It Legal For Your Employer To Hack Your Email And Privacy by delishpot: 7:32am On Aug 27, 2016
It is illegal. And what do you mean by your employ or honoured it? Was he asked before hand if he wanted your personal details by the unknown hacker and he agreed to it? Did he use it against you? Did he send it out to other employees ? Did he ask for more details or dis he just open the mail, read through and call your attention to it?

1 Like

Re: Is It Legal For Your Employer To Hack Your Email And Privacy by bigtt76(f): 7:35am On Aug 27, 2016
It's wrong for your to operate your personal email account on your employer's network and or assigned laptop or computer system.

They cannot assure your of its safety as they would of your official email. Doing otherwise is a gross violation of the company's Internet and IT facility use policy.

Your privacy at the workplace is only assured within the ambits of the company's acceptable use policy.

On the other hand if you'd obeyed the policies and your privacy was infringed then your can sue.
Re: Is It Legal For Your Employer To Hack Your Email And Privacy by Nobody: 7:39am On Aug 27, 2016
Ethnically it's not good for you to hack into your organisation's email for the simple obvious reason of leaking it's strategic ways it outperform other competitors. I think if you want to be a whistle blower like Julius asange, then go ahead but always measure the consequences of your actions.
Re: Is It Legal For Your Employer To Hack Your Email And Privacy by lollmaolol(m): 7:41am On Aug 27, 2016
samguru:

Ask me, I'll say it's not impossible, it's a set up. You can raise am alarm immediately.

There must be a beneficiary on this request that was honoured.
Re: Is It Legal For Your Employer To Hack Your Email And Privacy by wethebest(m): 7:42am On Aug 27, 2016
lol
Re: Is It Legal For Your Employer To Hack Your Email And Privacy by wethebest(m): 7:46am On Aug 27, 2016
samguru:

That is d hand work of Alli baba boyz, b4 u knw it, company go pay money on ur order and wen they find out it was paid to wrong acct belonging to alli boys, u go dey kirikiri. These guys are ghost yahoo guys. they are hardly caught unlike boys doing dating and others.

1 Like

Re: Is It Legal For Your Employer To Hack Your Email And Privacy by poundsanddollars(f): 7:50am On Aug 27, 2016
of course it is illegal, email is private property!! Watch this video for more on this topic because it signifies an example of what would happen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TpIPZ0LROCI&gl=NG&client=mv-google&hl=en-GB
Re: Is It Legal For Your Employer To Hack Your Email And Privacy by ignis: 7:53am On Aug 27, 2016
It depends on the nature of your job, the company's policy, terms and conditions.
If not convinced you can seek for legal advice.
Re: Is It Legal For Your Employer To Hack Your Email And Privacy by BE811APP: 7:55am On Aug 27, 2016
U used the word legal and hack...

i dont think its right?
Re: Is It Legal For Your Employer To Hack Your Email And Privacy by 2odd(m): 8:05am On Aug 27, 2016
Hacking is strictly illegal , such as wiretaps and others unless ordered by a court of law.... The only instance where it is legal ,is when security companies employ hackers to test a new security Guard or update.this will allow the said company to identify loopholes and improve them

(1) (2) (Reply)

My German Boss Wants Me In Bed / There’s Nothing Wrong With Being A Pessimist. / Going Back To School While Working Full Time

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.