Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,432 members, 7,823,010 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 09:19 PM

Did Voodoo Originate From West Africa - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Did Voodoo Originate From West Africa (5947 Views)

UN Warns Britain Over Child Voodoo Rituals, P.edophile Sex Tourists / Where Does Pidgin English Originate From / Facts To Prove That Ibos Originate From Egypt? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Did Voodoo Originate From West Africa by Epi: 3:21pm On Oct 01, 2009
In a conversation (10 of us) yesterday, a Nigerian guy told us that Africans mainly Nigerians started voodoo. He was like "even thou I am Nigerian, I am not ashamed to say so. I left that conversation, creepy guy. undecided
Re: Did Voodoo Originate From West Africa by africhika(f): 3:49pm On Oct 01, 2009
if i'm not mistaken, voudon (which means spirit) originated from the dahomeans.

1 Like

Re: Did Voodoo Originate From West Africa by candylips(m): 3:59pm On Oct 01, 2009
yes it originated from west africa
Re: Did Voodoo Originate From West Africa by africhika(f): 4:04pm On Oct 01, 2009
Article from national geographic http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2002/10/1021_021021_taboovoodoo.html

The exact origins of voodoo are unknown, but it's generally agreed that its roots lie in West Africa. The nation of Benin, once known as Dahomey, is considered the cradle of voodoo, which means "spirit" in the local language.

A "spirit" religion, voodoo likely evolved from ancient traditions of ancestor worship and animism.

Once banned, voodoo is now an official religion in Benin, with about four million adherents in that nation alone. Forms of voodoo are also practiced in other African nations, the Caribbean, South America, New Orleans, and elsewhere.

Voodoo beliefs spread from Africa's shores to America on slave ships. Subjected to forced labor and expected to adopt a foreign Christian religion in their new land, enslaved Africans turned to the familiar spirits of their ancestors to help them survive a painful transition.

3 Likes

Re: Did Voodoo Originate From West Africa by Epi: 7:10pm On Oct 01, 2009
africhika:

Once banned, voodoo is now an official religion in Benin, with about four million adherents in that nation alone. Forms of voodoo are also practiced in other African nations, the Caribbean, South America, New Orleans, and elsewhere. [/i]
Ma'am, you may want to take out The Caribbean out of that because I have never heard of Caribbean countries practicing voodoo. However, we have duppies walking the street at late night, I think undecided
Re: Did Voodoo Originate From West Africa by Nobody: 8:49pm On Oct 01, 2009
Re: Did Voodoo Originate From West Africa by africhika(f): 10:37pm On Oct 01, 2009
Epi, you've never heard of voodoo practiced in the caribbean?  u do know that HAITI is a caribbean island right?!

1 Like

Re: Did Voodoo Originate From West Africa by africhika(f): 10:39pm On Oct 01, 2009
trinidad/tobago,  the back country mountains of jamaica, martinique, cuba especially, u'll definitely find voudoun there. along with santeria, candomble, macrimbe.

u should know that en route to america, slave ships stopped in the caribbean island.

1 Like

Re: Did Voodoo Originate From West Africa by Nobody: 4:41am On Oct 02, 2009
Re: Did Voodoo Originate From West Africa by beneli(m): 12:54pm On Oct 02, 2009
Epi:

Ma'am, you may want to take out The Caribbean out of that because I have never heard of Caribbean countries practicing voodoo. However, we have duppies walking the street at late night, I think undecided

Its called Obeah in most of the Caribbean countries. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Obeah
Re: Did Voodoo Originate From West Africa by blackspade(m): 9:46pm On Oct 02, 2009
tpia.:

is this thread some kind of joke ?

I'm rather astonished.

+1
Re: Did Voodoo Originate From West Africa by ezeagu(m): 9:58pm On Oct 02, 2009
It came from Japan, Yokojuju to be precise.

beneli:

Its called Obeah in most of the Caribbean countries. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Obeah

Which is short for Obearo, which came from Arochukwu. . . . . .
Re: Did Voodoo Originate From West Africa by candylips(m): 4:55pm On Oct 03, 2009
blackspade:

+1
Re: Did Voodoo Originate From West Africa by Fhemmmy: 2:21am On Oct 04, 2009
wont be surprised if it is from india
Re: Did Voodoo Originate From West Africa by ezeagu(m): 8:11pm On Oct 04, 2009
Fhemmmy:

wont be surprised if it is from india

undecided
Re: Did Voodoo Originate From West Africa by Epi: 11:18pm On Oct 04, 2009
tpia.:

is this thread some kind of joke ?

I'm rather astonished.
NEVER ATTEND A GUN-FIGHT WITH A KNIFE

ezeagu:

It came from Japan, Yokojuju to be precise.

Which is short for Obearo, which came from Arochukwu. . . . . .
As per your Wiked-peka "Obeah is[b] similar [/b] to Palo, Voodoo, Santeria, rootwork, and hoodoo. From what I was told (a few mins. ago by a Trini) Obeah is a practice done to scare people away, mainly the enemies. No physical harm is done to the person unlike voodoo. But me personally, reading that wiked-peka sure scare the ballarina girl out of me.
ezeagu:

undecided

grin
Re: Did Voodoo Originate From West Africa by Nobody: 3:07am On Oct 05, 2009
Epi:

NEVER ATTEND A GUN-FIGHT WITH A KNIFE

meaning?

dont start your own plz although its a free world oh.

As you were told, voodoo is part and parcel of Nigeria, so never attack unless you're sure you'll win the battle.
Re: Did Voodoo Originate From West Africa by jona2: 8:20pm On Oct 05, 2009
from yorubaland. grin
Re: Did Voodoo Originate From West Africa by Fhemmmy: 12:40am On Oct 06, 2009
*jona:

from yorubaland. grin

Another tribalistic human
Re: Did Voodoo Originate From West Africa by ezeagu(m): 12:45am On Oct 06, 2009
Fhemmmy:

Another tribalistic human

From which "tribe"?
Re: Did Voodoo Originate From West Africa by Fhemmmy: 12:47am On Oct 06, 2009
ezeagu:

From which "tribe"?

the thread was, what it from W.Africa, and not asking what tribe of nigeria it was from
Re: Did Voodoo Originate From West Africa by OgidiBoy(m): 12:50am On Oct 06, 2009
ezeagu:

From which "tribe"?

Igbo tribe, where else? grin
Re: Did Voodoo Originate From West Africa by Fhemmmy: 12:53am On Oct 06, 2009
OgidiBoy:

Igbo tribe, where else? grin

It is not about the tribe.
Re: Did Voodoo Originate From West Africa by Nobody: 4:03am On Oct 06, 2009
people don shake chicken foot tire come dey ask where voodoo dey originate from.
Re: Did Voodoo Originate From West Africa by Epi: 1:38pm On Oct 06, 2009
tpia.:

people don shake chicken foot tire come dey ask where voodoo dey originate from.
Why don't u speakay inglish?

@topic

Could someone interpret that laydee above for me because I am not far from telling her to push a Love Machine down her throat and choke on it. She was told before not to enter a gun-fight with a knife but she didn't take heed. Well, let's get ready to rumble

Ok, I am leaving my house, y'all have a good day and a good life grin grin
Re: Did Voodoo Originate From West Africa by Nobody: 3:53pm On Oct 06, 2009
Re: Did Voodoo Originate From West Africa by Epi: 6:46pm On Oct 06, 2009
tpia.:

Mukina don rest for your matter so you now feel like taking on tpia. grin
stop talk in parables and speakay inglay, so I can answer you appropriately.

tpia.:

oh, you want a fight right?
take your own advice and dont enter a swordfight armed only with a nail cutter.
To much ganja is bad for your brain, bozo.
Mukina don rest for your matter so you now feel like taking on tpia. grin
Ode.

Hope you're fully armed with all the information you need and have goons on standby, to call your ambulance.

voodoo priestess wey dey form.
Olodo.

na only Love Machine you see? Your NL boyfriend nko- how he dey?

That's all you have to say. Stuuuuupes. I hate dealing with amateurs. When you ready for a bull dog fight, step up
Re: Did Voodoo Originate From West Africa by Nobody: 6:57pm On Oct 06, 2009
Epi:

stop talk in parables and speakay inglay, so I can answer you appropriately.
That's all you have to say. Stuuuuupes. I hate dealing with amateurs. When you ready for a bull dog fight, step up

wetin dey worry you sef? Na craze? cheesy

na for this NL persin go see somebody wey dey head coven for house come form say im be holy Mary.
Re: Did Voodoo Originate From West Africa by Epi: 7:23pm On Oct 06, 2009
tpia.:

wetin dey worry you sef? Na craze? cheesy

na for this NL persin go see somebody wey dey head coven for house come form say im be holy Mary.
Looks like someone send this crazy bush girl to harass me, but I am not going to argue with her until 7pm (my time). That's when I am going to be pissed. angry angry
Re: Did Voodoo Originate From West Africa by Nobody: 2:21am On Oct 07, 2009
ode.

jazz got nothing on you.
Re: Did Voodoo Originate From West Africa by Epi: 5:40pm On Oct 07, 2009
a troubling enigma not to mention bushwacker grin grin hay haay grin grin grin
Re: Did Voodoo Originate From West Africa by Nobody: 10:15pm On Jul 02, 2012
Epi: Ma'am, you may want to take out The Caribbean out of that because I have never heard of Caribbean countries practicing voodoo. However, we have duppies walking the street at late night, I think undecided

shocked shocked shocked shocked

straight up lying!! grin

voodoo is taken HIGHLY seriously in the caribbean!!
you don't even want to mention the word 'voodooo' or "obeah!" grin grin
or else you would be suspected of practicing it.
The Indian and African descendants take it very seriously...Almost every one
knows someone who knows a "witch doctor"...and they go faithfully!! lol

Most Jamos who emigrate sees a "witch doctor" prior to leaving...especially
the illegal ones with no documentation who want the obeah man/woman to do their magic so they can
enter the US/UK undetected! grin

as for duppies that's true...Jamos believe in ghosts! grin like seriously!!

i've witnessed some of the older women cursing out "someone" and when you
look to see who it is...there is nobody there! grin

scenario:

*random plate drops in kitchen and breaks*

Woman: See?! What do you want? Didn't I tell you to leave?
*loudly recites a bible verse/psalm* grin

2 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Why Do Yoruba People Bury Dead People In Their Balconies? / ARE CERTAIN KIDS BORN WITH DREADLOCKS? / Water Or Tissue Paper When You Crap?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.