₦airaland Forum

Welcome, Guest: Join Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 1,927,827 members, 3,969,225 topics. Date: Thursday, 14 December 2017 at 04:19 PM

Did Voodoo Originate From West Africa - Culture (1) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Did Voodoo Originate From West Africa (3968 Views)

UN Warns Britain Over Child Voodoo Rituals, P.edophile Sex Tourists / Where Does Pidgin English Originate From / Facts To Prove That Ibos Originate From Egypt? (1) (2) (3) (4)

(0) (1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Did Voodoo Originate From West Africa by tpia: 10:26pm On Jul 02, 2012
Re: Did Voodoo Originate From West Africa by PhysicsQED(m): 10:31pm On Jul 02, 2012
"Viewing this topic: tpia@, tpia, tpia. and 5 guest(s)"

lol

1 Like

Re: Did Voodoo Originate From West Africa by tpia5: 10:34pm On Jul 02, 2012
lmao.

popular name. grin
Re: Did Voodoo Originate From West Africa by Ptolomeus(m): 4:53pm On Jul 03, 2012
The voodoo (voodoo) has its origin in Benin.
Indeed, as mentioned, the African slaves brought this cult to America, as happened with the worship of Orisa Yoruba.

The voodoo is practiced in New Orleans, and particularly in Haiti, Trinidad Tobago and other Caribbean islands. We must not forget that to reach America, the different ethnic groups should share their space, so there was a mixed wine in worship.

In South America, African cult has greater acceptance is the Yoruba (Orisa). In Brazil stands Keto Candomble and Batuque (also practiced in Uruguay).

In Cuba, meanwhile, highlights the Orisa worship called "Santeria" and the "palo", a spiritualist cult.

My respects to all.
Re: Did Voodoo Originate From West Africa by Nobody: 2:38am On Jul 15, 2012
PhysicsQED: "Viewing this topic: tpia@, tpia, tpia. and 5 guest(s)"

lol

grin grin

@topic voodoo and juju are native to w. Africa however "witch craft" or what have you, is practiced all over africa.

In the caribbean we are both west and central african mixed with some south east african too...so our version too is mixed...from all over.
Re: Did Voodoo Originate From West Africa by Nobody: 1:16pm On Sep 29, 2012
Ptolomeus: The voodoo (voodoo) has its origin in Benin.
Indeed, as mentioned, the African slaves brought this cult to America, as happened with the worship of Orisa Yoruba.

The voodoo is practiced in New Orleans, and particularly in Haiti, Trinidad Tobago and other Caribbean islands. We must not forget that to reach America, the different ethnic groups should share their space, so there was a mixed wine in worship.

In South America, African cult has greater acceptance is the Yoruba (Orisa). In Brazil stands Keto Candomble and Batuque (also practiced in Uruguay).

In Cuba, meanwhile, highlights the Orisa worship called "Santeria" and the "palo", a spiritualist cult.

My respects to all.

They used Yoruba saints because the Yoruba were among some the the last in many countries to arrive thus left their imprint however, voodoo and african witch craft was always celebrated in the west after slavery. its roots are all over africa.
Re: Did Voodoo Originate From West Africa by Ptolomeus(m): 6:12pm On Oct 01, 2012
*Kails*:

They used Yoruba saints because the Yoruba were among some the the last in many countries to arrive thus left their imprint however, voodoo and african witch craft was always celebrated in the west after slavery. its roots are all over africa.

Right.
I do not think that the case of "saints" Yoruba, but of Òrìsá.
But I agree with you, that many African cultures that were brought to America earlier (Angola, Congo, Mozambique, Fanti, Ashanti, etc.) Were overshadowed when the Yoruba came at the end of the slave period.
Re: Did Voodoo Originate From West Africa by macof(m): 8:51pm On Aug 14, 2014
Most of West Africa practices the same form of spiritual doctrines.

Akan, Ewe, Fon, Yoruba, Edo, Igbo...I don't know much about Ijaw traditions and spirituality but I would guess it is similar to the aforementioned.

Voodoo and Orisha lifestyle are the same, only different names and little rituals

1 Like

(0) (1) (Reply)

Igbo Culture And Quest For Landed Property / Can Any Ibo or Yoruba Speakers Help Me? / Marrying Any Black Woman Is A Big Responsibilty!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (0) (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2017 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.