Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,327 members, 7,815,649 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 03:53 PM

Thierry Henry Named Belgium Assistant Coach To Roberto Martinez (photos) - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Thierry Henry Named Belgium Assistant Coach To Roberto Martinez (photos) (888 Views)

Thierry Henry Dressed In Igbo Traditional Attire (Photos) / Oliseh Becomes First Fortuna Sittard Coach To Win 6 Straight Home Games / Nigerian Foreign Coach To Earn $50,000 A Month (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Thierry Henry Named Belgium Assistant Coach To Roberto Martinez (photos) by todaynewsreview: 7:12pm On Aug 29, 2016
Thierry Henry has linked up with Belgium for the first time as the Red Devils begin their new era under former Everton manager Roberto Martinez.

Arsenal legend Henry was surprisingly announced as the country's new assistant boss last week, linking up with Martinez as the country looks to put another big tournament failure at Euro 2016 behind them.

Martinez will take charge of Belgium for the first time in a friendly clash with Spain on Thursday, but it was Henry who was the leading light during training on Monday. The 39-year-old was pictured passing on his knowledge to the likes of Eden Hazard, Michy Batshuayi, Thibaut Courtois and Christian Benteke at the dawn of what is a new era for the Red Devils.

Belgium, who sit second in the FIFA rankings and boast one of the world's best squads in terms of available talent, bowed out of Euro 2016 to surprise package Wales, a result which cost Marc Wilmots his job.

Martinez, who left Everton last season, was the surprise choice to take over, the Spaniard springing another shock by installing Henry as his right hand man.

The appointment of the former Gunners striker certainly grabbed the attention, his lack of previous experience coaching at the top level making him a left-field choice to make the step straight up to international level.

'I'm very thankful for the opportunity Roberto and the Belgian Federation gave me,' Henry told Sky Sports on Sunday, a day before travelling to Belgium. I think it's an exciting challenge.'

'One of the things we're going to have to work on is to match the quality that team has and make sure that team finally becomes a great team.

'Knowing Roberto from the past and talking to him, we clicked in terms of the philosophy we had about the game. It was difficult to say no.

'He is the main guy and I am going to try to help within the structure to make sure the team can go far. I think that team can create history, it's just a matter of believing in it.'

With the likes of Hazard, De Bruyne, Everton striker Romelu Lukaku and many others in their squad, it's a surprise Belgium haven't been able to compete in the latter stages of international tournaments in recent years.

Martinez will hope serial winner Henry will help in that regard, his first acid test coming in a World Cup qualifier with Cyprus next Tuesday.

That competitive fixture comes less than a week after playing Spain.

'I've been working with Belgian players and I've been intrigued by Belgian football, the talent of the Belgium players is there to be seen,' Martinez said.

'We will always work to be on the ball and be an attacking team, but you have to be able to defend. We want to play attractive football but we have to win.

'Sometimes there seemed too much pressure, carrying the hopes of the country, and we're all responsible for that.

More here: http://www.todaynewsreview.com/p/1049/thierry-henry-named-belgium-assistant-coach-to-roberto-marti

Re: Thierry Henry Named Belgium Assistant Coach To Roberto Martinez (photos) by todaynewsreview: 7:13pm On Aug 29, 2016
Re: Thierry Henry Named Belgium Assistant Coach To Roberto Martinez (photos) by Nobody: 7:22pm On Aug 29, 2016
Igweeeeeeeeeeeeeee..
Re: Thierry Henry Named Belgium Assistant Coach To Roberto Martinez (photos) by todaynewsreview: 7:48am On Oct 07, 2016
smithsydny:
Igweeeeeeeeeeeeeee..
sure

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Chelsea FC Versus Liverpool FC; 8pm Today / PHOTOS: Super Eagles First Training Session In Zambia / Throwback Photo Of Nigeria Former Super Eagles

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.