Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,320 members, 7,815,613 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 03:16 PM

A Nairalander’s Experience At The Army Ssc Course 44 Screening Exercise In Nda, - Jobs/Vacancies (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / A Nairalander’s Experience At The Army Ssc Course 44 Screening Exercise In Nda, (69284 Views)

Nigerian Army SSC And DSSC 2017/2018 Forum / Army SSC/DSSC 2016 Interview List Is Out / Police Recruitment Exercise In Rivers Today (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Nairalander’s Experience At The Army Ssc Course 44 Screening Exercise In Nda, by skimmy39: 12:41pm On Aug 31, 2016
no
Baddchristy:
Can one be disqualify because of dental issues like one missing a tooth
Re: A Nairalander’s Experience At The Army Ssc Course 44 Screening Exercise In Nda, by skimmy39: 12:44pm On Aug 31, 2016
if everybody no join who will join
THUNDER4real:
I wonder why people will still join the Nigerian army now: you will lose your live and still no compensation for the family left behind....
Re: A Nairalander’s Experience At The Army Ssc Course 44 Screening Exercise In Nda, by LeonMacJames(m): 12:47pm On Aug 31, 2016
Pen is mightier than the sword. The Op is an excellent writer, maybe you got rejected so you can compete with chimamanda adichie.and the likes.

7 Likes

Re: A Nairalander’s Experience At The Army Ssc Course 44 Screening Exercise In Nda, by skedy1(m): 12:48pm On Aug 31, 2016
NevetsIbot:
The woman, Is she cute? Co if she is, she'll be taking notes.... You know what I mean

Haha, at that point, trust me, no one even knew she was a lady, let alone check out her cuteness!

Twas strickly business o!

1 Like

Re: A Nairalander’s Experience At The Army Ssc Course 44 Screening Exercise In Nda, by NevetsIbot(m): 12:52pm On Aug 31, 2016
skedy1:

Haha, at that point, trust me, no one even knew she was a lady, let alone check out her cuteness!

Twas strickly business o!
Hehe. You sha saw her. Oya, assess her now... If she cute.. Make I go there go display abeg
Re: A Nairalander’s Experience At The Army Ssc Course 44 Screening Exercise In Nda, by odimbannamdi(m): 12:55pm On Aug 31, 2016
skedy1:

Lol, very funny of you!

We stood naked before a woman, I learnt is a General's wife.

[b]The Army makes you go even against your own wish. It's one of their favourite lines!

Boys were ready to even stand naked before a congregation sef,lol!

[/b]The power of choice!

#AikiKawai!!!

You can say that again, bro. I zeroed my mind the moment i entered that NDA gate. na message wey we send ourselves oo. So nobody complain at all
Re: A Nairalander’s Experience At The Army Ssc Course 44 Screening Exercise In Nda, by gungab(m): 12:55pm On Aug 31, 2016
kudos to you op for this piece of information not everything is connection it takes grace
Re: A Nairalander’s Experience At The Army Ssc Course 44 Screening Exercise In Nda, by odimbannamdi(m): 12:56pm On Aug 31, 2016
wissed:
yo op. can short sightedness possess high threat to qualifying during screening

Yes, bro.
Re: A Nairalander’s Experience At The Army Ssc Course 44 Screening Exercise In Nda, by skedy1(m): 12:56pm On Aug 31, 2016
NevetsIbot:
Hehe. You sha saw her. Oya, assess her now... If she cute.. Make I go there go display abeg

Your own na play o!

Their grave yard the lack death people, go make them use you do example. By the time you plant your head for 10mins, you go just the wonder how you take reach there,lol.

5 Likes

Re: A Nairalander’s Experience At The Army Ssc Course 44 Screening Exercise In Nda, by wildice2(m): 12:58pm On Aug 31, 2016
wissed:
yo op. can short sightedness possess high threat to qualifying during screening
guy even people who don't av short sightedness get confuse when it get to sight test all u av to do is to outsmart them when u are ask to close ur eye with ur hand make sure u give space in between ur fingers but if u go do good guy cover the eye u go see O u go say na C u go see Q u go say na O. just use ur brain

5 Likes

Re: A Nairalander’s Experience At The Army Ssc Course 44 Screening Exercise In Nda, by rugged7(m): 12:58pm On Aug 31, 2016
If you are a doctor, the army will probably take you irrespective of any physical shortcomings.
A friend of mine who is a doctor joined and even though he fractured his femur, still they passed him through.
They need doctors gan...
But join navy/airforce and not army.
Your promotions will be faster

Gozzzy:

op, you are a photocopy of me. The features that disqualified you, are the exact same features that I possess, and I have always desired to join the army and being a Medical Doctor, to be a military Doctor. But I guess, I shouldn't bother with the army dreams anymore. embarassed undecided

4 Likes

Re: A Nairalander’s Experience At The Army Ssc Course 44 Screening Exercise In Nda, by odimbannamdi(m): 12:59pm On Aug 31, 2016
skedy1:

Aiki Kawai!!!

lol...bro, wetin e mean?
Re: A Nairalander’s Experience At The Army Ssc Course 44 Screening Exercise In Nda, by MagnaB: 12:59pm On Aug 31, 2016
odimbannamdi:
It had always been my dream to join the Nigerian Army since my NYSC days in 2013/14 at the Nigerian Army Cantonment, Ojo. It seemed the perfect career path where I could deploy my intelligence, wit, strength and patriotism to my country. So, it was with so much eagerness that I applied for the Army SSC recruitment the very day applications were declared open. Thereafter, I started praying to make the first shortlistment, at least

My joy knew no bounds on the 29th of July when I saw my name in The Punch newspaper among the 30 shortlisted candidates from each state expected to report to the NDA old site, Kaduna on the 5th of August. I could hardly sleep at night due to excitement. So my dream was finally coming through. I was finally going to become an officer with the Nigerian Army.

I reported at Kaduna for the screening by exactly 3:30pm on the 5th of August. Only 17 people showed up for the screening from my state (Abia State): 15 on the first day, and another 2 a few days later.

A semi-apron-like blue tag containing a 2 lettered abbreviation of your state of origin and number was issued to every candidate, to be won all through the screening period (mine was AB08). Officially, we were to be known and regarded by this tag number. You would hear stuffs like “AB08, how far na? GB14, old boy I dey o” At some point, we all forgot our names. Lol. Also, it is this number you would send to your sponsors for influential purposes

An adhoc screening board made up of a Major General (the president of the board), 3 Colonels, 3 Lieutenant Colonels (the board secretary was one of them), 3 Captains (the board Admin Officer was one of them) and 3 Lieutenants was set up.

The first screening stage was vetting of candidates’ credentials to ascertain their authenticity and whether we would still be below the required maximum age of 29 by October. A Lt. Col. (the C.O. of 1div Hospital at NDA new site) screened for my state and he was very thorough. I noticed that the Army even prefers you to be younger than the minimum required age.

The next screening stage was writing an aptitude test. Candidates were divided into 3 groups. 1st group wrote at the hall just adjacent the parade ground. 2nd group wrote at the Cadet mess while the 3rd group (which included my state) wrote at the staff school, (one Professor Yahaya or so hall)

The test comprised of 4 sections:

- An essay (WHY YOU WANT TO JOIN THE NIGERIAN ARMY) of 500 – 1000words
- 10 English questions
- Around 7 Maths questions (can’t remember exactly now)
- Around 15 – 20 current affairs questions (cant remember exactly too)

The test was over in 2hours time. I gathered that the test was aimed at gauging our communicative ability, so more attention was paid to the essay and english objective questions. Some candidates were evicted based on the result of this test.

The next screening stage was the “almighty” medical and physical examination. As a result of the mammoth crowd and many tests we were supposed to undergo, we were shared into various groups. My state and some other states first went to the Medical Reception Station (MRS) for Xray. The next day, some of us went to 1div hospital, new NDA site, for blood tests, physical, dental and optical examination, checking of Blood pressure and BMI.

Considering the significance of this stage to a candidate’s final selection, I will try to explain each test further

Physical examination: Here, we were stripped Unclad, asked to stand straight with our hands placed at varying positions (this is to check if we have a bad posture such as kyphosis [hunched back] or lordosis) and our feet making a V-shape (to check for flat feet). The number of our testes was checked. We were then asked to grab our buttocks, bend down with our anus very visible and cough (this is to check if we have had pile before)

Blood and urine tests: Over 5mls of our blood was drawn and our urine taken in a sterile bottle. We were tested for diseases such Hepatitis B, HIV, Syphilis etc. I think our blood group and genotype were also checked

Blood Pressure reading: Being in a cool environment (such as an air-conditioned room), prior to checking your blood pressure, helps calm you down, consequently normalizing it. One Corporal Mike hinted us that the optimal reading is 120/90 or 110/80, while anything more than 140/90 is regarded as being high.

Body Mass Index (BMI): Our height and weight were measured, after taking off our shoes. The readings were used to determine our BMI. The full diameter of our chest during deep inhaling was also measured

Eye examination: We were asked to read letters from an eye chart placed about 10meters and 0.5meter away from us with one of our eyes closed at each time. Next, we were asked to decipher letters printed in colour patterns. Both tests were used to detect if we have long or short-sightedness and Astigmatism

Dental Examination: The alignment, number and grip of our teeth were also checked

The medical and physical examinations took almost 5days to conclude. Any state that finishes its medicals proceeded to do the psychology tests.

During the Psychology tests, 2 Lieutenants shared a booklet containing questions that tried to figure out our history of stimulants/drugs usage. The questions were structured in a way that when you lie in the first question, you would have to keep lying to the end. LOL.

Alcohol usage kind of raised a controversy among candidates because almost every young man has, at one point or the other, taken a sip of the contents of the green bottle. But I observed that as long as your alcohol usage wasnt a source of worry to your loved ones or you haven’t suffered a challenge arising from it (of course, the questions asked us that), then it wasn’t enough to disqualify you.

However, other classes of stimulants used via smoking, inhaling, sniffing or injecting, I observed too, disqualified some candidates. I think they tested their urine for the presence of such stimulants, cant say exactly. We were further interviewed based on our answers
The results of the medical and psychology tests were announced together and candidates were consequently evicted.

I WAS EVICTED AT THIS STAGE TOO. I will talk about it soon

HOW RESULTS OF EACH SCREENING STAGE WAS ANNOUNCED[/b]

To a very great extent, the screening process was transparent.

Upon completion of each screening stage, the board members met and compiled the list of candidates who are “suspects of eviction”. All members of the board then arrive the parade ground to meet orderly but very anxious candidates.

Starting from Abia state, the board secretary calls out names of candidates who are made to immediately shout “Yes Sir!” with a leap and, along with their credentials, jogs to a part of the parade ground and sits on the ground.

Candidates who were flagged for eviction resulting from credentials screening were subjected to a review where their credentials were looked at again before final eviction.

The aptitude test stage did not need a review, of course. You don fail you don fail. No argument.

After the first set of medical and physical examinations, candidates were taken back to 1div hospital for review. Here, if you fell short of the accepted standard in any of the tests, apart from the blood and urine tests, you would be called in to be reviewed by the medical team.

Evictions resulting from the medical and psychological tests was, perhaps, the most touching and monumental. Lol. When the soldiers and officers were telling us that “medicals must drop over half of all of you. That one na dole”, we thought they were only envious of our would-be officer status.

The evening the results ought to have been announced, we waited for the board members till 10pm in the night. The secretary later came and told us that the results would be announced the next day. He instructed us to come to the parade ground with our bags the next morning.

The next morning, around 7am or later, all members of the board arrived the parade ground along with a public address system. There was a different kind of aura in the air. The atmosphere was so tensed.

Mounting the PAS, the board secretary started, “Candidates! Today, my problems will be reduced. Most of you will go back to your villages. The Nigerian Army does not compromise on health issues. If you hear your number, carry your kaya and run out. Is that clear!” Then he started

MY EVICTION
I was far from surprised when I heard my name. I saw it coming.

I was born with a flat feet, umbilical hernia (i.e. a painless prominent navel) and poor right eye vision. For as long as I can remember, distanced objects appear very blurry when viewed using only my right eye (with my left eye closed). I never thought it was something to worry about because I have perfect sight with my both eyes working.

All these were flagged during the medical tests and I was reviewed based on them again.

It was with a broken heart that I picked up my kaya and jogged to the drill shed to await further instructions.

Indeed, over half of the candidates were evicted based on medical and psychological grounds. In fact, Ogun state saw over 20 of its candidates sent packing, leaving behind just 4!

After calling out the names, the board members came to address us. A lucky few who were evicted for being overweight were called out and asked to go back and join up. Then the rest of us were individually called out and told the reasons for our eviction afterwhich our beloved tags were taken away from us.

As I left NDA gate, hot tears flowed down my cheeks. I was evicted for features my God created me with and not what I acquired. It was really painful.

But in everything, I give Him the glory because He knows the end from the beginning.

I will be dropping the fun part of life in NDA, the psyching from the officers and soldiers that made some candidates run away, the jobs we served and the pertinent lectures about the Army we got from Captain Abdullahi.

Stay tuned

GOD BLESS THE NIGERIAN ARMY! GOD BLESS CHIEF OF ARMY STAFF
Chairman don't feel let down by your not making the enrollment, i believe God has a plan for you amd maybe you should just find your own purpose and try to channel your energy in that direction. I am sure you will be fine. Be well

1 Like

Re: A Nairalander’s Experience At The Army Ssc Course 44 Screening Exercise In Nda, by Nobody: 1:02pm On Aug 31, 2016
wildice2:
guy even people who don't av short sightedness get confuse when it get to sight test all u av to do is to outsmart them when u are ask to close ur eye with ur hand make sure u give space in between ur fingers but if u go do good guy cover the eye u go see O u go say na C u go see Q u go say na O. just use ur brain
lols dude.. I have being to eye screening before and there's no avoidable route. u can't see the board means u can't see it
Re: A Nairalander’s Experience At The Army Ssc Course 44 Screening Exercise In Nda, by Nobody: 1:02pm On Aug 31, 2016

1 Like

Re: A Nairalander’s Experience At The Army Ssc Course 44 Screening Exercise In Nda, by Nobody: 1:05pm On Aug 31, 2016
odimbannamdi:

Yes, bro.
even with connections and nda examination results intact?!
Re: A Nairalander’s Experience At The Army Ssc Course 44 Screening Exercise In Nda, by odimbannamdi(m): 1:07pm On Aug 31, 2016
wildice2:

LOL

Some candidates tried that initially until the doctor, Lt Osagheae, noticed it and directed that we should cover our eye with our palms and not our fingers

2 Likes

Re: A Nairalander’s Experience At The Army Ssc Course 44 Screening Exercise In Nda, by Aile(m): 1:08pm On Aug 31, 2016
so how does all these affect the price o garri in d market?
Re: A Nairalander’s Experience At The Army Ssc Course 44 Screening Exercise In Nda, by odimbannamdi(m): 1:09pm On Aug 31, 2016
wissed:
even with connections and nda examination results intact?!

Even with connections, e go hard. Eye issue is almost non-negotiable. if it were to be flat footedness, with your connections, you may scale through

1 Like

Re: A Nairalander’s Experience At The Army Ssc Course 44 Screening Exercise In Nda, by wildice2(m): 1:10pm On Aug 31, 2016
Nice one op but u 4got the moral singing nd e belike say u no buy job if not u for remember how painful it is to plant ur head on a stone cry
Re: A Nairalander’s Experience At The Army Ssc Course 44 Screening Exercise In Nda, by Spidermon: 1:19pm On Aug 31, 2016
Morale is high. Waiting for next year's form.
Re: A Nairalander’s Experience At The Army Ssc Course 44 Screening Exercise In Nda, by claremont(m): 1:20pm On Aug 31, 2016
odimbannamdi:

MY EVICTION
I was far from surprised when I heard my name. I saw it coming.

I was born with a flat feet, umbilical hernia (i.e. a painless prominent navel) and poor right eye vision. For as long as I can remember, distanced objects appear very blurry when viewed using only my right eye (with my left eye closed). I never thought it was something to worry about because I have perfect sight with my both eyes working.

If you ever get the opportunity to visit the UK, you are eligible to apply to join the British Army. What you got evicted for by the Nigerian Army are things that do not matter in most Armies in developed countries i.e. UK, US, French. If the issues you have are identified during the recruitment phase into these Armies, you will be issued with Glasses to sort out your eyesight, you will also be issued with modified boots and trainers to sort out your flat feet. I think the Nigerian Army is not following medical best practice due to too many applicants for very few openings, so they have increased the medical clearance benchmark to weed out people on flimsy excuses. Good luck.

13 Likes

Re: A Nairalander’s Experience At The Army Ssc Course 44 Screening Exercise In Nda, by skedy1(m): 1:22pm On Aug 31, 2016
odimbannamdi:

lol...bro, wetin e mean?

Aiki in housa means work!

Kawai on the other hand is an exclamation used by the housers to explain to the degree of seriousness one has over a particular thing.

More like saying, its strickly work!!

Am not houser though...

1 Like

Re: A Nairalander’s Experience At The Army Ssc Course 44 Screening Exercise In Nda, by odimbannamdi(m): 1:25pm On Aug 31, 2016
wildice2:
Nice one op but u 4got the moral singing nd e belike say u no buy job if not u for remember how painful it is to plant ur head on a stone cry

Bro, e be like sey na me serve job pass for that screening. Kai! i suffer. Don't worry, i will gist u guys later
Re: A Nairalander’s Experience At The Army Ssc Course 44 Screening Exercise In Nda, by claremont(m): 1:26pm On Aug 31, 2016
1stCitizen:

You are not subjected to such degrading checks in the British Army and they still produce better professional and fit soldiers than the joke of an army Nigeria has.

That's incorrect. All Armies do the medical tests the OP got tested on, only difference is that most Armies will not disqualify the OP for his eyesight and flat foot. He will be issued corrective glasses and boots. The British Army also checks the testes and hernia the same way the OP spoke about.

3 Likes

Re: A Nairalander’s Experience At The Army Ssc Course 44 Screening Exercise In Nda, by solepager(m): 1:28pm On Aug 31, 2016
Engineer123:

Bros you forget to mention captain Abdul AKA German dose. God bless Nigerian Army. It is fun to be part of the screening
chia must you quote the whole thing? cry

1 Like

Re: A Nairalander’s Experience At The Army Ssc Course 44 Screening Exercise In Nda, by odimbannamdi(m): 1:29pm On Aug 31, 2016
skedy1:

Aiki in housa means work!

Kawai on the other hand is an exclamation used by the housers to explain to the degree of seriousness one has over a particular thing.

More like saying, its strickly work!!

Am not houser though...

Thanks for the enlightenment bro.
Re: A Nairalander’s Experience At The Army Ssc Course 44 Screening Exercise In Nda, by AustinowithaC(m): 1:33pm On Aug 31, 2016
1stCitizen:

Sorry I don't get what you are saying okay?. Other armies in developed countries do medical and physical checks but not to start counting your testes or checking inside your anus. Very crude and degrading.

You are not subjected to such degrading checks in the British Army and they still produce better professional and fit soldiers than the joke of an army Nigeria has.
After all these rubbish what happens if the person develops all these conditions later on. When other countries are putting adequate Medicare in place for soldiers, Nigeria is doing crude checks.

What is the point of all the checks when you still produce unfit and poorly trained and ill equipped soldiers who are only good at terrorizing innocent civilians.
I really want to agree with your opinion on medical improvisation of developed countries; but I will advise that you start acknowledging and been proud of your honorable country. on the other hand, your acclaimed country of comparison lasted years before they get to where they are today. Nigeria will surely be better, notwithstanding we are just in our late 50's. Before you quote me wrong, I know we are behind but we are getting there.
With that been cleared; In physiotherapy is either you use the designated device or you use oral diagnosis. the opening of your Anus is simply to check Pile availability while the testes count is to limit the danger that you will be exposed to. Generally, the series of test conducted by the Nigerian Army is unequivocally Valid.

Good one Op.
#AbiaTeam

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Nairalander’s Experience At The Army Ssc Course 44 Screening Exercise In Nda, by Nobody: 1:41pm On Aug 31, 2016
odimbannamdi:

Even with connections, e go hard. Eye issue is almost non-negotiable. if it were to be flat footedness, with your connections, you may scale through
what about the navy and Air Force branch. do they count eye sight too.
Re: A Nairalander’s Experience At The Army Ssc Course 44 Screening Exercise In Nda, by DocHMD: 2:04pm On Aug 31, 2016
Wiztonero:
Tiv.
I thought Tiv are encouraged to join the armed forces.
Re: A Nairalander’s Experience At The Army Ssc Course 44 Screening Exercise In Nda, by Kingzy4pep(m): 2:16pm On Aug 31, 2016
odimbannamdi:

Yea bro. It is so real. You almost can not escape the chance of engaging in battles. They told us korokoro. In fact, that was what made most candidates quit voluntarily. At some point, i became scared too, i must confess, so i began asking for God's perfect will to be done.
And I had thought that only the recruits engage in battles.
Re: A Nairalander’s Experience At The Army Ssc Course 44 Screening Exercise In Nda, by Xtfield(m): 2:23pm On Aug 31, 2016
OP you deserve a standing ovation. You are such a wonderful writer of prose that you will make a good nevelist. I enjoyed every word of your write up. And to think that I am a writer myself. You surely will do well in other fields. Cheers.

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

More Nigerians Applying For FRSC 2018 Recruitment Than Previous Years / Ogun Civil Service Commission Recruitment 2016 (ASCON Exam Form Out) / Ernst&young Graduate Trainee 2018

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.