Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,602 members, 7,812,971 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 12:33 AM

Anti-Grazing: Herdsmen’s Lawyer Disagrees With Fayose - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Anti-Grazing: Herdsmen’s Lawyer Disagrees With Fayose (11493 Views)

Buhari In Handshake With Fayose, Obasanjo At Meeting Of National Council State / Jonathan Disagrees With Buhari Over Railway Achievement / Kachikwu Disagrees With Amaechi At FG Town Hall (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Anti-Grazing: Herdsmen’s Lawyer Disagrees With Fayose by kelvee(m): 8:29am On Sep 01, 2016
herdsmen get lawyers
Re: Anti-Grazing: Herdsmen’s Lawyer Disagrees With Fayose by bittertruthz: 8:35am On Sep 01, 2016
rapistomenka:

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2016/08/anti-grazing-law-herdsmens-lawyer-disagrees-fayose-terrorism-charge/
What is so special with herdsmen? Why can't they remain in the northern jungle?

Is a disgrace and defeat to civilisation to see animals roaming around the streets.

Northerners are hypocrites, If they are sincere, they should be encouraging herdsmen to go to school and rear cattle in a civilized manner

1 Like

Re: Anti-Grazing: Herdsmen’s Lawyer Disagrees With Fayose by cococandy(f): 8:38am On Sep 01, 2016
Which one is light weapons like arrows and cutlasses? They killed a govt. college boy when I was in secondary school with an arrow. I still remember that incident like it happened yesterday. Does that lawyer know what harm those things he's calling light weapons can cause? Typical ediot.
Is it not the same cutlasses that they use to behead people and cut open women's bellys? . What's the difference between that and what Isis does?

1 Like

Re: Anti-Grazing: Herdsmen’s Lawyer Disagrees With Fayose by Livefreeordieha(m): 8:41am On Sep 01, 2016
U dey mind diz canker worms..when the head of yam is rotten the whole body is rotten..fulani can carry arms free in nja..but anoda nigerian not fulani hold key holder sef na sanko u go land..ogogoro con3 i yaf tired jare.
rapistomenka:
Really an interesting moment in Nigeria....

A herdsman that has spent all his entire life in the bush now interprets the law for us lipsrsealed

It shall never be well with Mohamed Buhari
Re: Anti-Grazing: Herdsmen’s Lawyer Disagrees With Fayose by flokii: 8:46am On Sep 01, 2016
Noone is looking at d issue in terms of cattle rustling.

Those guys dnt have security of any sort to protect them from thieves but some pple here just want to display hate and bigotry that has eaten deep into them
Re: Anti-Grazing: Herdsmen’s Lawyer Disagrees With Fayose by pippimp(m): 8:59am On Sep 01, 2016
The lawyer for the herdsmen said;

"The law of the federation on terrorism is very clear and no one can be charged for terrorism for carrying lesser arms like cutlasses, catapults and knives during the grazing period as contained in Ekiti new law".

From the above quote, one can reasonably conclude that the lawyer and even some of the herdsmen are probably members of Nairaland. They will say anything to justify their position. Or is it that they are just being Nigerian? The flaw in the lawyers argument is that, for you to be considered a terrorist, the kind of weapon you carry or carried, matters. Doesn't he know that even if you committed the act with a pencil you can still be tagged a terrorist based on the intent and the law broken?
Re: Anti-Grazing: Herdsmen’s Lawyer Disagrees With Fayose by josite: 9:00am On Sep 01, 2016
the lawyer should go and file a suit against the law and by the time it gets to supreme court,we will all know whether fayoe has the power to make the law he just signed into law.period.
Re: Anti-Grazing: Herdsmen’s Lawyer Disagrees With Fayose by codemaniacs: 9:02am On Sep 01, 2016
k

3 Likes

Re: Anti-Grazing: Herdsmen’s Lawyer Disagrees With Fayose by codemaniacs: 9:05am On Sep 01, 2016
pippimp:
The lawyer for the herdsmen said;

"The law of the federation on terrorism is very clear and no one can be charged for terrorism for carrying lesser arms like cutlasses, catapults and knives during the grazing period as contained in Ekiti new law".

From the above quote, one can reasonably conclude that the lawyer and even some of the herdsmen are probably members of Nairaland. They will say anything to justify their position. Or is it that they are just being Nigerian? The flaw in the lawyers argument is that, for you to be considered a terrorist, the kind of weapon you carry or carried, matters. Doesn't he know that even if you committed the act with a pencil you can still be tagged a terrorist based on the intent and the law broken?

no dey try reason matter with them.... If it no favor dem.... dem go reject am.. make dem stay for north dem no gree... Ekiti don talk their own...

1 Like

Re: Anti-Grazing: Herdsmen’s Lawyer Disagrees With Fayose by greatjoey: 9:08am On Sep 01, 2016
carmag:
hmm...those herdsmen that always armed with Ak47 are they from Libya...just asking
Yes, they from States like Zamfara, Sokoto, Kebbi, Katsina, Kaduna etc in Libya according to the DOG in ASO Rocks. Thank me next year.
Re: Anti-Grazing: Herdsmen’s Lawyer Disagrees With Fayose by skedman(m): 9:09am On Sep 01, 2016
rapistomenka:

A herdsman that has spent all his entire life in the bush now interprets the law for us lipsrsealed

.my people shall perish because of lack of knowledge. A country governed by constitution. Please can you tell me your state and I will tell you who you are
Re: Anti-Grazing: Herdsmen’s Lawyer Disagrees With Fayose by pippimp(m): 9:17am On Sep 01, 2016
flokii:

Those guys dnt have security of any sort to protect them from thieves but some pple here just want to display hate and bigotry that has eaten deep into them

Are you sure you are alive in Nigeria? You seem to be missing in action on current events. The issue is not that they are having their cattle stolen, but that they are murdering hundreds of Nigerians with these illegal weapons. How do people like you think for God's sake? On this issue, bigotry has not eaten into Nigerians. Your lack of comprehension has eaten into you ability to assess a situation.

3 Likes

Re: Anti-Grazing: Herdsmen’s Lawyer Disagrees With Fayose by aribisala0(m): 9:18am On Sep 01, 2016
flokii:

Are they the only ones vulnerable? Every Nigerian is vulnerable to attacks on the highway and elsewhere. If we want to go the American way fine!! Change the constitution so every one can own his AK 47 .
There are civilized solutions to cattle rustling. They have been around a long time every cow should be digitally registered at birth and no cow should be slaughtered without documentation. The technology is there and would cost no more than 2000 Naira.
That way government gets some share of the revenue, and our App developers also raise their game.

The current arrangement benefits only the herdsmen.Do they pay any taxes as they move their cows about?
When you have to register every cow in the same way as a car or truck and produce that documentation before slaughter it will help. This can be stored on a phone or similar device. It is not complex at all
We all pay for security in different ways. No amount of rustling can justify the wholesale slaughter we saw in Agatu and elsewhere.So let us not ignore the forest to discuss the palm tree. If we have several problems we must prioritize them. In the last year over 2000 people have been killed by UNKNOWN herdsmen. In such a situation we cannot give the problem of rustling precedence. The law in Ekiti came about not from HATE as you say but people were killed. Human people with mothers and fathers JUST LIKE YOU. What if it was your person that was killed?

Robbers have been attacking Igbo traders in buses,stealing cars on the motorway and so on for years why don't they go about with AK 47s and arrows

1 Like

Re: Anti-Grazing: Herdsmen’s Lawyer Disagrees With Fayose by fosch: 9:19am On Sep 01, 2016
I can't believe Nigeria is battling with issues like this in 21st century, when the world has gone far. Is Dubai,UAE talking about this? The herdsmen and the farmer are business people. Now tell me why the herdsmen would graze on another man's business,then you later sale your cattle and pocket the money leaving the farmer impoverished. Let the herdsmen farm in his ranch to feed his cattle...thatz d solution.lets keep politics aside.

1 Like

Re: Anti-Grazing: Herdsmen’s Lawyer Disagrees With Fayose by Jay542(m): 9:25am On Sep 01, 2016
kelvee:
herdsmen get lawyers
Oya Mi Lenu oo lipsrsealed
Re: Anti-Grazing: Herdsmen’s Lawyer Disagrees With Fayose by fosch: 9:25am On Sep 01, 2016
In your ranch you can carry your light or heavy weapon..no wahala. Please the world is advanced for this nonsense to occupy our public discuss.

1 Like

Re: Anti-Grazing: Herdsmen’s Lawyer Disagrees With Fayose by SaffronSpice: 9:27am On Sep 01, 2016
I just laugh whenever people call on the government or security agents to prevent these herdsmen from carrying AK-47s and other related weapons.

It's just impossible for them not to be armed to the teeth when you compare the monetary value of their livestock with the types of herdsmen pasturing them - some of these guys look so young and frail that disarming them will be a cakewalk - yet we keep deceiving ourselves by demanding that they dispense with firearms.
If that's done,cattle rustling would be the business all criminal-minded individuals would turn to.

As for the herdsmen,am finding it hard to shake off this feeling that they are hellbent on finishing what U**man Dan Fo*** started; nothing else can explain their unwillingness to build ranches for their cattle,when it's evident that such a move will benefit them more.

If they truly had an hidden agenda,someone should tell them that what the Janjaw33d did in Sudan shall not be tolerated here.

1 Like

Re: Anti-Grazing: Herdsmen’s Lawyer Disagrees With Fayose by codemaniacs: 9:36am On Sep 01, 2016
k
Re: Anti-Grazing: Herdsmen’s Lawyer Disagrees With Fayose by olagamalin(m): 9:40am On Sep 01, 2016
I'm yet to see a comment that considers the weighty logic of his point. How will they relocate.... Is it by magic, the lawyer proffered a solution of seeking authority but it wasn't considered. Are we saying herdsmen should permanently located in a single location.

As for the issue of carrying weapons or otherwise ....I thought we all grew up with the tales that Malams have dagger ....have we considered the activities of cattle rustlers. Can a rod meet up to the challenge?

Over and above ....I think we are merely getting ahead of ourselves. Because as much as laudable as Mr Fayose 's law is .... It will be ridiculed when it gets to the Superior appellate courts for determination in light of the Exclusivity of the offence of terrorism and the concept of covering the field.

I fear this is not the last on this thorny issue.
Re: Anti-Grazing: Herdsmen’s Lawyer Disagrees With Fayose by olagamalin(m): 9:41am On Sep 01, 2016
fosch:
I can't believe Nigeria is battling with issues like this in 21st century, when the world has gone far. Is Dubai,UAE talking about this? The herdsmen and the farmer are business people. Now tell me why the herdsmen would graze on another man's business,then you later sale your cattle and pocket the money leaving the farmer impoverished. Let the herdsmen farm in his ranch to feed his cattle...thatz d solution.lets keep politics aside.

We are a 3rd World Country.....what do you expect?
Re: Anti-Grazing: Herdsmen’s Lawyer Disagrees With Fayose by Felincous(m): 9:46am On Sep 01, 2016
rapistomenka:

Say dat again 2 ur father
cos dat's ma President.
What u dont hav u can't give.
Ndi ara, PRODUCT OF A LEAKING CONDOM
Re: Anti-Grazing: Herdsmen’s Lawyer Disagrees With Fayose by aribisala0(m): 9:48am On Sep 01, 2016
olagamalin:
I'm yet to see a comment that considers the weighty logic of his point. How will they relocate.... Is it by magic, the lawyer proffered a solution of seeking authority but it wasn't considered. Are we saying herdsmen should permanently located in a single location.

As for the issue of carrying weapons or otherwise ....I thought we all grew up with the tales that Malams have dagger ....have we considered the activities of cattle rustlers. Can a rod meet up to the challenge?

Over and above ....I think we are merely getting ahead of ourselves. Because as much as laudable as Mr Fayose 's law is .... It will be ridiculed when it gets to the Superior appellate courts for determination in light of the Exclusivity of the offence of terrorism and the concept of covering the field.

I fear this is not the last on this thorny issue.
How do they relocate in Germany or the US or France. Even in Nigeria they use trucks and we have heaard stories of truckfuls of cows suddenly arriving a village and being offloaded so nothing new there

How will they meet the "challenge" you ask. Well tell us what is the challenge first?

How do the rest of us meet the challenge of kidnapping and armed robbers and so on? Yes there is a security challenge in Nigeria for EVERYONE. not just them.
I agree that the terrorist clause is perhaps unwise but laws can always be amended . Terrorism is just sensationalism simply because terrorism is not defined in the law but NOTHING stops Ekiti making a terrorism law. All they need to do is amend the law and make it aggravated conspiracy with severe penalties. The other regulations are within the power of government to make. Our constitution is not much different from that of the US and there they have a way of "relocating" without trespass. That is the fundamental issue here; TRESPASS .
Please tell us where you get the claim about "exclusivity" on the offence of terrorism.( no argument just source)
Re: Anti-Grazing: Herdsmen’s Lawyer Disagrees With Fayose by Smooyis(m): 9:49am On Sep 01, 2016
Nomadic pastoralism is archaic. Creation of cattle ranch is the way out. Northern governors should work in partnership with these herdsmen for a change. Enough of this retrogressive practice.
Re: Anti-Grazing: Herdsmen’s Lawyer Disagrees With Fayose by codemaniacs: 9:57am On Sep 01, 2016
k

1 Like

Re: Anti-Grazing: Herdsmen’s Lawyer Disagrees With Fayose by makazona(m): 10:00am On Sep 01, 2016
I think why they need weapon is to ward of attackers especially in lonely places at night.

But with this bill,

* you don't need to move/graze at night.
* Trailers can be used for your daytime movements.

Now, there won't be any need for arms-no matter how light.
Re: Anti-Grazing: Herdsmen’s Lawyer Disagrees With Fayose by Smooyis(m): 10:03am On Sep 01, 2016
codemaniacs:

northern Nigeria is bigger than southern Nigeria... let them build ranches only in the north they said no that they want it all over the country..

It's not about cattle rearing its about dominating southern Nigeria even if it takes 1000 years to achieve that is their main goal...

How many northern politicians have condemned killings of southerners even if condemning doesn't do anything

They will never succeed. Reason why they remain undeveloped for years. Conquering the whole South is a mission impossible.
Re: Anti-Grazing: Herdsmen’s Lawyer Disagrees With Fayose by codemaniacs: 10:18am On Sep 01, 2016
k

1 Like

Re: Anti-Grazing: Herdsmen’s Lawyer Disagrees With Fayose by redsun(m): 10:21am On Sep 01, 2016
State governments and communities should go out against those marauding endangered species like the Nigerian government do against boko haram and the so-called Niger delta militant.

They are species that completely refused to evolve and their faith is inevitable extinction.
Re: Anti-Grazing: Herdsmen’s Lawyer Disagrees With Fayose by TheVictorious(m): 10:27am On Sep 01, 2016
Why didn't the said Imam speak out when the herds men were killing innocent victims in the state. Na now em fit talk

Meanwhile vote for queen_omalicha01 (contestant11) as AdaIgbo of UNILAG.......https://www.instagram.com/p/BJxc1P3hx7T/
Re: Anti-Grazing: Herdsmen’s Lawyer Disagrees With Fayose by 989900: 10:32am On Sep 01, 2016
He has a point . . . good to know their factory settings can be reset to civil.
Re: Anti-Grazing: Herdsmen’s Lawyer Disagrees With Fayose by lordkhalifa(m): 10:43am On Sep 01, 2016
Mr lawyer sharrap and move out of the way, if u can't respect the new law , kukuma disappear from ekiti state, lighter weapons to make their grazing easier, story for the gods, Law or No law in my state, any Fulani herdman's I see within perimeter of my fence I'm going to shoot him at close range, either innocent or not , sambisa forest has a vast land that would have accommodate those miscreants, let them go there and graze
Re: Anti-Grazing: Herdsmen’s Lawyer Disagrees With Fayose by ebenholer(m): 10:46am On Sep 01, 2016
Excuse me, is the lawyer out of his mind?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Nigeria’s Debt Reaching Critical Levels — NEITI / President Buhari Receives Omo-Agege, Wase At State House / Fani-Kayode: Peter Obi Taking Votes From PDP In The South-East

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.